Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ploughing 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

Traffic is very heavy. We are stuck in it outside Mountmellick going to be here for a while.

2hp plough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Went somewhat prepared. Packed a lunch for myself and the lads. Wasn’t going to be paying €70 for questionable quality food, not To mention the queues.

got caught with two very short funfair rides for the lads at €4 each. Was in the place for about 5 minutes in total including queuing and €24 spent. You wouldn’t mind paying it if there was even a few minutes spent there. The funfair was where the oh came in so couldn’t avoid it.

ground conditions were perfect and made the day. Didn’t get to cover much of it with the younger lads but it was still good.

we were lucky with the quality of toilets.

definitely a lot less cattle than usual.

the students I went up with had a great day. They’re well behaved anyway so no hassle. Had about 10 Spaniards from cities and it was a total new experience for them. They’re singing coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I left Clare at about 7 this morning and parked up by 9 or so. I kept going on the motorway at Portlaoise and exited at exit 16, just after Portlaoise sign posted for Carlow/R445. Took a left, then another left. Hit some traffic then alright.

Same old crack, the usual Del Boy types, complete with English accent, selling non-stick frying pans - you couldn't make it up.😀. Very little cattle, only Angus and Saler from what I saw. Still loads of the smaller machinery types there. McHale and Malone had tedders and mowers there. Kids queueing to buy McHale merchandise. They are some operation, to be fair.

Great to see the cattle sheds packed with young people taking photos of the cattle. Got to see Marty Morrissey, Simon Coveney and Farmer Phil's tractor complete with treble mowers.

Weather great, no muck. You could do worst for the day.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Same thoughts here, thought the cattle on show was definitely tiny in comparison to years pre COVID. Many of the main continental breads were non existent, and no Herefords either unless I missed them, a disappointment to say the least as it's one of the main reasons I go is to see the best stock in the country.

Glad I was in early and had got though a fair bit of stuff I wanted to see as it got very busy around 12 and was slow going getting around from them on.

It was well laid out with similar items in the same areas. Was looking for either a headgate to upgrade a bad crush I have or a mobile crush, and there was I'd say easily 8 supplers with 20mins of each other. It's a great way to get a hands on feel for what they have in a very short space of time if your in the market for stuff it's definitely worth the trip.

All in all a good day, walked around in a pair of boots and a t shirt all day, sure what more could you ask for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

If you want to see livestock a show like Tullamore is the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I heard they were asking the Limousin society (I think that's the name) for 50k for the stand. No wonder they don't turn up then having to pay that plus all the rest it would cost

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

There was an unreal crowd at it today, never seen it as busy before.

thought the queues for the bathrooms were a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

We got parked in the green car park at around 8:20am, tickets bought and inside for 8:30am, and I was actually shocked at how busy it was at that time. I was as the ploughing in Tullamore for the 3 years at roughly the same time, and it wasn't nearly as busy. I was there with my dad, we had to make a stop off at herd watch and grant boilers, got those out of the way before the crowds started to really ger big. We just spent the day looking around and tyre kicking at machines we could only dream of buying, or actually needing! We were back in the car before 3 and flew out of the car park. I

Enjoyed the day, although some big brands were missing, no stands from MF, John Deere, Case or Claas. It was nice to see Farmer Phil's 6499, its a beast with the triple mowers on. The 3 tractors at the lucky day stand (110-90, IH 1455, Ford 7810) looked in almost showroom condition, although I wonder what they are like mechanically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Out of curiosity how is a breed society supposed to generate that kind of income in a year, membership subs aside?

Looked closely at the 7810, there were a few things needed to bring it up to showroom condition, eg fanbelt guard, although I wouldn't complain if I won!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

RTE news reported a crowd of 91k there today. Quite a number of the bigger machinery outfits not attending due to cost, i.e. shipping in equipment from UK and paying people for the 3 days to man the stand. I'd say they'll focus more on targeted machinery shows, e.g. Punchestown or Grass and Muck, any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Great to see so many people enjoying it. Despite starting this thread I ended up not attending, nor will be for the next 2 days. I had hoped to attend in a work capacity but unfortunately the powers that be decided to reduce our overtime, despite the rising costs in absolutely everything. Much to the disgust of my daughter who is expecting a jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 international xl

No esb show no Stihl show no land rover show no Jcb show Mx loaders Honda vw cars all missing look there is a lot less demos every year I go for two days as it’s nice to see what’s going on and and gain knowledge but had it all walked by two gone felt it was been propped by a lot of state bodies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Definitely less stuff to look at but still a good day out.met the whole country there but despite that I felt that the price hikes by the npa quietened the potential of it.alot of crowds missing aldi the only retailer with a big presence,didn't t see ndc there either.well organised traffic-abbeyleix the only pinch point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

A lot of em have full order books anyway I'd say, esp with the way supply's of materials are still tight so no need to look for custom there either. Price the ploughing charge is pushing companies out as well esp when vast majority aren't there to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

all of ye getting up at 4 in the morning. Normally I rock up at noon after getting a few jobs done and fly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭cjpm

Do ye get a half price ticket from the McHughes so?!?! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I went in yesterday. Left home at 8am, parked in the blue car park 9.45 had tea and a sandwich and was in by 10.15. The bits I was interested in was a generator and a look at a few modular homes. The one thing I always liked about the ploughing was bumping into people you'd know but you wouldn't usually see. Left the stands at 7.30 yesterday evening and tipped home.

No lol, in around 11 leave around 6. Same difference as the others in at 8 and away at 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭DBK1

By far the most stress free way of doing it.

The funny part is when you ask lads sitting in traffic since 6.30am why they went so early they’ll tell you it’s to beat the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Ah you're missing the pageantry of it that way though. Ploughing day for me was always up at 5.30am, hitting off in the pitch dark wondering how many cars would already be on the road. Arriving into the site as the Sun is rising. Few sandwiches and into the site for a coffee at the first place that's open. Then get to have a good look around the site while it's half empty. Now that's Ploughing day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got there at 10 and left at 4. Met up with some friends.

Didn't think there was much to look at. Lots of tents selling overpriced tat.

Any queues for freebies were a mile long.

We got a few hi viz vests.

Son got to talk to the army and gardai so was happy.

Food prices were OK until I got s coffee and jam donut. Nearly chocked when told the donut was 4e. Coffee 3.50.

We went over to the ploughing at 3 to find it all over bar the judging.

Wouldn't bother with it again. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We had to go after talking to you and we did remark that it was easier to get around but we're organising the lamb group this week so had to go then. Guys would be booking in lambs from then on.

We got caught with the tullamore traffic at geashill going home and took us 20mins to do a mile so lads would be better to turn on the sat nav at Geashill and head cross country to Tyrrelspass if heading for the M6 or Mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Its really more to avoid the traffic on the way out of the car parks I'd be more bothered with. Get in early, get out early.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It's as much to avoid traffic on journey as anything now the 430 or 5 o clock starts are for.i tend to leave at that time if I m going anywhere up the country.dont forget its nearly 2 hours for us to get out of cork County.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭davidk1394

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

Do you mind me asking how you got on with the generators?

Advertisement