Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Looks to me like sales dept suggesting vm4 ...floating it to that select audience on the day to see how it would be received and then go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Companies do not allow people to state suggestions to the media, even the most minor of thinks said in the media have internal repercussions. You could be right but I very much doubt that VMTV or VM would allow a suggestion go so far that they would mock up a logo, just to test the water. VMTV did have a throw away remark about a news channel at one point and that was very quickly shot down.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Longwayjump1991

Anyone know anything about a Virgin Media Four channel? I notice on the Saorview EPG that RTÉ Jr has been shifted to channel 17, it looks to me that the channel 7 slot could be used for a Virgin Media Four channel that could likely be launched in the late autumn/winter?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Read the last ten or so posts. That’s literally all anyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Virgin Media 4 set for August 24th start date. Don't have full access to indo, but here's the main bit.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/virgin-media-and-tg4-both-set-to-launch-new-tv-channels-41908691.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭political analyst

Summary:

VM4 will be on Saorview as well as the VM Platform (Sky isn't mentioned) and is understood to be part of VMTV's new strategy, which VM1 being the flagship channel.

VM2 will be the youth-focused channel - on account of Love Island's high ratings.

VM3 will focus on drama.

VM4 is aimed as a general entertainment channel with a mix of home-produced and UK content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Won’t hold my breath. When the channels became VM 1,2,3 VM1 was meant to be the flagship channel focusing on soaps, current affairs, drama etc (the grown up channel) VM2 was kids in the morning and then the youth channel. I’d never have said it was a youth channel - not when you compare it to the U.K. youth channels

good to see new channels coming on saorview though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Basically going from a three channel operation to a five channel if you include VM More (let's not even mention VM Sport now closed).

I really hope they have bought in more content. They struggle to fill three channels (or four if you include VM More).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Any word on what the new TG4 channel will be? Will it be the long-mooted Irish language children's channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Oops, just seeing the update on this in the TG4 thread. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Schedules are normal on the 24th August on VM1,2,3, on what is the expected launch date for VM4. I would have presumed they'd move a lot of programming from VM2 (like Corrie and Emmerdale repeats) to VM4 to make VM2 more youth orientated.

Odd day to launch a new channel - on a Wednesday. Perhaps their autumn launch party takes place on that day.

I wouldn’t be getting your hopes up! They’ll probably launch the channel that evening with some premiere that was shown on itv already. I’d expect the scheduling to remain pretty much as is on VM 1-3. At the end of the day VM4 is just another revenue stream for them. Don’t expect much - it’s virgin media, you’ll be disappointed.

Found their Autumn Schedule press day is set for August 30th.

Yep, not expecting anything earth-shattering. I'd expect all 4 channels to mimic the 4 main that ITV have, because that's how amazing and forward thinking VM TV are. I'd expect them to have Thursday night Europa League games stretched across VM2, VM4 and More - especially with Shamrock Rovers and Man Utd playing those nights.

I think you expecting too much if you think that VM 1 - 4 +MORE are going to even try to imitate ITV 1 - 4 +BE

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Longwayjump1991

I hope it’s not another channel full of the chase and catchphrase on a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness when he was make something different on the BOX. I wonder if the Irish Egyptian father with get his own travel show with mates and head to Australia on a budget, good co-pro with screen Australia. and then end up on Daytime TV?

______

Yesterday

VMFOUR, which was heresay a few weeks ago, will be on Soarview.

______

Yesterday

A bit of an unexpected one but ITV have won FTA rights to the NFL that were previously held by the BBC. This deal covers U.K. and Ireland and VM will be able to broadcast ITV’s NFL programming here. Will include the Super Bowl (which TV3 previously broadcast a good few years ago), two London games and weekly highlights.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/itv-and-nfl-announce-three-year-partnership

Very unusual Virgin Media actually getting mentioned in Press Release and we don't have to guess about what might happen.

• Advertisement

Yeah that is very strange TBH. I wonder how that got into the press release. but it is the same for ITV press release also https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-and-nfl-announce-three-year-partnership

______

Yesterday

VMTV not saying a word about it either. You’d think they’d be jumping up and down about picking up the Super Bowl.

I guess they will be on the 30th or on the launch of VMFOUR.

______

Yesterday

Will any of these channels appear on Sky?

Virgin haven’t even formally announced the channel even though it’s meant to be launching in less than a week, so who knows really.

You would think at this stage it would at least have a placeholder on saorview/virgin advertising the new channel coming soon I don’t know why anything with virgin media comes as a disappointment anymore - we should just be used to it by now.

This new channel is too squeeze more revenue from current library off shows. Basically that's all VM Four is for.

Completely and you’d be foolish to think otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This is great news...another channel to air tipping point and the chase on endless repeat....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

They might even treat us to Red Rock and The chase Australia/America

Advertisement