Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yep maybe it goes higher. I have done field tests as well and got the same/similar but not since 2020, it would be really interesting to do those fields tests in a group of similar standard runners, most likely there is scope to get more out of myself. Anyways, food for thought. Sorry for the hijack Alan 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

What type of HRM are you using? Plus are you working of Max HR or HRR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Pretty standard Garmin Chest Strap - it's years old so haven't a foggy clue of the model but it's def Garmin and I wear it 95% of runs. Using HRR. RHR is recorded on my watch though, so maybe that is way off though anytime I have done an ECG (most recently was pre-op in May) the various health professional has remarked on how low my RHR is, so I don't think my watch is off by a mile. Lowest HR I've achieved in recently weeks is 136 and with the humidity mostly higher. Can't for the life of me get my head around running anything below <136.

I hope you had a nice holiday!

Had a great holiday - thanks.

So that figure of <136 - is that HRR? If so - then I'm not running to HRR but max HR.

When I do an easy run - I'm using a % of max as my guide - not HRR.

Catching up;

** Week 11-17th July**:

Wed 13th - legs a little tired after the 30min Tempo on Tuesday - but 5.5m helped with recovery.

Thursday 14th: 20mins at 7.40 (80%MP) / 40mins at 6:30 / 20mins 7.40 - Found this tough - legs tired from the Tuesday. Quite warm too.

Friday 15th: 5m recovery run.

Sat 16th: Fly to Portugal - Rest day

Sunday 17th: 1hr 45mins - 12.5 miles scoping our Lagos. Lovely part of the world - amazing cliff views.

Total for week: 50 miles.

** Week 18th - 24th July**

Mon - legs felt terrible - its as if they knew my brain was on holidays. Ran 6 miles but didn't enjoy it. Started coughing and spluttering later on that day so took Tues & Wed off.

Thurs: Decided to run before my family sent me home - not running is difficult for me. Just under 6 miles.

Friday: 6 miles AM.

Sat: 50mins at Moderate HR + 6x200 - about 7 min miles - averaging 143 HR (10 bpm below MP) but maxed at 155 - even my sweat was sweating until there was no more sweat.

Sunday: 1 hr 45 mins - meant to be at a quicker pace - but legs were tired - 12.5 miles at 8 min/miles (126 ave HR with a water stop halfway through)

Total for week: 38.5miles

** Week 25th-31st July**

Took Monday off - session on Tuesday, recovery run Wednesday and a final 7m run on Thursday

Tuesday: Attempted session - 10mins at 6.50 (95%MP) / 7x2mins at 10k / 7x30secs at 5k/ 4x50m fast

Too fast on the 10min piece - the 7x2min piece was to effort - 3 of them were slower than 6.20 pace (aim was 5.50) - the rest were short sprints/strides - went ok.

Didn't do Thursdays planned session.

Home on Saturday night.

Sunday: 40mins at 7.40 / 40mins at 7.30 / 40mins at 7.20

Huge difference running in Irelands climate - very muggy still, but more comfortable.

Lovely route with a long uphill finish.

16m / 7.25 pace / 141 HR

35 miles for the week

** Week August 1-7th **

Monday: PP trail recovery - 5.5 miles - lovely run in the rain.

Tuesday: Session - 10mins@6.50 / 8x2mins@10k / 8x30secs@5k / 4x50m

2 reps were on the slower end of things - I was expecting 5.50's but body only able for just under 6. But I did keep the recoveries quite high at 7.10's (bar the last one).

Overall 10.6miles

Wednesday: back to the PP trails - body was very tired today - 5.2m/8.30 pace.

Thursday: Didn't sleep too well on Wed night - woke up in a pile of sweat at 2am - had to sleep on the sofa as it was so wet. Strange.

Then the dog woke me at 6am - not a great start to the day.

The session for this evening was 6x3km@6.30 with 1km Steady (7.20 pace) - I've normally done a hilly route in the PP for these but decided to keep to non hilly route as much as possible. I did miss one of these runs on Holiday - it was a 8x2k version - so I was wondering how I'd react to such a hard effort.

Warm up went well - 1 mile at 7.33.

Rep 1: 6.27/6.28 (pace for 0.86m) (recovery 1km at 7.10 pace)

Rep 2: 6.28/6.22 (7.06)

Rep 3: 6.26/6.28 (7.02 - I forgot I was on a recovery at 1 point)

Rep 4: 6.24/6.27 (6.58)

Rep 5: 6.32/6.39 (7.47) - My feet felt hot for a while in Next% and I was getting a blister in my right foot, plus fatigue was setting in big time. My Right shin was cramping up during this - causing me to slow down.

Rep 6: 6.53/7.17 - Bad cramp now - right hand side of the shin - had to stop in the 1st mile for 30 secs to ease it. Its happened in training a few times before.

I just done 2k of the planned 3k as the cramp moved to my calf and the blister was screaming at me.

