Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Are lads finally coming to their senses ,always taught Abbeyfeale was a good mart but the masses running back to mauty knew better.It must be years since big cattle were sold there in biggish numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

He said they were going for shipping to Libya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There was a heifer in skibb yesterday end of April born weighing 475kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Valstar are buying a lot of plain cattle atm thought they'd have to be around the 400kg mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That kind of thing pops up straight away on the department database. He shouldn't be surprised with a farm inspection after that carry on.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think €1.80kg is the benchmark for those across the board. There buying them very plain though, no full Jersey's but everything else seems to be fair game. I know someone in the know who got €2kg off them for a bunch of very mixed AAx and FRx. Someone else will be stung to take €1.50kg to balance the book's, it's an outlet for real plain Jane's of cattle.

What Breed of Cattle is best for rough marginal land Summer grazing?

Should the seller have to compensate you for cattle which you buy which don't thrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

I certainly hope so

and any that die they have to cover the knackery charges an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I don't know that would work, how would you assess if it was the fault of the cattle or they way you managed them that lead to the poor thrive...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

In fairness, they are not like cars or washing machines where you get a 6-month guarantee or can buy an extended warranty.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Seller should be responsible for poor Genetics if they were born on his Farm. Too many progeny from easy calving bulls are not suitable for Beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

C'mon, 'Caveat Emptor' - buyer be aware and all that. Just don't buy from the guy again. Learn your lesson and move on. If you have doubts about calves from a certain farmer, maybe buy a few as a trial and see how they go.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

If it's any consolation, I lost €1,000 on 12 cattle I bought from a well-know cattle dealer two years ago.

Zero come-back.

I will never forget it, but everyone gets caught at some stage (most will never admit it thou). I consider it a lesson and it'll only be a mistake if I do something similar again.

O Siamsa farming is like an other form of gambling we all loose at time, but we never speak of them, it's the rank outsider that comes in first that we happen to have a few quid on that we tell everyone about.

I bought 4 cattle in a group last year, farmers stock, 1 healed over just before Christmas. 1 lad broke his toe in the slats & had to get it cut off. He is only starting to but on flesh now. 3 lad I seen him rising on a heifer & fall & hurted himself and took him about 4 months to come right.. So the 1 lad that has been sold so far is carrying an awful lot of debts at the minute... and I don't think his two buddies are going to ease the pressure as they will be overage and doing well to grade a 2+ by the end of the year. Plus vet & meal bills. As a lad said to me the guy who sold them must have cried after them. I wouldn't be buying his stock again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 reiska

Siamsa can you explain your figure of £1000 please

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Base price

When I was very young there used to be a weekly cattle sale in the village square near to where my Grandparents lived. I remember my Grandad bringing me too it on the odd occasion. He might be selling an animal or trying to buy a milch cow, a sow or a horse. I always remember the skill that the likes of him and his generation had at judging a animal - they were stockmen and women. He thought me a lot about looking at a ponies/calves/yearlings cannon bones, the set of their shoulder, head, tail, dept of rib etc, etc.

If people can't judge an animal before them be it a calf/bullock with narrow spindle cannon bones, a high tail etc then they shouldn't be buying them and if they do then don't complain about it.

The cattle dealer I bought them from claimed they were 350kg. He had bought them from another farmer and said he'd deliver to my yard if I bought them from him. They didn't go thru a mart so were not weighed before landing here.

I knew little about guessing cattle weight and so believed him. I then paid him a certain price per kg.

That was May. I planned to graze for the summer, house over winter, and then sell again the following summer as they came fit. But a neighbour sent bullocks to the factory in September and he was told one showed suspected lesions. He thought he might go down with TB and if he did, some of the other herds in the area might also be restricted. I don't think this is the case, but I didn't know that then. In fairness, the neighbour was trying to be nice and give me a heads-up. (It later turned out his bullock wasn't a doubtful at all).

