Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hi guys hope somebody can answer my question, got a letter from BMW group Ireland about recall EGR Cooler for my 2017 118D BMW its Irish reg and i live in the south near the boarder, my question is can i get the service done in the North (free of course as offered from BMW) as that would be handier for me and don't like driving to and in Dublin. Already emailed BMW Customer Service twice but no answer so far

I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be able to. Give them a ring or physically go into the dealership

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Got a letter to say they are replacing my EGR despite the fact that I had a letter a few years ago to have it checked and it was checked and deemed fine then. Back to the shitshow that is my local well known BMW dealership I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I have a 2017 F30 with 78k km on the clock. It has a full BMW service history. I brought my car in for the recall check last year and they said everything was fine and nothing was replaced.

I live in Limerick and am down in Kerry for a few days. I was driving at low speed yesterday and smoke suddenly started coming from the bonnet. No warning lights or any advanced notice that something was wrong.

Smoke got pretty bad pretty fast and it was a scary experience because my pregnant wife and son were in the car.

There is a hole burnt through the intake manifold (see attached images). I had over an hour to search causes for this whilst the tow truck arrived and I'm pretty sure it's the EGR cooler issue that would cause this?

I am stranded in Kerry and need to get my family back to Limerick and am thinking I need to get the car up to my local BMW dealer who has been servicing the car. I got one price for transport of car and it's just under €500. I think it's fair to expect BMW to arrange this and cover my expenses back to Limerick. Any advice on how I should handle this and who to call etc?

• Moderators Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Spocker

@john_mc will your insurance not cover the lift to a home garage? Notify your insurance company that you have your family with you and they should be able to sort you out.

Thanks yes I rang them today and they are sorting a car rental for me. The policy covers local towing and can claim back that from a longer tow so I would still be out of pocket. It's one less thing to worry about.

I'm more anxious about how BMW will react when I call on Monday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've a 2017 4 Series that had the recall done last year depsite originally getting it checked and told it didn't need replacing. Granted mine is the 3.0 litre engine rather than the 2.0 litre but BMW were replacing them even on cars that didn't have any signs of problems.

You can enter the car's VIN below to see if it should have been recalled:

https://www.bmw.ie/en/topics/owners/bmw-recall.html

They also have a telephone number on the above link: 1890 719 421 I'd be ringing them now rather than Monday and stressing the problem and that your family was in the car at the time.

My car was in with them for the recall check in June. it would be interesting to see when they started to replace parts that seemed ok because they did not change mine, and mine was seconds from being engulfed and being a write off.

I checked my VIN on that website and it's saying there's a recall on it. I'll call into them to discuss on Monday but I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing. They better make it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

BMW will do their utmost not to help you.

It's their business to make money, not to spend it.

If your car was due a recall, they would have contacted either your or the previous owner, they will claim that they made the repair available, but it wasn't availed of, thus putting the onus onto someone other than BMW.

Your best bet is to deal with your insurance company.

It goes without saying that they exist to make money.

I did not receive a letter about a second recall - I did last year and brought it in. Even so, sending a letter does not absolve them of responsibility for a serious manufacturing flaw that very nearly resulted in my car catching fire and left me and my family stranded. They could have called, sent multiple letters etc and been more proactive in making clear the risks.

My insurance only covers towing to a local mechanic and there are no BMW garages in Kerry meaning it needs to go to Cork or Limerick to be fixed under recall. It's either that or I bring it to an independent and BMW pay the independent to fix.

That's the line I'll be taking anyway. Will go through small claims to recoup towing costs if they refuse to be reasonable.

It's good to know in advance that this will be adversarial though so thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

There is a local BMW dealer in Kerry, Aherns BMW in Castleisland (it would be on the way back to Limerick).

https://www.ahernsbmw.ie/

• Advertisement

Is there an effect on the EGR Valve by the issues with the cooler? I'm asking because my car was checked for EGR cooler issues last June and they said nothing was wrong. A few weeks later and I started having issues which were caused by the EGR Valve. I asked if they were related at the time and they said they weren't. The fix cost about €500.

I'm going into them tomorrow so want to know if I can challenge that cost now if they are related.

Just an update on my situation. I dealt with BMW customer care directly who arranged the car to be transferred to Conlans in Limerick without any fuss at all. Conlans let it sit in the car park for 3 days and refused to give me any firm date for a diagnosis as they were so busy so I sent a stinker of an email to BMW customer care and the following day a BMW rental car was delivered to me at my house.

I collected the car today and the repairs were all covered by BMW.

If someone else is unfortunate enough to find themselves in this situation then I would definitely go to BMW directly as they dealt with it pretty well. I'm glad to have my car back to be honest!

Interestingly the 201 G20 I was loaned had low coolant warnings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Whocare

What story with egr my family member car egr was changed under recall few years ago and last week got other letter about changing egr and we be in contact again about booking it in

Are changing egr again even went it was replaced few years ago?

Post edited by Whocare on

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Last week I got the recall letter but this time is to update the software that monitors the egr.

The letter says they will test anyway and replace if needed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just got the letter. Had the car serviced last week as it happens and they performed the update.

• Moderators Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Spocker

Me too, and this is my second time - last replaced on my 520 in Feb 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lolipop2

Hi I just received the same letter in relation to the recall. Have I a right to ask the BMW garage to organise a tow from my house to garage In order to get the car checked? I don't want to drive it now at all as there is a fire risk

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think they will ask you to clarify the level of risk ("very rare") but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just because you got the letter I wouldn't start panicking now and expect it to burst into flames any minute. No need to go over the top and ask for a tow to the garage, you've been driving it all along, it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I checked my vin before months and months ago and no recall, checked again there now and I've an outstanding recall. Doesn't say for what but I'd presume it is the egr cooler? 2014 f30 335d

Didn't get a recall letter in the post but I presume I can ring conlans and ask them? I don't usually bring it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On the recall site, when it tells you there is an outstanding recall on your car, it usually lists the recall code also. Google that code and it will tell you what it is.

You don't need or have to wait for a recall letter to book it in with a dealer to have the work done.

0011460600 must be egr so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Mrs Pigeon got the recall letter recently, awaiting the 2nd letter now

The EGR cooler has been replaced prior to her owning it, there's a manufacturers date of (April?) 2020 on it, no signs of leaking anyway from exhaust gasses or coolant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭sk8board

The current recall letter is just a software update to monitor for issues on the EGR.

brought mine in today and it was done in 3 hours. No issues and all good in Joe Duffy’s. Car was absolutely filthy, (estriol blue 4gc), so it was nice to get it back shining and hoovered, much as I usually pass on the garage wash 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 40 colml cule

I'm seeing "0011480600" show up for a 116d. Woman on BMW customer service said it was related to EGR.

Does anyone know if this one is a software update for the EGR or an entire replacement?

haven't sent mine in yet so not sure if its just software. I really should get it done soon just have barely been driving so haven't really been bothered to do it

Got a letter from BMW just now and it's confirming at least for me there will be a replacement of the EGR and not just software.

It says the recall includes the fitment of an EGR Cooler first made available in July 2022.

And also to not contact a BMW dealer until I'm given another letter about it unless smoke or warning lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Any performance change since the update?

I've a f10 n42 with performance power pack.

It's running great, never brought in back for the recall.

Just afraid that the updates might retard performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I called Frank Keane Blackrock for an appointment and they booked me in for the earliest slot for February 17th!

Advertisement