Finished this part with 14.6 miles at 6.45 pace.

Then had a 1 mile walk/jog home - due to the effort I put in - my stomach was in bits and I couldn't eat for about 2 hours.

Total:@ 15.8 miles.

Friday 5th: Rest day.

• Advertisement

Saturday: 50 mins at Moderate HR + 6x200at MP.

The intention of this is to fatigue the legs for the long run, but the strides help wake them up at the end. I need to address how I run this type of run as its a Saturday staple and I run it incorrectly e.g. trying to get to HR too soon - Pace falls, HR increases.

Mile 1& 2 were sub 7's - mile 7&8 were 7.30's

I should run it as 15mins under HR/20 mins at HR/ 15 mins Over HR - may be next week!!

Total:8.4m 7.22 pace ave

Sunday: 2 hours at 7.40 pace (80% of MP)

Didn't get out til later on Sunday - just in time for Man U v Brighton - Newstalk had it - so put on the earphones and off I went.

Route was from CK, a slight meander through the park, into the War Memorial Gardens, onto the Quays, Up Manor Street, to Phibsborough, up the canal, home through Laurel Lodge.

Probably 6 miles Downhill and 10 uphill - exactly the stimulus I want for DCM.

Pace held at 7.30's but I allowed myself the 'privalage' of dropping to 7.50's in latter miles as it was quite warm and a good bit of it was uphill - didn't need it as I held the pace and made it home. My blister from Thursday was crying a bit but nothing from the cramp in the shin or anything like that.

3-4 pints of water/electrolytes were needed after that - it was quite warm out.

16m at 7.30 pace (2 hrs bang on)

62 miles for the week - highest mileage since Jan '22 - Pre seville.

Legs are tired tonight, but thats to be expected after holidays. Looking to kick on in the coming 2-3 weeks as the body adapts.

Will I update / wont I update - Do I get anything from the log??

Monday Aug 8th: 6m Trail recovery - 8.24 pace.

Tuesday: Session - 5x6mins Tempo (15 mins at a decent pace either side of the 6x6 - meant to be 7.20's but I thought it was 7.40's)

Another very warm workout.

Paces for the reps: 6.06 / 6.05 / 6.12/ 6.11 / 6.08 - 4/5 recoveries at a decent pace - recovery after the 3rd rep was a walk 'cos I was bollixed!

9.2m total.

Wednesday: Had to bring one of my daughters to a match in Rush (my car driving daughter is in the US) - managed to get just over 40 mins out and back in Rush.

5.21m / 7.57 pace

Thursday: Cutdown Progression:

Session was a tasty one - 2x1.5m / 2x0.75m / 2x1k / 2x800m / 2x400 / 2x200

Starting at MP+10 and finishing at MP-40: All worked out to be a % of MP, - recovery was a decent 7 to 7.15 pace.

Session went well - it was incessant. The recoveries are ok at the start and then begin to bite - I found the faster parts ok actually!

Worked out (with 1m WU inc) at 10.4m at 6.47 pace - added a short 0.5m recovery - but it was pointless as it was sooo warm out.

Friday: Short run - 4.3m / 8.08 pace

Saturday: 50min moderate HR + 5x200

Wore the Boston 10's for this - about as useless as an ashtray on an electric scooter - I wanted to run this more controlled than previous weeks and just about managed it. The HR climbed quite quickly due to the heat.

7.66m / 7.30 ave.

Sunday: 60mins at 80% MP (7.50) / 60 mins at 90% MP (7.10)

I stayed around the non hilly part of the PP for this - I parked on Furze Road so I had access to water (electrolytes) - another warm and muggy morning.

I hated the 1st part of this - felt like a bit of a slog - I often feel this way doing loops and much prefer my long runs to be on a non looped route. It was quite warm as well with very little wind.

I stopped for water after about 50 mins and got going again - picking it up after the hour.

The 1st 60mins averaged about 7.45 pace - running at a faster clip certainly suited me and felt better right away. I did start to get tired on the last mile but was very happy with the run - the 2nd 60mins averaged just under 7 min/miles

16.3m / 7.22 pace / 2 hours running

Great to see some friendly faces this morning.

60 miles for the week.

Right - Double down on Boards for this training block - it deserves a double down :)

Monday: Recovery run around the area - its a non hilly route and I quite like it despite the cars.

5.9m @ 8.08 pace.

Tuesday: Session - 10mins at 6.50 pace / 9x2min @10k / 9x30secs @5k / 4x50m all out.

Parked on the Furze road and done a 1m warmup before picking it up for the 10mins at 6.50 (95% MP) - this brought me to Chapelizod Road (done the 10mins at 6.40 pace due to downhill).

The 9x2 mins (plan was 10k effort) were tough at the start - the headwind making the initial ones harder.

