Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord moving back into property. Length of notice required for tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

There is a lease in place. This lease effectively sells some of your sibling's rights for a thing called money. The people who have paid that money now have things called rights of their own which they have paid for.

I suspect that your life has been so sheltered that you haven't seen very much beyond your bubble of complacency. So perhaps it's time that you raised yourself up off all fours and took a good look around you at the wider world. Alternatively, you could consider switching your reading from the tabloids to the broadsheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Winter eviction ban those rented 3 bed semi are easy pickings for the guburment to part solve housing crisis

Glad I grabbed a place back early in the year better vacant, those unwanted LLs are stuck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I advise you to stop whinging about "de gubbermint" and stop looking for handouts - whether monetary or legislative - and learn to take responsibility for your own decisions.

Never mind about the irony of going on about bubbles while simultaneously moaning that you have suddenly appeared that rules apply to you too and that there aren't dispensations for people who consider themselves "special". Reality hits and ya start crying, and then trying to project some waffle about bubbles onto others.

And nobody tells you you have to continue renting to other people either.

If the wall is painted, you can't go and strip the paint off it. If you're a subcontractor and you haven't been paid for that freezer in that kitchen you fitted, then you can't go in a reef it back out no matter how much you want to. If you've given possession of your property to a tenant who stops paying, you can at least get it back eventually. But you made the decision to hand it over. That was your bad judgment.

• Advertisement

Interesting.

It appears though that my understanding is close to the factual reality than the whingers who are surprised to learn that they can't just rock up and evict someone for being a day late with rent like the appear to have thought they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Complete nonsense from you as usual.

Tenants can't really be evicted in less than 2 years, despite all legal procedures being follwed, and you know this.

Just more of your trolling.

2 year =/= forever.

If you can't manage the rules, don't play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I doubt there are many trades people who were partway through a big job and were forced to continue their service for a couple of years after the customer stopped paying. The trades person would pick up their tools and leave the customer to find some other fool.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’m not getting into an argument with you because your arguments are idiotic. You’re not comparing apples with apples. No, you can’t strip the paint back off the walls but you can’t be forced to stay painting that same wall for months or even years after, you can walk away any time you like. The landlord can’t do that.

For what it’s worth I’m a renter, not a landlord. Not that that should make any difference to the debate. Anyone with any shred of common sense can clearly see how biased the whole system is towards the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Normal to decide the rules before the game not in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭DubCount

Fewer and fewer landlords want to play this game.

Not much of an impact on landlords. They can invest their money elsewhere.

A big impact on tenants. Less places to rent, more expensive rent, lower quality rentals.

Not everyone can afford to buy, not everyone is settled on where they want to live long term. We need a rental market. When no suppliers want to play the game by the current rules, its not a good result for the customers.

The rules of the game are nuts - its time to change the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Becase the legislation changes every few months. Can you imagine dealing with an organisation who gets backt to you 2-3 weeks after you send them an email. Can you imagine an organisation that did some sort of a software upgrade last Autumn and after it you could not log into your account, Can you imagine an organisation where you changed your email address and it virtually impossible to register you accounts.

By the way the same tenants are cribbing and crying about the profession investment companies.

No they did not. However if they did not there would have been one less house rented for the last few years, one more homeless family. Nobody should consider renting any property that they may need back in the short term. However there are people who rented 1-2+ years ago that were going abroad short term who now arefinding it very hard to get there property back.

Problem for a homeowner is if the paperwork is any way incorrect the tenant can wait for the end of the notice period and object and the clock starts ticking again. Even if the paperwork is correct they can appeal on spurious grounds and the house owner has to go througt the appeals process. If a determination order is issued to a tenant the RTB will enforce it, if it to a LL they can f@@k off anf try to enforce it themselves.

People made decisions maybe before COVID and got trapped abroad and government has changed legislation so much that tit is not a legal minefield they finf themselves in.

Yet we wonder why we have a rental crisis. there is 60-70K vacant houses around the country. If half were rented it would definately impact on the rental problems. However most of these are houses that people may want back in the short term. Recently advised a friend not to rent his mother house. She had moved in with them and was wanted to rent it to help them pay for the granny flat they build. My advise was sell it but do not rent it. I gave the similar advice to a young couple who were going travelling for a year and thinking of renting out there apartment three months ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

Nonsense. Legalisation does not change every few months, And even if it did a Landlord should know the rules. It’s 101 of Landlording.

The rental market should be a professional service in this country. The main fault of the Government is allowing any Tom, Dick and Harry become landlords.

