Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW EGR cooler recall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Wailin wrote: »
    Will you bring it in carsfan or just let bmw deal with it when the g20 arrives?

Actually just picked up new car this evening so garage said they will replace it when prepping old car for resale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ah very nice. You'll have to give us a rundown of how it is once you've had a few drives over on the unofficial BMW forum! Well wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

John_Mc wrote: »
    I have a 171 Automatic F30 and had it in with Conlans in Limerick a few months back for the recall check. They said everything was in perfect working order.

I've noticed over the last few weeks that the car is stuttery, like the automatic transmission is off or something. I reset the adaption a few times but it hasn't worked.

I've had a drivetrain warning two or three times now that goes away after turning off ignition and back on. No burning smell or anything like that.

Could this be related to EGR issue? I no longer have the letter from BMW about recall to know what the symptoms are.

It was the EGR valve that needed replacing and nothing to do with EGR cooler recall so €560 to replace it.

The car has a full service history with BMW and only 68,000km on it. Is this normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

John_Mc wrote: »
    It was the EGR valve that needed replacing and nothing to do with EGR cooler recall so €560 to replace it.

The car has a full service history with BMW and only 68,000km on it. Is this normal?

I have the same car and same year, I got it fixed under warrenty, luckily it started acting up within warenty, exactly as you describe, almost like misfiring and selecting the wrong gear. Since that I have always got the circle k more expensive diesel as it may be related to diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭huggy15

I've recently noticed my coolant level has been mysteriously dropping with no apparent leak on the street. My first thoughts were the egr cooler must be letting the coolant out somewhere as I know from reading bmw forums that this is a common enough issue with bmw.

My car was in for a recall in 2019 to check the cooler and it got the all clear. For the craic I chanced my vin in the BMW recall page and it's came up that it's got an open recall for recall code 0011420500. I googled this and it looks as if it's the egr cooler once again. Has anyone else has there car in again after the initial trip to the dealer? They said it was ok the last time but there's obviously a new recall but I received no letter like the last time. Is there a possibility the might just change it out or is it just for another check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A customer of mine in an early 2018 520d called me yesterday as he'd received a recall notice from BMW. Didn't see the letter myself, but it's to do with the EGR.

Can't remember if that car had been in before for a replacement or even a check, but it sounds like there might be another campaign just starting.

Yeah I called the dealer today and they told me it was right enough and there is another recall about the egr cooler. She said they'd check it again and change it if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

R.O.R wrote: »
    A customer of mine in an early 2018 520d called me yesterday as he'd received a recall notice from BMW. Didn't see the letter myself, but it's to do with the EGR.

Can't remember if that car had been in before for a replacement or even a check, but it sounds like there might be another campaign just starting.

Got my notice yesterday too. Also an early 2018 520D. Letter came from BMW UK as it was an English import, although transferred to Irish plates last year.

Got offered an appointment within the next 24 hours, and have been told that in a worse case scenario it would take up to 3 hours.

Car went in yesterday for the recall. Changed the cooler for a new one. Not sure what condition the old one was in but obviously it was knackered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Dundalkshelly

Hi guys hope somebody can answer my question, got a letter from BMW group Ireland about recall EGR Cooler for my 2017 118D BMW its Irish reg and i live in the south near the boarder, my question is can i get the service done in the North (free of course as offered from BMW) as that would be handier for me and don't like driving to and in Dublin. Already emailed BMW Customer Service twice but no answer so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hi guys hope somebody can answer my question, got a letter from BMW group Ireland about recall EGR Cooler for my 2017 118D BMW its Irish reg and i live in the south near the boarder, my question is can i get the service done in the North (free of course as offered from BMW) as that would be handier for me and don't like driving to and in Dublin. Already emailed BMW Customer Service twice but no answer so far

I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be able to. Give them a ring or physically go into the dealership

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Got a letter to say they are replacing my EGR despite the fact that I had a letter a few years ago to have it checked and it was checked and deemed fine then. Back to the shitshow that is my local well known BMW dealership I guess.

I have a 2017 F30 with 78k km on the clock. It has a full BMW service history. I brought my car in for the recall check last year and they said everything was fine and nothing was replaced.

