Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That's one of my main issues with the game actually there's no way to check your current status on quests or even what quests there are in the first place! I know I've done a fair few but just some seeing things online there are more but where **** are they!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah I feel ye, when I first started the game I was just winging it, say I was looking for the next NPC location based on what they said they could be anywhere in that area, could be searching for ages🥲

So at that point of start looking up locations.

I've completed the majority of the quests now , think I've touched on all the npc quests at some point. Like the dung eater and volcano manor were tough ones cause progressing something else can lock you out of certain outcomes so you needed to push into areas I felt quite under levelled for, shunning grounds comes to mind.

I feel like the quests are meant for multiple playthroughs. While it has been a pain doing all them on one character if I play through another character I'll be picking on choosing based on weather I want that ending or specific loot.

I do like the little tid bits of lore though so that's keeping me going doing them.

So fully upgraded the Blasphemes Blade went straight in and finished the two bosses! Jumped straight into Ng+ haha. Beat Margit and Godrick the grafted without any bother. It's mad going through the game again and everything is a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Saw the post here about the blasphemous blade and did the same. Absolutely rinsed the last two bosses first try. Don't think I even took damage from the first one.

In NG+ are the enemies still the same as they were at the start of the game? i.e. will I be starting at a level way higher relative to the enemies I'll be meeting or are the baddies scaled up?

From what I've seen so far there scaled to a degree definitely feels that way. I mean your beating them much easier then first the time around but nothing ridiculous.

• Advertisement

OK right I can see why the hype about Malenia's difficulty, had four attempts at her last night and thought I got her but then.....i wont spoil it for anyone just incase 🤣

Spent the rest of the night clearing the capital when a friend summoned me and helped him get the mountain tops. Reckon Malenia will take a few goes. I'll have to try some stuff out.

I'm not gonna grind her though, I'll take goes here and there until I have no one left but her.

I've finished Millicents quest aswell which was nice, sided with her(seems a decent sort), got rotten winged sword talisman for it.

Nice boost for me with Eleonoras polearm and Godskin Peeler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

She's probably the only boss I can equate to Sekiro in that I saw a definite strategy form in my head the more times I faced her. I can't say I got that with any other ER boss. Mainly, You just need to learn how to skip through that waterfowl bllox and then exploit her snoozy time in the big rot flower.

Back to this a day or two ago after being away on hols. Shelved Malenia for now. In farm azula at the boss gate now. If I get a chance gonna try him(her?) out tonight.

Also made some decent progress on an alt. Str/faith build. 18hrs in have the 3 shard bearers in the south done and caria manor completed aswell. Gonna roll onto the capital next.

Amazing how much quicker it goes when ye have some clue of how the game works!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I would have loved if someone told me in the beginning not to bother collecting plants. What a complete waste of time that was...

Well got through the boss of the farm last night. Combed the ash capital, finished a quest there for another ending too and I'm ready to make my way up to the top and see what's changed there.

Not sure how close I am to the end but the pacing seems to have definitely picked up.

Edit: The next two bosses are dead, im at duo fight now. Second stage down to about 75% first go, this is gonna be tough. Is this the last fight? I think it is😳😁

Post edited by EoinHef on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At least unlike some other games, there's no animation for picking up items, so I usually just collected all plants in my path but rarely went out of my way for them, unless they looked extra shiny or rare.

So got back to this, beat malenia yesterday and got the final bosses today. Went with the ranni ending, bit anti climactic but was always gonna be after the journey i reckon no matter what ending I chose.

Did get the Flame of frenzy but decided to cancel it last minute. Nice boss fight to do that though, very cinematic. So got the loot not the ending.

Absolutely amazing game for me, best ive ever played. Some very small gripes but not many.

I'll roll this character into ng+ soon I reckon but I've a faith strength character I wanna play with too.

Some mention of dlc anyday now would be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've gotten reeled back into this again. I finished it and now I'm on NG+ exploring the Consecrated Snowfields, Haligtree and the Shunning Grounds as I never saw any of these areas on my first play through. I've fully upgraded 2 Godskin Peelers and they are wrecking everything but the big boys in the shunning grounds are still tough, so much HP. I think I will persevere with that area to get the alternate ending. The side quests are basically unfathomable even with guides so I might not bother with them. This game really needs some sort of basic journal for side quests. The devs put a lot of hours into them but it's a part of the game that I suspect most players won't even bother with because they can't figure out where to go or who to talk to etc. Great game but not without its flaws.

I think in a way, they don't have any sort of journal or quest log because ultimately its about your own journey through the game, like a lot of RPGs. The side quests can give different endings, but aren't required to complete the game. You can skip every single one of them and still complete the game. So you're rewarded with extra content by constantly exploring, paying attention to every line of dialogue, reading item descriptions etc, which can even lead to alternate endings, or "true" endings.

But there could definitely be a better balance to it, where it's not quite as obtuse or hidden, but also still challenges you to pay attention and have to put some effort in rather than just the quest log giving you step-by-step instructions.

Just over 10hrs in NG+ 1 and I'm back at the fire giant.

I explored so much in my first playthrough I'm finding I don't need to stop for loot really. Also had all the smithing and somber bell bearings which carry over so only really need the ancient ones. I am gonna take inventory before going NG+2 and make sure I have 2 of each of the weapons I might use

Got a second Godskin and Eleonoras polearm so far.

