Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ploughing 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I see reports that the traffic is a **** show again today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did everyone on the M7 go up as far as junction 14? Young lad went by train to portlaoise shuttle bus then to ploughing.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't know what way people went. I'm only surfing the interweb and seen a few people discussing it again today

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Straight in and straight out coming from Kilkenny side, no delays to be fair, as for the show itself twas poor enough machinery wise I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

115k people today, it seemed jammed yesterday at over 90k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Toilets, you are at a Ploughing Championship in rural Ireland, not in stupid lingo USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I went to 2 stands. MW plant hire just had engine generators and a northern crowd had pto and engine generators.

I'll definitely be going for a pto one

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

Cheers davidk, what is availability like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Went in at 11 out at 4.30..a dream traffic wise. Machinery very poor, livestock poor (don't go to see them anyway) and definitely some big name stands missing. I have heard it from many sources now the NPA trying to ride companies with stand prices.

Kids really enjoyed themselves.

Would it be a good idea to target say 11 tomorrow to avoid the rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Not if everyone else does the same.

Sure don’t you know how Irish people have to drive at 2mph when the slightest drop of rain falls, i predict traffic chaos tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Contrary to earlier post we’re going tomorrow no matter the weather. Bringing wet gear and boots.

disappointed to hear the cattle stands are down in numbers, always like them.

Be looking at slurry additives.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Rip off for food, drinks and the hurdy gurdys, Tenner a go for some rides!

I dont think its worth the hassle or the price anymore, like everything else its turned into an opportunity to extract as much cash from the punters as possible. Pity as it used to be a highlight of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

How much for the bord bia steak sandwich this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

3 hours from Longford, left house at 7.30, double what it should have taken...never had trouble like that before. Guards sent a load of us around this back country road to basically use as a holding area, if you get to a guarda junction and you see to 2 sets of ploughing arrows signs. One pointing one direction and one another and a scorpy guard, then you're doomed tomorrow.

Thought show was disappointing enough. Stall variety numbers was way down. Food stalls everywhere filling the voids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Traffic from M6 Tullamore turn-off was slow going all the way past the Tullamore ring road. Better to go back roads.

Always enjoy the ploughing, but it's losing a lot of the farming aspect of it, trade stands are generic companies more so now. Ploughing itself was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

Went today to the ploughing, traffic was great with no delays. I thought it was very poor, machinery well back and talking to a few lads in the game that were there, there will be less there next year with a few more going to pull out

livestock was very small, a part I used to really enjoy,

I don’t think I’ll bother with it next year, I think it’s a show that is on a down road spiral which is sad as it was once the highlight of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sounds very poor this year if reports are anything to go by. Usually go but not bothered this year. I find the way politicians, media and huge businesses have kind of taken over the Ploughing more than a little nauseating.

Im in my late 30s and can remember as a kid it being a very farmer oriented event. Now all the “city slickers” dominate it.

Not surprised to hear many big companies not bothered- work in Agricultural Related trade and there’s no way we’d bother- we have had the conversation and concluded money and time much better spent specifically targeting our own customers and their base. Cast a net too wide and you end up with a lot of tyre kickers!

I thought the day was good on Tuesday, mind you I had specific things to see. Didn't find the traffic much of an issue, crowd was manageable compared to other years, even found a good toilet.

In recent years there’s been WAY too many gangs of school teens (prob last 15 years) just there for the doss and tbh make it very uncomfortable for people that genuinely might want to do business. The cynic in me concludes this is to bunk up the ticket gate sales and food sales. I don’t see what else they add?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

For the first time in 24 times going to the Ploughing, I was disappointed with the whole event today.

Traffic wise coming from Limerick I was supposed to turn off at 17 according to all press and plan but the Video signs on road said to continue to 16, I did and it kept moving ok all the way to field. At 17 there was a massive queue on to motorway and not moving at all.

Was in around 10.30 am to a huge crowd on every row. Very uncomfortable. Just way too many, especially the bus loads of kids on the doss. Came across the oneills and aldi tent queues early on and i thought it was just the daftest sights ever, must have genuinely been 500-1000 easy waiting to get into the aldi tent and hundreds more kids at the other one.

And to think about what the state and taxpayer is paying the npa with every government dept or quango paying for prime real estate and massive tents in the prime locations centre of the site. The centre of the site with all this rubbish was probably one of the two quieter areas along with row 1, which was the last one i had to see as i came to it.

Hardly any cattle, salers, aubrac, AA x2 and Holstein. Really disappointing, it used be my favourite part, seeing the best of the best and each breed trying to sell their values. No AI companies either and this was usually the event where they would launch catalogue with next years offering.

Hardly any tractors really but a lot of irish machinery on display.

Tullamore is a much much better day in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

From what i have heard the bigger state tents, or perhaps better described as structures are costing anywhere from 250-500k between npa fees and structure hire plus personnel and their expenses costs, just madness.

Shameless politicians too, nothing new there i know! But how ambivalent and not interested in except to bash it they are towards farming for the other 362 days of the year just gets me.

Always enjoyed the car stands, is it true some of the big names are missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Seem steak sandwich for €15

I think i bumped into every single one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The cattle societies all were in tullamore, the prices for the ploughing has gone crazy and the cattle breeds pulled out and the Ai companies and machinery done the same, the cost for the sheep tent has doubled, our kids ag teacher didn’t send the class as too much cost and hardship. The ploughing is going to go backwards after this year with covid over and people experience the greed this year, Tullamore away better day for stock farmers and more chance to talk to people. Social media is an easier way to promote livestock and products.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Be alot less school kids at Tullamore too which would help things too

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭leoch

Me either tullamore a million times better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Had to go yesterday and man a stand/tent for the off-farm job.

Only had a quick walk-around but it’s not really a day out in my book. Maybe if going is a tradition in your house or you always go with a few lads. Other than that, it’s crammed with groups of teenagers, machinery salesmen in branded jackets, and politicians smirking at the fact there’s still some country people around

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement