Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

You obviously didn't read it very well then.If they were the only changes you could see I suggest you have a read of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

It shows the 60 terminating on Sir John Rogersons Quay in the brochure available to download on that page.

Also the stop 273, stopping arrangement is to allow easier interchange with the G-Spine I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

So you can't even give me even one example of a change for the worse to driver's hours in this agreement? Speaks volumes.

Furthermore your claim that drivers will have to work a lot more 12 hour shifts is patently false. Most drivers are on the 5/7 shift and they don't do any at all. They're overwhelmingly covered by senior bogie/euro drivers who choose to do them and as I said the percentage of their shifts which will be over 9 hours is actually reduced by this agreement

I can give you several examples of where drivers hours will change but I am not going to do it on an Internet forum for everybody or anybody to see and I don't even know if you work for Dublin Bus.

I never claimed that drivers would have to work 12 hour shifts yet another thing you have not read correctly because that was a different poster.

You keep mentioning that there will be less duties with 9 or more hour spreads which is fair enough but had you read the document correctly you would see that is on Saturday and Sunday only and euro bogie drivers don't work on weekends. But I can guarantee you there will be a lot more duties with just below 9 hour spreads because a hell of a lot of workouts will be done away with.

Again I would suggest you reread the document.

Post edited by Tickityboo on

My apologies. I mixed you up with the first poster I replied to re the 12 hour shifts.

I'm still at a loss as to what changes to our shifts you believe we've agreed to in the agreement. As you know the amount of hours we can work on average per week/ month or whatever remains unchanged.

As regards the length of our shifts, as opposed to agreed driving time, ie. longer breaks or as regards the reduction in workouts, there is nothing in the agreement that mentions these other than the slight improvements that I referenced. It's a matter of opinion as to whether the company will pursue these but either way whether we passed or rejected this deal is immaterial. As far as I can see schedules will still be negotiated with the unions in the same way as before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That has a lot more to do with the basic shortage of available labour in general - It is still going to be challenging for the bus companies to find the necessary staff resources.

The phases require additional government funding too and that dictates the phased rollout to 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I'm a little confused about the turnback arrangements at New Wapping Street in Docklands. One side of that street is on-street parking for local residents - does that mean it will utilise the existing N4 stop for services in both directions (terminating and beginning)? Where will the bus actually loop around. To be honest, there are better places in the area to terminate the spine than this one.

The terminus will be on Castleforbes Road where a new large bay is going in outside Castleforbes House.

Buses will likely use New Wapping St from the Quays and then clockwise loop via Sheriff St to the terminus, returning via Mayor St and New Wapping St.

As I posted in another thread, the stops on New Wapping Street will provide connectivity with DART at Spencer Dock when it hopefully happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

That's strange, why does the map show the G-spine terminating on New Wapping Street in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Interesting. Must be the first route to serve that area since the 15a/b

Also interesting that they are to have a stop in Burgh Quay yet the C Spine didn’t get one

• Advertisement

OK here go's

Early duties starting earlier(change)

Reliefs can start earlier and finish later(change)

Late duties can finish later(change)

One of your 2 early workouts on a Sunday over the 5 week cycle will change to a split duty (change)

Sign on minutes and sign off minutes gone (change)

w.a.c. time reduced by a third (change) all those minutes add up over time.

If you don't think that those changes are going to effect the length of time away from your home and your work life balance best of luck to you but you're in for a rude awakening.

It’s just a mapping mistake.

Possibly the terminus on Castleforbes Road will be just a layover point, but I suspect it’s just simply an error.

They happen.

After watching the output from CIE Dublin City Services and Dublin Bus over the years you tend to realise that not everything is going to be 100% accurate. The same definitely applies to the NTA.

I wouldn’t worry unduly about it.

The C Spine stops on Aston Quay for O’Connell Bridge, and it has a stop on Tara Street just before the lights. It doesn’t need another on Burgh Quay.

The G Spine won’t be stopping on Aston Quay I suspect, but rather on Burgh Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Early duties already start at 03:53, they won't get any earlier.

Reliefs can start at the same time as what's agreed, but must finish half an hour later than currently agreed at 22:30

Late duties can finish before 02:00, which they already do like the last 65b or 77a, and the C-Spines

Sunday early workouts are 50% guaranteed, no change.

Sign on/off is 2 minutes each, grow up

WAC, I agree with you on that

Of the 6 things you think are major changes, only 1 really is.