I've been making a very conscious effort to run the recoveries 'at a decent pace' in these sessions - for today, I tried to control them a bit better and be a few (30?) seconds slower - made a big difference.

the 2 min reps went well bar 1 (stopped too soon on 2nd rep) - pace improved as the session went on. Probably ave 5.55's for the reps and 7.40's for recoveries.

The 30 sec reps were fine - a bit slower on the recoveries but its 5k pace - so to be expected.

4x50m are just a fantastic tool - its just like flying! Real arm pumping sprints. Over before you know it.

Mile and a bit back to the car as a CD.

10.1m

Wednesday: 5 mile recovery - shoulda went to the park on grass - but wifey's car is getting repaired (again) - so looped around my non hilly route.

5m / 8.20

Thursday: Big session - 5x4k at 6.30 with 1k float (7.20)

Prepared well for this - plenty of Carbs, water and electrolytes - I checked previous training sessions and noted one I had done (a Steve Way Session) of 4x16 mins. This was going to be similar - just with an additional rep + a quicker recovery. Simples.......right?

The downside of todays run was going to be the breeze - it was 17mph coming directly down Chesterfield Ave.

I had planned a similar route to the last iteration of this run - taking in a few loops locally before coming to the park - there's a familiarity with the park that eases the mind a bit - so taking my runs outside the PP is not a bad thing. I parked on the Furze with the intention of running back up to Carpenterstown and doing some local loops.

1m WU and I felt ready to rock - with the breeze I knew the splits were going to be on the higher side.

1st rep: 6.35 / 6.32 / 6.35 (pace for about 0.5m) - 1st half of this uphill into the breeze - was questioning myself right away if I could get it done as I finished a stones throw away from my house.

1k Recovery at 7.10 pace

2nd Rep: 6.32/6.35/6.35 (for 0.5m) - best part of 2m were great as I had a tailwind - huge difference, then I ran a lap of the park in Laurel Lodge and nearly died a death into the wind for a bit.

1k recovery at 7.11 pace (took a gel here)

3rd Rep: 6.33 / 6.31 / 6.38 - Came into the park via the CK gate and ran around to White Gate - the headwind here was fierce as was the repeat going upto CK gate again. A tough couple of efforts to go I was thinking.

1k Recovery at 7.20 (stopped for 20-30 secs to finish Gel and cross the road at CK Gate)

4th Rep: 6.26 / 6.37 / 6.35. - Going down C'Field - lovely tailwind, all is good in the world - a wave to ScottinDublin - turn right at the Triangle and Holy Jebus - the stretch from here back upto CK gate was horrible - 'Poxy Wind' I shout to SiD as I passed him again.

1k Rec in 7.20 pace

I knew I couldn't do another rep into the breeze at this stage. After not fully completing the last version of this - I wanted to complete it in 1 piece. So I changed the route and ran down the North Road with the luxury of a tail wind.

5th Rep: 6.29/6.29/6.42 - During the 1st mile I felt a slight stitch in my side - I tried to 'pinch' it during the run or dig my fingers into it - but found myself having to stop for 15-20 secs to stretch it out - got going again and was feeling ok at the pace but fatigue certainly setting in. My guilt at taking an easy route down the North Road made me finish the rep going up the hill by the Magazine Fort :)

Finished this with a very slow 2m cooldown to the Furze Road into a horrible breeze - not sure if it had picked up at that moment - but found myself being impressed at running some of the reps into it!!

the 'Session part' was 16 miles at 6.47 pace. / 2.2m CD at 8.25

18.2m total

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: 50 mins moderate + 5x200 at MP.

I made a much better fist of this run - keeping the initial 15-20 mins under HR. Pace stayed relatively stable throughout which I was happy with

7.7miles - 7.20 pace

Sunday: Plan was 2 hours at 7.30 + 15x20sec MP strides with 40 secs float.

The 2 hours went ok - was a bit tired and dehydrated. Hit 7.39 for the 1st mile which is a good sign. Climbing from 7th mile but the pace stayed good and HR played ball.

I meant to do 15 strides at the end, but I had promised my daughter I'd take her to work, so had to cut it short when she text'd me to 'remind' me!

17 miles - 7.24 pace.

64 miles for the week with 1 rest day.

Post edited by AuldManKing on

Monday: Didn't get out til late (5.10pm :) ) and had about a million things to do, so kept the run to 4miles - was meant to be 50 mins, but 33 will have to do.

Legs a bit tired, so didn't mind.

4.1m / 8.09 pace

Tuesday: Had to get this done at lunchtime as I had to go to Laois that evening to pick up our new (& 2nd) dog.

A 10 week old Golden Retriever. Am I mad!!

Anyway - the lunchtime run went very well - The session was 20min at 7.20 / 15 at 6.00 / 20 at 7.20.

The legs felt strong from the off.

20mins: about 7.05 pace.

15mins: 5.55 / 5.54 / 5.59 (for 0.5m) - From CK Gate - 2mile loop, back to CK gate.

