Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

4, leave the light on, what ever you do :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm just waiting for the 'my forums' functionality to be restored!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

all crawling out the woodwork now (hur hur)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Put that bloody fire out! 😉

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

We will shortly have a motley crew to steer this ship to safer moorings.

Hopefully it dont sink before that😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyway...

i don't know why that's rotated 90 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

a bowl. i sprayed the inside green.

Thats a nice job, what size is it. Is it Sycamore??

It's probably nine inches across its widest dimension. Can't be sure what the wood is, as it was given to me in a bundle of firewood, but I suspect sycamore or maple. Just some leftover automotive spray paint I bought when restoring a bicycle, have sprayed some cheap Aldi lacquer on top since I took that photo.

• Advertisement

Its a nice change from a standard turned bowl, and the finish of the paintwork looks well.

I’ll take the woodworking chat over on **** at this stage. Can’t be bothered with the crap user experience here.

Sadly its like too much hard work here, and it seems to have no light at the end of the tunnel as far as I can see.

Any one want a one owner unused banning hammer, apply within😜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Jesus its shocking how bad the site is. Whoever signed off on this iteration of it should be fired

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

We'll all get used to the site, I'm sure folks, (even if it does feel like a pain in the arse to use)

I normally wouldn't even bother posting this, but might as well try keep the ball rolling here. This is a rough and ready storage shelf thing for bicycle accoutrements.

It's going on the wall of the shed, so not overly concerned with finish, although I'll probably give it a final sanding and slap on a bit of stain. It's been made with odds and ends from the scrap bucket. The deep storage pocket at the bottom will take gloves, skull cap thing for cold weather etc., the shelf above will take smaller items like my bike computer, and I'll probably put some hooks on to hold keys, bike lock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Table saw is level, power is up, work top next and then on to the vacuum solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bamayang

Did you buy or make the MFT top? Just purchased a makita track saw myself and interested in setting up a small mft table if there’s an easy way of getting a top.

Bought a template from these guys but its no longer available https://www.247wood.nl/en/mft-tools. Theres cheap template options using a drill and forstner bits, have a search for mft on adverts for example.

Old pink (credit the 5 year old) ply shed door cut down for worktop.

Im very jealous, i have zero space to set up anything. All my jobs take ages because of that reason which is very frustrating.

Best of luck with the setup

• Advertisement

Cheers, just clamping and cutting was a joy today compared to what I usually have to resort to!

Finally managed to make a wee frame for my Christmas present from the missus. The ikea one she got for it wasnt tight enough.

Gonna throw some osmo on it also. Hardly highly skilled work but happy enough with the result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Got a nice 3" thick slab of natural edge Apple a few months back. Finally got to turn a piece from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Very nice. If I didn't know, I'd have said it was Ash. I've only ever turned tiny pieces of apple branches, never seen anything that big before.

Lovely bowl. An awful waste of fantastic saw handles though. 😉

It looks a bit like Ash alright. A lot easier to turn, Ash can be very tough on the chisels.

I would have said ash too. I turned a good bit of apple before, but not big stuff.

I always found it very unstable, and a bugger for twisting and warping. Probably could have been drier for me.

very powerful grain in the bowl, it looks very well.😉

i really like turning apple. cuts well, not tough on the gouge. i've never been lucky enough to get large pieces, but often favour natural edge stuff where splitting won't be as much of an issue - but i've learned to store the wood indoors (in the house, not just in the shed) for a couple of months before finish turning it. one example here:

I think you will find any fruitwood a joy to turn.

I remember a neighbour giving me a load of plum wood for free. My workshop smelled of jam for weeks after. It was great.

Lots of character in fruitwoods too. Nice turnings there, I like them natural edge and not fussy, lets the wood shine through.

Far too nice for JZ's saw handles.

Perish the thought sir😁

• Advertisement

Saw handles 😮

Advertisement