Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsure if its a scam website/Call/Text?

Options

Comments

Or neither and it's a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Had 2 of these received during Amazon Prime week. I'd see it as a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Could be a coincidence, but I don’t live in Ireland. Have never used an post services? First time ever ordering from an Irish retailer online…seems highly suspicious.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You forgot option three, the most likely one, called a coincidence..

I like in Switzerland, where we have the Swiss Franc and I get such messages as well, they may coincide with an order or not… they all ask for 1.99 or 2.99 Euros for a domestic package! So the scammers have not figured out currency yet ;-)

It is a very widespread scam, I have colleagues across the borders in Germany and France who get the same texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I'm British, but have lived in Ireland for the past 15 years - most of the attempted scam emails I get have the currency in Sterling and lots are pretending to be from UK institutions (tax office, DVLA, TV licensing etc), I think because my email address is a .co.uk one.

However, my mobile phone number is through an Irish provider, so the scam texts (and robocalls) usually turn up in Euros!

While there are too many organisations who will sell or are naïve enough to have poor security around your info, scammers also use brute force and will use software that just sends these emails/texts speculatively to random addresses and numbers, kind of like starting at the beginning of the phone book and working through. More sophisticated software will have the capability to note when it gets a response from the random address or number to compile a list of 'live' numbers, which can also be sold on.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a place to start if you want to check your own email or phone number, but in the end, it's individuals who have to approach every unsolicited email, text, or call asking for money or personal info with extreme scepticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Well the packages arrived just now, spoke to the postman. Lots of it going around. No duty/processing fee required.

block added to -hone number and email address …. Thankfully always careful of everything. Bastards! 😀

I got the same text (not email) last night. I had received a parcel yesterday from An Post with no issues. The text said I owed €1.99 in customs fees. I knew I didn't as I had the parcel. The link doesn't load anyway. I would never go through with a payment online like this anyway but it looks authentic. Just be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

If there is a link, then it is definitely not authentic.

An actual request from An Post will ask you to go to their website, and give you a reference number to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Scammers literally send tens of thousands of these texts at a time. Same with the bank texts.

They laws of averages means that the text will come just as a few hundred people are expecting a parcel, or a few hundred people who just did a bank transaction with the bank named in similar texts (or other parcel company)

The amount is an innocuous amount and you just think that the retailer has made an error and if you are busy or concentrating on something else, you click and enter your details.

But it is 100% a scam and your card is then used almost instantly around the world.

An Post will always give the tracking number, they will then give you a reference number to go onto their website. They do not give you links

and they have this screaming at you on their website https://www.anpost.com/Security

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

No use blocking the number. The number displayed is simply a generated number and many will be genuine numbers of people.

They rarely use the same number twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Got this link after posting an ad on adverts.ie but it's not fedex.com

Contacted through whatsapp.

Quite impressive and realistic looking.

Could fool a less decerning seller.

How do these people sleep at night?

Post edited by whiterebel on

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Just to double check, naturally I didn't input bank details or any details, but clicking on the link alone wouldn't compromise me, right?

It's obviously a phishing link.

There's a live chat option and the scammer is still trying to hustle me:

https://i.imgur.com/pgIGFf8.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/svYZrGD.png?1

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Daughter received this SMS, and is actually expecting UK package?

From anyone's experience, is it legit?

Just the capitalisation of "seized" seems dodgy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Complete scam, the address is very obviously not the official one.

As I understand it An Post actually follow good security practice for the official notifications and only send you a reference number with no link, leaving you to go to the website yourself and enter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thanks very much.

I suspect inside job, as daughter has delayed UK parcel, so is possibly being held by Customs and someday could snap phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Not at all likely. The scammers send millions of these out, someone will always be expecting a parcel, just a co-incidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As stated above by dam009 it's purely coincidental. I'd guess there's a bigger chance of your daughter receiving a scam text message than the scammer being employed by AnPost.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

I'm trying to sell an old armchair on Facebook Marketplace and have gotten a strange offer from someone that I'm fairly sure is a scam. The buyer is hoping to send a TNT agent to my house with the money for the armchair in an envelope and then have the same courier take away the armchair. I've never heard of this being done before and think it is a scam but would like to run it by someone else too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,058 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's a definite scam. This variation is doing the rounds at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Really what you are looking for is someone to call to your house hand you cash and take the chair away.

