Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not in the CS, but we have a few people who prefer to be in the office. So they happily come into the Office.

I know one person in another job who quit when they went fully remote.

I think most people like a hybrid. With common anchor days for teams and units.

I think many places can accommodate different working practices. But a lot will just return to the old ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

Time for another survey it seems as most, if not all, Departments will have published/commenced their blended policy. It would be useful data for those who are on promotion panels. I can try and organise it if @TaurenDruid You don't want to (I think you organised the last one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cocs

Hi, still waiting on the dept of Education policy re wfh and flexi. Anyone have any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭crinkley

I don’t know about the flexi but it’s 2 days in the office the rest working from home for some anyway in education

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Has anyone implemented flexi yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Revenue have.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭crinkley

DECC also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Hi APparently, I have some feedback from the last one so don't mind doing it again. I'll have some time at the weekend so can do it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 is that a button

Hi All! I have just stumbled across this thread & I am hoping someone here can advise! I recently applied for Revenue AO (Audit & Compliance) position. I have also applied for EO Position via PAS (hoping for Rev Comm but I have not heard anything back on this yet!). I am just wondering if anyone here can advise on the current work situation at Revenue? Do most Revenue depts (or specifically EO & AO's) still work from home? Or If blended, is there generally a minimum amount of days required in the office? .. I currently work remotely & have absolutely no desire to ever return to an office 5 days a week! Looking back now it was soul destroying & ridiculous driving in just to look at a computer screen! I certainly value my time with family a lot more since Intro of WFH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think Revenue are only in the office 1 day a month unless there is a business need to go in.

• Advertisement

It depends on the section/division. Borders, customs, etc., are hands on so fully rostered on site (but I don't think they recruit from the open panels, anyway).

I'll post up a new survey at the weekend to try and get a comprehensive read available for everyone on what departments/offices/local authorities are doing. I think the official blended working trial should be kicking in for most departments from 1st October.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

The portal for applying for blended in Revenue opened at beginning of September…

Blended due to start next Monday but no communication about it, could see it being on put back again…

Our Dept was originally to be 1 day per month but will now be 1 day per week in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

We in Ag had to sign up to a blended working charter. We, in our small unit, have committed to working in the office every Tuesday & Thursday and wfh the other 3 days. We are only allowed to work up flexi-leave on Tuesday & Thursdays. We still need to clock in & out whilst working from home, but as we can’t make up time, every single team member clocks in at 8.00, half hour lunch, and is gone at 4.00. PQ’s, Press Queries, Leaders Questions - all the urgent stuff -has to wait, or be done by the AP. I cant see this being allowed to continue, but my view is we are either on Flexi-time or we’re not.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭maneno

Out of interest, are you not able to do the PQs etc between 8-4? Or do you have to have flexi for that to happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

I think what was meant is, if any of those issues arise at 4 or after, they have to wait until the next morning or if they're extremely urgent and need to be dealt with immediately, an AP, who isn't on the clock will have to deal with them.

My question to the original poster is this, why are you working 8 to 4 and taking a half hour break. That's a 7hr 30min day? Either take an hour break or start at 8.30. The working day was reduced to 7hrs at the beginning of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Very short sighted, if the AP gets sick of this nonsense and decides flexi time isn't working for business needs and makes you all work until 5.30 every evening there will be plenty of time to crack on with PQs and press queries while those who are prepared to be flexible when required are out the gap 90 minutes before you most days.

That flexi pattern was one of the trial patterns put forward by DPER. Remember, this is still a trial period for flexi across all departments.

Your department's policy is not set in stone yet, so I wouldn't be too inflexible or uncooperative during the trial period.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@maneno Why should anyone be made to work later if they're not getting paid and not going to get time off in lieu for that work?

If shortsighted management policies are causing problems, then those policies need to be changed.

@Foggy Jew

How does the flexi system permit you to clock in and out on wfh days without affecting the balance?

If you worked less than 7 hours on a wfh day would it reduce your balance?

Why is everyone doing themselves out of 30 mins a day? 0800-1600 with only a half hour lunch is 7:30.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

its 7:30 with 30 mins banked to your flexi time. And in some cases there are Civil Servants still working 39 hours per week as their hours werent reduced with the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OP said that they are not allowed to accumulate flexitime on wfh days.

Which civil servants? It's reasonable to assume the OP is a general service grade unless they say otherwise.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry didnt see the WFH part :D

I know the prison admin grades (CO/EO/HEO) are still contracted to 39 hours as the grade came in after the increase in hours therefore they cant reduce hours.

I'd argue the opposite? The time to set out the consequences of a regressive, rigid policy to senior management is surely right now, in the trial period. Compromise and precedent now will bite staff in the ass in the longer term. Admittedly, though, this will be somewhat dependent on the AP and PO too, I'd say.

* "So the no-flexi-on-WFH-days isn't working out - bizarrely, people won't work past their 7 hours for free. This is effecting PQ response times, etc. We therefore need to make everyone work set hours where their 7 hours a day keeps them there until later in the evening, 9:15 to 13:00 and 14:15 to 17:30"

versus

* "So the no-flexi-on-WFH-days isn't working out - bizarrely, people won't work past their 7 hours for free. This is effecting PQ response times, etc. We therefore need to let people work up their flexi on WFH days, too - if they can work up until 7pm and get credit for it, and don't have to commute home after, either, then we get flexibility from them. They'll happily work late when needed, say when we're on oral PQs - and I won't have to work until 11pm again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10 is that a button

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

Some of Revenue are to be in the office 1 day a week from Monday. It was originally mooted as 1 day a month but someone higher up the chain didn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭andydurnin

Hi. Anyone know if there is any WFH / Blended working in any department in the Drogheda Area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LouLousharoo

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. Our dept are looking for a minimum of 2 days in the office. Flexi is in a trial, we are only allowed to work up flexi hours on days in the office. A new clockwise system was installed in September that separates out wfh hours and flexi hours.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I think the overarching WFH guidelines for all departments state one day per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭skidmarkoner

I think this blended working is turning quickly into a tool that will actually demotivate people who work in the civil service. That the adding of hot desks it's gonna be a **** show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Why?

It should be personal choice and a privilege that can be withdrawn if abused.

Advertisement