Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

It was a smidge of a leap of faith for me tbh, but when you get to checkout it does say fixed.

This whole thing is weird to a degree. It's a singular plan with a single supplier, totally off market and the supplier themselves doesn't seem to want to advertise it. And their staff don't seem to understand either.

As mentioned before, I was told on phone that electricity was fixed, but not gas. Fast forward to today when I get my schedule of rates and the wording around the gas rate is identical to electricity rate. Go figure, and only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭John arse

Just got my final and closing bill from bg-no early exit €50 fee on it???

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Yes, saw the same at checkout too. Thanks for confirming!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

Changed to Energia on Sept 1st, at the night rate 8.58c incl VAT.

Got confirmation letter a few days ago. (Had already received by email Sept 7th.)

Registered today for online energy. (To avail of max discounts).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

• Advertisement

Just hope nobody rings up and mentions it???😓😓😓

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I changed on 28 Aug, got the confirmation email straight away but got no followup or account details.

Rang them today, they have no record of it! 🤬

After a bit of over and back with them on the rates applicable on the 28th they agreed to sign me up at that rate available on the date (31% discount... 27.43/7.90 inc vat) and they confirmed its a fixed rate for the 12 months.... result! 🤗

My switch date is now also beyond my existing contract so I get no break fee so that's another €50 I dont have to pay... double result!

I had asked them to email the contract to me a few days after switching, once I learned from here that it can take up to 2 weeks for letter to arrive.

But all has ended well for you in the end, even better than I got, but to be fair I got the price of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭fafy

Signed up on September 5th, Got my letter today all is in order:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Excellent. You got in after the first price increase recently but before the bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We bought a house recently with a smart meter already installed, is it free for me to change to a day/night meter?

Presume not, but said I'd ask

Should be free to swap if you want to signup to a day/night tariff. Just talk to your electricity provider and request it. They wont be long telling you, but it should be free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭fafy

My understanding is, your 1st request only, for a meter change, is free. A 2nd or subsequent meter request change, is chargeable to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Same here got letter today hoping electric ireland dont shaft me for the 50 euro only had a few weeks left on contract with them

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was charged the fifty euro with SSE even though I just had two weeks left on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Liam2021

I had only been with EI for a month and never got charged the 50 euro

I can't get in contact with SSE, 3 days trying, not possible, I bet people are cancelling like mad.

I wonder if I just sign up with Energia ? already 9.4 cent but better than the 21 or 22 SSE will charge from 1st October, but because I'm in contract they'll probably not be able to sign me up.

The day rate is 33 cent and so too will SSE, imagine next year it could be 50 cent a Kwh ? Christ.

But the good news is the other site I work on are putting in charge points, probably in the next couple of months, either way it will make a massive difference.

VW are enable bie-directional charging too I believe with 3.0 so if that happens and my id3 supports it ? I could charge up in work and power the house when at home. But knowing my luck my id3 won't support it. I'd have to replace the EVSE too which would probably cost a fair bit.

A few years ago I clicked the switch button 24hrs earlier than my contract was finishing and they charged me the €50 early termination! I can't remember which company it was now but they did refund it to me once I complained. Their billing system presumably has it automated in rather than someone being spiteful about it.

• Advertisement

You can change whenever you wish, you will just have to pay the early termination fee. So, signup with whoever you like and they will manage the rest for you. No need to call your current provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I was charged the €50 penalty by EI. Still worth it to get fixed rates from Energia!

Yeah cheers, just found that out when I contacted them on web chat finally, should have done it weeks ago but to be honest was still receiving the free credit from VW, so last month we paid 50 Euro's which is all we paid for electricity for 2022, that's not bad going due to having a lot of free work charging too.

Is there a company that would install a battery so we could charge it at night and use it to power the house during the day ?

I'd want a decent battery but the issue is that I don't want it going out on the grid.

A decent battery with bms, charge controller and inverter would do this for you.

Sure but are there companies that will install this without PV install ?

Battery has to have decent power density though, if it can't pull more than 1 Kw it's not really good.

However, as I mentioned on the id3 and renewables thread, VW are supposed to enable V2G on all ( 77 Kwh only ) id cars but when is another matter, those built from December 21 are V2G Ready with software update, those built before can be easily made work with V2G seemingly.

The idea is to use the taxpayer subsidised electricity at the data centres where I work to power the house when at home without any going to the grid or if a FIT or whatever is offered I could potentially export some. I need 15-20% battery to get to work and the same on the return so say 40% total max depending on the site I'm on this leaves me with 60% battery ( or 50% to leave some spare ) to use as I choose. Average daily house consumption is 17.5 Kwh.

Another option is a battery for the house and charge it off the car when at home and then it can supply most of the house Kwh during the day.

The other site I work on are getting proper charge points installed so hopefully they allow me use them, can't see why they wouldn't considering they pay half nothing for electricity.

If you have a few batteries and an inverter you can pull a lot more than 1kW.

I'm not sure the financials would work out due to losses in the inverter and batteries you'd really be paying night rate + 30%. Would you not just get some solar in too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone have date/times for the Energia rates and when they increased?

Which plan? Are you referring to the EV plan? That has had at least 3 price increases since 28 Aug.

The EV plan had a 31% disc upto 1 Sep, which equated to 27.43/7.90

On 1 Sep that discount was then changed to, I think, 27%(29.82/8.59) and now 15% (33.8/9.73) which happened around 12 Sep.

The only rate you can signup to though is the one currently available, so why do you want to know the dates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

I went to sign up last week and the website froze on me, going to see if they will do anything about that.

Advertisement