20mins: About 7.00 pace

Felt strong throughout despite the humidity.

After the 15min at 6.00 - I sat down for about 1-2 mins and the sweat just pumped out of me.

So slightly quick overall but felt very good on the run.

8.2m / 6.42 ave pace

Wednesday: Easy miles - 50mins around the area - legs a bit 'meh' initially, but loosened out as it went along.

5.9m / 8.06 pace

Thursday: Session - 15 min moderate / 60min MP / 15 min Moderate

Started out with a 5min WU until I was at 7.20 pace - then settled into the 15min Moderate - holding back initially which is always a good sign.

the 15min at 7.05 pace - a smidgen too fast maybe - especially with an hour at 6.30's to follow.

Started the 60min section at Myo's, heading to the PP - so had a good couple of downhill miles to ease into it. Made my way to the Furry Glen to add some hills to the early part and then to the S Bends - which I found very tough.

Going up Military Road by the Wellington Monument is always difficult and had my slowest mile here (6.33).

As I passed the zoo, I had to take a 20sec break due to traffic but moreso people who cant walk in single file or even 2 abreast. 'Lets take up the whole path and have a chat and not let people pass'. Drives me mad (although the break was welcome :) )

I felt very strong going up the North Road but the HR was probably higher than I'd of liked (160's) - turned left and then went up Chesterfield to the CK Gate before turning back down to head for Whits Gate. Approaching Whites Gate (Farmleigh) I had 2 min left, so ventured up Whites Road, which at that moment felt like climbing Everest. Maintained the pace for the finish but was wiped at the end.

That 60mins (9.3m) contained a lot of hills & drags - maybe I'll chose a different route next time!

I had to take a 1min walk break to compose myself after that and got going again for the 2nd 15min period. A 7.10 and 7.15 mile seen me close to home, followed by a short cool down. Brought the dog (the older one) out for an hour soon afterwards to help the legs recover.

14.5m total / 6.46 pace ave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That was a fantastic session. Very impressive.

Friday 26th Aug: Was going to take a rest day but decided on a 30min recovery run - mainly on grass.

3.6m / 8.25

Saturday: 50min Moderate + 5x200m

I do like these runs, but have ran them badly (starting too fast & seeing HR spike and pace drop substantially (for same HR)

Last weeks run was much better, so I knew its a question of a decently paced 1st couple of miles.

1st 2 miles were 7.14/7.08 - but the HR was still in 130's - the tgt HR is 143-146 (10 beats below Mara HR apparently) - then I had a couple of miles at set HR (7.08/7.00/6.54) and the remaining miles were over HR, but at similar pace (6.54/7.03/7.07)

The ave HR came in at 144 for the 50 mins.

8.25m / 7.06 pace.

Sunday: Long Run - 2hrs 15mins at 7.40 (30sec surge every 15 mins).

Hated every min of this, despite taking my usual 'nice & scenic' route along the Canal, PP and war memorial gardens - it was a slog.

Quite a few stops in it either watching the Triathlon or pretending to watch the Triathlon whilst not being bothered running :) - the surges added a little bit of something to the run, but still a vanilla plod.

Made it home - not 100% happy with it but its done - always hated these runs - best done with people.

17.05m / 7.35 pace (missing mile somewhere - was actually 18m ran in 2hr 15)

62 miles for the week.

Monday 29th: 6m - usual loop, legs felt great today!!

6m / 8.03 pace.

Tuesday: Session - 10min at 6.50 pace / 10x2min / 10x30sec / 4x50m (all off 1 min)

Wasn't looking fwd to this for some reason - been quite busy in work and at home so a lot going on around me right now. You ever feel in the middle of a tornado, so much whirling around - quite sure that you are missing out on things (appts, kids stuff, work, etc......) and doing a session that contains 10 reps wasn't good for the head - 10 of anything is tough.

Anyway - a decent 10-12 min warm up and I started onto the 10@6.50 - this brought me around to the PP Gate. Legs were feeling good.

The 10x2mins actually flew in - I felt great on the reps, trying to keep them in and around 5.55 pace which is fine - but its the quicker recovery pace that makes them tough (rec 7.15-7.30 for 1 min). All went well apart from 1 recovery which was an 8.30 - 'slacker'....I know.

the 10x30secs is an interesting one - meant to be at 5k pace (say 5.40) with recoveries at 7.15-7.30 pace - in the past, I'd blast the 30secs and then suffer on the recovery and repeat - so today I wanted to control the 30secs (on pace) so the recovery would be smoother.

Managed that and it felt much better.

The final element are 4x50m - all out sprint for about 10 secs. - always goes well.

Overall - just under 12 miles for the session with WU and CD.

Wednesday: Went out for a 50min recovery run, came back after 35 mins - felt terrible, underfuelled, no energy etc.