I live in Limerick and am down in Kerry for a few days. I was driving at low speed yesterday and smoke suddenly started coming from the bonnet. No warning lights or any advanced notice that something was wrong.

Smoke got pretty bad pretty fast and it was a scary experience because my pregnant wife and son were in the car.

There is a hole burnt through the intake manifold (see attached images). I had over an hour to search causes for this whilst the tow truck arrived and I'm pretty sure it's the EGR cooler issue that would cause this?

I am stranded in Kerry and need to get my family back to Limerick and am thinking I need to get the car up to my local BMW dealer who has been servicing the car. I got one price for transport of car and it's just under €500. I think it's fair to expect BMW to arrange this and cover my expenses back to Limerick. Any advice on how I should handle this and who to call etc?

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

@john_mc will your insurance not cover the lift to a home garage? Notify your insurance company that you have your family with you and they should be able to sort you out.

Thanks yes I rang them today and they are sorting a car rental for me. The policy covers local towing and can claim back that from a longer tow so I would still be out of pocket. It's one less thing to worry about.

I'm more anxious about how BMW will react when I call on Monday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've a 2017 4 Series that had the recall done last year depsite originally getting it checked and told it didn't need replacing. Granted mine is the 3.0 litre engine rather than the 2.0 litre but BMW were replacing them even on cars that didn't have any signs of problems.

You can enter the car's VIN below to see if it should have been recalled:

https://www.bmw.ie/en/topics/owners/bmw-recall.html

They also have a telephone number on the above link: 1890 719 421 I'd be ringing them now rather than Monday and stressing the problem and that your family was in the car at the time.

My car was in with them for the recall check in June. it would be interesting to see when they started to replace parts that seemed ok because they did not change mine, and mine was seconds from being engulfed and being a write off.

I checked my VIN on that website and it's saying there's a recall on it. I'll call into them to discuss on Monday but I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing. They better make it right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

BMW will do their utmost not to help you.

It's their business to make money, not to spend it.

If your car was due a recall, they would have contacted either your or the previous owner, they will claim that they made the repair available, but it wasn't availed of, thus putting the onus onto someone other than BMW.

Your best bet is to deal with your insurance company.

It goes without saying that they exist to make money.

I did not receive a letter about a second recall - I did last year and brought it in. Even so, sending a letter does not absolve them of responsibility for a serious manufacturing flaw that very nearly resulted in my car catching fire and left me and my family stranded. They could have called, sent multiple letters etc and been more proactive in making clear the risks.

My insurance only covers towing to a local mechanic and there are no BMW garages in Kerry meaning it needs to go to Cork or Limerick to be fixed under recall. It's either that or I bring it to an independent and BMW pay the independent to fix.

That's the line I'll be taking anyway. Will go through small claims to recoup towing costs if they refuse to be reasonable.

It's good to know in advance that this will be adversarial though so thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

There is a local BMW dealer in Kerry, Aherns BMW in Castleisland (it would be on the way back to Limerick).

https://www.ahernsbmw.ie/

• Advertisement

Is there an effect on the EGR Valve by the issues with the cooler? I'm asking because my car was checked for EGR cooler issues last June and they said nothing was wrong. A few weeks later and I started having issues which were caused by the EGR Valve. I asked if they were related at the time and they said they weren't. The fix cost about €500.

I'm going into them tomorrow so want to know if I can challenge that cost now if they are related.

Just an update on my situation. I dealt with BMW customer care directly who arranged the car to be transferred to Conlans in Limerick without any fuss at all. Conlans let it sit in the car park for 3 days and refused to give me any firm date for a diagnosis as they were so busy so I sent a stinker of an email to BMW customer care and the following day a BMW rental car was delivered to me at my house.

I collected the car today and the repairs were all covered by BMW.

If someone else is unfortunate enough to find themselves in this situation then I would definitely go to BMW directly as they dealt with it pretty well. I'm glad to have my car back to be honest!

Interestingly the 201 G20 I was loaned had low coolant warnings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Whocare

What story with egr my family member car egr was changed under recall few years ago and last week got other letter about changing egr and we be in contact again about booking it in

Are changing egr again even went it was replaced few years ago?

Post edited by Whocare on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭carloscorreia

Last week I got the recall letter but this time is to update the software that monitors the egr.

