Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is planting trees on good land crazy or immoral ?

Options
  • 18-09-2022 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm not a farmer but I own 20 acres of good land in Co Galway( no other land ) . A local farmer was renting for the past 6 years but getting him to pay was extremely stressful and confrontational, even though we had a solicitors contract. I'm seriously considering forestry for a stress free future. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Trees. won't try and cheat you .personally I'd sell and invest else where. Farmers from experience are always bad at paying.

Post edited by handlemaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Planting trees will drastically reduce the value of your good land (I mean in terms of what someone would be willing to pay you for it)

Advice would be to rent it to someone else instead. Long term lease of 5 years is tax free income. Require the money up front at the start of each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Agree. You'd be destroying the future value of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Certainly not immoral. I would say the opposite given the dearth of tree cover in this place. The west of Ireland looks like a desert because of overgrazing. I may move rural soon and hope to have a couple of acres to spare. If so I'll be planting a mix of trees types which I appreciate not just for their beauty but also for their crop such as hazel and apple etc. If a damned sheep wanders on to it he'll be a gonner.

“A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit” – an ancient Greek proverb?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Good land for what OP? Can you grow a crop of barley, wheat or oats on it? Would it be good for potatoes or carrots? Perhaps its only "good" for grass if so its not that good.

Do you have to make money from the land? If that isn't important do wtf you like with it you could even cover it in solar panel or put up a wind turbine and still graze it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement