Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is my Redemption Arc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Weirdly enough the stress this week solidified the belief in myself that no matter what I should be able to knock out a 50 mile week even when stress is high without it impacting its more a confidence booster than anything. In terms of the speed I would like to be honest I am very happy with the pace of the progression to be honest. I think we can rush to hit paces and a superficial fitness often (I have been there myself where I have got fit in 10 weeks) but I think the long slower progression builds a level of fitness that might not be as quantifiable but ultimate I feel stands to a runner better. I have seen people race on a knife edge and smash a big PB based on fitness but ultimately they might blow up in 9/10 attempts to do that and rely on stars aligning, that deeper level of fitness for me kinda comes in the form of something not going right on the day and having the fitness etc to be able to roll with it. That robustness is what I am to get back rather than simply fast times.

The two hour thing is more a physiological basis. If I was marathon training on tired legs it would probably slow to closer to MP but I think if its effort base on these shorter tempo's or interval style reps then it takes out cardiac drift etc to get you to the right HR effort for where I want to be. I like this range of paces more because you can incorporate it into tempo's/threshold endurance base with a buffer to allow for windier/hillier conditions without overcooking the workouts. I tend to try and keep things honest in terms of courses etc and as such paces on paper might be a bit conservative but offset by trying to keep it honest. Comes back to the idea of consistent solid work is better than inconsistent and smashing it once in a while

Correct you are good to see old students still on the ball. Have edited that now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Super stuff as always. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

I don't know how to quote or highlight part of a post but what you said about the long slower progression building a more sustainable level of fitness is so spot on. I think we are all guilty of wanting instant gratification and can knock out a 10-12 week plan and if we are lucky enough to get through it injury free and the stars align a big PB can come on the day. But then the wheels come off either with fatigue or injury!! as its built on a foundation of sand.

The real gains come from the consistent and sustainable build up and that does get you through the races where things start to go wrong. Only took me 10 years of running to figure that one out!! 😯

Wednesday - 7 miles easy (8.26 mile pace)

Thursday - 4 miles easy (8.31 mile pace)

Friday - 8x30 sec hills (2 min walk/jog recovery)

Saturday - OFF

Sunday - 10 miles incl 4 miles moderate (8.10 pace)

(splits: 7.47, 7.47, 7.49, 7.37)

Bit of a strange week, mileage wise not great (34 mile total) but all the components to a solid week so I suppose I will take that. Wednesday and the previous week was catching up on me. Dropped the kids to creche and came home and fell asleep for 2 hours before work. Kinda through things out as it meant a late run but to be honest it worked out perfectly Full moon was spectacular and into the park (had the place to myself) definitely a good one for the soul. Kept the run undulating going up and down multiple hills within a 1 mile loop for most of it.

Thursday and I thought to myself a sneaky double would make up for missing monday, was stuck for time in the morning however little lad scuppered that with a full moon howl that would make wolves cower. Couple more teeth on the way as if the little guy hasn't had enough of a rough time of it as of late. As such the evening run was gone and so to was keeping this week on track mileage wise. Had to keep reminding myself that volume is a bi product of training rather than the aim.

Friday and the weather was cack, windy, wet, cold but in a weird way it was the perfect session for it as reps were short and recoveries were long, it was also time based so was just about ticking the box and being honest with the effort rather than paces. This was the first non base building type workout since I started back with the effort veering beyond the general aerobic base building. The hill was a solid one (6-7% gradient) albeit a bit busier than I would like (one I had pencilled in for late night sessions as well lit)

In truth I definitely underestimated this session between the effort being close to mile effort and the cold air I was blowing out my ar$e within a few reps. The last few were damage control and just trying to get within touching distance of the bench mark set in first one. Was on my hands and knees by the end with a bit of dry wretching. The perfect session to humble and ego and remind that there is a long way to go in the return to fitness

Saturday was an off day won't lie just didn't have the motivation to get out. It was the first day off work in 10 days and with the covid week the previous one I just couldn't face getting out the door in the conditions that were there. I don't think the tiredness however is simply attributable to things catching up on me though. This time of year is always a killer with me as there tends to be lillies in the house (for herself for V day) and the pollen plays havoc on me so I think this definitely attributed to the lethargy this week its something I forgot the last 12 months without the running and simply being tired with a newborn. Need to get more creative with non floral gifts to save myself some grief.

Sunday and motivation still not in huge abundance to get out in that weather but dragged myself out, nothing to special with this run. The moderate miles didn't feel overly great but they got done.

All in all 2 sessions and long run so not a terrible week but hopefully a bit more fresh for this one

Monday - 4 mile recovery (9.06 min pace)

Tuesday - 3 mile tempo (4 min) 2 x 1 mile LT, 6 x 80m hillsprints

Splits: 7.04, 6.44, 6.41

Wednesday - 7.5 miles moderate (7.40 min pace)

Thursday - 8 miles incl 7x15 sec strides (45s)

Friday - 7 miles progression

Splits : 7.49, 7.28, 7.22, 7.16, 7.05, 6.56, 6.49

Saturday - 7.5 miles incl 7x15 sec strides (45s)

Solid if not stellar week. Monday just an easy flush out in freezing temps. Tuesday herself had an appointment so after dropping her there ended up heading down to Eamonn Ceannt park. Temporarily lived in the area a few years ago and this was a regular route for sessions. The park itself is approx 1 mile loop so perfect for tempo work. Paces were slow but it was windy as hell so was definitely working. Hadn't had brekkie either so I think HR was a little high from that but all in all very solid session. Hill sprints were simply a stretch of tarmac up a hill so very ad hoc rather than the 20s ones I had planned so take that distance with a pinch of salt

Wednesday and another appointment so had an hour and chanced getting up to the phoenix park (thankfully within range) I think I was reading a post from demfad that was stuck in my head during the week as I took a notion to seek out every hill I could find so looped over and back around the magazine fort. Again windy so by the time I got to the park I had been working and never really let up on the effort despite remaining controlled. Tne broken rhythm had me hitting faster paces then I felt

Thursday night and again another hillier route but kept it alot more controlled

Friday's progression was cut short. Could have dug in for this one but HR was a good bit higher than I would like and knew that if I forced it I would dig myself into a hole. Still slowly base building and consistency is more important. Some days require hero's and other days require sense. This was one of the latter. Perhaps it was the hills and the moderate run or maybe it was the fact that Lilies have bloomed in the house and done a number on me, what ever it was still need to step back and take perspective. This stage of my training is about building me up so more important to undercook and remain consistent vs overcook it.

Had a reminder of the importance of consistency and perseverance over the weekend. Ex training partner from college finished off a unique hattrick of National Titles over the weekend - Novice, Inter and Senior over the last few years. Back in college he struggled to break 2.20 for 800 and 17 min for 5k but has continued to grind out week after week, month after month and year after year. Nothing earth shattering simply continually showing up and putting in the work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Nice consistency!

You seriously need to think of a better gift than flowers if they affect you that much😉😊

February Review

February Targets

Mileage: 180 miles in February - 165 miles total

Days run: 25 - 24 days out of 28

Consecutive days run: 18 - Best running streak 2x7

Overall a solid month. Felt a bit low last week as week went on (mixture of not feeling great with lurgies and a few doubts) but looking back in general it is a good month and a step in the right direction. Didn't hit the targets I laid out but it just highlighted that they are good stretching goals. I ran more miles this month over the same number of days meaning that I had less off days in the month due to three less calendar days. Still in two minds about extending the base a little bit longer while I am still getting the gains and building aerobically without burying myself. The fact that I could manage this month with alot of stress (covid in the house) stands to me better than and all or nothing approach for now so I might have to continue to have a bit more patience

March Targets

Mileage: 200

Days running 27/31

Running Streak: 10 days

Forgot how much they affect me when in heavy training. With the 1 year old about the house sleep been so poor that when I wasn't running I just put feeling crap down to that :p

Sunday OFF

Monday - 4 mile recovery (9.26 min pace)

Tuesday - 3x(4,3,2,1 min w/ 90 sec float) 3 min between sets

Wednesday - 5 mile easy (8.04 min pace)

Thursday - 7.5 miles incl 7x15 sec strides

Friday 8 mile progression

Splits - 7.53, 7.32, 7.19, 7.09, 6.55, 6.45, 6.32, 6.26

This week looks a lot better on paper that it felt. Not sure whether the allergies were the cause or head cold or combination of the two but head was swimming and the sinuses were so bad they became inflamed as the week went on didn't help that the little lads sleep patterns still snookered with the teeth. Sunday I was falling asleep at dinner so just didn't have it in me for a long run so bagged it to try and shake. The HR was okay and covid tests back negative so wasn't concerned about getting out running but I was always just doing bear minimum in terms of keeping the effort low.

