Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

14.2 today. Happy with that. Again not a good day, very cloudy so return is good

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The peak output won't be more than what your getting, also thats just in kW not kWh,

It may lift the shading drops, but not the overall power.

Your in the club now so need to be knowing the lingo

kW : power

kWh : energy (how much power generated in an hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭micks_address

We did the artic in 2019 and we changed out our boiler and added controls etc in 2018.. attic insulation probably made biggest difference to house warmth.. solar is next.. I think installation in attic brought us from c1 to b3.. we have double glazed windows and the glass was replaced in last 10 years due to fogging etc but new windows and doors are on the 10 year plan.. house was built with hollow block.. few neighbors have gone for outside insulation but I can't seeing us going there

Going to take an absolute hammering today.

Dark dark skies today in Midlands

Getting at best 700w per hr

Will be lucky to get to 5kw today likely 4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Advertisement

6.5kw

Daily this month has been good. Have had an excess to date of 65 units in total since we started generating on the 6th. But today is going to be a repeat of Sunday the 11th

A rough forecast based on a paultry 2kw at midday I might get 5.5kw today 😔

Edit: Ended up with 5.7kw

Post edited by AckwelFoley on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Am I right to say that if you were to pay 50cent for kwh and you produced yesterday 5.5kwh, that would have cost you roughly 2.5eur?

Is the calculation as simple as that?

Just trying to figure out the savings.

Note: assuming that if you consumed all the energy produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭DC999

1. You won’t consume all your produce. Far from it. I’m only using 45% of what I produce (only live 2 months so I can tune a little, but not a wild amount). That’s without a battery and even with an EV that’s plugged in a lot during the day (so it soaks up a lot of excess). Means I’ve to buy 55% back at a higher price (than FIT gives me). While that sounds crap, I only pay the gap between my rate and FIT. So if rate is say 30c and FIT is 14c, I’m only pay 16c for a unit – get me? Those on the 8c night rate are actually making money from FIT (rate no longer available afaik). But for most of us, it reduces the cost of our units

Or to get that consumption higher, you are into debatable ROI (now that FIT is decent) to get a battery or hot water divertor.. IE soak up what you have. The bit  above seems easier for most!!

1. Yeah, cost for power used is kWh used by unit price. So would cost €1.50 if you used 5kWh and had a 30 cent tariff. Don't forget bills have standing charges, and the carbon levy, vat. But it’s only the units you can reduce if get solar. 

People will calculate it differently becaise of the tariffs they're on and the system they use, but I'm on an old old meter with the standard tarriff for the time being so I pay 30.5 cent per kw, so yes each kw produced and used during the day is 30.5 cent until October the first.

Some with batteries load shift, so excess produced during the day is stored.

It gets a bit more complicated because some, will have big batteries, charge them up at night in night rate and use that night rate during the day along with any solar they generate.

The simplest way is to look at your daily consumption, and when you use it, solar with no battery is particularly beneficial if you can use it during the day. Some will insist, now that electricity providers offer payment of up to 20cent per kw of excess back into the grid that you're better off with lots of panels and no battery.

I'm more in favour of a battery store a sufficient amount of what we generate to help spread the use of what's generated through the day and into the night.

There is no question, now particularly with the increasing procebper kw, that solar pv is worth investing in. Its not a luxury, its an investment. If you have money, you won't get the same return on investment in the bank

10 years should see return of investment in my case and I'd suggest most peoples

I am new in the pv solar world. I went live only yesterday and checked my app and it says i have produced 4kwh so far today. It has all been used as the excess is going to the eddi. I am not in a 50cent, but I may well be soon, and I was just wondering how much of a saving I am making with the panels. I know it isnt as simplistic as that but I just wanted to confirm that the Xcent x wph is the right cost of the electricity.

Thanks for your explanation.

Btw, I have a 4.1kw system south facing.

• Advertisement

Happy days! Congrats on the setup. Output is low for everyone at the moment weather wise. I got about the same output as you yesterday.

The inverter software will show you what it produced and what you self consumed, how much more you used than you produced.... Can look per day, week, month, year, lifetime.. So you can get the figures from that once you start to get used to the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

In a way yes, what you say is correct Galego. Your

<number of units> x <unit price> = €your savings

However, you need to be a little careful there with how you interpret things - this is more for yourself than anyone else. So, let's say you produced 4Kwh today and 1Kwhr went to the Eddi/hot water. You could count that as savings alright.

But let's say you were away on holliers, and naturally no one in the house to use any showers, so your panels still produce 4Kwhr and 1Kwhr goes to the Eddi, but with no one there to use it...... you wouldn't have turned on the immersion so it's not really "savings" as such. Savings are only applicable for when you would otherwise have imported electricity from the grid.

Yes what you said above makes a lot of sense. There are a lot more variables to consider.

A question I have and forgot to ask the electrician.

My excess is now going to the Eddi, it's taken 1.2kwh (according to the eddi app). If away on holidays (or whatever), is there a way to turn off the eddi and send the excess back to the grid?

I know you can do it manually, turning off the eddi (pressing the button), but wonder if it could be done remotely in the app/website?

If you hit the power button in the app you can turn it off (tap on the eddi)

The FIT rate for the kw sent to the grid while on holidays should be also considered?

Brilliant! Thanks.

Any idea how many kwh to heat a tank of approx 120ltr tank?

4kwh to your tank, would that not heat the water in Tank 2 as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

back to daily pv, surprising 31.2kWh today, surprising as very dull morning in the midlands and plenty of rain throughout the day, I just plugged in the car and forgot about it. 14.1 to EV, 10.4 to water, 5 to home and 1.7 to ye lot

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Plug in the details there, will give you an idea of power used in heating water.

As for tank 1 and tank 2, it's on a 500L tank with 2 immersions, the middle immersion is tank 1, bottom immersion is tank 2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Today is my first full day of PV generation, excited to post todays output. Currently at 9kwh (6kw panel system)

Today, if it stays the same here in the Midlands is going to be a good day.

Hard to get a nice constant graph like this.

Hopefully the arse doesn't fall out of it. If it stays like this should do 23-25kw today

• Advertisement

Second full day here for me.

1.8kwh @12.00 (4kw system south facing in Meath)

Not sure if that is very poor.....does it take a while for the inverter/system to settle down and report more accurate numbers?

On the solis app it's updated every 4 min or so.

Thanks. I meant if it takes few days for the whole system to settle in and start kicking in full efficiency.

I guess I will need to have it for a year to see how things work out. So far the best I've seen is 30% kwh vs installed capacity.

Yesterday I didn't get a sniff of 30%. But blue sky today albeit the end of Sept when the sun Is lower its working at 82% currently. But usually a few clouds will see an end to that.

Looking solid enough for the midlands still, pouring 7.6kW into the EV which is great as it was well run down by this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Niceday20

Lucky you ... clouded over in the west now with only 9kWh on 4.8kWp system so far today.

Don't sweat about low output on a new system. Says the fella who did that 2 months ago, refreshing and refreshing the app....:) It’s just the time of year. I’m on a 4.9kWp and got some 4kWh days this month. Lowest was 3 even. Aug was unreal with all the blue-sky days.

Nothing needs time to get started once it’s installed. What you’re seeing if the output available based on the day.

Have a look at the roof and once the sun hits it, you’ll see production ramp up (ok, the app is a few mins behind). Today in Dublin it’s cloudy and I’m sitting at 400w for a lot of the day. Days are shorted but wait until there is a day with clear sky with sun hitting the panels and you’ll see big numbers. Needs light, not to do with temperate.

In the app you might be able to drill into more info if there are 2 stings (to check both are roughly the same / pro rata if have a different number of panels to each other). If you’ve optimisers, you can see those panels individually. I’ve a few due to shading. Can’t see output per panels on a string otherwise.

Great 46.4 today, rapid tail off at 5 due to dark clouds coming in and neighbourhood shading due to low sun, car was the winner with 25.7, two washing machines done, the dishwasher and full tank of water. Unexpected given only a few days off October but I ain't refusing!

• Advertisement

You may have mentioned it.. remind me how many kw of panels you have?

Advertisement