4m / 8.22 pace

Thursday 1st Sept: 4x5k at 6.30 (off 1k at 7.20)

Another build on the previous run of 5x4k (which went well - apart from a stitch).

Unlike other times - I wasn't apprehensive about this - its basically 4x3miles with a quickish recovery. I had eaten well the previous night and also had a decent breakfast and lunch - but I still left the house without my gels - I had planned to take 2 (part practice and part to help my stomach issues after runs)

I done a 1m WU and felt ready to rock.

Rep 1: PP Gate, OS Road, Furze (tough with headwind) , Triangle, North Road - went well, felt strong (obviously as it was the 1st rep!)

Paces 6.22/6.27/6.26

1k Recovery at 7.08 pace.

Rep 2: Same route as 1st Rep - paces were 6.21/6.25/6.27 - the wind on the Furze Road was tough so noted to not do it on last 2 reps.

1k Recovery at 7.10 pace

Rep 3: Route was 1.5 laps of the 2m route I use (C'Field/North Road) - I done it the reverse way as I normally do it - so heading back to PP Gate on the North Road drag. Last mile was tough. Paces: 6.24/6.25/6.27

1k Recovery at 7.24 pace (also included a WTF am I doing stop for about 10-20 secs :) )

Rep 4: Route was a lap of the 2 mile route as above and then brought it down by the Popes Cross and Acres Road for a bit of Variation (short stop to cross the road). This felt good as I had a bit of a tailwind for the last mile. Finished up about a mile from the car. Paces: 6.32/6.28/6.26

So overall with the 1m WU this came to 15.3m at 6.38 pace - very happy with that.

1m cool down back to the car - top and shorts absolutely drenched.

16.3 total.

So following sessions like this, I find I cant eat anything for a few hours afterwards. Even choc milk doesn't sit well.

I can drink electrolytes etc, but eating - forget about it.

I think if I had fuel/electrolytes on the run, it would help me - something to work on.

August finished with 270 miles (2nd highest monthly mileage in 2.5 yrs)

Friday: Rest day.

Saturday: Another Saturday, another Steady run with MP Strides. Main effort here is to My HRM isn't working so had to rely upon wrist HR + effort.

1st 2 miles under HR/Effort - looked like the Wrist HRM was somewhat accurate. (tight to my wrist) (7.05/7.00)

Next 3 miles were at or slightly above HR - 6.58/6.54/7.02

Next 2 and a bit miles felt effortless - 6.46 and 7.00

5x200 at MP at the end.

Really like the Puma Velocity 2 for these runs - reminds me of the 1st TC that I had. A very Versatile shoe indeed and a great price point.

Sunday: Long Run: 70 mins at 7.50 / 65 mins at 7.10

Set out at 9.30 on this - the nature of where I live always meant that the faster segment was going to be uphill all the way.

So - 1st thing to do - make sure the 1st segment is at correct pace - 7.50 pace.

Mile 1 7.24!! - How f'ing stupid can I be :)

1st segment (9 miles) was about 7.35 (generally downhill) - I knew I'd suffer the 2nd segment as it was also quite humid.

I was listening to a very interesting podcast from Dan Nash on Fueling for a Marathon - mentioned a lot of stuff we all know - but also mentioned the fact that taking 1 gel over a few miles is better than swallowing it all in 1 go. (Scullion mentioned similar in his podcast).

So trialed this, taking 1/3 of a gel every now and then every 30 mins.

2nd segment - I upped the pace - but became very very thirsty. I stopped at the Visitor Center in PP and found a tap in their courtyard - heaven!

I need to do a better job taking water with me and leaving it somewhere.

Another forced stop at Level crossing at Ashtown and made it home - the 2nd segment being close to 7.05 pace. (but uphill).

Stomach felt much better than previous runs, but still had to wait a bit before eating. I think taking on water/fuel would help with this.

Shoe today was the Rebok Floatride Energy - a carbon plated jobby - again a good pricepoints and one of my goto's for sessions and long runs.

18m / 7.21 pace.

63m for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice work lately, A - you're going well.

I feel your pain on the eating after a long run, especially when there's a bit of effort involved. I have to force a smoothie into me, keeps me going until I can actually eat

Week 5-11th Sept.

Key session was 15 steady/ 15x1min on-off/ 15 steady.

1st 15 Steady was about 7.15 pace.

The 15x1min was done on the OS/Furze Triangle - the ON paces averaged 5.50.

2nd Steady period was about 7.10 pace - hilly homeward route.

8.2m total.

Apart from that it was easy miles - some with some strides

Saturday 10th September: Ratoath Half Marathon

I've never raced a goal HM well - maybe 1, years ago - the Athlone Flatline where I chased a sub 1.25. Apart from that, I've never mastered the HM's - my last 2 PB's were disasters in Bohermeen - badly paced and badly ran.

So I wanted to put that right.

