Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Best day of the month so far with just a few dips. 85% self use with the new batteries, zappi and eddi making the most of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭DC999

Yeah, we save more with our new EV on petrol than on electrity saving from solar. Still delighted we could fund both.

Got EV maybe 4 months ago and solar about 1.5 months ago. And up to this a lot of the juice to the car has been free from the solar. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

31kWh yesterday, the peak production day for us (first week!). 8kWp all SSE facing.

Pretty happy, 3*loads of washing and drying all done on the excess as well as water heated and 20kWh of battery storage filled to ~90%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Batteries full, Eddi maxed and I say the export is when there is not the minimum 1.4kW to start the Zappi so losing it to the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah, if you are so inclined you can amend the 100% surplus requirement for Eco+ to say 80% to avoid exporting (but in the knowledge that 20% will be imported if PV dips below 1.4kW at any stage).

Eco+ is rarely 100% in any case as there is a default 30seconds where it will provide the minimum 1.4kW to the EV (e.g. heavy cloud passing or boiling the kettle).

I don't like the 30seconds, I think it is too short and changed it to 2mintes to avoid excessive wear and tear on EV contactors opening/closing (depends on EV model)...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Day started out atrocious. Was expecting a single digit return. Returned 16.5 in the end

6.5kw South Facing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

10.4 from a 4.4 KwP system. Not the best day, but sure tis better than nothing

only 10.5 yesterday, bad day, we had a lot of cloud cover during my peak generation time. As our system is SSE facing, if there's cloud cover for a few hours in the morning it really hurts the day

As a comparison, I've 4.9kWp and got 7.5 kWh yesterday (cloudy day in Dublin). That's split across 50% SE, rest is SW + NW. That's all the small roof space we have used up. But advantage is we get a better span across the day, so clouds at a point in time don't hammer me. Though I get much less output than a closer to S setup. Highest we've hit to date is 24kWH during the blue sky days in August (wasn't live before that).

Tbh, I'm fairly happy whatever it produces. It's all free juice :)

• Advertisement

@DC999 Yes the aim is to cover all angles, and my current SSE 8kWp array is just step one and I knew until I added more there would be production gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm running on a daily average of 18.5kWh which is way above expectation.

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

I'm up and running nearly a week, 4.6kW system split 50/50 E/W split in Dublin, 5kW battery

Figures so far

15/9 generated 10.3kW, consumption 15.3kW imported 6kW (39%)

16/9 14.1kW, 13.1kW, 4kW (31%)

17/9 13.9kW, 11.9kW, 1kW (8%)

18/9 15.4kW, 12.4kW, 1kW (8%)

19/9 7.1kW, 14.1kW, 5kW (35%)

Happy with this, and it's trying to time when to use washing machine/DW/Dryer etc when solar or battery full, as we have exported 18kW so far, and we are out a lot at the weekend so using slow cooker, and appliances at that time, but it's all a learning curve.

Well done on week1!

You're setup is very close to mine. We're live 2 months now so go easy on yourself (he says to himself) 😊 It's a long game and you'll be all over the shop at the start. Great news is you can now see when you use juice, and how much. Then you can start to tweak stuff. And battery helps smooth it all.

Assuming you don’t have a backwards spinning meter (in which case it gives you time to learn your usage), for now a good starting point is use 1 device at a time (without killing yourself). So dishwasher, washing machine…. Most have a timer on them. If not, set an alarm on your phone of Alexa to remind you each day – good enough for now.

Or if / when you get time, get some smart plugs so you can schedule the dishwasher, washing machine.. so they can run during the day. That’s assuming your machines ‘hold’ their setting when the smart plug powers on, ours do. Others here said they don’t. They use ~2kW when heating the water and drop to few hundred watts outside that, or lower at times. For now, just stagger them so they don't both run at same time. They will roughly use 1-2kWh depending on the heat used / settings you pick. Pick a time when the house is quiet as more chance to use the solar. We use more power once kids are home from school.

On your under 5kWp E/W split you’re not gonna get a sustained 2kW (to run the peak load of those machines) at this time of the year.

Timing options:

If there is juice in the battery, start the 1st load once the sun is hitting the E (not 1st thing when low in sky and output is poor) and the morning / breakfast stuff is out of the way. Means you can use the battery early and give it time to fill again later. Or do one in morning and one in afternoon so battery gets recharged. Or better yet, schedule the dishwasher so it runs in the morning and heats the kitchen for when you’re up. Means it won’t be running on solar (at this time of the year), but could run from the battery. And it’s ‘free’ heating in the morning. Then schedule the washing machine.

Rinse, repeat, & suck and see what works. Will differ for every gaff of course. So take what’s above if works for you. Enjoy the journey. Hard part is done now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Thanks DCC999, it's all a learning game but knowing what uses what is great to change habits.

Our battery is nearly empty in the morning, so best to wait until midmorning before putting on an appliance, as of now I've generated 4.6, imported 3, put 4 into battery which is now holding 3 and used 4.6.

This is after power shower, washing machine, and working from home, so just need to tweak usage but that's part of the fun.

18.5 today. Happy again as its above consumption.

Since installation 2 weeks ago we have produced 45 more units than we consumed

6.5 kw South face

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

First full day of production following installation. 34.2kwh from an 8kwp system with a SE / S orientation.

Only managed 6kWh yesterday. Load shifting increasing from here on.

11.4kWh from a 4.4 kWp system today. sent 7.8 of that back to the grid.

12.9 today

6 5kw system south facing

• Advertisement

After 10, 6 and 8 in the previous 3 days, I got 21kWh today. Turning off load shifting again tonight.

The sooner Solis bring in the option to change the settings via the app the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Unfortunately I think that feature will only be available to S6 range of Solis inverters

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Remote configuation changes is already implemented for installers on S5 inverters. Solis just haven't rolled it out for us plebs yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

3.7kWh today in Dublin Fingal. Tomorrow looks decent so will hopefully get everything charged up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Nice one, thought I had read would be for S6 only but that's great news then if in pipeline for s5 inverters too

Looking at August and September, and making calculations on generation and export (taking into account 18 cent FIT from Energia), looks like I should have a net cost of €0!

Anyone else do similar calculations?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well unless your on a smart meter, you would be on a deemed FIT.. unless your using them calculations?

But it's meter read day for me too

I have a smart meter installed since 29/08.

But I am using a combination of old meter readings (which I would have done on a fairly regular basis) and the smart meter, along with what the myenergi app is telling me.

The imported kWh is way down on previous months, and same month previous years too. Add the FIT into the mix, and it's looking very good.

Combine that with the promised/expected energy credits in the forthcoming budget and its basically free electricity for the year.

• Advertisement

Pretty poor day yesterday.7kWh total. It was bucketing it down most of the day.

Have already beaten that 7kWh today by 11 am

Advertisement