Tuesdays session was actually most enjoyable session in a long time. Aim was to keep this to LT effort and float the recoveries at steady effort. This was ran in control throughout which was perfect as was having doubts before with the way the head was. It's a deceptive session as well as works out at just shy of 3x15 min bouts of effort so happy to get that amount of volume at quality

Wednesday was stuck for time on lunch break. This was an inadvertent double day with 2.5 miles in the morning though as herself was on a driving lesson in the car and I had an errand to run before work so ran up without the watch.

Thursday uneventful albeit cracking morning for a run. for a run around the park. Ground was even dry enough to start looping back in some of the grass fields that are part of my normal runs in the park.

Friday again not feeling great to begin with (the sub zero temp didn't help) Sinuses inflamed so wasn't sure how the breathing would go with the higher effort especially as the first 2 miles I thought I was gonna be in trouble looped into the park as I didn't fancy 9x1 mile loops as could already feel was starting to play with my head a little so kinda ran a bit more on effort with it being dark it wasn't apparent the pace without hitting the light button so pace checks were more sporadic. Cruising by the last 3. One of the reasons I love these sessions is that as the effort goes up the miles get shorter (from time perspective) Finished feeling strong and controlled rather than all out. Have ran quicker recently on this but not by much and not feeling as strong as I did here by the end

Still keeping the show on the road despite the obstacles. Impressive. A couple of nice sessions there.

Teeth are a balls. Would be much easier if humans didn't have them. 🤣

• Advertisement

Tbf only averaging 40mpw so bit of flexibility prob struggle to maintain anything higher atm with way things are but fitness is building so hopefully that will come.

First lad wasn’t half as bad got them late but got them all in short space of time. This time around only respite between he has been sick with tonsils and covid the past few months. Hopefully clear the path come the summer and set me up for a bit of racing 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Oh you will be racing around the house soon enough 😂

Ha that’s why I am hoping to get some races early summer and then back into base when the new addition takes my nights again (not that second has helped there as I reckon 75% of nights in 2022 I have been on couch with him so far 🥲

Touching base on this as it as been an age

So where am I?

The racing plans never materialized over the summer so went back to the drawing board while I continued to run a bit I knew that some fundamental changes were needed if I was ever to get back to running consistently. The old saying of “If You Always Do What You've Always Done, You'll Always Get What You've Always Got.” So I have been working on myself the past while. I have been fighting against the tide for a number of years since the birth of my first which has led to bouts of hyper focus in short term followed by derailment in the face of adversity, this is a pattern which has been evident across all aspects of life.

So back in June from a training perspective I started from scratch 20 min regular runs, moved to 3 miles in July, 4 in August and 5 miles September. Humble beginnings but allowed me to start getting into a routine and by this month I was in a good routine (missing only 4 days during the month). Some of the changes I have made have certainly yielded huge physiological results. HR down by about 20 bpm on runs even at quicker paces that previously so running a bit quicker than I had in the past.

I attribute this to 3 factors

• Runs only 30-40 min so mileage quite low,
    • Anxiety definitely reduced with the aforementioned changes I am trying to make in terms of outlook and approach to life and while it might be coincidental I think general pressure seems to be managed better and as a result not in as stressed a state going out in runs despite overall productivity in life dramatically increasing
    • I have cut out coffee after 2pm. I have always been someone who consumed a lot of coffee and had what I thought relatively little to no affect however been following a few neuroscientists recently covering some interesting topics from social media to the mechanisms of caffeine consumption which pointed me to research around it's impacts on sleep vs the half life of caffeine. The shift definitely seems to be having positive impact. Despite a new born in the house and getting less than 5 hours I am still finding myself better rested than I was previously. This could be down to the middle lad (who was a terrible sleeper) being a bit more settled but I don't believe it is coincidental around the caffeine

What's the plan?