Got to Ratoath about 8.50 - a nice 20 min drive - and done a warm up, including strides - a few hellos to some familiar faces, a bit of stretching and strides and I lined up next to 2 lads I knew would be somewhat around where I was (R & S).

I would have hoped that I was in sub 80 shape, but I knew that this Mara plan was very specific to the Mara and there were very few Tempo/HM type workouts in there - My PB was 1.21.41 (6.13 pace) so beating that would be a good run on a somewhat 'honest' course.

A nice minutes silence for our running friend Thomas - impeccably observed - despite 1 or 2 people asking if it was for the queen!

Off we went and the I knew that the 1st 3+ miles were downhill, so was prepared to run slightly ahead of goal pace here - took a while to find a nice rhythm, but settled in behind a few lads. Had a bit of a chat with a buddy I ran most of Seville with (& had dinner afterwards) and a hello to Evan McC from Mullingar.

The pace was settling in too much and my other target 'R' was off in the distance, so I left that group and moved ahead a bit - overtaking 'S' about the 2 mile mark. By the 3rd mile I was really noticing how warm it was as the sun was shining right in our faces. Sweating at this stage - didn't take water at the station - hate water in cups!!

Mile 1: 6.00 / Mile 2: 6.03 / Mile 3:6.05

We then turned left towards Kilbride and there was a group ahead - inc 'R' - but too far ahead to make a burst to catch at this point.

At this stage - I felt a bit isolated - there was probably a group of 100 just behind me :) - but I couldn't see them, just focusing ahead of me.

We turned again at Kilbride, Jay had warned my of a drag here and I ignored the water stations again - despite the heat.

The paced dropped a bit here, a mixture of the drag, tiredness, the heat and those demons! This road was endless - nothing worse than a long straight road in a race!! I was also noting the 1st semblance of a stitch - I dug my fingers into my abdomen to get it away - hopefully it stayed away.

Mile 4: 6.07 / Mile 5: 6.06 / Mile 6: 6.13

During mile 7 I had the 1st thoughts of dropping out - I also had those thought of never racing again and taking up Golf.......seriously!

I then countered - maybe no more than 10m races in the future. It felt horrible.

There was a family handing out water bottles about the 7 mile mark - they saved my race. A few swigs of water, pour some over the head and focus on the group ahead - who were coming back to me.

I was working harder than I thought I would, 8 miles into a HM - I was working out the time left to the finish to keep my mind focused away from the pain and the demons.

Working the time into 'Laps of the Park' and 'only 2 loops of my 2m route til 1 mile to go' - that sort of stuff.

We turned left just after the 8m marker and the pace dropped again - I looked at my watch and I was running at MP at one stage - Come on Alan - get moving - I could see 'R' just ahead and I wanted to catch him - that really spurred me on.

Even though it was tough, I was still passing people at this stage - the groups were coming back as a lot of people were suffering at this stage.

Mile 7: 6.12 / Mile 8: 6.12 / Mile 9: 6.19

As we approached the 10 mile mark, I was getting worried about my finish time - I really wanted a PB and knew it would be touch and go if the pace kept declining.

The stretch before we came into the Racecourse again was horrible - another long drag, but you could see people turning left and that drove us on.

'R' was just ahead of me with a couple of others.

Onto the racecourse and over about 100m of sand (seeing 2nd and 3rd come home) right into an uphill windy section of the course. Jaysus H Christ - you are having a laugh.

At this stage I came alongside 'R' who was struggling - he looked behind me and said - 'Push on Al, 'S' is just behind you' - that was all the encouragement I needed.

Mile 10: 6.16 / Mile 11: 6.16 / Mile 12: 6.18

Coming around the course - thankfully we turned and could now see the Grandstand, I could hear 1 person behind me who overtook me - I couldn't respond too much, but did increase the pace. I recall thinking (with about 0.5m to go) - this part isn't too bad - FFS - I was trying to time the burst to prevent being overtaking again - at this stage I really didn't care if 'S' overtook me - he's a great runner & friend - we bounce off each other as we are at similar levels - if he overtook me - he was deserving of it as I had given everything.

Thankfully he didn't :)

I was watching up ahead, looking for Darrens (formally of these parts - he is absolutely flying these days) yellow top to see where the turn for the finish was - I increased the speed when I seen it.

Mile 13 beeped 6.10 and we had a bit to go - push on, the crowd were great - a Cru guy I had passed earlier came steaming past me - well deserved - and I crossed the line.

Final 0.13m was 5.44 pace.

No sooner had I crossed the line when I moved to the side and continued to wretch for about 5 mins - I couldn't control my stomach - the sign of a tough race well ran.

Finish time was 1.21.08 (6.11 pace) - so a 33 second PB.

A few good chats with so many people - makes these races so worthwhile - the running community are excellent.

I bumped into Elaine and done a warm down with her - she ran a very smart race - superb pacing that led to an un-tapered PB.

