Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I hope you told him you're omnipotent and the next time he's behind a cyclist he should think WWCD (What would cletus do?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hopefully it's a good thing. A friend of mine said they were conscious of passing cyclists when driving to work because of all the issues I had on the bike, used to have GoPro footage of my commutes which really showed him how sketchy things can be from my point of view.

Unfortunately most people don't know or don't care. I always glance at the rear view when I pass a cyclist to see how others pass, they rarely get more than an inch over the line when moving over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cycling in from Parkgate St towards the quays this morning at 06:30 and at Wolftone Quay (here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.347412,-6.2902263,3a,75y,105.12h,72.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-16pGzQtZgjZ8FaUTsX2Sg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192) using the narrow and poorly surfaced dedicated cycle lane there was a cyclist in front of me so had reduced speed. Silver Prius left hooked us and cyclist in front nearly went over the handlebars with rear wheel off the road trying to brake in time. I’m covered in high vis with two rear lights and a strong front light used to light dark country roads so he saw us but proceeded anyway so I let a shout and he stopped after he’d completed his turn. He then got out of his car to defend his decision and was adamant he had right of way and that cyclists had to yield to him and for some reason he kept pointing at the sign above which is No Left Turn from 07:00 – 10:00, Mon – Sat. Calmer than I’d usually be since it wasn’t too much of a close pass for me and it’s a section I’d always be weary off I just said if you’re that stupid you can plead your case with the guards which he was very willing to do. Will log a call with traffic watch later with the details and his registration since it’s something he’ll do again with his might is right ruling.

In the UK he would be a typical candidate for A Driver’s Awareness course but here nothing will happen since he didn’t kill anyone. Hopefully the guard can at least advise him as there was no point in me arguing with him this morning so I continued on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I had a very close call today which was both a near miss and a fall. I was left hooked from behind while doing about 30kmph. I had to go with the vehicle to avoid crashing into it. Falling was unavoidable.

I landed on my shoulder and elbow mainly and slid on rough road. No fractures but lots of road rash on forearm and calf plus bruises and a sore neck. I am sore but better off than an impact. I was checked over by ambulance service. I may need to get a scan on my neck. Shorts. Jersey torn.

Though I fell, I guess it's a near miss through my own quick reactions., I avoided the impact collission. Not that this makes it in anyway a good outcome, just better than it may otherwise have been. Fate is dictated by split seconds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hopefully there won't be any injuries or pains that surface later. Is your bike ok?

At a minimum, get the driver to cover any medical costs and costs to replace your clothing

They don't make it easy, rang Traffic Watch this morning and logged above but they called back some time later asking me to call Bridewell Garda station also. I tried that a number of times and was on endless hold once I got through the switchboard operator.

Bridewell have an Email this Garda Station option on their website so filled out the online form with the details so hopefully someone eventually sees it and responds. They do advise "The email account is monitored periodically during standard business hours." If the email is viewed and acted upon it would be a useful means of reporting incidents, everything in writing and saves trying to get someone on the phone or worse in person for them to write everything down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some cretin squeezed past me in drumcondra just before fagans. Then pointed to the cycle lane without a hint of irony given he'd been on my arse in the bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks. I think it's all grazes, bumps etc. Lucky. I will be stiff and sore but hopefully that's it. I have driver details. They were deeply apologetic and said they would pay my bills and repairs. They accept was a massive error of judgement/poor driving. I think it is taken as very good lesson in what not to do. If this saves a more serious incident, what more can you dom. 5 seconds to wait is ultimately better a serious impact with a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭standardg60

Heading up Ballinascorney hill a couple of years ago a deer leapt off the bank high above me on the left and ran across the road literally five feet in front of me, got such a fright i stopped, which was just as well as it was quickly followed by two more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a vaguely similar situation myself with a deer on the khyber road in the phoenix park, in the dark, over 20 years ago. my memory of it is not much more than a vague shadow (probably of antlers) and skittering noise of hooves on tarmac a couple of metres in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did TW have any particular reason for telling you to ring the station also?

No, I suspect she couldn't get through to them either as when I asked if there was anyone in particular she was speaking with in Bridewell she just said no and who ever actually answers the phone.

Only previous incident TW asked me make direct contact with the relevant station was involving road rage with a taxi driver where he got out of his car in heavy traffic and grabbed my elbow. That involved two trips to Store St station to give a written statement and then it was subsequently forwarded to Pearse St station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Yes people do cut off from the right, a lot. The cyclist was a bit heedless of road marking (yes, road marking are applicable to all vehicles using the road and so going to the middle lane has been okay so far), but taxis and vans do use filter lanes to get ahead of those they think are slowcoaches, and people just have to watch out for those. That said, bicycles are small and the bigger vehicle have a superior right of way seems way too common. That said in the last two potential close calls, the car about to turn left (wide single carriage road) slowed so I could move ahead - in those two cases my road position wasn't ideal, that is, not moving a bit to the centre going straight ahead at a junction. That was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Got absolutely clattered today!

