Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coming World War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i know a lot of journalists/reporters are putting their lives on the line..but Vice is at another level

this is a must watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I only just commented about that series on the Ukraine thread. It's incredible stuff. She's a brave woman. They have a history of excellent reporting over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Don't know if there's merit to this contention:

Could be said there's blood on US hands re many war/conflict zones.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,783 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Indeed blood on the hands of various US administrations for other situations throughout history, however on topic there's little connection. Unfortunately anyone with basic current affairs and history knowledge can blame the US/West/whatever countless different ways for pretty much any international situation by carefully cherry-picking history and being frugal with context and facts. Unsurprisingly this approach is popular enough and gets clicks on Youtube. There's a decent sized audience for people who want simplistic black/white narratives where the "good guys are really to blame". Go to the content creator and you'll often see a pattern of the same types of videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First of all that is a fairy tale. There is not a hope that China would defeat the US in conventional war at present or in the next 30 years either.

I. That senario above China imposes puppets governments. The former Warsaw pact countries all left the Warsaw pact because of the poor economic policies of the former USSR. Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova all excited the USSR along its the small independent Baltic states.

Tell us the one about the blonde girl and the three bears next

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Every larger country that has been involved in 'international escapades' (which is most of them) will have blood on their hands. It is the way empires work - bringing 'civilisation' to their new subjects.

It must be a major joke that both Britain and USA claim to bring 'democracy' when both are among the least to have it, or even allow it, within their own nation, and they also claim that other nations are corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

China is coming up quickly, especially in the Navy side of it, they are the world's largest ship builder.

Years away yet but they see themselves as eventually replacing America and they well might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Britain or America are not democratic and not leading democracies.

I'm not a fan of American foreign policy or their cultural influences and think Britain didn't get half enough in the long war in the North but they are still leading Democratic and probably 2 of the most open societies on earth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, America suffered an attempted coup on the 6th Jan 2021, so their democracy is very fragile. They go around killing each other - either by the police using fatal force or gun toting nutters.

Its politics is very binary, and funded by too many vested interest lobby groups, which gave rise to that being a threat to democracy.

The Supreme Court has moved far to the right - not just a bit but significantly, which is also a threat to democracy It has permitted a huge amount of gerrymandering in their electoral system - again moving away from democracy. It has also rolled back on the funding of political parties to allow hidden funding of interest groups. Now, USA was a very open and democratic country, but has steadily moved away from those bright days - WAS democratic is not the same as IS democratic.

Much the same can be said for the UK - where universal suffrage was only granted in 1928. The last time a single party Gov was formed with a majority of the popular vote was in 1932 - the first election after universal suffrage - but not since. This is because of the FPTP system that allows safe seats to be created when the winner only requires 40% or so of the vote, and the winner is selected by a small cabal of party members. This happens in both of the major parties, and neither of those parties will change the system.

Also, look at the NI and Scottish setup where neither major party currently holds any sway - yet they are tied to an unrepresentative parliament in Westminster.

Currently, there is a Gov in power with an 80 seat majority based on 43.6% of the popular vote. The governing party could pass any legislation that they wanted - even with a significant rebellion from their backbenchers, with no come back from the courts, or anyone. Hardly the basis for a claim to be democratic.

Switzerland is the most democratic nation - because they continually consult their electorate via frequent referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

FPTP is a terrible system of voting and is at the root of a lot of the problems in British and American politics.

The USA especially fares poorly compared to other OECD countries when it comes to strength of democracy.

That being said neither belong anywhere near a conversation that involves actual autocracies such as China and Russia.

There are levels to this.

Freedom House ranks countries access to political rights and civil liberties on a scale of 1-100. Some examples in descending order:

• Norway, Finland 100
    • New Zealand 99
    • Ireland, Denmark 97
    • Japan 96
    • Australia, Portugal 95
    • Germany, Estonia 94
    • U.K. 93
    • The Bahamas 91
    • Slovakia, Slovenia 90
    • Italy 90
    • France, Malta, Lithuania 89
    • Greece 87
    • Croatia 85
    • Argentina, Mongolia 84
    • U.S.A. , Romania 83
    • Poland 81
    • Jamaica 80
    • Bulgaria, South Africa 79
    • Israel 76
    • Brazil 73
    • Botswana 72,
    • Ecuador 71
    • Hungary 69
    • India, Bolivia 66
    • Papua New Guinea, Moldova 62
    • Ukraine 61
    • Indonesia 59
    • Georgia 58
    • Armenia, Sri Lanka 55
    • Guatemala 51
    • Malaysia 50
    • Nigeria 43
    • Morocco 37
    • Angola 30
    • Qatar 25
    • Cambodia, Oman 24
    • Rwanda 22
    • Gabon 21
    • Russia, D.R.C 19
    • Egypt 18
    • U.A.E. 17
    • Iran, Burundi 14
    • Cuba 12
    • China, Azerbaijan 9
    • Tajikistan 8
    • Crimea, Saudi Arabia 7
    • Eastern Donbas 4
    • North Korea 3
    • Afghanistan, Syria 1

link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think Germany is pedalling a soft approach to Russia ,looking after its own and not the wider EU, meanwhile Irish government wondering if they've to ask the EU permission to go to the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think it is only a matter of time now unfortunately be in months or years but the War in Ukraine is a Proxy war now. Russia have attacked European and American made weapons being supplied to Ukraine do it is only a matter of time before it becomes a full blown World War. Russia announced it would not use Nuclear weapons in Ukraine but not anywhere else.

