Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Good second episode. A bit more linear and far less complex than GOT was, but moving at a good pace while still setting things up nicely.

Was weird to see the GOT title music at the start and a new take on the mechanical landscape opening along with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just a word of warning - avoid any memes you see with dragons that are not in the GoT sphere. There'sa a meme going around with Joffrey showing Margaery around the dragon skulls in the Red Keep - avoid that too and don't rewatch that scene should you come across it. I hope it's not the ultimate ending, but it's a massive spoiler and I ruined it for myself browsing through r/freefolk earlier on. Very annoying that spoilers for the show are going to be much harder to avoid this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Well.. it's like a landslipe of bad decisions are just going to pile up here and something will fall over.

Also.. looking at those people on

the beach.. on one of their shoulders at the end.. that looked like that skin disease from game of thrones.. that Jorah Mormont got.

so some kind of civil war brewing .. with skin disease? *one quick google later...* greyscale?

I did like Rhaenyras costume.. the way the scales looked was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm very impressed with Rhys Ifans so far. Totally unlike anything I've seen him in before

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another really good episode. I think they're setting up the characters and conflicts well. I particularly liked how they use the dragons sparingly; as a show of strength without just big dragon fights (which I'm worried it will eventually descend into). The politics and relationships are far more interesting.

The accent of Daemon's new wife is shocking though. I didn't really rate the actress when she was in Devs and I worry for her in this if that's the accent she's chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Serious question: The Targareans have 10 adult dragons and those dragons make them an almost invincible military force.

So why is one of those dragons owned by a teenage princess whose main responsibility is to serve wine at committee meetings?

That's be like a princess having her own fully armed nuclear submarine or something???

If they don't take Rhaenyra seriously at all why is she in charge of a significant part of their military might?

I appreciate that maybe only a handful of people are able to control a dragon, but since she obviously can and since she is in charge of a dragon why doesn't she have lots of power/influence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd imagine it's because she's a woman, they don't want a woman on the iron throne so they certainly aren't going to take orders from her

The same reason why in GoT, Bran was Lord of Winterfell when Robb went off to war, Lyanna Mormont was Lady of Bear Island, Robin Aryn was Lord of the Vale after Littlefinger offed Lysa Aryn. They get their positions and privileges through their position in their families.

Rhaenyra has a dragon because she's a Targaryen and being raised alongside the dragon bonds the dragon to them (hence why Daemon claimed he wanted a dragon egg for his child though it was just a ploy to antagonise Viserys). She's serving wine at the committee meetings in part to see how the small council operates as she's part of the royal family. But the dragon is hers due to her position in the family, not because she's in charge of part of their military might. The Targaryens are dragon riders, no-one else (as far as I know).

She is the oldest of the King's children (even if Viserys' son lived). She has a high position in the royal family, and she's a Targaryen so the dragon is her birthright. Serving the wine makes her privy to the decisions and discussions of the Small Council. She's not just serving wine, she's learning how to rule.

Post edited by Penn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The king obviously has some kind of cancer like disease

First episode he had sores on his back now he has them on his fingers ,He doesn't got 2 years in him ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Presumably because she's about 10 years of age.

yeah he is good but he could equally take out a two halves of a coconut and stop clopping away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I dont like the character at all so probably not paying much attention to him. Milly alcock imo is really good in this, I know shes center of attention atm but havnt seen her put a foot wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

With all the pressure on their shoulders, filming during Covid & trying to make up for S08 they've done one hell of a job.

Sapochnik has obviously used greater screenwriters than D&D.

Liking what I see so far

Just watch the show.

Why wouldn't you mind your younger brother or sister?

Playing variations of the GoT tune during the show is a bad move imo.

Makes it seem even more derivative.

What do you reckon Daemon's ends up being the knight king ? ?

I also think the red witch will appear as she's probably the only other character old enough to do so form GOT

• Advertisement

I found the first episode to be decent but the second episode was very dull IMO.

I'm already watching dissections of the episodes on youtube. I'm fully onboard. I can see why people have issues, but its gripped me and I'm going to let it.

The Night King as in the main White Walker in Game of Thrones? Couldn't be, we see a flashback to the Children of the Forest stabbing dragonglass into a man's chest, which made him into the Night King, the first White Walker. The Night King is thousands of years old

Where was he for all those years ? just chilling out relaxing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I believe it takes 100s of years for the big winter to commeth so he probably was chillaxing.

I also believe Paddy's son is the mad King. Or else it's his grandson

He was defeated before, though it became legend/stories rather than history as people stopped believing it was true. In the meantime he began building his army. He also appears to have at least some foresight into the future, so he may have been waiting for certain events to occur before he could make his move. At the very least, he knew he couldn't really do anything until he found a way to take down The Wall.