There is no target, I am simply building a base currently with 1 progression run and one higher quality run a week (long recoveries), 1 stride session

This last week saw me do following

5 mile progression - starting at 7.39 pace working down to 6.23

6x20 sec strides - 1 min jog between

2 x 1 mile steady/hard with 1 mile easy between - 6.05 & 5.52

Gonna keep tipping away for the foreseeable as long as continue to improve and remain consistent and hopefully get aerobically fit enough to train and get back to myself when I feel ready

This log

This log probably won't be as descriptive from a training aspect as I used to be however will always be happy to answer any questions. The last while I have been delving into the world of Stoicism and one aspect of that I have been regularly engaging in is journaling so this log will more than likely follow similar format so apologies to anyone for my incessant ramblings in advance

Great to see you back again. Nothing wrong with ramblings. Sometimes the most interesting stuff comes out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see you back, I agree with P, nothing wrong with ramblings, in fact I do it a lot myself but mine defo wouldn't be as interesting as yours😜

I went to see Karl the other day for my 1st sports massage, he was asking after you😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Haile

Great to see you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

There's an excitement about being where you are (from a running perspective) - knowing that there's a journey that can be made if you chose to do so - I suppose its about priorities right now and getting that balance.

It's how I have felt recently in terms of working through stuff. I think with it being here just gives some accountability as well as being able to frame it in a way that will tie into running.

Was wondering if you went with him alright when I saw the mention on strava, hopefully the body feeling good after a bit of an NCT, must get down to him myself haven't seen him since I left the TAC (No need for an NCT when the car is up on blocks :p)

It's funny you mention journey as this is a topic I have been thinking a lot about as of late in my musings. Spent a lot of the last few years on a journey to getting back to some sort of fitness only to repeat the cycle and has led me to really think about it as a mindset.

For me I think I need to get away from it being a journey towards a goal (get back fit, target X in the short term with the view of it becoming a launching pad back into the world of running) Recently read a great book called Atomic Habits by James Clear (well worth a read) one of the main tenets being around the notion of results/outcome orientated vs process driven. In the past I would have always considered myself the latter, however in retrospect I was probably paying a little bit of lip service to the notion. This will certainly be a journey going forward but rather than to a particular goal I am working towards the identity of a runner and what that will look like. Rather than looking to the future I am going to live in the moment and aim to improve by "winning the day", by this I mean I am simply going to focus on 24 hours and a time and work on facilitating the best possible day.

In the past I have beat myself up for not hitting targets and letting momentum dictate my productivity hence the faltering. The below graph is a really good visual of how doing the little things right as often as you can makes a huge difference (and why slip ups aren't as bad as we sometimes make out in our heads)

There is a good quote from Denzel Washington around this "If you fall... fall forward"

This all sounds good in theory but it is where I have been trying to put my effort. By this I mean that I have been working on making the most of the early morning wake ups with the newborn in order to get as much of the daily responsibilities out of the way to give me more freedom as the day goes on. I have generally been a yes man in a lot of aspects of my life to the point where I avoided conflict or argument. This has been my own detriment in the past. I think the Stoics used to refer to it as "Ivory shoulders" where I have never been afraid of taking on work but I would simply say yes and bear it rather than deal with fallout/conflict with others.

I heard a great idea a few days ago about the difference between yes and no, summed up so succinctly "Every time you say yes it's a extra responsibility while every time you say no it's an extra choice" Saying no, both to myself and taking easy way out and procrastinating is something I am working on in order to give me more choice to put effort into doing what I enjoy doing.

Given that this is a running log should probably tie this back to running but this is where a long term base with no goals in sight has been coming into play I have been letting the fitness build naturally. Tuesday was the first "session" where I wasn't feeling it. Rather than beat myself up I pulled the plug and went again the following day. Given it was base and the first night I was only working down to 6.45 when pulled the plug after 5k It hadn't taxed the body too much so physically was fine to regroup and go again. Previously that would have gnawed at me as a failed run but I saw it as a bonus run given I go out and every day that I get out running at the moment is a boost to the fitness and a day where I am not losing fitness

Splits from the 2nd attempt actually were enough to draw confidence from as well (5 mile progression starting at 7.28 working down to 6.16 mile pace)

Progression runs have been going well and have managed 4 consecutive weeks of 5 mile progression runs

5th Sept - 7.53, 7.23, 6.58, 6.46, 6.50* (* incline so increase effort)

12th Sept - 7.29, 7.07, 6.49, 6.32, 6.23

20th Sept - 7.39, 7.08, 6.51, 6.33, 6.23

28th Sept - 7.28, 7.03, 6.51, 6.30, 6.16

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super post! - quite a lot to take from it.

