Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

Halycon wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/wWt3bX1
    Trying to get into doing dovetails again. Might as well make something useful out of them.
    551852.jpg

I think I see the problem, that glass is empty.

Nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

NTC wrote: »
    I think I see the problem, that glass is empty.

Ah listen - it's only 11:40 in the morning, in Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

I have some crafty beers for later, don't you worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bamayang

Just finished a table for the deck. Had some old pitch pine beams that came out of recent roof refurbishment in my parents house, reckon they must be up on 100 years old. They were 9”x5” monster beams, ripped em down to use for the top.
    They were riddled with nails, so rather than risk trying to plane square, got them as close as a I could and ran m12 rod through the whole thing and bolted it tight.

OYvpZ4t.jpg

kuQMIr8.jpg

fDPsA5o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not as elaborate as some of you lot but I'm still very much a beginner!

Kayak rack made with fence-posts and hand cut joinery:
    552502.jpg

A planter for Mrs Sleepy out of palletwood and some scrap 2x4:
    552503.jpg

Filler is definitely my friend, painted and planted:
    552504.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sleepy wrote: »
    Not as elaborate as some of you lot but I'm still very much a beginner!

Nice work Sleepy, don't diminish your skills by comparison.
    Most of us hobbyists do this sort of stuff for the personal enjoyment.
    Then it adds to the house etc, I trust Mrs Sleepy is awake to your skills.
    Adulation on a forum is way down my list, unless you want to become a social influencer:, WETF that means:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice work there.

Woodworking is life long learning. Its only when you think you have it mastered ,
    you realize you haven't.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Just finished a table for the garden, it's not well executed but it was a good learning curve: measure twice cut once didn't really work for me I had to redo the legs twice, but at least now I know that I'm better in using hand saw than jigsaw/
    I used 75X44MM white deal PAO for the top and 75X75MM white deal rough for the legs, burned the surface and treated with boiled linseed oil.
    Wheels added to move it around and position on the lawn as it is uneven and also to keep distance from the soil/ humidity.
    Pretty sure it's wobbly on a flat/hard surface, thankfully I don't have a patio in my garden :D

I cannot attach the photos in boards, so
    https://imgur.com/a/zyvjQDh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

My fifth pen was a pencil :)

2021-05-08-19.04.14a-1.jpg

2021-05-08-19.03.47a-1.jpg

Karelian birch stabilised with blue plexiglas. Kit and blank came from feinesholz.de. Used a keychain fob kit from the carpentry store with the little offcut of blank that was left rather than discard it 'cos feinesholz is spendy.

Good skew practice, but it did look like I'd shawarma'd a smurf while making it.

2021-05-08-14.34.42a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Got an order for a clock, with a special inscription on it, a verse from the bible. 300mm x 55mm deep. First time using my "big" laser, 400x430 bed. The spalted Beech was slightly out of balance, but I managed to get the better of it...I think!

E1i7JabXEAYsLA2?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Matthew Mayo.mick 6:33... timeless :)

is it stopped?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

is it stopped?

Nah, it's just a picture :D

Matthew Mayo.mick 6:33... timeless :)

is it stopped?

Right twice a day.....:D

Hands in that position just for pic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Had some short pieces of oak & walnut left, got a few orders from the boss :)

XxB5dY4l.jpg

E6AdEKUl.jpg

tX4ovjKl.jpg

I1gxcDtl.jpg

5vAgvMjl.jpg

When you have a small workshop, space is at a premium, you have to make the most of what you have! I'd no room left on any walls, or shelves wide enough to store my large laser. The smaller one is in a storage box, so I made use of some space under the workbench to store both of them, along with their bits & bobs.

E1xBGGJXoAMTHSk?format=jpg&name=small

E1xPVNOXMAYIHFq?format=jpg&name=small

E1xUtciWEAcMxVX?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Where you buy the big laser?

laugh wrote: »
    Where you buy the big laser?

Got it from here;
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001089890181.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.productList_1177765761.subject_2

Need to factor in customs charges though. Mine got shipped with DHL, they charged me €53 to clear customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

mayo.mick wrote: »
    When you have a small workshop, space is at a premium, you have to make the most of what you have! I'd no room left on any walls, or shelves wide enough to store my large laser. The smaller one is in a storage box, so I made use of some space under the workbench to store both of them, along with their bits & bobs.

That's a monster of a bench Mick - I love it - telegraph pole sections for legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Got it from here;
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001089890181.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.productList_1177765761.subject_2

Need to factor in customs charges though. Mine got shipped with DHL, they charged me €53 to clear customs.

Cheers Mick!

That's a monster of a bench Mick - I love it - telegraph pole sections for legs?

Esb poles and railway sleepers. Bench my dad made back in the early 70's, god rest him. Only changed the original timbers in the jaws of the vice a few weeks ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Just finished the coffee table for my living room.

IMG-1152290508-114343.jpg

IMG-1152431021-101041.jpg

IMG-1152440320-111614.jpg

IMG-1152441230-110658.jpg

IMG-1152450323-064842.jpg

IMG-1152470923-133621.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

glynf wrote: »
    Finished my sideboard at last. Bit of a challenge this one-it is 20mm shallower than I wanted due to a router bit with a dodgy bearing which broke, challenging wood grain that was a PITA to plane, etc. but still happy with it.

That's a very nice sideboard. I'd love to be able to make something like this. Would you mind telling what set up you / what tools you used to create this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Ideo wrote: »
    That's a very nice sideboard. I'd love to be able to make something like this. Would you mind telling what set up you / what tools you used to create this?

Thanks. I ued a track saw & table saw for cutting. A track saw would do far all cuts, though the table saw was great for repeated/cross cuts and splines for the mitered joints.

The front chamfer and dado's for the two vertical dividers were done with a 1/2" & trim routers.

Joints on the base section were done with glue and a domino, I joined to the carcass with screws in elongated holes in case of wood movement-not sure if this is really an issue as its not in direct sunlight and the room its in has a fairly consistent temperature-but did it anyway just in case.

Battery drill used for all holes as I don't have a drill press.

Sanded using a random orbital to begin, and hand sanded before final coat of osmo oil finish.

Battery drill used for all holes as I don't have a drill press.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Using up scraps

A bit more progress, did a little dance when I found ply the right depth for the bases of the units on either side. My track saw and table saw are in storage so all I have is a mitre and jigsaw to hand.

Nice job there Duk, makes my workshop look like a tip. BUt I have way,way too many things on the boil

at the moment. My new shed roof for my classic, homeplace garage roof, lpg cooker conversion........

So can you stop posting them nice workshop pics, please😀

Thanks! It'll never last, this section of work bench will be just over 3 meters, I'm planning a cyclone vac system and power just above it and then additional storage above that. The sheds lost about 6 m2 to a small gym room so I don't know how I'm going to fit all the crap in. I'm currently trying to use as much scrap as I have to make this all work, I've spent more on paint than anything else. The old shed ply door will be turned into the worktop either side of the mft table.

Looks like we are the last two here, everyone else is gone home, or been site banned😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Hopefully everyone finds their way back here, they’ve not made it easy unfortunately..!

• Advertisement

Three survivors now. Light a beacon on the beach, they might see that and find their way home.😀

Advertisement