Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020..... 1.5m Dairy calves.... discuss.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The 4 extra dairy x on same ground in comparison to your suckler will have nitrates implication quality over quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭ginger22

well at least the 28 day rule will force lads to register their calves the day they are born, stop the messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭straight

There was lads registering them earlier to get rid of them before 10 days not to mind 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭cjpm

Forgot my hole.

Chose to ignore the issue as they were balls deep pushing the jerseys as a solution to all our problems

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

That’s gonna be a big issue with “knowledge transfer” for the supposed MACC solutions to reducing emissions.

The people who claimed they simply forgot about the extra calves are the same people now charged with passing on “knowledge” to farmers.

Whether the solutions are right or wrong, Teagasc have very little credibility and can’t expect farmers to trust them this time around and take one for Eamon Ryan’s utopian notions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭alps

Trust won't matter.

They are the only entity capable of delivering a scientific solution to a 25% reduction in emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Going way off topic. But that wouldn't be my take.

If we blindly follow teagasc we'll have land polluted in polymer from protected urea. What this means and it's just my opinion is impacted soil life. This will show as more drought prone land. Think of it as spraying on a grass safe herbicide on soil. You think it has no effect but it does and it does effect that grass. I've seen similar effect from going into drought fast by just getting mineral balances wrong. Now consider what effect polymers derived from oil will have on soil balances? But instead of my mineral imbalances these will not flush from soil.

That's one effect imo from following advice.

The next is there's a much more safer and efficient way of applying nitrogen that is not being delivered as an environmental and emission reduction option and that is via FOLIAR. But foliar with microbe food and plant stimulants and carbon buffers as well as the Nitrogen (if needed).

There's also potential soil harm going to be done by the myopic research into reducing emissions from slurry. By the harm and myopic I mean by even considering adding Aluminium, Sulphuric Acid to slurry. Soil health as a concept has not really sunk into the consious of Teagasc. It's not really gotten yet. It hasn't for the majority for farmers then if that's where guidance is coming from. If your soil is buzzing with life, there's more nitrogen available to the plant. That doesn't come from a purchased bag but it's from all your soil life. The same way you and me are full of proteins and nitrogen. Phosphorus becomes more available too. The Phosphorus index can rise just from having more life in the soil. Then from all this life. Carbon increases in the soil. It holds onto more of the nitrogen and phosphorus and water in the soil. It's not all leaching or running off your ground.

This is the way every grass farmer (and tillage) should be looking and thinking if they are serious about the environment and emissions, yada, yada, yada, etc.

The current advice will work against farmer's land and livelihoods and play into the vegan environmental speakers in this country, ...in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭green daries

They will be exported as veal I would expect

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Eldest lad was telling me yesterday his friend has pedigree limousin calves born in June not registered yet. I said do you mean pedigree wise and he said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭DBK1

Talking to a relation of mine yesterday and he was telling me he averaged €1,400 a few weeks back for his 11 month old bulls from his suckler herd.

I know sucklers will never be even a close relation to dairying when it comes to profit but it’s not all doom and gloom in sucklers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

There are dairy farmers in my parish paying some of their neighbours to take their bull calves away the day they’re born, sure it’s the most efficient way for them, that’s all that matters, money is the only consideration. The lads taking them are some fools, they’re making nothing out of them.

There's lads in my parish taking calves a few weeks before they're born.

We've reached peak irish farmer internet implosion.

Ffs lads grow barley, make beer. Sell beer to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭straight

What age were the bulls in reality though 🤣🤣🤣

You're completly right, but what you've developed, you've largely learned through your own investigations and what works and what doesn't.

I'd guess that you could not write a textbook for your system to be replicated across the country.

What chances that government would take your suggestions as the route or plan for emissions reductions?

My point is, that no matter what your view is on whether teagasc are right or wrong, its their scientific results that will be taken into account....no one elses.

Fair play, and I reckon you're out the gap of fertiliser reductions being a limitation to your operation, but for anyone to try and follow your route, its a most confusing road, lined with snake oil salesmen and no real tutor.

Teagasc's weakness (or one of them) is that whatever template they put in place, it needs to be easily teachable and transferable. They can't touch complication.

Our best bet here, is to watch and understand what teagasc are leaning towards, and get ahead of that, by another more effective route if that's possible.

You've moved far ahead here, but I wonder how many students could you bring on behind you....I'd certainly love to be one..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

That’s the spirit, brush it under the carpet, pretend it’s not happening, turn a blind eye until the shyte hits the fan and it’s too late, there’s always the Suckler cows to take the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭Grueller

That's fine if you are getting paid for your efforts. Iirc I think mj you said you had north of 100 sucklers at one stage. You know how poor the returns are.

I have side tracked the thread here maybe.

I actually averaged almost the same over a batch of bulls as well. Same age. The prices are in the mart thread. Still no fortune in them at that. 8 bales of silage alone is €320 this year. Straw, dosing, vaccines, bull/AI, veterinary, mortality, infertility, contractors, slurry, meal etc. I reckon there is €1000 near enough in costs in those Autumn calvers and the heifers will pull the average back a long way.

@alps if you're ever in wexford again send me on a message and I'll show you what I'm doing, it's far from rocket science.

It sounds complicated because it's new.

I've the simplest system going. I nearly have it pinned down but I still have more ideas to improve it.

Bought a GPS lately and I was informed that there was a meeting of a Dutch user sharing knowledge to Irish dairy farmers in the Obama centre, tipp. How many farmers were at that compared to johnstown castle. Trouble is it wasn't advertised. Farmers themselves want to keep ownership of it. You can't really blame them.

But the offer is there Alps.

Kiss up with @Grueller.

It's the same with the vegan environmentalists. It's easy attack. Doesn't mean what they attack with is true though.

Report that dairy farmer tanko. That's the only answer. Report the buyer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Always dairy here and kept all calves ….once quotas went I slowly went up in cows and back to no cattle for first time this year …just kept them to weanlings or stores and all they left was a cheque with little to no profit

• Advertisement

I have you confused so. Maybe was jaymla a suckler man once upon a time?

Cheers Say...

Heading for Bunclody w/e pretty soon....would really love to take you up on that one...👍👍👍

Might be hard to plan.

But try and pick a dry day. I'll make up a mix for spraying.

And give warning the day before. I'm doing hospital runs for someone, coming up some days.

And only on a full moon.

(Joking on the last one). 😉😆

Edit : but if it's wet when you're going to Bunclody. It's ok too. I'll run through what I do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Wouldn't it he great if someone like yourself was selected for some form of farm demo by the likes of teagasc. Even if mainstream ag bodies don't buy into what your doing its up to everyone to make up there own minds when results are demonstrated. Seen your posts for the past while find it fascinating what your trying but alot ofnit goes way over.my head. Would be great to see these alternative practices in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭cjpm

Massive 1 plus on the above.

I used to think that I knew a fair bit about farming, when these lads post I realise that I know sfa 😳

No.. 😂

I wouldn't mind a few coming in but not Joe public and his mother.

If anyone has heard of the Danu group they're all into foliar too.

And that's the trouble too they don't publicise who's in it or what they're doing. All you'll get is info from (I'll call them vegan till proven otherwise in their rhetoric) enviros is N efficiency from the likes of Danu. It's not shared with mainstream farmers. Enviros have the show run and twist things then to suit their own arguments/agendas.

Anyway..🙈🤣

They’d be fairly accurate. He wouldn’t be the type to be fiddling the dates and I know he’s autumn calving about half of his herd. He’s expecting the first cows to calve in the next week or 2.

New as he said himself he was probably as well off 2 years ago when he was getting €1,000-€1,100 and I’m sure he’s never going to be a millionaire out of it but he’s certainly turning a few pound on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have 20 suckler cows & rear 20 dairy x calves, AAx, Hex, BBx and good Frs, I buy the Frs from a local farmer who has Br/Ho Fr cows, others I buy in the Mart. As I can pick up what I like in the mart. I can see the Jex is destroying dairy beef. I also buy another 20 odd stores so that I have 60+ beef animals to sell any year. My sucklers are a bit of a passion, alot of thought has gone into them over the years & I am now getting a good return on what I am selling. They are leaving money. The bought in stores are leaving money to, put being part time, its hard to get time to go to the Mart to buy the stores I like. The bucket fed calves would be actually the least profitable & if I counted my time, heating water runs to the vets ect it would be worse. My brother buy 60 calves every year off 2 farmers. Brings them to beef, both these lads have started to introduce xbreds & this year my brother really noticed it on his kills sheets. Good AAs €1,800 back to just over €1,200 for to bad ones, but all would have more or less cost him the same to rear. He is going to be more picky next year buying the calves off them & leave them with the **** calves.

Yea as I just said in a reply to straight I know he’s no millionaire out of it but he’s turning a few pound out of them all the same. He has a couple of roan heifers this year so he’s hoping that’ll help the heifer average up fairly well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭ginger22

Great post and insight and yet lads hardly notice they would rather be on here bitching about their neighbours calves. The mind boggles.

Advertisement