I read something recently that goes somewhat along the same lines - process over outcome (from Brad Stulberg)

1. Pick a goal that striving for will be fulfilling.
    2. Outline the steps to move forward to that goal.
    3. Largely forget about the goal focus on nailing the steps.

• Advertisement

This would have been my previous approach and I think in order to achieve it is definitely on the face of it the best way to achieve what you wish. I have found personally though this has been a pitfall somewhat in how I have approached time and time again as with the steps came pressure and a pass or fail mentality for me with each step being too rigid

Was listening to a podcast recently which really resonated with me where Matthew McConaughey talked about happiness being derived from achieving your goals being a momentary feeling vs joy in terms of the process.

We by our nature evolve our goals. How many runners are satisfied when they hit there target goal vs how many crest that hill only to look to the new horizon. Nothing wrong with that but If I can strive to enjoy what I do day in and day out without the validation of the outcome then I know I can sustain it more long term and results will be a by product of the joy I get from day to day

Stress

I was listening to a Steve Magness podcast yesterday on training principle advice from 50 years ago. Was interesting to see how little has changed. One of the principles related to stress/stimulus which used a great phrase "Environmental insults". meaning anything from a non training standpoint which can impact how you are set up for training that day whether it be hydration, sleep, stress, hangover, coffee intake etc etc. This is something I was always quite aware of as can all have an impact on HR and by extension effort. As anyone who has been coached by me I tend not to be one who uses very hard set paces and normally operate in in ranges to account for this.

In my own training I would have always been acutely aware of and it is part of the reason why anyone who follows my training would tend to know my easy paces would be what many considered very conservative but they were the right paces for me.

As I have said earlier anxiety has been something I have been dealing with a lot over the past few years. I was trying to fit everything in (work, running, coaching etc etc) and ultimately was getting into a boom bust cycle where i was always chasing one aspect at any given time and not making any progress as I was always chasing.

In recent times however there has been a shift. As mentioned reading a lot on Stoicism and trying to adopt many principles some around productivity etc. and one that I have really bought into is "Own the morning" I have tried to embrace the early mornings with the new born. In the past I would have been adapting my training because of a lack of sleep yet now I am trying to harness it. From 5am is the time of least distraction meaning that I have really focused on getting what needs to be done, done so I have used this time to get simple jobs done - house work, school lunches, yoga etc. Things I can cross off the list for the day. By the time the whole house has come to I have ticked off enough that has allowed a bit more freedom for myself as the day goes on.

Those early hours have been crucial in de stressing my life as i am not chasing and allows me to really focus later on and get things done rather than trying to juggle. Multi tasking has been my downfall in the past and now I am aiming at a series of quick wins through the day. I do believe this has allowed me to decrease the HR in general which has allowed me to run faster at easier effort. This in itself has helped me save time as runs take less time for now.

While it might not be everyone's cup of tea I think if you can use the early hours of the morning for best use whether that is training in itself at time of least daily stresses having a physical impact or whether it is ticking off what needs to be done in order to take pressure off the day. "Well begun is half done" While I am not saying I have cracked this or that the change in the weather is gonna really put this to the test but it is something I am striving for each day.

I heard an audience member of a podcast I am listening to refer to this as "killing the chaos" which in itself I thought was a great way to put it

I know some of you might have followed him in the past but there was a great blog by Jason Cherriman (on blogspot IIRC and well worth a read) who went from 3.13 marathon to 2.21 who use to run at 4am in order to not have it interfere with work and home life

To summarise your post and new finding: you are getting old 😁

an approach I started to follow a few months ago (also based on processes): do step one before you worry about step 10.

means people usually worry too much about the what if and I need to be prepared if… that they forget to do step 1 first. I can only think of one scenario where you need to think about step 4 before you actually do the first step and that is when playing snooker. When you are in full control of the table and you need to make sure to be in position for the next few shots.

running however, you can plan ahead as much as you like there are things you can’t control. You can prepare the basics and make sure you have options but since you can control everything just go ahead and do the first step and then worry about step 2.

works for me most of the time and whenever it doesn’t and i reflect why not it’s usually because I delayed step 1 as I worried about step 4 too much.

but again… you are getting old 😁 and wise.