Time to start buying Nuclear bunkers I think or building your own.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Got as far as 2 minutes 12 seconds. New York, sorry, Ukraine doesn't want to be part of gangland Russia, so the whole thing falls apart if you have to ignore Ukraine's desires. And the USSR defeated itself by being a failed ideology.

Did I miss anything by not watching any further?

Russia isn't going to keep up the charade for another 12 months. As long as Russia proper isn't attacked Russia isn't going to blow itself up (by attacking NATO). Putin will still enjoy a fine/king like lifestyle heading up a North Korea like Russia, so he'll be fine with a little bruised ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I hope you are right. I hope it ends sometime in the next 3 to 6 months.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I watched more of the producers channel and then realized he's a dipstick and his productions are click bait.

I didn't realize that until after I'd linked that vid in this thread.

In physics we trust....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There have been multiple proxy wars over the last 50 years that have not ended in nuclear conflict.

Also, a world war is not happening. A nuclear war cannot be ruled out, but there will be no world war - Russia is on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Even if Ukraine will eventually be paying for a lot of this assistance (and I don't agree they will), they will be doing so as an independent country and not a Russian conquest.

Correct.

I never really understood the conflation between the nuclear war (NATO vs Russia) and a World War; major forces of the entire world at war.

But even in the case of a nuclear war, the chance of this coming about are remarkably slim - not least because neither side wins. There are also other forces out there, such as China, that would lose in the event of a NATO/Russia nuclear war (due to the effects of a nuclear winter). And even if Putin did want to tread that path, he would have to get every person in the nuclear chain to go along with what would be collective suicide.

And all because Putin wants a bit of land in the Ukraine? It doesn't add up. It can't be entirely ruled out, but it's safe to assume that the risk is very small and that, as you say, this is yet just another proxy war between Russia and the US/NATO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's not just a bit of land though, it's a fight about strategic resources (territories) that Russia considers essential to its survival as a major world power. It's geopolitics at play, and Ukraine is a seismic faultline due to its geography. A broader clash between NATO and Russia hugely increases the chances of a nuclear confrontation, even a limited one, and game theory predicts an upward move on the escalatory ladder.

All of this is unlikely, until it happens, just as the invasion of Ukraine was. Check out Caspian Report for some interesting viewpoints on the geopolitics of this situation.

• Advertisement

I respect that, but I don't think a proxy war between the US/Nato and Russia over Ukraine; and the idea that this would effectively cause the the end of the world, is synonymous.

I don't think the link exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Kaliningrad is a bit of a trouble spot and really depends on whether Russia will go to war about it. No signs yet.. So far, Russia seems OK with western weapons getting in through the west of Ukraine. They can destroy those weapons systems with their own weapons, or capture stuff then look at it perhaps back-engineer some of it to make new Russian weapons?. LPR and DPR forces are constantly capturing a lot of Nato weapons left behind.

Western nations know what kind of weapons that would bring Nato and Russia closer to war, but haven't given it.

I think the US is more worried about China invading Taiwan. They have a special operation. Since the US is giving Taiwan better weapons, I wouldn't rule it out. In the minds of the Chinese, it would be better to invade Taiwan sooner rather than later? Ukraine has definitely changed the world. We're looking at some scary military events now. For a potential World War Three, China and the US are most likely to go nuclear at some point in their fight.

I would say China is far less likely to go nuclear than Russia.

China is willing to wait.

What I didn’t realise until recently was that Taiwan has an island sitting just off the coast of China. How that hasn’t been invaded is a mystery.

Taiwan proper is too strategically important to the West/US and the Chinese know this.

But, same as the West needs to exit from Russian energy use, so too does the West need to stop relying on cheap Chinese labour to produce everything. It’s like feeding the monster under your bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Pelosi currently en route to Taiwan…

Wonder will we see any sparks flying off the back of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Na the Chinese now know that the US is capable of squashing them just like it's weapons are doing in Russia

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She has arrived.

Good on her. **** the CCP.

RT was doing wall to wall coverage on the Pelosi trip earlier. Less than subtle support for China on display.

I still think we're in grave danger of a global war. The new Axis Powers are clearly Russia, China, Iran and North Korea.

Russia will continue to attack Ukraine and destabilize Europe with the energy complexity / perpetual risk of escalation.

China and North Korea will work together to destabilize or imperil western allies in the Far East, namely Taiwan, Japan and South Korea. If China manages to evict the US from this region, the future of democracy in the Philippines, South Korea and Japan is very doubtful.

Iran will take advantage of any conflagration in the Far East by quickly trying to secure the Arabian Peninsula side of the strait of Hormuz, compounding the energy problems of the west. This will draw Israel, KSA and the UAE into the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Russia and China are the equivalent of the Axis powers and the US, EU, UK are the allied powers. There is not a thing new in this because it is the cold war which never really ended. Countries like Ukraine and Iran are prizes for either side. In the near future the Allies could gain Iran as a colony from the Russians who at present own it. Russia could win the Ukraine which is at present the West's colony. It is sad that the Iranians and Ukrainians do not even own their own countries. China could try for something in Taiwan. China and Russia could fall out if common objectives against the West were realised akin to how the West and USSR fell out after Hitler was gone.

The bottom line is I would support neither side in this. Iran, Ukraine and other victims of this are who I support as they cannot get on with their own affairs without some bully planting a puppet regime (who have not got the people's best interests at heart to say the least) in them be it Russians or Westerners. The war in Ukraine is appalling Russian aggression just like Vietnam was appalling Western aggression. Then there's Iraq, Afghanistan, the list goes on and on ... And don't get me started on Africa, a whole continent left to waste due to selfish imperial power play by both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In the near future the Allies could gain Iran as a colony from the Russians who at present own it.

Yer talkin' nonsense.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement