Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Cycling Legislation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Overtaking on the left:
    (5) (b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print

Parking in cycle lanes

SI 332/2012:
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5 a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose, referred to in sub-article (2).

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

(m) in a cycle track where traffic sign number RUS 009, RUS 058 or RUS 059 is provided, or

Those signs are respectively, cycle track, shared path/cycle track and contra-flow cycle track. So no parking in those tracks.

Article 5 (of 274/1998) makes an exception though:
    (5) A prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36 (2) (m) shall not apply to a vehicle parked in a cycle track, on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 023 has been provided, while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of such parking.

RRM 023 is the dashed line marking for a non-mandatory lane. (RRM 022 is the solid line marking for a mandatory lane.)

So, if a cycle track has a sign, you're not allowed park in it - no distinction between mandatory and non-mandatory, what matters if there's round blue sign (RUS 009, RUS 058) or a contra-flow sign (RUS 059).

However, if the cycle track is marked with non-mandatory line markings (RRM 023), that restriction doesn't apply to parking while loading/unloading for up to thirty minutes. I can't see a restriction on the type of vehicle.

Is a cycle track a traffic lane?

Things you shouldn’t do with regards to traffic in another traffic lane…

S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997

8 (8) A driver shall not drive from one traffic lane to another without yielding the right of way to traffic in that other lane.

Also, you can overtake on the left if you’re in a separate traffic lane (same SI):

10 (5) (c) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

(Does this mean that for decades cyclists who overtook on the left were breaking the law? Overtaking on the left was legalised for cyclists - except for certain situations - in 332/2012.)

So what’s a cycle track?

S.I. No. 332/2012 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012.

14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by—

(a) traffic sign number RUS 009 (with-flow cycle track) provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM 023 (broken white line) which latter signs may be marked on the right hand edge of the cycle track or on the right hand and left hand edges of the cycle track,

(b) traffic sign number RUS 059 (contra-flow cycle track) provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) which may be marked on the right hand edge of the cycle track or on the left hand edge of the cycle track or on both sides, or

(c) traffic sign number RUS 058 (shared track for pedal cycles and pedestrians).

So what’s a traffic lane?

S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964.

12.—(1) An authorised broken white line on a roadway shall indicate the boundary of a traffic lane.

S.I. No. 181/1997 - Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations, 1997.

12. (1) Traffic sign number RRM 003 shall—

(a) indicate the boundary of a traffic lane, and

(b) consist of a broken white line, consisting of segments approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide, 2 metres long and 2 metres apart (or 100 millimetres wide, 4 metres long and 8 metres apart on a motorway).

Backed up by S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997

27. (1) Traffic sign number [RRM 003] [broken white line], shall indicate the boundary of a traffic lane.

So a traffic lane is marked by RRM 003, but a cycle track is marked by RRM 023. So a cycle track - even segregated - is arguably not a traffic lane in the eyes of the law. Therefore, a driver does not have to specifically yield right of way to cyclists on a cycle track under these laws.

There is a large catch-all that stops drivers from just running over cyclists of course

Road Traffic Act, 1961

52.—(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can I ask about junctions like this one (Rathfarnham Road / Dodder Park Road) where there are dedicated cycle lights, marked with a blue arrow in the photo.

There are to the side of the junction, but there is no clearly marked cycle lane at that side.

Most people are treating the green cycle light phase as the time for cyclists to pass through from anywhere at the junction, including the position of the three cyclists in front of me in the photo.

In fairness, it doesn't seem to cause any particular problems. I've seen one cyclist being a bit inconsiderate of a pedestrian one morning, but nothing major.

Am I right in thinking that law would require those three cyclists to wait for the 'normal' green light and not take the green cycle light at the side?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only light to govern those three is the one in front and centrenof the pic currently showing red.

The one you are pointing to is for the cycle path, which those three are not on.

Edit: the ground at that junction looks to have been completed and yet I'm seeing street furniture and poles making the junction pretty much unusable to anyone commuting at a reasonable pace - so I'm guessing these cyclists will continue to use the road. However, the introduction of traffic lights for cyclists will simply add a layer of confusion to the junction and potentially make the junction dangerous for them as they make assumptions when crossing

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I hadn't used it for a good while until recently, but the bike lights at Fosters Avenue ceed an awful amount of time compared to the road sequence. I had wondered on their legal status, given the cycle lane is only separated by wands rather than being grade separated. fwiw I've been taking the road and maintaining the same priority as the vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Tbh when I commuted that route daily 6+ years ago, a good number of cyclists queuing from where pic is taken would wait until the pedestrian light (which seems to be a bike one indicated in the pic now) and free for all across that junction in all 3 possible directions. So I don't think the new layout and lights will change that!

In fairness I assume anyone going straight through or right will continue to use the road because it's non-sensical to continue around the curve to the left, press button, wait for a light to cross 2 lanes, turn right, go 3 meters, wait for another sequence of lights to then go left (up the hill) or straight (along the dodder)...

I suspect that you’re right, though the absence of any clearly marked route for cyclists makes it a bit confusing.

Does anyone know the particular legislation around this? How does the legislation assess whether you are cycling in an unmarked cycle lane?

Looks like road markings still outstanding?

It is as basic as you are not permitted to pass the red light. I take it that there is also a thick "stop" line between you (taking the photo) and the lad with the orange jacket.

• Advertisement

So how do you legally use the green cycle light?

I'm guessing that you'd need to be on the cycle path/footpath rather than the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

The traffic light highlighted by the blue arrow in the photo would seem to cover crossing the road perpendicular to the road you are on. It doesn't look to have any control re. cyclists in the position you were in. They would be controlled by the light at the entrance to the junction, in line with the (presumably) stop line just at your front wheel.

It looks like there are ongoing roadworks, with the plan being to bring the cycle lane around to the left. I'd imagine, once this is in place, anyone who follows the lane to the left and then wants to cross at that crossing, will be governed by the green cycle light that you highlighted.

Why anyone would choose to do this rather than take the lane and go straight through the junction with the rest of the traffic, I'm not sure. I do know a lot of bike lanes are designed like this, including one close to my place of work.

But how do you get to that cycle path, without either breaking the red light or cycling on the footpath?

I've no idea but presumably, like much of our cycling infrastructure, it hasn't been thought through properly for those it is intended for. However, as @Grassey's image shows, it is a good bit away from being completed.

It looks like there are ongoing roadworks, with the plan being to bring the cycle lane around to the left. I'd imagine, once this is in place, anyone who follows the lane to the left and then wants to cross at that crossing, will be governed by the green cycle light that you highlighted.

Why anyone would choose to do this rather than take the lane and go straight through the junction with the rest of the traffic, I'm not sure. I do know a lot of bike lanes are designed like this, including one close to my place of work.

From my previous post, I edited as you were posting

Once complete the cycle lane will be on the left of the light so the traffic light doesn't apply. But, using the cycle lane you would only be able to continue around to the left until you reach the signaled bike/pedestrian crossing.

Let’s revisit this when they’ve finished the works and markings.

I can't see the answer being much different, to be honest

Bit of a missed of opportunity with this new design of segregated cycle lane segments at Sandyford Industrial Estate Business District. It's just a bit of a shame that there isn't a dedicated traffic light for cyclists that would allow cyclists to proceed pretty much all the time, given the segregation from traffic coming from all directions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They aren't segregated though as other cyclists could come in when they have a green light at the T junction, I presume that is the rationale

Maybe, though if I was cycling up the T, I'd be far more inclined to swing around the bend and move into towards the left after the bollards, not through the bollards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

All it takes is one accident and the council would be brought through the courts by not one but two people. I get what you are saying but no one in their right mind would take the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Don't know the area here - but are cyclists expected to merge into the cycle lane in the section with the bollards turning right from the T-Junction? Have somewhat a similar junction in Galway City on the Seamus Quirke Road without bollards

most people cycling proceed through the lights when red (potential conflicts with pedestrians would tend to be a greater that cyclists)As long as people are doing it a low speeds and give way it works, but it is something that perhaps should be legislated for. Flashing amber cycling light here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think there's a pedestrian crossing on the right arm of the T as well? So there would be times when cyclists should stop on the left arm of the T for them. I suppose a general "caution: cyclists, pedestrians merging" warning might suffice, but idk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A separate light for cyclists, tied to the pedestrian phase only, should be provided there. TBH if there were no pedestrians crossing, I'd probably just go through.

Time to revisit, perhaps, now that the works are completed?

I’m still in the same position as before. When I come down the hill from Rathfarnham and stop at the lights at the bridge, I’ve no way of getting to the part of junction controlled by the cycle lights without either

• breaking the lights, and moving forward around the corner, through a red light, or
    • cycling across the footpath

Are we really designing cycle facilities that can only be used by breaking the law, or am I missing something?

Can you not just cycle through the junction, and pick up the cycle lane at the far side?

You can, but you either miss the green cycle light and have to wait for the main green light, which makes the whole cycle crossing infrastructure entirely redundant, or you break the main green light by proceeding on the green cycle light.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Advertisement

Well, either way you might have to wait for a light, if it's red when you get there.

The infrastructure is not designed well at that junction, but it really is as simple as deciding to cycle directly through the junction, and rejoin the cycle lane on the far side.

This is a bit like the miniature bread scene in Spinal Tap.

Advertisement