Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Thank you both. I disconnected and reconnected the speaker from the app. Tried tune in as you suggested and it’s working now. Hopefully will keep on doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

My latest workaround is to say “Play 89.4”

It’s currently working!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Is it just me or has the Assistant got a lot worse at 'hearing' in the last few weeks?

I'm currently sitting about a metre away from our hub. I've just asked it 4 times in a row to play Today FM. I can see the 'listening' animation appear, and the words I've said appear too - and it's just ignored me and gone back to "curated art". I mean, if I want to be ignored, I have real humans in the house who are more than happy to do that for me! 🤣 Fourth time around, standing directly in front of it, it finally decided fair enough, I could listen to some music.

I've also noticed in the last few weeks that a good percentage of the time, when I say "hey google", my phone perks up and listens, rather than the Hub. I'll get a little popup on the hub saying "Another device answered. Did you want this device to answer?" and you've about a second to hit the right bit of the screen to say 'Yes' - but then it ignores me, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have similar issues, @TaurenDruid - I would love to get some ideas on how to fix it.

If I say "Hey Google" to my mini or hub, the little lights animate like it's listening, but when I give a command, nothing happens. After 10 seconds, it'll say "Hmmm.... something went wrong. Please try again in a few moments".

On the hub, the text is supposed to appear on the screen, but it doesn't.

However when I try again, it will work straight away.

That doesn't fix it though - if I try a different command 10 minutes later, the same thing happens.

It's driving me nuts and it's very annoying. I've tried restarting my router, rebooting both devices, factory resetting both devices, deleting devices from the Google Home app, deleting my entire "home" from the Google home app. Nothing seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Can’t get any radio stations to play on either my Google Home or my Google Mini as of last night. So frustrating!

• Advertisement

Ah! Same, I thought my devices were acting up (more than usual).

I'm casting Simple Radio from my phone to my mini and that's working fine.

Yeah, I asked for Today FM yesterday evening and it told me "That station is not available in your country" (TuneIn). It definitely heard me right. Tried again a few minutes later and it was fine. Could have been something on TuneIns's side?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

No stations here either, seems to be a tunein/google problem as playing BBC Radio works as its not through tunein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Had a radio alarm, silence at 8am, ugh why why why why why cannot it not JUST work.

FYI I found this content when looking up the Tune In Issue:

Update 6 (May 27, 2022)

06:35 pm (IST): Users are again reporting an issue where some TuneIn stations are not working on Google Home.

Fortunately, Google support on Twitter has acknowledged this issue and said that they are working on a fix.

Understood. Our team is aware of reports about being unable to play some TuneIn stations on Google Home — we’re working on a fix. Thanks for bringing your case to our attention. Have a good one! (Source)

• Advertisement

FINALLY fixed this. Just in case anyone has the same issue (or searches for the issue in this thread), the fix is an easy one.

Log into your internet router and disable IPv6. That's it. Everything is working now. Google responds on first command, and tune-in radio is working properly.

That... shouldn't be a fix. I absolutely accept it's worked for you, but it really shouldn't have caused anything to break. Especially intermittently. Will absolutely try it if mine goes again, though! 😊

@TaurenDruid Yep, agreed. It was working fine with IPv6 enabled up to about 3 weeks ago, and had been giving me trouble ever since then. This was the link where I found the solution:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hi guys, 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Before anything else Ill caveat this with no changed made on the network except a disconnect of the WAN cable to re-run it recently thats it, all other services working on LAN.

Ive ran into a strange issue where my Google Home App and therefore my 2 x Nest Hub v2 cannot communicate with my Nest Thermostats. If I go into my Home App on my phone I try to turn the Thermostat it just times out, on the Hubs it says "Something went wrong"

In an effort to troubleshoot this I deleted my entire home app setup and re-created it. Funny the Home App has no issue with the Phillips Hue lights/Nest Doorbell or other integrated smart devices it was managing. If I go into the Nest App itself I can control the Thermostats and they respond to touch commands (obviously not voice). The Hubs and the Thermostats reside on the same VLAN. The Phone with the app a different VLAN, but again this all worked. If I check the thermostats they are connected, have an account associated with them via the Nest App option within their setting.

I find this very strange, any pointers or help would be great. Oh I have rebooted the APs in an effort to kick the Thermostats offline and back on, same effect for the Hubs at the same time.

EDIT: Weirder still. If I turn on the thermostat via Nest App or even Smart things app I can see the status of the unit changes to on in the Google Home App. However I'm still cant control it. 

If I were to summarize the issue it would be that the GoogleHome App and Hubs have read access but not write access to only the Thermostats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Can't edit my last post so... just in form of an update.

Managed to find a good few other people experiencing the same issue. Google @googlenesthelp on twitter have acknowledged its something being looked into. Just incase anyone else is experiencing the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How is Spotify integration supported to work? I've connected my account and when I say "connect to Spotify" (as saying "open Spotify" doesn't work) she plays something, but not the musicians I follow and if I ask for artist she says "here's a Spotify station for band name" and in fact got that wrong when I tested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No, basic. Only set it up about 3 weeks ago and have barely used it all on my phone or PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As far as I know know you need a premium account for it to work.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

Anyone know if Apple Music support has been added to Nest Home devices yet?

• Advertisement

Hey Google

Open the pod bay doors, please.

Hey Google

Tea. Early Grey. Hot.

Alas, same (separate) response each time.

Added a new Chromecast to the TV in the living room. It's showing up as "Living Room Chromecast" on the hub under 'Media'. And also showing up under "Other media devices."

And I don't know if it's just coincidence, but since I added it, I can no longer open Spotify on the "Family room hub" - I tell the hub/Dougal to open Spotify, and it answers "Got it - opening Spotify on the Living Room Chromecast". I tell it to "open Spotify on the Family room hub" and it says "Sorry, I don't know where to play the video - please tell me the exact name of the screen."

Any ideas how to get it back to just doing what it had always done - opening Spotify on the device I'm talking to at that point?

EDIT to add: Even with the Chromecast unplugged, Google still tries playing to it and nothing else. I removed the Living Room Chromecast from the Home, and now the 'Family Room hub' will open Spotify again. I'll try to add the Chromecast later, which probably means pairing it again from scratch. I'll just not set up Spotify on it, and see if that'll do it. Pain in the ar5e for something that should just work.

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

we have 2 Lenovo Smart Clocks and the doorbell anounces on both

maybe try unlink and set up the clock again and see if it helps

one issue I do have is one of the clocks wont do 'continued conversation' it just shuts off the mic after the first command - might have to factory reset and add it again

Could I ask anyone with a Nest/Google Hub (regular, Max or whatever version) to run a test for RTE Radio stations - please check and see if you can play any of the RTE stations (Radio 1, Gold 2FM etc) from Tunein on the hub

None of the RTE stations will play on our Hubs but it will play on other Nest/Google Speakers no issue. I cant even cast to the hub from phone but it plays without issue on the phones.

If its the case others ae having an issue I will contact Google on their Twitter feed and log an incident with them

thanks

All three of those stations played for me fine on my Hub just now.

Thanks

Just checked my parents hub and none of the RTE stations will play

Something strange going on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Haven't tried 2FM but RTE1 won't play for me at all on my Hub, but it will on the mini in other rooms. Newstalk plays fine on the Hub though so it does seem to be specific to RTE

RTE R1 plays on my minis but not on my hub.

For my mum, RTE R1 works on one of her hubs but not the other. I swapped them around at the weekend so the working one is in her bedroom. I expect it's only a matter of time before that stops working.

I tried a factory reset on the one that wasn't working, and that didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Same, not working on the hub.

• Advertisement

And as of this morning, none of the RTÉ stations (1, 2FM or Gold) are playing on the Hub...

Advertisement