On the drive home - while happy with the PB - I was wondering what it would have taken to run Sub 80 today (or another day) - I recall running Bohermeen in 2020 (after my sub 60 10mile..........did I ever mention that I went sub 60.......) when a thigh issue curtailed my gallop mid race but I ran a 'comfortable' 1.21.41 in Hailstones........remember that day prior to the world closing down?.

I cant compare the 2 times or the efforts because the routes are different - but its certainly lit a fire in me that I need to quash in 2023.

So its all systems go for DCM - no more races and a tough few weeks ahead as we get into the real meat of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB A, when those demons come so early on(like they did for me in FD) it can be so hard to fight them off, but you did & finished in an amazing time! Thanks for the company for the C/D , I love nothing more than a good chat with a fellow runner😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff Alan, enjoy the PB and stop worrying about random times - you're right, every course is different. It took Frank Duffy for me to realise what a good run I'd done in Cobh.

By the way Cobh was a 10m - have you ever gone sub-60? 😉

Many congrats on the PB.

Great run A and great tactics to fight the demons. Sadly its part and parcel of running that they need to be dealt with - otherwise the effort isnt there.

What would it take to run sub 80?

Not run a marathon, do half marathon specific and a taper ;)

Keep the main thing the main thing right??? 😁

Ah Murph - a sub 80 is not a random time - a goal is a goal and we do this to keep ourselves motivated. Happy with a PB but we keep driving. Had I of went 79 - I'd be asking about sub 78.

Swashbuckler - yep - you are correct - Specificity is key!!

Another top tip is to race Charleville 😉

Interestingly my half marathon plan is very much 10k strength based with some HM specifics towards the latter few weeks but certainly not all the way through.

But the marathon is a different thing entirely. Nobody is running 20 mile sessions in a half marathon block. So considering where you are at with DCM training thats a super result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Fair play A - loving seeing the PBs coming again, your training seems to suit you very well this time around

Of course. But a PB at this stage of anyone's running career is something to celebrate. Anyway I'd be looking at sub-81 first. 😉 (Not that I will ever be looking at those kind of numbers). What does a sub-80 require? One way of looking at it is that it needs more than twice as much further improvement (69 secs) as the already substantial 33 secs you knocked off this one. Small bites are the only sustainable way to do it I reckon! Congrats again.

Sunday 11th: The instruction here was for a run that was just a bit harder than easy - a HR in the 130's.

7 miles around my loop - nice drizzell before the heavens opened. - 7.40 pace

Monday 12th: nothing too strenuous - just over 6 miles easy - legs felt great.

Tuesday 13th: Session: 10mins at 6.50 / 8x2.30 / 8x30 secs / 4x50m

Wasn't too sure what way the legs would be for this after the Half - need not have had any fears as I felt very strong.

1.5m WU - always a good sign when the 1st mile of a WU starts with a 7.

10 mins at 6.50 (this is a % of MP - just an additional stimulus prior to the faster stuff): just under 6.40 pace for the 10 mins.

8x2.30: These went well - probably guilty of slowing up in last few secs on some of them, but felt strong in all reps.

Probably 5.55 average with the recoveries at 7.20's-7.30's

8x30 secs: ave 5.20's-5.30's with recoveries in 7.30's.

4x50m: All out sprints - jog recovery - done 2-3 of these going uphill on Whites Road

1.5m C/D

11.1 miles all in (6.50 pace average)

Wednesday: 45mins recovery - mainly on Grass

Thursday: 3x7km (1km Steady)

Another build on previous few weeks of iterations of this workout - this is one of the final ones of this build (theres one more version left I think, its a 6/5/4/3/2/1k).

I actually was looking forward to this as I was feeling strong this week and really wanted to do well on it. I ate well on the Thursday prior to the session but probably could've drank more. Wore the Reebok carbon shoe for this - a lovely shoe, really like them for these sessions.

Session went as follows:

WU: 1m@ 7.40

1st 7km (4.35 miles): From my place down to the PP with a couple of detours (6.26 / 6.22/ 6.21/ 6.28/ 6.23 for 0.35)

1km Recovery - 7.05 pace.

2nd 7km: OS/Furze/ 2m Loop of North Road back up Chesterfield (6.19/ 6.24/ 6.28/6.22 / 6.29 for 0.35) - took 1 gel after 2 miles of this rep.

1km Recovery - 7.15 pace

3rd 7km: Done loops of the OD/Furze road - really settled into a groove here but got a bit distracted as I thought I was going to have to stop for a nature poo after 2 miles - had to compose myself for 10-20 secs and get going again - clenching when neccessary :) - (6.26 / 6.27/6.26/6.25/ 6.26 for 0.35)

- during this rep, a buddy of mine was out for a spin on his bike and came alongside me - "how's it going Alan, what you doing?" - "Nothing much, I'm at 15 miles at 6.35 pace - hows things with you? " :)

Finished the session feeling very strong and probably the best I've felt on one of these longer midweek sessions.

finished up the key part at 15.3 miles - ave pace was 6.34. Really happy with this, probably my best ever session for distance/pace.