Only reference to early duties is that duties starting before 5 must finish before 12.30 and those starting before 6 must finish before 13.30. An improvement on the previous agreement. As I said schedules will continue to be negotiated in the normal way. Earliest start on my schedule has been 4.38 for a long time and I don't see any great desire from the company for us to start earlier as journeys before 5am are covered by night shift drivers.

The company may look for earlier starts and later finishes on reliefs but they do that anyway during existing negotiations on schedules. They cannot now start before 11.30 and must finish before 22.30. However we now have a guarantee in writing that shifts that exceed 9 hours will not increase from current levels Monday-friday and will actually decrease Saturday/Sunday.

Late duties can include trips after 23.30. I had assumed this was already the case on some schedules. We now have a guarantee that those shifts will have a 1.30 finish time at the latest. Again these will be few and far between as the vast majority of these trips will be covered by night shift drivers and will require negotiation with unions in the normal way on a case by case basis.

You are correct in that one of our early Sunday workouts can now be a duty with a break. That's one Sunday shift every 10 weeks, hardly life changing. You can still only work 14.5 hours (excluding your breaks) between your early and corresponding late Sunday so no change to driving hours. In addition the latest your early Sunday shift can finish is now 16.00 as opposed to the current 18.00 so it's swings and roundabouts if you ask me.

Sign on/off minutes are gone but these are these are both 2 minutes. Time to turn on/off your ticket machine. Utterly irrelevant to your working day but historically printed on all our schedules for some reason.

Walk around time to check your bus in the morning is changing from 12 minutes to 8 minutes. Again an utter irrelevance to your working day. Ditto with the time allowed to find your bus in the yard after your break which will now be 3 minutes rather than 5.

Overall you're right, there may be some minor change to starting/finishing times when new schedules are negotiated but no I don't think they will greatly alter our work life balance as it stands at the moment. Certainly not enough to reject a 15.5% pay increase to an already decent salary not to mention the three additional annual leave days we'll get to spend with our loved ones

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

If you are in the job, and I doubt it, you are there a wet day.

If a duty starts at 5 it must finish by … watch them all start at 5:05. 😂

You say you work for DB and assumed there was trips after 23:30. 😂 why lie? Why pretend you are a DB driver? This would be something even new drivers would know.

Time to find your bus in the yard, no big deal you say. More proof you don’t have a clue, the new buses bleed the batteries dead when layer up for a couple of days, very common for them not to start on a Monday after not used at weekend. Driver has to go back to depot either get new bus or wait for maintenance to jump start. Expect loads of missing departures first thing in the morning now.

Its ain’t 15.5%, look again and it ain’t 3 extra days holiday. Read it again.

I don’t know what Is worse, you are a Ill informed bluffer or a new clueless driver.

It’s a scandal that this “result” was created, make no mistake it was not voted for, you won’t find any driver who will tell you they voted for it, stolen 100%, well anyway be careful what you wish for, the entire staff attitude has soured, it will be work to rule from here on out, everything by the book and just you wait and see how bad it will become following NTA instructions to the letter.

This deal won’t improve hiring or retention of drivers, the die is cast, so be it.

I've been a driver 15 plus years mate. I've seen several of these deals come and go. Always with the same thing, drivers like yourself predicting the doomsday scenarios with no evidence to back it up and inevitably then things carry on pretty much as before and any changes are negotiated in a calm and reasonable manner.

Yes all early buses will now leave the garages at 5.05am and return at the same time 12.30pm with exhausted drivers at the wheel.

Not familiar with all the schedules across all the routes in Dublin mate. Just my own really. I knew the 23.30 last bus practice had gone so assumed there may have been the odd departure after that time but was obviously mistaken. My point stands about them being few and far between stands though.

Agreement covers the five years between 1/1/21 and 31/12/25.

Awards are as follows : 1/1/21 0.5%, 1/7/21 2.5%, ( drivers will receive these backdated amounts, as well as 1000 euro to cover 20019/20, in the most tax efficient manner possible ( presumably some sort of gift card ). 1/7/22 2.5%, 1/1/23 3%, 1/1/24 3% and 1/1/25 3%. In total 15.5%

Service pay will be replace by annual leave on a years of service basis as follows : 5yrs- 1 day, 7yrs-2days, 10yrs-3days, 20yrs-4days, 25yrs-5days and 30yrs-6 days. So 3 days extra annual leave is basically the average

This point doesn't even merit a response but in the rare event that a bus doesn't start, maintenance are on hand to jump start. 4 minutes at the start of a shift or 2 minutes after break makes no odds anyway. In the event that a delay means I miss my terminus departure time I'll be sent out of service along the route till I'm back on schedule so I'll actually be doing less work.