I think HOTD is set about 170 years before the events of Game of Thrones, so I'd say there's a few more generations between the Mad King and the events of HOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Ep3

Its all very predictable isnt it, the "surprise" dragon showing up in battle to save the day (I will say I was surprised it wasnt daemons dragon - new dragon in the mix)

The episode didnt do it for me, and at the rate we are seeing time jumps, we will be at got season one before hotd dragon season one finishes, whats that, 11 years in 3 episodes!

Its good -- but I suppose its been done, Im probably expecting too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Episode 3 was fine. I think what's really missing in this series, compared to GoT, is all the semi related parallel stories. Maybe it will get that once the prequel part is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I might have to pull HD episodes from the high seas because Sky Atlantic only air the episodes in SD.. You just can't watch a show like this on standard def

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd presume its going to jump back and forth. They have old and younger actors cast for the roles, and they receive equalish billing. But just a throwaway away for 3 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

More good fun with episode 3. Really enjoying this so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭corkie

I know it is only done for filming purposes, but why do the horse-drawn carriages look bigger on inside (Tardis)?

It is hard to get invested in characters (actors) with so many of the cast due to get swapped for time jumps.

i.e. Rhaenyra and future husband are been recast.

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Found the pet pug a bit random when the Princess was speaking with the other women in the Kings wood part of episode 3.

Overall in finding it a good watch & interesting to see how it develops into season 2.

A teenager is riding a dragon because it is literally her personal dragon. They have 10 or so Dragons. But only 4 Targaryens in Episode 1.

They aren’t weapons to passed around like ships or army’s. Only those of Valyrian blood can rife dragons. The Targaryens being the Valyrian family that brought the dragons to Westeros.

Characters have made a point, on more that one occasion to say the Velarons are Valyrian blood. Plus the younger ones are half Targaryen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its alright but it suffers from having only one story arc unlike GOT that had so much going on. Isn't there anything else worthwhile happening in westeros to run parallel to this?

who was riding the dragon at the end?

In the first did the king not recognise the threat the crab king was because he was obsessed with his dream? so every other thing seems less important even if it was significant to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭midnightblue

Who's Targaryen on his mother's side, of course. It's well established canonically that the only dragon riders are Targaryens. I think Corlys even mentioned it in E1 or 2.

I thought it was a pretty solid episode. I didn't even notice til several people mentioned it on Twitter that Matt Smith had no dialogue. I wouldn't be a huge fan but that speaks volumes (no pun intended) about his acting ability.

• Advertisement

IMDB lists how many episodes each actor appears in (can be a bit spoilery, depending on the show, tbh) and that would certainly appear to be the case here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: Right so. Story moving along at pace. The figuring-out bits during the episode kept my attention anyway. Got distracted by the orgy tapestry behind the queen in one of her scenes! 😲

I thought the boar scenes and aftermath were done well. There was some feeling of

Daenerys in the way Rhaenyra looked from behind.. on the horse overlooking the forest/valley..

I'm thinking it was with the hair.. something about it

At the end, I found it a bit hard to believe it took

so many arrows for one to touch Daemon.

I guess that's the Crabfeeder .. Drahar right? .. done for the show.. cut you might almost say 😁

Though I still wonder about the skin and whether it was the skin disease from GOT. Wondering if Daemon has it now.

I assume for the future now.. Daemon will come out looking strong and this will make a counter-point to the throne and so conflict is going to brew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

his skin didn't look like grayscale.

No mention of the sores and cuts that Viserys had in previous episodes. Are we to assume they have gone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

He was missing two fingers on his left hand as he was sitting in the chair in his quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But it is an actual medical condition? Crab Guy isn't some sort of Spiderman-type mutant...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

yeah the pink and ring finger were gone, and they looked pretty nasty too, so he's clearly carrying some bit of stank on the hand too.

It's Valyrian's that are Dragon riders, not only Targaryens. They are the only Valyrian's left that have Dragons. But Velaryon's are also Valyrian blood. As Coreys was saying while he pimped his daughter. The other small council guy said it again this week about the Velaryon son as a match.

Obviously being half Targ helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Daemons solo run was all a show of bravado to increase his stake to claim the throne. You can see this leading to conflict and bloodshed because his brother won't want to relinquish the throne to easily especially when he has identified his daughter as the heir.

Doesn't look too dissimilar to Greyscale, just a lot has been scabbed raw.

Anyone else notice the mask he is wearing looks very like [This from Game of Thrones]

• Advertisement
Advertisement