Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really good episode that. Just one thing I am not sure works. Your man said he had seen this shower on Aldhani twice and he has been on the planet 7 years so I'd it's every 3 years so this is his third year on the 7th year on the planet. Awe maybe it works out after all.

Next episode should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,820 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Or saw it in his 1st year, 4th year and now in his 7th year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's amazing how this show looks so much more expensive and well developed than everything before it, sorry to remind you all of Boba Fett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

This is great. The 1920s Amsterdam Bauhaus reference is so cool. These lads just get it. They have really put Filoni and Happy in the shade with this show.

https://twitter.com/NatGeoTravel/status/1575274368460111874?s=20&t=I3rShdmjbeOG6kgIH7bF2A

Another thing that really impressed me is how Coruscant looks more like a place people live and work, as opposed to the Prequels' computerised version which never gave viewers a sense of scale. And a nice reference here for Formula 1 fans.

https://twitter.com/SWTV_Updates/status/1575498072771424258?s=20&t=I3rShdmjbeOG6kgIH7bF2A

Yeah I agree with those who have said the whole feel of it is great and the lack of obvious cgi makes it so much better to watch.

Fair play to the makers they must have had a lot of pressure on them to stay in the whole Disney over cgi everything and to stick to the guns and go with the whole real sets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched episode 2 and yes, while technically not much "happened" this was fantastic. Great little vignettes of all the cast, including some new, all table setting for what I presume are events coming to a head.

I'm actually quite amazed, after a sequence of such open nostalgic hits, including Mando, this show has so far ploughed such a unique and singular vision. This is the world of Star Wars - like, literally the world people live in. No Skywalkers, no empire even! The reality being, of course, delegation and collaboration with (powerful) corporations. Even with a clone army corporations would have a stranglehold on certain sectors that necessitated the empire working with them.. we'll see I guess, especially once the empire turn up.

Were the flashbacks hints towards some ecological angle? Quite arresting to see the net result of mining on a planetary scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I almost felt sorry for the deputy inspector forced to go home to his mother

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

He looks like he's at a crossroads. He could join either side I'm thinking.

• Advertisement

He could see through all the BS and realize the rebels are right or blame Cassian for the destruction of his life and hunt him down.

Definitely up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another very strong episode. It really looks terrific alright top notch sets (talk about no expense spared!) and locations. A world a way from Boba Fett etc.

If feels like a proper TV show, lots of interesting story threads and characters and really interested where it will go.

When it comes to some of the new faces some terrific actors like Alex Lawther, Denise Gough (cracking as usual), Genevieve O'Reilly and Faye Marsay, one weak link imo is Ben Bailey Smith...a bit wooden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@gmisk don't think you need spoilers to discuss the cast! ... I was impressed with Ben Bailey Smith, I thought it was all about exercising control, deliberately 'stiff' to not give anything away rather than wooden.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I did that by accident ha.

I just haven't seen him act really and found it a bit jarring but you might be right. I thought Denise Gough acted him off the screen tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I guess that shows how subjective it is... I thought the scene worked because of the contrast between the two of them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Episode 5 - that was a slow one let's be honest I enjoyed it but it felt very like a bridging episode, some nice character stuff I especially liked the rather mundane Syril Karn scenes with his mother. Nice to get a glimpse inside of the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

May have been slow but still a good episode, they must have paid the writers for this show

True that...unlike the boba fett and obi wan series it feels like they have put thought and attention into the script.

As I said I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

ah come release them in 90 min chunks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Writers/Directors so far..

1-3: Toby Haynes / Tony Gilroy

4-6: Susanna White / Dan Gilroy

I almost don't want to see the next changing of the guards. Susanna and Dans work has been really good!

5: Solid development. Pieces of everyones stories slowly being peeled back. The big picture, the little pictures.. it's all making sense and yet it's still all a mystery how it will play out. This is top stuff.

That husband of Mon Mothma looks like he's getting too close. I'm thinking he might get offed or she'll dart.

I looked up the young lad in the group. He seemed familiar. He was one of the joint leads, James, in The End of the F***ing World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I looked up the young lad in the group. He seemed familiar. He was one of the joint leads, James, in The End of the F***ing World.

He'll always be young Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, to me.

Another solid episode. Building the tension and anticipation for the next really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Man, they are really blue-balling me with this heist..... again we have a Disney show that feels like a 3 hour movie stretched out over 5-6 hours and chopped up in a manner that makes the pacing feel odd.

This is by far the best Star Wars show Disney have produced though, it's amazing what you can achieve by occasionally throwing a smidgin of that dump truck of cash spent spent on content at an actual writer with a track record for...writing.

That said it's still a show of two halves.

On the one hand you have the fascinating exploration of the Imperial bureaucracy, if the Empire was real you could not help but think that this is exactly how they would operate. It’s not just well written in terms of world building and plot, the characters motivations are also both interesting and complex and I'm genuinely curious about what direction they are going to go.

On the other hand you have the rebels, who continue to be very 2 dimensional, we have the laughable ‘Blandor of the Jungle’ and a string of muppets incapable of going more than 5 minutes without putting a knife to each other’s throats for no reason other then the scene could use a little ‘drama’. The rebels seem like they are in a different, less interesting show written by completely different writers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and I can see why some found this to be the point the show properly announced itself. Definitely the most propulsive of the opening episodes but IMO, that it hit so hard was precisely because of those previous 2 episodes worth of character backstory and table-setting made it impact harder.

The attack only being as effective as it was because we just watched all those various orbits finally coalesce. The outcome of it having more emotionality because - for instance - we spent some downtime watching the lives of people on Ferrix. It wasn't particularly deep but enough to make the place and people feel lived in. Basically: good storytelling.

The action was simple, but punchy and had a rugged sense of tangibility. I think this was the first time in a while Star Wars' lasers felt dangerous, impactful. Like the cast were in a proper gunfight, as opposed to pew pew spectacle.

And yeah. First two proper moments of cursing in Star Wars? Why not? Commit to the tone, no point half àrsing it, might as well push the rating as far as possible.

Also, the actor playing that sniveling corpo officer really keeps reminding me of a young Kyle McLachlan.

Not as down on Andor himself as others. Yes he's a bit of a passenger in his own story and a tad bland, but Diego Luna carries enough tired dignity to make me feel for the guy. He does need a bit more agency in his own story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disappointed by the most recent instalment. Another filler episode. Get to the action already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No filler happening there. This is the episode where Andor shows his reason for being in this place is more than just money, He's building some sort of bond with the other people, not deliberately but by circumstance. It's slow, but not uneventful.

So far, I'm finding it very difficult to be that critical of it.

But, I do think that an hour for each episode would have been much better than the 30/35 minutes that we're getting. So 6 to 8 episodes at 60 minutes each? Things would move along quicker, no doubt.

Ms

Very dissapoibted with the latest episode. They are really dragging it out. I guess next episode should be the big one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Andor/Luna is definitely the weak part of this - very bland character and ok actor, not very interesting at all.

pacing isn’t great - whole series is just ok.

but it’s the best Star Wars tv show so far although the bar was set low. Loving the lack of cgi though.

Decent episode mostly thanks to the empire stories. The rebel storyline is just too much of a cliche "new guy on the team" story.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭winstonia

Yeah, this is a great take on Star Wars. Love the lad getting sent back to his mother, in fighting in the empire etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow that was heart-stopping stuff, literally so for one imperial officer...

Advertisement