The letter says they will test anyway and replace if needed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just got the letter. Had the car serviced last week as it happens and they performed the update.

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Me too, and this is my second time - last replaced on my 520 in Feb 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lolipop2

Hi I just received the same letter in relation to the recall. Have I a right to ask the BMW garage to organise a tow from my house to garage In order to get the car checked? I don't want to drive it now at all as there is a fire risk

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think they will ask you to clarify the level of risk ("very rare") but worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just because you got the letter I wouldn't start panicking now and expect it to burst into flames any minute. No need to go over the top and ask for a tow to the garage, you've been driving it all along, it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I checked my vin before months and months ago and no recall, checked again there now and I've an outstanding recall. Doesn't say for what but I'd presume it is the egr cooler? 2014 f30 335d

Didn't get a recall letter in the post but I presume I can ring conlans and ask them? I don't usually bring it to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On the recall site, when it tells you there is an outstanding recall on your car, it usually lists the recall code also. Google that code and it will tell you what it is.

You don't need or have to wait for a recall letter to book it in with a dealer to have the work done.

0011460600 must be egr so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Mrs Pigeon got the recall letter recently, awaiting the 2nd letter now

The EGR cooler has been replaced prior to her owning it, there's a manufacturers date of (April?) 2020 on it, no signs of leaking anyway from exhaust gasses or coolant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

The current recall letter is just a software update to monitor for issues on the EGR.

brought mine in today and it was done in 3 hours. No issues and all good in Joe Duffy’s. Car was absolutely filthy, (estriol blue 4gc), so it was nice to get it back shining and hoovered, much as I usually pass on the garage wash 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 44 colml cule

I'm seeing "0011480600" show up for a 116d. Woman on BMW customer service said it was related to EGR.

Does anyone know if this one is a software update for the EGR or an entire replacement?

haven't sent mine in yet so not sure if its just software. I really should get it done soon just have barely been driving so haven't really been bothered to do it

Got a letter from BMW just now and it's confirming at least for me there will be a replacement of the EGR and not just software.

It says the recall includes the fitment of an EGR Cooler first made available in July 2022.

And also to not contact a BMW dealer until I'm given another letter about it unless smoke or warning lights etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Any performance change since the update?

I've a f10 n42 with performance power pack.

It's running great, never brought in back for the recall.

Just afraid that the updates might retard performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I called Frank Keane Blackrock for an appointment and they booked me in for the earliest slot for February 17th!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

I'm guessing the answer is an obvious "yes", but just in case the dealer suggests "no" I wanted to check:

Would a computer error 284C00 "Exhaust gas temperature sensor 6 Too large stack diff to compute value" likely be related to the recalled EGR cooler?

Have a car giving that error now which was inspected after the EGR cooler recall last year. At the time our local dealer's service report was that the EGR cooler was found to be in perfect working order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

It don't think it is involved in the recall.

I have error 260100 Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor After EGR Cooler Signal: interruption or short to positive. The error was present before and after the EGR was replaced under the recall the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I am UK based with a 2014 5 Series 520d (I have the later B47 engine so all new shape G30, have the same).

My original recall was carried out approx. 3 years ago and the ERG cooler was replaced at the local main dealer. It now looks like there is a second recall regarding a software update (DDE control unit) to monitor the ERG for excess soot deposits and all UK owners have been informed via a letter to the owners. Why this wasn't carried out when the car was in the last time is beyond me. I suspect BMWs in Ireland involved in the original recall will have another trip to the main dealers in due course.

The new recall is also now logged on the UK MOT check website and the BMW service portal for the car.

Misread

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

As it happens when our 5-series was in the dealership to check out the error message, the dealership told us that yes a new EGR cooler recall via software update is now being done. They did the update for us. Drivers may get a message on their car screen about it, or could probably call their dealer to arrange for the software update.

As an aside it turns the issue I mentioned in my post above was with a sensor.

• Advertisement

Just for information my recall letter specifically says "Replacing the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler." rather than the above dde control unit letter

Same here got seconds letter saying contact your local BMW dealer to book it in replacement egr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mk7r

There is another revised egr cooler that has been released

It's a shame they wasn't so proactive about timing chains problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mk7r

They were not a safety risk, they have no choice with these

• Advertisement
Advertisement