Stress

Most definitely.

The quote which keeps popping up for me is from Zeno

“Well-being is realised by small steps, but is truly no small thing.”

One I try to remind myself and kinda ties back to the previous post regarding the book Atomic habits, the double meaning around the power of it but also the microscopic level at which they are implemented. Middle management in many companies would refer to it as "quick wins"

September Figures

Overall best month in terms of running since Feb. Still a long way to go to resemble heavy training but it's a step in the right direction. The main thing is that I was able to for the most part get back on the horse when I did slip up. This has been part of my issue in the past. Being a coach and the visibility here I kinda felt like a fraud if I slipped up in terms of consistency and leading by example. Ultimately I think it was part of the reason why I was so boom and bust putting the pressure on myself that I had to be all or nothing. As Churchill said " perfection is the enemy of progress the fact is while this month has not been perfect I have made progress and definitely a lot fitter than I was (evident by the fact that there was even a sub 6 mile in there something which I don't think I have seen in a long long time).

Self reflection is not always an easy thing but often needed. I know in the past I always saw myself as focused and driven with an emphasis on personal responsibility but in doing so I don't think I stopped to think about the negative aspects of that. When you try to be involved and care about everything coupled with that sort of mindset there is only one person at fault the whole time which can in itself be mentally draining. I have been working on not caring about things as much and embracing ignorance to an extent. I have to get to a stage not only where I don't feel the need to be up to date on every aspect of every thing that I do (which ties in doom scrolling on twitter a platform that really does bring out the worst in people (myself included). The emotional investment is not worth the price in many aspects of life especially if it impacts on more enjoyable things in life (such as running etc)

(Again apologies for the ramblings of a runner here there is some training going on in between I swear :p )

October will be more of the same but simply increased from 5 mile daily target to 6 mile with similar base building type sessions (1 progression a week, 1 light tempo (2 mile effort, 1 mile easy 1 mile effort) and one stride session (6x20 second strides) I don't feel the need to change things just yet I am layering an aerobic based and these are enough stimulus to get fitter for now as the mileage slowly creeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Keep up the ramblings! Very insightful and a lot of what you've said resonates with me. Sounds like you've found the best use for the early mornings. It's great to see you back running & logging. Enjoy.

Could be completely wrong with that statement but make it anyways: one should only focus on one thing at a time. Either be a great coach and bring others to their peak performance (whatever that means to each individual) or be an athlete that wants to reach peak performance.

i wouldn’t know of anyone who does both simultaneously (successfully)! Yes, there are great athletes who become great coaches but usually after their career and not whilst still performing at the highest level. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey L - very interesting stuff there. I agree that honest reflection is hugely important part of figuring things out, running or otherwise, and it's certainly good to share the thoughts. Welcome back and congrats on the growing family!

Thanks A. Nice to be back running and enjoying it properly. Hoping that I can keep it going with similar mindset as I get close to actually properly training and racing but as mentioned its a long way off

Potentially could be the case. I think over the past while I have learned not to have such a high opinion of myself in that regard. Its not about being a great coach or a great example as an athlete. In the grand scheme of things I am neither however If I am able to share what I believe is useful training advice to help people improve and they wish to listen then hopefully both me individually and other athletes can become better each day compared to the day before. For me the bar doesn't need to be set so high as a target it simply needs to be higher each day than the day before.

Thanks D. Definitely helps to put things down on paper/digital format to try and articulate, even a semi anonymous audience helps in that regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

"Its not about being a great coach or a great example as an athlete. In the grand scheme of things I am neither"

It's probably better you don't think you're a great coach, that modesty makes you an even better one, but it helps if the athletes you train do.

I wouldn't be a multiple Irish record holder without you.

Thats a fact and can't be argued!

Advertisement