So because you don't like the result, the election was stolen? Sounds familiar!

Post edited by stinkbomb on

Look you think everything is still going to be rosy and it's not going to effect your worklife balance fair play to you.

But in your earlier post you said you could only see improvements.You asked for negatives and some were shown to you and you conceded on some of them and others you said are trivial.

Sure the few minutes sign on and off times alone come to about 20 hours over the course of the year then add to that 4 mins. of w.a.c time and it's probably closer to 25 or 30 hours that will go towards your 8hrs 50 something spreads that used to be workouts so it's not so trivial.

This deal for me was not about money (of which I don't have a lot of going spare) The first installments don't even cover the rate of inflation it was about not having any more time taken from my home life which This accepted deal will do and there are other reasons aswell which are plain to see but I'm not going to go into them I didn't even want to go into any of it on a public forum.

What's done is done and we have to get on with it. We all had our reasons for voting the way we did.

But I value my home life more than an extra few quid and you can cut back on material things but one thing you can't get back is time with you're family.

Sure who knows after 25 years it may be the kick in the hole to get me out of there.

Best of luck to you and hopefully you'll remain happy with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

It was bad enough when the public was ill informed, now it appears these ill informed have infiltrated the ranks of drivers.

You are NOT getting 3 extra days holidays, they worded it to sound like you are, you voted believing next year you would be getting 3 days extra on top of what you already have, you are getting no such thing, this was a very sneaky bit of work from the unions, you ask for clarification this Thursday from one of the reps, and prepared to feel a right mug, especially when you find out clerical are on 28 days holiday per year.

The deal we rejected by 97% had us hitting the top pay in 2024, this deal pushed it out to 2025, yet again you were take for a mug, did you even read the deal? You gave away all your overtime and got nothing in return, if the deal was rejected we would have got it back to 2024, got a actual extra days holiday and got a payment for losing overtime, you feel like a mug now?

The 2330 departure line, really shows you aint a driver, a DB/NTA shill most likely, no driver could be that ignorant of things like you are. Bus not starting a rare event!! get out of it, it the height of summer, not the cold of winter and dozens will need a jump in the morning.

Anyway the deal is done by nefarious means, you wont find a driver who voted for this, just ask any do they think it was a honest result, you wont be getting any saying it was

Now back to bus connects, earlier in the week a colleague who is close to retirement was talking to the manager, ill paraphrase what he said,

"You're getting out at the right time....... situation with drivers is desperate.........dont know where we are going to get them...........this deal will do nothing to get new drivers, the new work terms will only make it worse.........bus connects wont be rolling out as is, dont have the staff for it and i cant see it improving.........

Personally i do hope the NTA push out Bus connects as planned, it will be a right mess due to lack of staff, and you will finally realise they dont have a clue, you want proof of how bad it is, look at the DB Twitter, for years when a bus went missing it was all ways "operational issues" now they are actually Tweeting "driver shortage" gives you a idea how bad it is when they can no longer lie about it, and it going to get worse

What's a db/nta shill? Any driver who doesn't agree with you? I happen to think that DB treats it's staff fairly well and pays a decent salary. Not a popular opinion among the mouthier element of DB drivers but one that's shared by the silent majority I'd say.

The original deal was 11.5% over 4 years as far as I I know. That's why the increased of 15.5% offer was over 5 years, one of a number of changes or improvements to the document which led to it being voted in having been almost 100% rejected originally.

You wanted the 15.5% paid over 4 years obviously but given the financial position of DB and the collapse in passenger numbers since covid, the five year deal is more than fair in my opinion. This is taxpayer's money after all and it comes on top of the millions needed to keep DB afloat while it recovers, not to mention the tens of millions spent to pay our wages over the last couple of years while we were driving around nearly empty.

There's nothing to suggest that OT is a thing of the past in DB as you claim. DB can't even fill existing and future planned (bus connects) FT positions, despite a high profile recruitment campaign, which they're required to do before advertising for PT staff. This is very unlikely to change in the foreseeable future of full employment. Most sick leave and other unforseen absences are to be offered to FT drivers as OT in any event. Anyway you can't have it both ways. If the deal isn't good enough to keep existing staff, let alone recruit new ones, how is all OT gone? The majority of drivers are lucky enough not to have to work OT anyway. They obviously reckon working 5 days a week is enough.