I got a bit nervous and thought I'd sell the 12 bullocks in case I got locked-up. I assumed I'd make nothing on them but I'd get my own money back again at least.

I put them into two batches of 6 and I can still remember the feeling of confusion, then almost physical sickness when the first 6 went onto the weighing scales before coming into the ring. The 6 of them weighed 1870kg together. It didn't make sense. How could they be just over 300kg now when they were 350kg four months ago? Then it dawned on me.

They sold for less per kg than I had paid, so I got less back than I had paid. Plus there was the fertiliser cost for the grass they ate, and the haulage for bringing them to the mart.

The irony was I didn't go to the mart in the first place to buy cattle coz I thought they were all gangsters around the ring, and this cattle dealer was a genuine friend of my fathers back in the day.

Live, learn, move on. I've made plenty other mistakes since then, and will make more, but I will never get caught like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭leoch

The man who made no mistakes never made anything

If you are buy cattle by the weight then you would need to see them weighed & take at least 20kgs off for fresh weight. Another trick dealers have is showing you the docket from when they bought them, they have been knowing to get them altered too. I was buying a batch off a dealer I know well in the Mart one evening and he was telling me he couldn't take my offer & trying to show me the dockets from when he bought them. I said to him just cause he paid to much don't expect me to do the same. I told him I would stand my bid at the ring & if it was no good to him fair enough. That evening he dropped them in that shed as he was passing. Said he could take it once there was no mart fees... he then turned around and gave me a score for luck... you just couldn't be up to them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The dealer survive due to lads keep going back to them to be rode again, stand at the ring, or buy on line.which has killed a lot of dealers or get the mart to buy for you and pay for what’s on the docket.

I don't mind dealers making a living, sure we are all a form of dealers as we are buying as cheep as we can, keeping for a while then selling on in the hope of making a profit. But lads need to be careful of them and remember that they are trying to put their hand in your pocket to take as much as they can out of it.

Cattle Dealers would take the laces out of your Shoes and comeback for the Shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Paying on the docket doesn't mean you aren't getting rode. Dealers friend selling cattle, dealer drives them on past heir value gets a few quid from seller and a few from the person that bought them off the sheet. Win win for dealer

I weighed the 27 stores here yesterday. Very happy overall. They did 1kg/day since they were weighed on turn-out back in mid-March.

Mostly HE with a few LM, and nearly all heifers. They’re averaging 420kg now.

Are they likely to do 1kg/day over winter too? Or would they need meal with the silage to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭White Clover

It is possible but they would need very good silage along with meal. If you could test your silage and try to balance the overall diet to around 14% protein or higher if you think they need to put on a bit more of a frame. Adequate minerals are very very important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What are you going doing with them. Do you intend to finish or sell as stores next spring.

If you intend to finish silage and minerals over the winter. Do not worry about rate of gain. You will get compensatory growth next spring.

If you intend to sell as spring stores remember most finishers will discount hot cattle so excessive weight gain may not pay

Slava Ukrainii

There’s 10 of the HE around 450kg that might hit 520-540kg before Xmas and I’d be happy enough with them at that. I’m guessing/hoping they’d be 250-270kg on the hook. They a decent fat cover already and I don’t want to give them too much meal at the end to make them even fatter.

The issue is diving the group in the shed to give maybe 1kg of meal to them for their last 4-6 weeks.

The other 17 can go into the shed on silage only and I’ll see how they’re doing come mid-March

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I had 8 Hereford heifers the back end of last year there were on grass until end of November I went to put them into the shed and could not believe how fleshy there were. Sent them to the factory within a few days as they were fit. They ranged in age between 20 to 22 months. Watch them Hereford heifers as they go over fat unknowns to you when they hit that age. Have more this year I expect some will be the same.

• Advertisement

The HE look like that here too - fleshy and almost too fat already, with no meal.

Just to be clear: you gave them little or no meal then, to finish them?

Advertisement