The sooner amateur hour ends and actual professionals take over the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Yet we wonder why we have a rental crisis. there is 60-70K vacant houses around the country. If half were rented it would definately impact on the rental problems. However most of these are houses that people may want back in the short term. Recently advised a friend not to rent his mother house. She had moved in with them and was wanted to rent it to help them pay for the granny flat they build. My advise was sell it but do not rent it. I gave the similar advice to a young couple who were going travelling for a year and thinking of renting out there apartment three months ago.

I this it's more like a couple of hundred thousand empty houses. I don't think this includes currently unused and underused religious buildings such as monasteries, convents, churches and the like. A great many towns around the country have properties of this sort in farily good nick that could be used as accommodation with a small financial input. It's not as if the various religious orders don't owe the state vast sums in unpaid compensation for abuse etc.

9 times since the start of 2019.

You be delighted with the professional's when they charge you 30-50% more than smaller LL's

Slava Ukrainii

And it was a 4yr tenancy now 6yrs. Without a time machine is not possible to respond to goal posts that change that fast.

If they were viable for a "small financial input" they wouldn't be empty.

Considering actual existing rentals are leaving the market. It's not simply about the properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

Again Nonsense

Smaller Landlords charge market price like everyone else.

Have a go and accidental landlording should be banned in this country.

ALL larger LL ( those with more than 3-4 houses) increase these rent every time it is due.

It's smaller LL that were caught out by RPZ legislation. Most would have been slow increasing rents on good tenant's as they generally do not want hassle. My kids have all the rented at some stage. The larger the LL the dearer the rent.

Like many you have a chip on your shoulder about people around getting on in life.

There is the bigger issue we have where people will no longer let houses that are only going to be vacant for a short term ( 6 months to 2-3 years) as the risk associated to damage and repossession is too much.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

No, you are demonstrating a complete lack of understanding as I pointed out to you, your example was way off the mark and when explained to you instead of being able to defend it you try and deflect your point to something else.

I've seen plenty of your posts in the accommodation treads and you just hammer away until other posters couldnt be bothered responding or you try and change the goal posts when somebody puts forward a convincing counter arguement.

I can only assume that you were badly hurt by a landlord in the past, I hope you are able to get the help you need to get over that experience because unfortunately for you landlords are a necessity and no matter how much whinging you do on boards they won't be going away any time soon.

I've nothing more to contribute, best of luck Donald.

Again, the irony of someone trying to say others don't understand when you spend your time moaning because you yourself don't understand how things work.

As they say - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Accidentally landlording should be banned?

So if someone buys a property that then loses value (ie goes into negative equity) and they cannot get the bank's permission to sell it, and they need to move somewhere else ( far away to get work,or bigger cos they've had kids) - then what should happen? It stays empty? How would that help anyone?

And again you put forward a fantastic counter argument. I don't think I have the ability to rebuff such a well thought out and constructed reply. It's clear that your knowledge and experience of being a landlord far exceeds mine.

Your constant criticism of landlords and all the solutions you have put forward on boards will have this accommodation crisis sorted out in no time.

Do that and you will lose the vast majority of cheaper rentals and hap etc.

Institutional Landlords mostly at the top end of the market where the profits are greater.

It's a contributory factor in why supply at the bottom end is disappearing.

For someone who appears to consider themselves to have a great understanding, isn't it strange that you appear surprised to learn from the OP's post that his buddy has to give a few months notice to kick a tenant out of the tenant's home

Tune in next week when individuals with similar expert level understanding of buying a house are amazed and surprised to learn that they have to pay a thing called an "electricity bill" which arrived in their door. And de gubbermint aren't even doing anything about it!!!!!!!!

You are so used to arguing with posters on boards you are loosing track of what you are arguing about.

I think you'll find I didn't comment on the OP situation, there are plenty of clear resources available for notice periods online. I don't recall expressing surprise anywhere either. If you are quoting me try reading what you are quoting first.

What I did was point out how wrong your comparison of landlords to trades people was, that was just silly and needed to be pointed out to you. You were unable to refute what I said and are now deflecting like I said you would, talking crap about electricity bills now. You are becoming predictable.

I know you equate having the last word as winning an argument no matter how nonsensical it is, so have at it. I'm out as you have failed to put forward a convincing argument and are no longer making any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is any of this helping the OP?

Length of notice was given at the start.

• Advertisement

Start another thread if you want. This is a thread about the OP's question.

Advertisement