Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puredrive Battery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stan916

Hi. Newbie here. Had a Solis/Puredrive II setup installed a couple of weeks ago and everything was great until Monday, when the batteries (x2 so 10kWh) stopped discharging below 80%. Since then they charge ok from solar but when the SOC drops to 80% we start drawing from the grid. Couple of screenshots attached, one of which shows that the batteries discharged to 10% the evening before but did not charge until the early hours of the following morning, when it looks like things started to go awry.

I'm thinking that the inverter has lost control of the batteries to some extent because they had been sitting at 10% for a few hours, so it may be worth power cycling them, but I don't know the correct way of doing that. Is it a simple case of switching off and on again on the switch on the battery, and if so is it important if it is master first or slave first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hi Folks

Still not sorted here. I’m waiting for the installer to come back and upgrade the firmware on the batteries. It requires a direct connection strange said it can’t be done remotely.

It wasn’t working at all initially but change to to an LG Chem setup, so there is some charge and discharge, but I’m certainly not getting a 10 kW range from the set up.

Pure drive have acknowledged there is an issue. Hopefully it gets sorted soon in particular, as a unit rate are due to go up!

If not, I’ll be looking to swap at pure drives as I don’t want to be messing around with these for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Murt2

How do you know you're not getting the full range? Once there is communication at all, it's the batteries which tell the inverter what their capacity is, and how much charge is left in them, not the other way around.

Post edited by Murt2 on

Battery doesn’t discharge once the solar drops, it’s that simple. It’s an an acknowledged problem by purdrive. New firmware being installed on Friday which they are confident will solve the issue

You need to go into advanced settings, select no battery. Then switch off both Puredrive batteries, there's a button on the top of them. Turn them back on. Select LG Chem again. Go into voltage settings and set undervolt to 44V. At the bottom of advanced settings select battery wakeup. I have the same Puredrive Firmware issue you have, the battery is working perfectly.

You likely have another 'installer' who doesn't understand the equipment they're installing.

Thanks Murt I'll give it a go this evening and report

Let’s see what happens!

Ah battery discharging, great to see!

And stopped at 80% again last night🫠

🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭con747

Have you looked at what the Over discharge SOC is set to? Just on the off chance it's set to 80%.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The default over discharge is 80%, for some reason. I had to change mine in the Solis advance menu

That was the next thing I was going to ask. My experience with "installers," I wouldn't be surprised if it's set to 80%

Go into advanced settings and check it, if it's set @80% set it to the level you need. I have mine set @23% so enough left for a power cut. Just set the Force Charge a few % below the Over Discharge you set. It is warrantied to about 10% I think.

I've mine set to 10%. It's poor Hick here that's having all the issues. On a side note, has anybody ever updated a Puredrive batteries firmware before. After the debacle of my now former installers attempt at it, I've asked Puredrive to send me the update kit to do it myself.

Post edited by Murt2 on

went back over your instructions again @Murt2 . This time the battery had already stopped discharging at 80%. Did the reset and checked setting v @ 44.0 and over discharge is at 20%

at this point I just don’t know, very frustrating to have all this kit and it not working correctly.

going to see if puredrive will send me the firmware kit. I have a Gaa pitch to stand beside in the morning for 2 hours.

Sorry to hear that. Go into advanced settings, set the over discharge charge to 10% and set the over discharge charge rate to 100Amps. Check the slave address is set to 01. Also, is it possible one of your batteries is flat, likely the master one? If it's not charging and drops to 20%, it will stop the other one discharging as well. 80% seems very low at 20.30 on a two battery system. For context, I was at that at 80% at 20.30 with one battery. Do you only see one reading in the capacity read, or is there another? Sometimes it will say 80%, but every now and then there's one much lower?

BTW, are you in self use mode?

I’m not going to lie to you @Murt2 I’m 4 Guinness in, this will be checked tomorrow 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I see you have backup supply enabled, are you sure you don't have the battery in backup mode and set to 80% which will stop the discharge the battery at 80% as expected.

Check that in advanced settings under Backup mode, keep clicking through until you see the SOC % and make sure it's not set to 80%

• Advertisement

Could this be it!

it’s always set to self use mode, however in backup it was SOC 80%

so I have changed that to 20%.

( I’m assuming I could also just disable backup).

fingers crossed this does it! Will be checking at 21:00 and will update.

thank you everyone for the constant supply of tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes this setting had to be changed as well on my end. Luckily my installer did it when adding my backup supply

Success!!

thank you for all the help, everyone!

with the ways things are on energy cost currently, ensuring you have as much independence as possible is paramount. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Hi All, seeing some issues with sudden voltage & SOC drops on my PureDrive II 5kWh battery. This is happening when around 25-30% SOC and a high load 50A is put on. It's suddenly dropping to 10% and then the Solis is kicking force charge.

I'm trying to figure out how to open a ticket with PureDrive. Where can I see the battery S/N? Is it in the Solis Cloud app anywhere? or do I need to see it on the actual battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Here is a link to where you can log a call with Puredrive. I believe the serial number is on the sticker on the left side of the unit.

Doubt there is anything wrong if you didn't charge the battery in a few days.

SOC drift is what you are seeing - if you're charging this nightly then for sure log a call with them.

• Advertisement

I never said that I didn't charge it. It generally gets charged to 100% each day. It had charged to 100% the day before this issue occured and there was sufficient charge and generation expected that day so I didn't charge overnight.

I opened a ticket with them earlier. Will see what they say.

Sudden drop to 10% happened again this evening and now the battery is flashing. What does that mean? Green light blinking

EDIT: nevermind, found on page 1

Puredrive said that they believe my battery needs the firmware upgrade. They're going to send the kit to me and said that I can do it and they'll provide support on that.

Has anyone else done it themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pygar

Hi there @hick I too am having to use the LG Chem setting. When you say it’s not perfect, what flaws have you noticed? Also, do you get the firmware update and did it help at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AutomanUKPD

Hi all looking for some advice please. I have 2 x Puredrive 5KW DC batteries and have noticed in the last week or so that they seem to be out of balance, when my Solis inverter says the batteries are at 20% only one of them is flashing green making me think the other is still over 30% as its LED is still solid. when I look at the charge and discharge SOC graph they appear to charge as normal up to 91/92% then jump to 100% and when they discharge they drop steadily from 100% to 31/32% and then jump to 21/22%

So my question is.. is there an easy way to make the batteries balance themselves or is there something else at play here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dozz

Where can I look at the charge & discharge graph for my battery?

If you have Solis Cloud app press your plant name then press device then press inverter and then press battery more>

As Con747 said

You can see overnight where mine jumped from 91% to 100% and this evening when it gets down to 31% it will jump down to 21%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thats is exactly the type of behavior in a phone battery when the battery is knackered. It jumps big jumps up and down in % charge as it charges or depletes. These jumps get bigger over a few months and then it just doent last long at all after charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dozz

Does anyone know how to turn off/power down a puredrive battery?

There is a button on the top, lift the cover after unscrewing the 2 small twist screws on each side and it's on the right. You can turn it off by feel if you put your finger in the right hand side under the cover. The inverter might stay off until the PV kicks back in though in the morning because the battery powers it when no PV.

I saw some mentions on the Solis facebook group that there was a firmware update just about a week or two ago to handle poor cold weather performance on these batteries. I'm still waiting them to send me the kit to upgrade so will be interesting to see what if any improvements are seen then. I guess it will be the new year at this rate before I get the kit. :(

I've been waiting for this kit for nearly 3 months now! Don't hold your breath...

I just want to know the process to balance the batteries. It can't be that hard surely as they are designed to be easy to add another battery to in the future, there has to be a simple process. I suspect it's going to be something like turn everything off, disconnect batteries from inverter, turn batteries back on and leave for a while to balance each other out but there just seems to be no information around on the process.

The way I would do it is to connect only one battery at a time, charge each from the grid to 100% and when both are 100% wire them back both together.

• Advertisement

Ah that's ridiculous. I'll be giving them a call in the new year.

I'm sick of getting the run around by companies, dragging stuff out endlessly.

Why didn't that occur to me 🙈 LOL.

Ok so this morning I disconnected the batteries and charged them one at a time, one displayed 98% on the inverter the other 93% I'm not sure this is enough to account for the jump from 88% to 100% when charging overnight or the drop at the end of yesterday from 33% to 21%, a difference of 12% at each end of the cycle but they are both starting from 100% this morning so will see what happens this evening (the temptation to plug a car in is strong though)

I think what might happen here is that the good battery (98%) is being dragged down to the capacity of the 93% one as that's how they usually work.

You could try cycling each of the batteries individually a few times, see if that fixes the SOC values.

Yep that's the plan I'll see how they do today and if there is still a drop off around 30% I'll run each battery on its own for a few cycles before linking them again and then I'll start chasing installer and Puredrive in the new year if things haven't resolved.

Quick update: So I have cycled each battery on it's own 3 times and then connected them back together at 100% and cycled again with no change. I'm still seeing a drop at the end of discharging, and a jump at the end of charging. I managed to catch a video of the inverter screen each time and have now opened a ticket with Puredrive but not expecting to hear anything for a few days given the time of year.

State of health dropped to 99% during the nightly charge last night. Battery about 7 months in at this point. How are others fairing on the SOH?

Pretty sure mine went to 99% a lot sooner than that and I never charged it from the grid when I had it.

Puredrive explanation: SOC/SOH values are really hard, don't worry about it etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭The devils

Mine 99% also @ hick are you sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭The devils

Would people be charging roughly the same amps/time etc..?

• Advertisement

I have mine worked out to spread the charge during my cheap period of 3 hours. If you have a longer cheap period then you could lower the rate. You don't need discharge rate set.

Advertisement