Even a basic text log of NPC conversations would be nice.

After trying and failing god knows how many times to get past the black knife assassins at Odina I've realised I'll never get to the Haligtree or fight Melania which is a bit disappointing. I can't understand how that part of the game or "puzzle" ever got signed off on by the devs, I'm up for a challenge but this is straight up broken. It's literally impossible unless you use the sentry torch (which you will only know exists if you google it after spending 20 mins trying to fight invisible enemies) and then it becomes barely possible. My character is level 185 with 60 vigor, they can kill me in 2 hits easily and you have to fight 4 of them with no summon, horse or any help whatsoever. You can't use magic or a weapon art because you have to have the torch in your hand if you want to see the enemies. It's totally broken, I suppose having some dead end dungeon with BS like this in it is fine and there's plenty of them in the game but they shouldn't lock entire areas of the game behind these broken fights. It's the only thing left in the Consecrated Snowfields for me so that just leaves the Shunning Grounds.

You don't have to fight them, and each brazier stays lit even if you die. Sprint to the one at ground level and light it. If you die, then it doesn't matter as you have it lit. Then sprint to the ladders and once you're off the ground the assassin can't get you. Plot your route to get up onto the rooftops. Once up there you only have to worry about the archers, but some decent dodging or a 100% shield will get you through. Also use the roofs and buildings for cover from the other archers. You can attack the archers when you get close or at least just knock them off the roof if possible.

It's definitely a challenge, but it's not a fight. Even if you killed the assassin I think another one spawns. Don't try to fight, just sprint and get the braziers lit.

They just kill me with that grab attack that one shots me if I try to run around them, it's not worth the effort, there are a lot of areas in the game like this. Better off ignoring them, they may change it in a patch in the future then it might be worth it. Seems like a design oversite to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Tbh I didn't realize there was a torch to help with that area til after I was through it, would make it alot easier alright.

The fact you don't need to re-light braziers helps alot. On my first go, I lit one and then one of the assassins killed me. Then I found the other two before entering the evergaol to figure out how to get to them, and just legged it to both once I entered it.

• Advertisement

Yeah have to say that was not a very fun area.

I did have the torch though because of my exploration OCD but as Penn said, it's not nessacery.

The biggest challenge for was actually getting to the rooftop braziers, those archers have crazy tracking on their arrows.

I was very glad to see the braziers stay lit even upon death though, that would have been super annoying.

But yeah, just run to the ground one and take the death to get it lit. Also shooting an arrow or two behind the archers to distract them and make them look a different direction is quite useful. Gives you a second or two extra to make accross the rooftops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I remember that bit being a pain but they are definitely beatable. I don't think I finished the game with 60 vigor. . .maybe 50 plus a soreseal (that what they were called?). I didn't think of just running by them. I think my battle mage build came good there. . .especially for the archers

Edit - pulled from youtube clip - there's my stats at Malenia - I really had no clue what I was at build-wise

Just finished NG+ there, 21hrs to get through it the second time.

After the Fire Giant I decided to start looking at new weapons, twinblades have served me well since i started the game but needed a change so decided to go with dual reduvia daggers, was very surprised, absolutely shreads with an arcane build. Minimal stamina use aswell, pretty awesome.

Tried a few other weapons, dual astel wings to name one, but the daggers felt the best

I finished NG+ at level 207, I think I finished the first time about 175-180.

Onto Journey 3 now, just need the Flame ending for the plat. Helped mate get through the last bits so he finished it for the first time.

We started the new journey at the same time last night.

Be my first ever plat, as well. And I've been playing games since before they were even a thing🤣

Don't I could be arsed with a third playthrough, might not even finish the second.

Normally I'd be the same. A lot of times I wouldn't even finish games once.

Just something about this game has captured my imagination, love trying out new weapons now and I'm very slowly building up some faith at this point which will unlock another bunch of weapons and we roll on.

I will be done after the 3rd playthrough though. I have alts but I'll leave them be, if dlc start point is a certain level i might use them for that.

I havent touched MP either other than to play with my mate. Not mad into PvP but wouldn't mind coop with randoms as in all the time I've put in I've never summoned anyone or invaded them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I would normally be the same too, especially as I got a little burned out on Elden Ring (like most people that game ate up all my free time for an entire month). I intentionally left a couple of areas and bosses for a second playthrough.

Co-op in this game doesn't really work as you just get constantly invaded so you can't actually make progress, you just end up fighting invaders and as soon as you kill one another invades. You can't be invaded while fighting a boss so co op for boss fights works ok but if you want to help someone clear Castle Sol or a dungeon or some other area like that it doesn't really work. They need to add an option to turn invasions off.

I'd just be putting summon down for bosses, wouldn't be looking to explore with randoms.

Yeah me and my mate were invaded quite a bit, initially was very annoying but once we got more familiar with the areas we just did our best to get close to a Grace. We would just sit there and wait for the invader then.

Few times had a bit of fun with the mimic veil aswell but in general I wouldnt mind a switch to turn invasions off too.

If my mate had a PC I would have got him to get the game there for seamless coop mod but ended up playing it on PS5

• Advertisement

Platinum achieved, first ever platinum. Probably my last unless something else amazing comes along.

I'll be putting the game down now till there's dlc, what a great game👍

Advertisement