Heading down the canal path to the Leeson St bridge. Nearly slowed to a stop and was moving in towards the wall there to allow all sorts of traffic coming onto the path from the bridge crossing to die down before I could move out to the ped crossing.

First off - a scooter just missed me - then was face-to-face a cyclist doing some rapid speed and went head-first into me. 2 of us ended up in a hape on the ground.

He said he had lost his brakes or had missed the lever, but I was more surprised about how much speed he was able to carry into that bottleneck turn. Was stunned for a few secs and was more concerned for both our welfares before picking ourselves up. After stalling to gather myself, he was gone before I realised that he had done a job on my front wheel (bit wonky now) and left me with a souvenir impression of his chainring on my wrist 😤

I headed out this afternoon for a few hours around North Kildare. Dunno what it was but a fair few drivers close passed me in the ~70kms. One overtake however, took the biscuit - the driver of a blue double decker passed me close to Sallins between Millicent Rd and the Liffey bridge. I'd say there was between 30 and 50cms space between us. I don't think there was oncoming traffic and visibility was good despite a bit of rain a few minutes before - I can't believe that it wasn't deliberate.

I really need to use my cameras on my good bike. However, I've emailed them for camera footage but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's possibly the most dangerous pinch point on the busiest cycle lane in the city, with the lock gate squeezing traffic basically into single file.

Which raises the question of why DCC gave planning permission for the dentists to open a new pedestrian exit right onto the pinch point a few years back.

Just back from a club spin with about a dozen of us in the group (doubled up).

I honestly lost count of the number of drivers that overtook us approaching a blind bend or with oncoming traffic.

There must be a lot of really important events taking place today!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Got punish passed by a taxi driver on the malahide road on my way out for a spin, was within cm of clipping my bars.

He got about 100m up the road before he was stuck in traffic, so I rolled up to the window and just calmly said there was absolutely no need for it, to which I got a response of “there was a car beside me what dya expect me to do”.

Said all he had to do was hang back for a couple seconds and not squeeze me, which seemed to bewilder him, and he just kept repeating “I was just driving down the road” over and over again as he pulled off.

It’s almost not worth the hassle engaging but the shock on their faces every time that you have the gall to pull them up on it is always worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Heading into Finglas village a guy skimmed, he didn't see me for sure. When I knocked on his car as he passed he accelerated and pulled in to stop me, I explained he was too close to pass me and he said I should have indicated as I passed a parked car, there wasn't a parked car. he then said I should have some f******g respect and not to touch his (141) car...Ruined the spin for me. W****r

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Not a close pass but heading up man-o-war hill today out near lusk. Quite a few times I'm on that hill I get passed by a lad in a VW Golf absolutely belting it up or down the hill. I expect to see him in a ditch up there some day.

Never had an issue with him bar the insane speed, which is worrying enough to witness.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

Nah, that one's on you. Totally avoidable, you were still behind them when they started to indicate (about 100ft from the junction) and you still chose to overtake on the inside as they slowed to make the turn. Poor awareness on your part.

The Rules of the Road say otherwise:

Signalling does not give you the right of way.

Page 53

When turning left, all drivers, especially drivers of heavy goods vehicles, must watch out for cyclists and motorcyclists going ahead or turning.

On left turns, watch out for cyclists and mopeds close to the kerb in front of you or coming up on your left. Do not overtake a cyclist as you approach a junction if you are turning left, as the cyclist might be continuing straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd have hung back too, at least it puts you in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

I'd agree with you if they had overtaken you in an attempt to make the turn, but they didn't as far as the video shows.

Road Traffic Act states that you shall not overtake if to do so would endanger or cause inconvenience to any other person, which it could be argued you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd be hanging back there too - In fairness to the Driver, the indicator was on nice and early (obviously they still should've made sure there was no cyclist mind you)

If anything, I'd be asking the council to put a yield line there for Cyclists tbh to allow for cars turning

Can definitely see accidents happening there and it being messy in regard to liability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

You were in the right in IMO . If that car was turning right and another car was approaching on the right lane, they would not turn as the approaching car would more than likely crash into them and do damage. Just because you're on a bike and he can mow you down doesn't mean he should turn left. Looks like you were clipping along nicely too so why should you have to stop because he is impatient. You have right of way and you're at his car when he is turning. He should wait to turn into your lane when its safe to do so.

• Advertisement

I was not overtaking, I continued straight in my lane, they are the one making a manoeuvre to leave their lane and pulled on on me. Once we both stopped I continued in my lane.

Advertisement