Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Black has head on addressed the rumours now - he's stepping away for a while, and will return to AEW. I'm assuming the same thing with Murphy because he's called Fightful's headline sh!t, and AEW sent a public Happy Birthday to him also on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sean Ross Twat doubled down before he forgot he fakes caring about the well-being of wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Must say I totally marked out with arms aloft when Sammy beat Eddie Kingston on Rampage!

Absolutely delighted Sammy won!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That Sean Ross Sapp is so full of crap pretends to actually care but then he's the one that post's most of this rubbish in the 1st place that causes these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Black may prefer to go back to WWE all things being equal but he signed a contract. At least he is acknowledging that he can't just walk away from it and rock up at another company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭ThePott

Sounds like Tony has put the foot down and will not be granting anyone a release according to rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Buddy has apparently gone back to Australia to deal with some Visa paper work, that has to do with him being in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Ah no, that can't be true, such a Vince/wwe move could not happen in AEW right?

If you listen closely you can hear the sound of goalposts being moved.

"No, our billionaire('s son) is quirky, wears hoodies and really cares about his wrestlers."

You're a clown if you think Khan, Vince or HHH sees the wrestlers as anything but dollar signs with limbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say the whole thing with Punk may have been the last straw. Will see if he's as willing to have media scrums again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Businesses in standard business actions shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,028 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stands to reason that if you honour the full term of your wrestlers contracts, that you expect them to honour those same contracts to you too, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,364 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Toni Storm vs Serena Debb for the interim Women’s world title announced for tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its weird though.

Black and Murphy were posting promos about freedom and prison when they got out of WWE, after being held against their will. AEW brings them in on massive long term contracts, gives them consistent, if unspectacular, TV time. And then HHH calls and they're desperately demanding to get out of contracts.

It puts AEW in a bad spot, really, and is kind of poor from the wrestlers involved too. If AEW keep them, they're being hypocritical, and you're stuck with people who aren't happy there, which can cause backroom morale issues too. And they made such a big deal of not holding people who were unhappy too.

At the same time, if AEW allows people to just walk from their contracts the second they want to go to WWE, it's going to put AEW in an awful spot too. We aren't talking people that were sitting at home and being "wasted", so if WWE can pinch someone at any time, it makes AEW look incredibly bush league. It sends a message to the fans they are always going to be second rate to WWE, it sends a message to the wrestlers that the contracts are made of tissue paper, and it makes booking lads strongly more difficult. Imagine if bigger names than Black push for quick and immediate releases too. And imagine if Black and Buddy head to WWE with the same act, just like Cody did. It's turned AEW immediately into a developmental territory, rather than a competitor.

Feels like an ideal situation would be WWE and AEW working somewhat closer together and agreeing some sort of buy out agreements with each other. Like, if Hunter wants Black back, WWE have to pay out the contract and make some sort of compensation to AEW. Like a release clause in football. And, likewise, AEW could have similar trades with WWE as needed too.

I think the point is more that the outrage over WWE not releasing talent has been no where near the level of outrage AEW gets for not releasing talent. Those people have all gone quiet but when WWE don't release Ali or Roderick Strong there's uproar.

I wouldn't give a toss if there was a degree of equality. Yet I see people justifying it online with the flimsiest of arguments to say that it's bad when WWE do it but not when AEW do it.

Business decisions are generally not moral and when people treat them as such they usually expose their biases.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,028 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is the important distinction not that the contracts need to work both ways? That people slated WWE for on the one hand cancelling contracts at the drop of a hat, but on the other hand not granting releases? So contracts were only working for WWE, and against the wrestlers.

AEW has wrestlers honour their contracts, but on the other side they honour the contracts of those who become surplus to requirements. So the contracts work for both parties. (And they’ve been pretty decent about granting time off where requested etc too).

Has there been anyone rumoured yet that chose to leave WWE to go to AEW like Cole and now wants to go back to WWE?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Maybe Tony has no idea what he's rambling on about in his promos and couldn't figure out what to do with the gimmick.

Or maybe he is off filming the TV series he landed a role on that starts next week.

Forgot he was in it, but is it just a guest role or recurring?

"East New York", starting this Sunday in the States, for anyone wondering. Strange imdb still has the pilot marked as "filming" when it would want to be filming episode later episodes by now.

WWE firing people willy-nilly is ****, without a doubt. They were massively bloated from hoarding everyone. It was scummy behaviour that was going to be unavoidable as soon as it started. Doing so during a pandemic, etc. made things even worse. AEW are a pretty recent company and it's only been recently that original contracts are starting to lapse and let's be honest anyone, outside of Cody has been a pretty small time player (unless I'm forgetting someone) and there's not even many that have been let go or they've been changed to different contracts. Point being, if AEW gets bloated and starts releasing people, are they bad guys now? Contracts in wrestling are garbage and I think assuming that it is exclusive to WWE is dumb and people suggesting it keep saying otherwise.

People dump on WWE extending contracts for injured wrestlers, AEW has the same clause and seemingly done it before. If you've heard Tony talk about how long he has people under contract, I think it sounds quite despicable personally.

WWE are 'tampering' with contracts. AEW have done this with Jeff Hardy and most likely others. Again the debate of contracts and tampering in wrestling is another conversation altogether.

AEW seemed very interested in talking about unions and healthcare when they started off for clout and then it quickly disappeared.

WWE have given plenty of time off to people recently, Charlotte hasn't been seen in months when she took time for her wedding, they gave Seth and Becky time off, they gave Sasha time off when she was mentally drained a few years back. They're no bastion of morality obviously but the time off thing is very different than what it used to be.

All I'm saying is that people like to keep saying the grass is greener or that AEW is some virtuous company that is totally pro-wrestler and worker rights, they're not. Are they better than WWE morally? Yeah, probably but they also are dealing with less money and don't have the baggage of a long problematic history. On that note, I know TK likes to slam the Saudi deal but does anyone here really think that he'd turn down a deal like that? Genuinely?

Don't ever expect a wrestling company to put morals over money. I'm tired of people pretending that it's fine when one group does it and not the other and then finding a sliver of difference to justify the argument (not saying you're doing that, you have some excellent points) more and more I find myself arguing on the side of WWE lately who historically I think are pretty deplorable but I can't stand the glass house arguments at times and can't help calling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I've raved about Bandido a lot here the last year and wow what a performance. The blood coming through the mask looked unreal. Yes the roster is bloated but I hope Bandido gets something, he's too good to pass up.

Jericho did everything to get and put Bandido over there to fans who wouldn’t have ever seen him before.

No Honor Jericho is great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Cripes that was some cringe of a segment with Saraya. Why did they sign her? If it's to elevate the women by being a mouthpiece against Britt it will bomb based on this promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Thought the exact same, poor promo that got feck all reaction from the crowd and throw in a few digs about WWE for a cheap pop.

Then announces a lumberjack match but walks to the back instead of being one.

I get that she won't be wrestling but what is her role going to be.. women's GM or something?

• Advertisement

She was never a good talker. Not even that great of a wrestler. She was good in a period where the bar was low for women.

I presume the only reason she was brought in was notoriety and her online following because what else is she offering?

Advertisement