If that happens happy days, any deviation from that arrangement don't go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

Awesome, cheers for the heads up guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

RE: An Post scams

An Post have an admin fee of €3.50 plus whatever the VAT is.

So requests for a charge of €1.95 or similarly low amount are obviously not genuine and should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Hi Eliza,

I am one of your customers and I purchased 2 x PS5 consoles on 1st August 2022 and never received the second one. After waiting 4 months, I got sick of waiting and requested a refund which I have not received either.

What is your response to this? When can I expect a refund?

Here is the history of the order:

• 1st August 2022: Ordered 2 x PS5 Digital Consoles Brand New from Outlet
    • The product page stated that Dispatch time is up to 15 working days +2 working days for delivery.
    • 16th Aug: Clicabox informed me of a delay, the order wont be shipped until 28/08 and they will refund €30 for each console and offer an accessory with each console.
    • 18th Aug: I agreed to this and I received the refund of 60 euro.
    • 12 Sept: One console arrives.
    • 15th Sep I received a second hand console from Poland. Original receipt says 08/02/2021. Clicabox organised the collection and return of the second hand console a few days later.
    • 20th Sept: Clicabox says they should have "tracking available tomorrow".
    • 27th Sept: Clicabox says they opened a DPD account and will schedule the deliveries tomorrow. The PS5 and two accessories will be shipped.
    • 5th Oct: Clicabox says DPD are collecting all the items tomorrow.
    • 10th Oct: Clicabox says there are 2 parcels arriving today. But nothing arrived.
    • 10th - 26th October: Clicabox will not send me the tracking numbers or any proof that the parcels were actually sent.
    • 18th October: I rang DPD and they said there are no deliveries scheduled for my address or phone number.
    • 26th Oct: Clicabox says they are dispatching a new PS5 tomorrow.
    • 28th Oct: Clicabox says replacement PS5 will be with me next week, likely Tuesday.
    • 2nd November: Clicabox sent me a tracking number.
    • 4th November: The tracking says parcel was delivered but I didnt receive anything.
    • 6th November: I rang DPD amd they said that tracking number was for a different person with an address in Dublin, and that there is no delivery scheduled for my address or phone number.
    • 30th November: I got tired of dealing with them and requested a refund for the second console
    • 8th January 2023: No refund received and no replies from them via email. Only solution is to bring Clicabox to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barelysane2019

I’ve had a similar experience. I’ve seen some reviews on trustpilot mentioning they’ve gone out of business?

Clickabox are absolutely 100% a scam

I’m going to the garda tomorrow to report them for theft and fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Cassius Tall Mirage

These scams are easy to set up. As an experiment I sent a s am text to myself, but just after doing it I got distracted by something else going on that needed by full attention, so I put the self-scam way to the back of my mind. Early morning I was checking my texts, and growled at seeing “yet another scam”. It was my own s am 😂

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

Clicabox website up and running, but looking at their terms & conditions they appear to be in breach of EU consumer law re online returns. However as a small company operating on limited cash flow I imagine it must be extremely difficult or impossible to comply with law concerning change of mind about online purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Today's An Post scam: got a text saying a €1.90 delivery fee is due, and to visit an-postdelivery-fees dot com. (Domain registered 24/1/2023.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

Hi,

When selling online I normally just accept cash when the buyer come to pick up the item. I've never sold on DoneDeal before but the buyer is suggesting that they pay me 'through the site' and that after they have paid I will receive 'a link to receive payment by bank card'. Then they send a courier to pick up the item. They say they can't come to collect it themselves because they are in Waterford and I'm in Dublin. Its looking like a scam to me, do DD even provide a facility for the buyer to pay through the site ? Or will he just email me a doctored 'link' purporting to be paying me, have a courier collect the item and that's the end of that ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Advertisement