As for the extra holidays I'll have to clarify the situation with the union but you'll forgive me if I don't take your word for it.

And for the record, 1041 drivers decided on balance that this was a fair deal and voted yes, a majority, whether you like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was reading the TFI website about the G-Spine including info about the 40 stopping at stop 273 on O'Connell Bridge.

I am familiar with that stop myself as it is currently the stop for the 4, the 7, the 7a & the weekday peak 120 from Ashtown to Simmonscourt Road.

If that bus stop was to include the F-Spine routes at that location as predicted from other posters here. Could there any changes to come later on for the other bus routes that currently stop at 273?

Could these routes change to other bus stops along O'Connell St southbound or possibly D'Olier St?

One thing that I can note about the 4, the 7 and 7a is that they currently have a stop nearby the Savoy Cinema at the top of O'Connell St southbound. Would that stop be retained for these routes that go into Blackrock and Dún Laoghaire via Merrion Road?

The 4 and 7s are to be replaced mainly by the B3/4 as part of the B spine, which will be using the quays instead of O’Connell Street. They won’t serve the bridge, instead going straight past it, as the C Spine currently does.

As for the Savoy Cinema bus stop, it’ll likely be retained for the F Spine

... guess I'll take the car today

(add in a couple cancelled 76s, while they're at it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Dublin Bus website was saying that there are roadworks ongoing along the section of road St John's Church to the top end of Sandymount Avenue this week. These roadworks had to divert the C1, C2 and 47 onto the original part of the 1 bus route which takes in the section on the Beach Road. They will finish up either today or tomorrow to resume the buses normal routes.

Does anyone know what these roadworks are being used for in Sandymount?

The 18 bus does not have any diversions on their route when I read the GAI website earlier this week.

There is also a diversion notice on the Dublin Bus website for the N4 bus which will take place during the Garth Brooks concerts in September.

From 22.00hrs until 01.00hrs)

Route N4

Towards Point Village

Normal route to Howth Road, divert via Fairview, Annesley Bridge, Eastwall Road and back on to normal route.

Towards Blanchardstown Shopping Centre

Normal route to Eastwall Road, divert via Fairview, Howth Road and back on to normal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭TranslatorPS

If this is from Liffey Valley SC, there's something up with the 26/40 routes there where they're cancelled at the very first stop, but are then on the system from the first stops outside of LV (2686 for rte 26, 4688 for rte 40, 7755 for L53). Probably something to do with the new stop across the street from the old terminus location.

Just go here >> https://bustimes.org/stops/8230DB004795 >> and click into any of the crossed-out departure times on the live countdown ticker, the "expected" timings are listed from the first non-LV stop.

Ahh I see. Just to check, I did go through the temp stops and they did seem to operate even though it showed up as cancelled. Still crappy that it shows up in the system as cancelled though, hopefully it'll be fixed once the stops get moved to nearer the N4, which I'd only a matter of time

Last time I went there locals said it was water works going on in the stretch of Gilford Road between Sandymount Ave and Park Ave, hence the 18 being unaffected

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

You don’t have to be part of the tinfoil hat brigade to see one problem with only using a phone - lack of charge. There is still room for cards in this scenario, as who wants to get stranded late at night? Also when banks charge 50c a transaction per debit card there is still room for a prepaid Leap card in the market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well first of all iPhones has a feature where you can continue to use Apple Pay even after the phone battery has died.

Second of all, no where in my post did I suggest that we get rid of cards or leap!! I have no idea where you got that idea!

I’m suggesting only that we get rid of cash fares only, as in paying the drivers by coins. While adding the ability to pay by contactless means.

That will leave you with the following options to pay for a fare:

• Pay by contactless credit or debit card, no battery necessary
    • Pay by contactless smart phone/watch, like Apple Pay, Goggle Pay, etc.
    • Pay by prepaid leap card, no battery necessary.

Pick whichever option you prefer.

And if you prefer, nothing stopping you topping up your leap card with cash in a shop or Luas/IR ticket machine just like today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“You don’t have to be part of the tinfoil hat brigade to see one problem with only using a phone - lack of charge. There is still room for cards in this scenario, as who wants to get stranded late at night?”

Thinking about it a bit more, what is more likely to leave you stranded at night? Trying to use a leap card at night , only to realise you forgot to top it up and are out of credit or just being able to use any credit or debit card you happen to have in your pocket.

You are much more likely to forget your leap card or forget to top it up, then you are going to forget your credit/debit card if heading out for the night for a few drinks.

Advertisement