Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How much would a heat pump cost?

I assume if you were swapping out a oil burner it wouldn't just involve connecting to the current pipes in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Big PAT KENNY unearthing the smart meter scam on Newstalk this morning. Go Pat!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They were mentioned on the news headlines earlier, many people haven't availed of a smart meter plan, surprise surprise....

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭handpref

It was coming in at around €4500 for the hp unit, tank and fittings - that was for domestic hot water only and doing it myself - more than a 25 year payback.

Theres a lot of talk about people retrofitting air to water hp’s for oil burners- problem is you want the hp sending out the water at the lowest temp possible - so in a bog standard Irish house a radiator at 40deg is pissing in the wind in winter - the oil would be up to 70deg- your then battling poor insulation and air tightness so the 40deg hp supply of hot water won’t heat the house- the rads would also need to be up spec’d. Add into the equation the HP out the back banging away all day at 6kwph and you have tasty electric bill. The house will never hit the desired temp and your night rates no good because in winter the machine will be running 24hrs- as the temp drops outside the hp will ice over causing more inefficiency..there’s also very few good refrigeration techs that are good at these home systems - plumbers don’t do refrigeration so you end up with pipes just being joined up and no proper commissioning of the refrigeration system and associated flow rates to the separate headers on the system. If I had a € for the people who said ‘my heat pump costs a fortune to run’ I’d be loaded.

First thing I did when I moved in was rip out the oil burner- silent electric shower heats water on demand, kitchen and wash hand basins off water heater which is powered off the solar -

My place runs on 2 x 3.5kw air to air HP units - very efficient inverters, works out about €1 a day in winter, house is constant 21deg- now insulated to the hilt and air tight.

I do keep the stove in the open area going all winter which takes the sting out of the electric, I get the wood for free and the units only run if they need too.

House is air conditioned in summer for free via the solar feeding the HP -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Comer1

Thanks for your post. This whole area is a minefield and I can see it being very easy for someone like myself going down the wrong path.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

now insulated to the hilt and air tight

This is the most important thing. If anyone wants to save money on heating, the first thing to do is improve insulation. For any heating system, it'll be more efficient if you can keep the heat inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Probably not, but maybe, if the insulation has been upgraded in the house and with some radiator upgrades it may be possible the heat output of the radiators with a heat pump will work.

Heat pumps like to work at lower temps, I've heard if you can get away with lowering boiler temp to 55 (I think only really possible on gas ones, not sure oil go that low) and that still keeps house warm enough then a heat pump may be an option. But it is really a case by case thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Delboy33

I recently got the day/night metre installed and it is 1 hour and 10 minutes behind which will be correct for winter but out for the summer months. I rang ESB and they said they don't change the metres to cater for day light savings. So, time on metre will be correct for winter months but out by an hour for summer months. Summer night rate is from 12 midnight to 9am. Will Energia correct on their side? If not, what is the actual times for night rate during summer months I should use, 1am to 10am in real time? I know this is simple maths but I want to make sure I am correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Just got our first Energia bill since moving to the EV fixed rate.

Couldn't figure it out so rang Energia. They have advised that there is a problem with the billing for the EV plans at the moment, told me to ignore the current bill and that once a fix is made a new bill will be issued...

I always go through the bills as had a problem with Energia in the past, so will review the corrected bill once it gets sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What you describe is normal. Its how all the d/n meters work.

The meter does not change its clock for summer and winter time.

It is programmed to record two schedules based on its own clock... day (8am-11pm) and night(11pm-8am). It does that all year round which means it will actually be 12am-9am during the summer.

The providers dont need to adjust anything. They will get the reading from ESB and just apply day and night rates as read from the meter.

what is the actual times for night rate during summer months I should use

Summer... night rate is 12-9am

Winter... night rate is 11pm-8am

Now, you did say the meter is out by 1hr 10mins which means your actual night rate is 10mins off (which is also normal). So, your actual night rate starts at 10mins off the base times.

If you are still confused the easiest way to figure it out is simply look at the clock on the meter.... night rate ALWAYS starts when the clock on the meter hits 11pm. So, take a look at the clock around midnight tonight and when you see the clock on the meter hitting 11pm that is exactly the start of your night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I got one this morning as well which covers 13 days for some odd reason. Was charged 17.5c and 10.5c for night rate units before the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Liam2021

With energia and every time I contact them they say I have a smart meter. I have attached a picture if anybody can advise me. I know its a day night but does this meter have smart capabilites they say I don't have to read it.

Thats a standard meter. Can be 24hr or day night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭John arse

My own clock is a half hour slow-handy in the morning.checked it there at 1 45 it say's 12 15😳😳😳,anyway the best way imo to know where you are is check the T1 and T2 arrow-it shows what rate you're at,T1-night rate/T2 daytime rate.good luck👍

Post edited by John arse on

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭electricus

That's what I had installed yesterday to replace my smart meter. I have to wait for the system to update before I can sign up for the day/ night EV plan with Energia as when they check its still saying I have a smart meter.

The electrician said mine was his 3rd swap in a day from smart to day/night. It seems mad that the brand new smart meters can't be configured for 24hour or day/night over the air, or (even better) why Energia can't offer the EV plan to smart meter customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Had a day night fitted myself today also replacing a smart meter. Seems crazy how they can't or won't offer the same tariff on the smart meters.

Someone made a good point that they're not going to offer anything half decent until everyone has smart meter installed as currently 1.5 million still to be fitted so they don't want people hassling them to hurry up the roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

So after 43 pages folks, what's the best plan for EV owners?

The esb lad that switched mine out and seen my solar panels. He tried to get me to keep the smart meter haha

Then i proceeded to tell him the craic and he was like "ok sounds like you've done your homework haha"

He said the whole thing is an utterly farce and that the smart meters can be configured to have a day/night but they won't do it. Sure wasnt the CRU rep on primetime last night saying they were unaware of any issues. The regulator either in on the scam or asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

For someone that just got a smart meter installed and was thinking of switching to a smart plan, why shouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

The CRU have been asleep at the wheel. An absolute disgrace. The government too. What a fine little country.

Because there is a good chance its going to cost you more money, particularly if you have an EV which will be charging at night in which case its a day/night tariff will give you the best rates.

And wait until they realise the unit price of GAS on these plans. That's actually the most scandalous bit of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone have a google sheet of the plans from the different providers and discounts? Very hard to get definitive data.

People post google sheets of that every now and again on the forum but its pointless unless the sheets are continuously updated and you'll never know if they are, so you are taking a gamble trusting an unverified google sheet. I'd avoid if I were you.

Your friend in this case are the verified and regulated price comparison websites... bonkers.ie , switcher.ie etc

They are verified and continuously updated as the providers change their prices. They have occasional errors in them but get fixed quick enough. You can enter your exact rates and usage and it will tell you what the best plan is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I got an enhanced connection from ESBN (16 kVA) and this is their fuse and its 100Amp.

You are right though the in the main consumer board trip is 80Amp so limited to that

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement