Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People before Profit budget proposals

Options

Comments

I'm sure increasing corporation tax to 20% when companies are looking at reducing costs will be widely welcomed by industry. I suppose they could look at increasing income tax on the 300 euro dole payment when we are all unemployed to help fund all the other proposals. We spend a lot currently on health and welfare for the state of both systems are in, these areas need to be scrutinized by any future government and deliver more efficiently before throwing more money at the issue. A lot of our current issues are cause by a reactionary government instead of having a proactive one, hopefully the next election delivers one but our options appear to be limited to the existing crowd or parties that offer everything but have scary policies on generating the extra income.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Their proposals are tired, have all been tried and failed. Leave us €100k+ earners out of your domestic worries by the way, we don't owe you a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

25 Billion in new taxes... lol

Lunatics.

€350 for people with disabilities...absolutely fantastic.

We learned during COVID that 350 (at the time) was the living wage. No problem spending my taxes on that.

• Advertisement

Will you ever piss off, I earn over €100k and am happy to chip in.

Where do you think you get your wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The problem with this crowd is that they have zero intention of compromising their ideology by going into coalition with anyone. This therefore is a fantasy document.

I honestly thought they were a harmless bunch in the past. Sure, they had no interest in doing anything constructive but what the hell - it's all part of a healthy democracy right? I completely changed my tune this year though.

Their whole stance on the Russian invasion of Ukraine actually disgusted me. They're basically unable to escape the world view that anybody who opposes the USA can't be all that bad. This results in them giving speeches where they dispassionately pay lip service to condemning Russian atrocities before whole-heartedly rounding on the USA, NATO and the EU with gusto. Clare Daly and Mick Wallace get a lot of the attention for ending up trending on Russian social media with their rants but Richard Boyd Barrett isn't too far behind them.

I hope they all lose their seats in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Clueless.

It basically looks to rape every business in the country and hand it over to people who are to be paid 100 quid a week more to do nothing.

They reckon our entire public transport system can now run itself on vapor.

In fairness I could get my head around a nationalised energy system, if delivered properly it could work to everyone's benefit. The thing is that it wouldn't though and we all know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"The measures would be paid for by an increase in corporation tax to 20pc, four new tax bands for those earning €100,000 a year or more, a tax on commercial aviation, an increase in employers’ PRSI, and an increase capital gains tax, among other measures."

Would that really raise 25bn??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

This would include increasing all social welfare rates to a minimum of €300 per week and €350 for those with disabilities. 

with that, its a no go for me.

increase minimum wage, decrease SW for people who can actually work.

lets all be lazy, sher someone will pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

The biggest energy supplier in the State - the ESB - has always been a fully Nationalised company and they complain bigtime about that. Doesn't seem much of an exempler then for the other companies in the sector.

Must be, as Joe Duffy said (fatuously) when all his dreams came true and all the banks were nationalised, we want a POSITIVE nationalisation not a NEGATIVE nationalisation!!!

Those guys will never be happy until they control EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It all seems so easy.

Putin taught the same thing. There might be a bigger rush even.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Are you happy to give over 50/60/70% of your wage?

High earners already pay huge income taxes, its not as if they are not taxed enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Tell us you're financially illiterate without telling us you're financially illiterate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s really one long ad hominem attack. Why not counter their actual proposals with something else?

Some are good, but most are inflationary and not what’s needed right now

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Most taxpayers would have no problem paying 350 pw to people who are genuinely disabled.

However, this being Ireland, there are loads of people on DA who are not disabled.

I can think of three of them that I know.

(1) A relation - married woman, aged 60 approx, children all grown up and gone, had cancer in the past, decades ago, gets DA

(2) A friend - lovely fella, aged 60 approx, was on JSA long-term, told me he was delighted to get transferred to DA, as the labour activation measures would stop. He runs a public website, he cycles around the place, goes to the pub a lot, he's the type to reject 9-to-5 work. He rruns small nixers.

(3) A friend - this lad has mental health issues, fair enough, so maybe under some definition you could argue he is disabled. I agree that he is poorly employable. He can't meet deadlines.

I strongly reject charging me 52% marginal tax rate, or even more, to transfer funds out of my family, to people like these.

If you told me that each DA recipient was to be strictly vetted, and that the genuinely disabled would get paid more, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Communists making budget proposals, what a country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Taxing the working class to pay the unemployed isn't communism.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

PBP's efforts would destroy our efforts to decarbonise the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its criminal that we only give the diasbled 208 euro a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

it’s not just 208. It’s all the other perks also, free travel, medical card, housing assistance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Call them what every you want.

Don’t let that distract from the fact that they are also available and paid. It’s not just 208.

It’s hilarious that our corporation tax take is so high. And is keeping us afloat.

And the party behind this budget immediately moves to eat the goose laying the golden egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Yet, you're happy enough to have others, many paid less than you, pay 52% tax rate for your latest pay rise with nothing in return. Which you still feel is not enough.

On top of the other reliefs you'll benefit from as part of the cost of living Budget to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

What's stopping you chipping in now? You do realise you can volunteer to pay more tax. Just hand it on over.

Take one for the team mate, lead by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah it would. Once.

And the following year about 8 billion.

And the third year the economy would be circling the u-bend.

Absolute joke of a bunch. SF likewise, they want a package costed at just under 10 billion. Borrowed and stolen.

They should all get to f***.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What communists? Are you playing the “everyone I disagree with is a communist” card?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm playing that " A communist party like the SWP or whatever they're calling themsevles now are communists" card

It's a good card to play

Advertisement