Just over a 2m run home - didn't find it a slog like previous weeks.

17.5 miles total (for a Thursday :) )

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: 50 min Steady run + 5x200 MP strides - main intention is to fatigue the legs a little for Sundays long run.

My HRM is on the blink - so was using wrist HR/pace and effort as my guide.

1st mile came in at 7.15 (no warm up) so knew all was well :) - Just a tad over 7 miles for the 50 mins and into the 5x200's for a small bit of turnover to help them recover a bit.

8.1m / 7.05 ave.

Sunday: 2hrs 30mins long run - prescribed pace: 7.20/mile

Decided to do this on the DCM route - parking at the Zoo and running to join the route at Kilmainham.

Just over a mile to get onto the route and then embarrassingly had to check the Strava Route that I set up to plot the course for the correct Left turn - I needed to do this a couple of times before getting to Dolphins Barn.

The Crumlin Stretch is as bleak as I can remember - checking the route again for my turn to Walkinstown. The Templeouge Road into Milltown is a lovely stretch - I had forgotten just how nice some of the DCM Route is - its not all uphill!

The 2m drag at Clonskeagh prior to Roebuck was pretty ok - but I kept reminding myself that I was only 11-12 miles in at this stage and not 20-22 as I will be on race day. At this stage, Roebuck Hill is a very small bump along the route - hardly worth mentioning!

The run down Fosters Ave and over the flyover brought back some bad memories of cramping - the stretch past RDS towards Merrion Sq was great - I even got goosebumps as I come into Merrion Sq, thinking about the atmosphere on race day.

I still had a few miles to go - so taking in the 1st few miles of the route - The foot traffic around town was a bit mad, pace dropped a bit but made my way along the route - more foot traffic around St Patricks but manageable.

The harder part was now going up through Stoneybatter - its a tough drag, along the NCR and into the park, past Garda HQ and discovered I still had a few mins left as I past where the car was parked - went up Chesterfield and turned back into the Polo grounds to finalise the 2hrs 30mins (21 miles).

I had taken 2 gels during the run - I at 7-8 miles and another at 13 miles. I had some water in a 'soft flask' that fit nicely in a pocket on the under shorts.

Ave pace was 7.13/mile - for the most part it felt pretty comfortable - but on the day, I have over 5 more miles and 45 seconds faster per mile!

21m/7.13 pace

Just under 70 miles for the week. - One of my best weeks of Marathon training I'd say.

Monday 19th: Was very tired today - partially the run on Sunday, partially the pints on Sunday night.

Went out for a recovery run after work - 4 miles / 8.15 pace.

Tuesday 20th: 6x3mins/ 6x30 secs / 4x10 secs

I had little motivation for this on Tuesday - I think I had built up my Sunday run last week a bit much - doing the DCM route etc - my body was telling me to chill! I ignored it and drove to the PP anyway!

2m Warm up to CK Gates and set off.

Plan for the 3 min reps was for 5:55-6:00 - with 1min Steady Recovery.

Probably averaged just under 6's for the reps and tried to get the recoveries around 7.30's

The 6x30secs is always grand -5.30-5.40 pace with another 1min steady recovery - finally the 4x10sec all out sprints.

Nice session - felt better after it than before.

8.2m / (7.10 ave)

Wednesday 21st: 5 miles easy. 8.11 pace

Thursday 22nd: Due to a big run I have planned on Sunday - the session was a light one today - 35mins steady + 5x200m

I was using wrist HR again - the tighter my watch - the better it looks - in this case though it looked too good and never got up to the target HR despite my pace being under 7's.

5.1miles around OS/Furze / 2m Loop North Road (7.00/6.42/6.41/6.46/6.52) and 5x200 strides on the Furze Road.

6.4m / 6.53 pace.

So I've a big run on Sunday (40km) - doing it on the DCM route at a steady pace, so I'm carb loading from Thursday.

Jesus - Carb Loading could be an Olympic Sport in itself.

Talk us through your carb loading routine. It's something I struggle with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Solid block of training. Can I ask what your Marathon goal time is. I’d guess by your HM PB , 2.52-2.54?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Enjoyed reading your long run update and describing the Dublin route. I only ever get to do it on marathon day.

@Murph_D if you are struggling a little with carb loading I find rice cakes with jam are a great snack that add carbs during the day. I like the caramel ones from Aldi and Lidl and sometimes slice a banana onto them too with a bit of honey if I really need to make up carbs!

Nice one, I do like rice cakes and can eat them by the dozen. Especially with chocolate on them (haven't seen the caramel ones, they must be Aldi only!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Aldi and Lidl both do them. They are quite sweet but I love them … even better with Biscoff spread (or the Aldi version) on them!

Advertisement