Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That goes against everything the city council is trying to do right now, they don't want people driving to the city at all. So applying your statement to their logic they should actively block AC charging to ensure nobody has a desire to drive to the city.

Does anybody ever really wait on an AC charge (ignoring FastAC Zoe's), that sounds like a 1-2% use case. If you are doing that then the general on-route charging infrastructure has gone very wrong.

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That would be a bizzare turn of events, though the bottom line of your statement would likely be welcomed by most

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was in Castlebellingham yesterday and witnessed the dreaded eCars queue cluster.....

When I arrived there were 4 Tesla's on the Superchargers, and as I plugged in, 1 left so still 4 Tesla's on the SuC, then I noticed another Tesla on the eCars 50kW unit (why not as it's cheaper)... then a Tesla on the SuC went down to the eCars unit and plugged into the AC43 (maybe they couldn't the a charge from the SuC??), and as that happened, an iX arrived (jesus they are a big bus), but luckily within a minute or 2 the Tesla using the eCars CCS left so the iX plugged in, but then within about 3-4 minutes, an e-tron and a Leaf arrived....

so lets say the iX and e-tron both wanted only a 30 minute charge!, the guy in the Leaf is waiting an hour just to get on the charger before starting his 30 minute charge!!!

At 5pm on a Sunday evening, I would not be impressed if I had to wait an hour just to get on a charger on the busiest motorway in Ireland!!

Applegreen need to sh1t or get off the pot here... ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was in Castlebellingham North on friday, 2-5 teslas charging at all times. queues of 2-4 on the ecars charger. Had to laugh at the fools in the wrong car

Mod Note: Follow up conversation on Tesla moved to https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057982748/tesla-talk

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ballacolla. I'm just going to keep posting ESB parking issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The grill is all smashed on that car. Maybe on the best of drivers on a normal day 🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Unusually courteous for an Audi driver, normally they'd park across both spaces 😂

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest that there was probably another car in the left hand space when they arrived 🤔

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yes there was to be fair.

And obviously I removed the reg making the grill wonky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭innrain

Imagine how puzzled would be a leaf owner getting an Ariya with its charging port in similar position as the Audi in the picture. Would probably blame the CCS :))

I was in the area so I went to see if any works have started at Circle K Clonshaugh. No they haven't but passed the ESB unit. A classic Ioniq was charging, a leaf was parked on the other bay waiting and a MG5 was on the road charging on the AC43. Next time I'll take a picture for your collection.

I cannot understand the logic of putting the charge port beside the front doors. Most charging stations are bay parking so you're just making life awkward

VW are bad enough putting it where the petrol cap would be 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I can understand VW's thinking putting it there ... muscle memory for ICE owners. It's a pain for everyone when it comes to poorly laid out charging locations (i.e. almost every location set up by ESB eCars 😁)

Although, car manufacturers should eventually resolve to a common location.

What cars actually have the port on the back right? IDs, Enyak, Born, Ioniq 5. Any others? Audi and Kia?

Kia is a mix, EV6 has it back right, E-Niro is front left

Stellantis is all back left AFAIK

Can't wait to see someone import an F150 Lightning and try parking it at one of ESBs 3 car hubs. It'll probably take up the whole thing 😱

Likewise, but I kind of prefer the EV6 and Ioniq 5 idea of putting it at the back corner. Means you don't need to squeeze past the cable as much when it's plugged in at a charging station

I guess Tesla also have the right idea even though they put the charging port on the wrong side

(That should trigger a few Tesla owners 🤣)

Just park it over the hub and use the charger as a ladder to get out of it 😂

A car in the middle space definitely wouldn't present an obstacle to one of those things 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭eagerv

With our last two cars we had to reverse up to the charger so could reach both cars in the rare event that we needed to charge the two cars on the one night. (Advantage of having a missus who goes swimming every morning at 6am😉)

Much easier now with the charge port on opposite sides to the previous cars, can drive in forward and park normally. Long Zappi cable reaches both cars.

Of course the right side is the wrong side, but works well with the Ioniq 5. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Oi! Left is clearly the better side of the car for reasons that are far too complicated for mini-brains like us to understand. Elon is God, all hail Elon!

Also for arguments sake, maybe they put it on the left because it’s closest to the drivers door (not here obviously)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Geeez, we all know it has to be to the rear as you should reverse into parking spaces. And the left side is the right side and the right side is the wrong side. BTW the Spekky eats the C64 apart and the Megadrive rules supreme over Nintendo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I think we can agree, the best charge port location is rear centre, ie under the boot

• Advertisement

The M9 gets even more sparse for an undetermined amount of time. But on the plus side once the upgrade works are done, you’ll be able to look at a shiny new 100kW charger from outside a gate that’s locked at closing time….

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

Oh no! I really relied on that Knocktopher site when driving Dublin - Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Just plugged in at 22Kw charger and encountered some strange behaviour from the esb app/ charger. App claims that I was already charging for 14 min when I started the session. It started at 20.34 but I know for a fact from my dash cam time stamp (as well as i'm not mad) that I reversed to my parking spot at 20.47. Called the customer care and they confirmed what the app was displaying - I started the session at 20.34. At the same time I got no email saying I started the session, weird. The customer agent told me that I must have plugged in before starting charging so the unit counts the time from the time you plug in - this is bull as how the charger knows its my account/car before I started the session on the app. So I asked how much energy was delivered - 1.2kWh - well, I said, this is roughly shows that I was charging for ab 5-6 min on 11kW and not 20 min. He said then that l the internal clock on the charger is off by 14 min so when I stop my charging session the time in charging history will be shown as 14 min earlier. I will only b3 charged for the deluverd energy. Has anyone come across this weird behaviour?

Just swiped the card and indeed the charging session is 30 min and 5.6kWh charged while app says the charging session is 44 min. Def the internal clock.

That's pretty poor, ESB can't even manage to provide an NTP server for their chargers. You'd think they wouldn't even be allowed a network connection with the clock not being correct

This is the same company that can't manage to sync time on the night meters 😏

Looks like another 3 car ‘hub’ going in in Trim, Co. Meath, no doubt with the ability to charge 4 cars at once (as long as one is a Leaf).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

4 charging points. 3 marked spaces. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Looks like a 3 car Anna hub. Hopefully there's no AC on the 50kW on the right.

The Delta unit on the left looks like it has 2 plugs on either side and can DC charge 2 cars of any connection simultaneously, the unit on the right looks like a dual head 50kW and can charge 1 car of any connection at a time

If the charger on the right has the AC enabled it can charge 4 cars of any kind - except for the Renault Zoe - at a time (3 on DC, 1 on AC)

There's a similar setup to this at Ballysimon in Limerick already https://www.plugshare.com/location/85194

Post edited by Red Silurian on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭wassie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is that an existing site being expanded.

Or a new location entirely

Advertisement