Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsure if its a scam website/Call/Text?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Had a piano on Donedeal and Adverts and cant say I had any issues.

I also had it on Facebook Marketplace for a few days. I was getting 3/4 scam contacts a day before I took it down. Complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

I put up an advert on marketplace to sell a TV, so I've had a succession of replies like this :Hey. Ok I take. I'd like to come today or tomorrow but I'm currently busy with work, I'll send a courier factor to your home to give you your money in cash and get the item back. I explain to you, an agents will come to your home to give you an envelope containing your money, and once you have checked your money you give him the item so that they can send it to my home. Okay?

I have made it clear the item is xxx€ cash and even so I'm still getting these similar offers to buy. I'd regard it as a scam but I'm trying to figure out how the scam would work. Àny ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭standardg60

What happens is they say the courier charges an 'insurance' amount which they say they will include in the envelope but ask you to transfer that amount to the 'courier' beforehand.

When you refuse they then threaten legal action for not completing the 'contract' as they say they've already engaged the courier. I've seen the threatening messages recently and while they're actually hilarious, if you're anyway naive they can seem scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Wow. So for example I'm selling a TV for 100€ , they send a driver with an envelope that has 120€ ànd I transfer money,I presume 20€ driver fee to the buyer? Something like that?

Post edited by horse7 on

In the example I saw they were looking for 100 euro to be transferred to the courier, which would be included in the envelope with the purchase price.

Of course there is no courier to begin with and no one will show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I got a confirmation text from a barber shop for appointment. It had my name. I checked the business name and it is legitimate business in Dublin. I'm on the other side of the country and never had any dealings with them.

Don't know where they got my name and number.

Could this be dodgy? Any point contacting them?

Post edited by Heighway61 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chickennuget

I received a text today from what genuinely looks like AnPost, its says "Judicial registered letter not delivered! Your delivery has ben stuck in the distribution center" and then it gives me a link to track the shipping but the link address looks suspicious to me

Is this a real text or is it a scam link ? i am not aware of any registered letters being delivered to me and ive never received a letter n regards to a court case before

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Don't touch links in messages like that.

Scams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

An Post don't read your mail so how would they know it was a "Judicial registered letter"?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the 'ben stuck' your typo or theirs? It's a good sign of a scam if theirs.

Let me guess - the link doesn't end in 'anpost.com' but is some other website? Stay well clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Curious about what appears to be a new type of text message scam, and wonder if anybody has seen this before or knows how it would work?

Just got an ordinary text (SMS) message that says "Hi Mam, I broke my phone, WhatsApp me on my new number", and it then gives a number that starts with 089.

First red flag is that I'm a Dad rather than a Mam, and second is that neither of my children are yet old enough to even own a phone.

Was going to reply via SMS in case it was a genuine case of somebody sending that message to a wrong number, but then noticed that the message came from an 085 number, rather than the 089 that the sender claims is their new phone number.

There's no link to click, or anything else - just a request to send a WhatsApp message to that 089 number.

So....scam? And if so, how would it work, or what might I be getting myself into if I did indeed message that number?

Not new and definitely a scam

You'll be asked to pay an urgent bill that's due through a link they provide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Agreed. It's been doing the rounds for a while now.

Ah, I see. Just hadn't heard of it myself before.

Am tempted to reply now anyway, and just string them along..... 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Brother looking to get a KugooKirin M4 Pro, anyone know if kugoo Ireland is safe?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a lot there that would make me wary.

There is an EU address (Poland) absolutely buried somewhere, with a Chinese phone number (possibly mobile, as its is so long); shipping info is inconsistent and has multiple different courier firm logos. Domain is just registered to Alibaba Cloud with no further info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks L1001,

Does the eu site look better?

Or would you give kugoo a miss completely?

• Advertisement

If they take Visa you're fine imo, scammers wouldn't leave themselves open to charge back if something went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Does anyone have any experience buying from inthemarket.ie? I’ve been looking for a small folding treadmill for at home with little success and have started to get adds for some on inthemarket.ie so I was wondering if anyone has used it? Is it safe? Trust pilot thinks so but I’ve seen scam sites with good ratings on their before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Atempted to use these guys to see if I could give local guys a chance against Amazon

electricalworld.com

Ordered a kitchen appliance in early Jan 24, waited a week, no updates so back on to the website to see the status of the order as "authorised"

No online chat so via email I was told bruskly the one liner : "As per the listing this is due in to stock in March"

It was in stock when I ordered and the day I emailed but changed once I queried it.

they are based in the UK and about as Irish as a plastic shamrock :

Don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭I am me123

Currently genuinely waiting on a parcel so was wondering is this a scam message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Yes it's a scam.

A real An Post message won't have a link, just reference numbers for you to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

100% yes! Don’t click on this links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thanks guys, I suspected so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭JVince

Did you check their address?

"Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, IRELAND.

And they actually have an excellent reputation.

How was their reply "brusk" - do you really need someone to do a pandering 2 page reply to you when one sentence is sufficient?

Btw, Amazon don't deliver kitchen appliances here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Was it yourself wrote the oneliner reply?

Ha ha Amazon delivered it three days later, as they do with most kitchen appliances.

Their automatic system did not let me know there was any delay, I had to contact their CS through email.. email! (no phone numbers or online chat) and then a day later 11 words "As per the listing this is due in to stock in March". eh Thanks is that in 3 months March 2024 ?

If you read the post you would know I saw the address and THAT is why I used them, its only when you try CONTACT them that you realise they are not Irish in any meaningful way.

If you like the way they do business then use them.

Must have been a small appliance. They don't deliver large kitchen appliances. On top of that if it's over €150 they add substantial custom duties - I'd double check the ACTUAL price you paid

First line on electrical world customer service "contact page" is their phone number.

They also have live chat (10am-1pm)

https://www.electricalworld.com/Mobile/MobileContactUs.aspx

It was dreadfully easy to find

So your original post saying they are not Irish, have no phone number and do not have live chat was wrong in it's entirety.

Retailers don't want customers like you.

• Advertisement

I was talking about an IRISH phone number and the web chat did NOT respond during those times.

I never said it was a large appliance, it was small\medium like 90% of kitchen appliances.

You are probably affliated I can tell by the tone of your responses it rhymes with their emails

Ah the old sad childish rebuke of "you must be connected"

No, I just despise petty little people who have a minor little issue and then set out to defame and "punish" a retailer over a minor issue.

Sad behaviour really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod: warning for JVince for being uncivil to another poster. Your tone from the beginning didn't seem to be in any way helpful.

I'd imagine you have done your business more harm here than I ever could.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod: celtic-oz has been warned for going again after the warning was issued to JVince. Enough now please, its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 clashoftheash1

Is AnkerIreland.com too good to be true? Looking to buy an Anker powerbank but I’m suspicious of this being a genuinesite.

A URL that was registered only on June 24th this year, for a website that looks very different from the main site at

https://www.anker.com/eu-en

Very amateur-looking pages for things like shipping and returns/refunds policy, where the content doesn't mirror the content on the main site.

Looks dodgy as hell to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 clashoftheash1

Ya it doesn’t look great but there’s some amount of effort gone into it for a scam at the same time.

It’s also someone who knows how hard it is to get an Anker power bank in Ireland.

Advertisement