Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Property Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Well its down to the way house sales work in Ireland, until the contracts are fully signed by both parties (which can take 3 months) either side can pull out at any time with no legal or financial repercussions, technically its meant to be good for buyers if for instance you have gone sale agreed on a house that turns out to have major structural issues or the like so you don't have to go through with the sale or at least have some bargaining power with the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I don't disagree with the sentiment regarding gazumping, it's ridiculous that the system is such that we are relying on buyers (who, for the most part are not in the industry) to behave decently, rather than a professional code of conduct around estate agents or a robust, fair buying system.

Seems like we are pointing the finger at the wrong people, to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

Is Lia Fáil gonna have a second phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭manniot2

Does anyone have any info on the next oflynn development in Crosshaven. I know planning was approved and work has commenced. Looks like mainly 3 bed semis per the site plan. Wonder what they will be priced at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

Not sure how solid this is but I heard work has stopped, due to the way costs are going.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Not a good sign if developments like this are being canned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Shauna677

The more properties that come onto the market, the more likely the price will have to come down. True some of the more recent houses are in very poor condition asking ridiculous prices.... time will tell.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Quirky one here for half a million, you would need to drop another half into it at a minimum - deffo not wheelchair friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SarahPL

House for sale in Halldene gardens for €425k, seems very cheap compared to other properties for sale around Bishopstown. Although it’s finished really well inside and has massive garden. Wonder what the catch is? Subsidence issues maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yep you'll need another 50k to underpin it. An auctioneer I know said anything up to 400k isn't dropping in price, anything over is a bit of a slow sell as 400k is generally the ceiling of 1st time buyers.

Post edited by rob316 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I know of some people who live in that estate and they don’t have any issues with subsidence/ needed underpinning.

The estate was built in the 60’s? so I’m sure the houses affected by subsidence would be evident by now which would be flagged by the engineers in their report when purchasing anyways

Seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to issues with subsidence especially in Cork

More than likely the asking price of €425k is to drum up interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

You'll remember this beauty which hit the market in march/April with an asking price of €750k ? Poor layout, poor interior finish, very poor site, down a laneway, jammed in between two other houses front and back and surrounded on all four sides, etc. It dropped to €650k in June. It's now gone sale agreed. Will be very interesting to see what it actually sold for. Absolutely nuts.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭notAMember

I think I vaguely remember that boreenmanna house being built , back in the 90s.

I agree the layout is very strange in some places, a lot of concrete and tarmac in the garden, and the decor needs an update. But it is walking/cycling distance to town, near schools, on a bus route and it's a 2000sqft house. I don't mind it being tucked away in a laneway, the house out in front is very exposed to the busy road which gives noise, diesel dust, risky for kids. With a better interior and some plant life and trees in the garden for some privacy from the neighbours, it could be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anyone know what Hillcrest Close is like? This house is in very good condition and not too bad price, considering most half way decent 3 bed semis now are at the 300k mark:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-1-hillcrest-close-blarney-road-cork-knocknaheeny-co-cork/4030562

Massive roofed shed with double glazing “built for storage “. Someone doesn’t have planning permission for that maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Planning permission for a small shed at the back? Not sure what you mean - wouldn’t call it massive, it’s long but not huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Newtown heights the affordable housing scheme in lotabeg is launching on Tuesday at noon. Demand is going to be crazy for the 100 odd houses up for grabs. 3 beds starting at 243k.

If it’s a bedroom or living space (rather than just storage) , then it needs planning I think. Attic conversions get caught with this sometimes when they go up for sale as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,835 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This house in Clonlara apparently sold for 695 according to PPR.

Insane price for that type of house. People with more money than sense.

They are going to see no growth on that price for a decade if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SarahPL

Does anyone have any experiences with houses in Halldene, Bishopstown that back onto the link? We are looking at one at the moment, wondering how people find noise levels? The garden seemed quite loud but not sure if it would bother me or not. Wondering how loud it can get inside the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

this went for 365k - 70k over asking so Market still hot but then location is good for this one !

46 Friars Road, Turners Cross, Turners Cross, Co. Cork is for sale on Daft.ie

this one then went for 330k few roads down - 9 Congress Road,Turners Cross,Cork,T12N99E - Sherry FitzGerald Cork - 4575670 - MyHome.ie Residential

Not sure what asking was but I pass there alot and remember it was Sale agreed within weeks it went up for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cork981

delete

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭donnaille

It's strange as it is significantly more than previous houses have gone for and doesn't seem to be the show house. The auctioneer wasn't very forthcoming on details when I enquired to see if it is the show house, but the ad seems to confirm that it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,835 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

455k in Dec 2019

695 in August 2022

Regardless of the increases since Covid, this is stupid. These are the people who will be in negative equity in 2 years' time for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some phantom bids going on here to push the price up. To get that high it would require at least two bidders who really wanted that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

@SarahPL

I know of one house you can definitely hear the link from the back of their house, especially in the back bedrooms (they have dbl glazed windows). They were advised to get triple glazed windows for the back of the house to help with the noise levels which would be of no help in the heat if you want to leave the windows open.

It would personally annoy me but they say they have got used to it

It is a lovely estate

You do get used to pretty much any consistent noise pollution fairly quickly.

However, there is an argument that noise pollution is bad for your health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

This is a crazy price

Location is top notch but come on.....this is no way worth 3/4 of a million

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-the-moorings-whitepoint-strand-cobh-co-cork/4041666

We were ready to go to bid on this but we were expecting a price in about 600k. Not a hope we will go to 750k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

why, why, WHY do people put galley kitchens into family homes? It has 5 bedrooms and a single under-counter fridge that’s suitable for an apartment at best. Not to mention huge dark imposing build in wardrobes in a small bedroom 🤷‍♀️

I wouldn't go near a house that close to the sea. That will probably be under water in a decade or sooner if there's some really big storms!

• Advertisement

I’m not surprised that house is 750k. How much would it be in Dublin? Well over 1m. Unfortunately due to wfh that’s what you will be facing everywhere decent from now on.

Advertisement