Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you think Dublin Airport is a disaster zone, flying out of Waterford won't help - basically every other airport of scale in Europe is in a far worse state than Dublin, and that's where you'll be flying to!

Heathrow is having to limit its total passengers per day to below what Dublin is handling fine every weekend (100k) for instance. And it's a much larger airport. Bag transfers are falling apart everywhere. All due to too many layoffs during COVID, EU aviation background check regs and, most importantly, poor wages.

Unless flights to, say, Oxford or Brighton in lieu of London are arranged you're going to hit a big airport at one end. And those flights could be done right now on the existing runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

You can be sure they will. €50 or €100 extra for a flight you can get on where you potentially spend less on diesel to get to the airport, cheaper car parking and less time queueing in the airport itself. €100 more to avoid the hassle of Dublin airport is an absolute no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is a complicated situation and the people doing this work will be aware of it. I think that Luton and Stansted were the main London airports when there were flights to the UK from Waterford. Both were well served by rail and bus connections to London. The main selling point about the Waterford airport versus Dublin is ease of use and accessibility. The longer runway provides more options and would facilitate more traffic.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

The biggest saving is time. With the bus and ferry, it usually meant almost a day wasted in just travelling to London and back. With Dublin, it was a few hours on a journey to Dublin and then the flight and, unless it used London City Airport, another train into London. Waterford airport cut hours off those trips. It might not matter for tourists but less time travelling makes a lot of sense for businesses and the people who have to do it. The key advantage that Waterford airport has over Cork or Dublin for people in the SE is time saved.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Comers have made a lot of bad investments as well as good ones. Can only assume that either this is one of the bad ones or else maybe just an act of philanthropy on their part. They certainly won't be seeing any form of profit on any money they invest, if they can even recoup anything at all.

But, at the same time, €20m is nothing to them. If they're mad enough to throw that much at the airport and get the runway extension done, it will certainly be possible to get some skeleton passenger services back running again. With the small catchment the airport has there's potentially scope for some London flights, maybe a couple of regional UK services and a sun route or two if someone is willing to fund them without expecting any return. Something like a smaller version of Kerry without the inbound tourism demand.

It's a shame the airport isn't located about half an hour north of the city up the M9. Then it would have a chance of serving a useful catchment and even taking some overflow from Dublin. But it's actual location down near the coast is hopeless in terms of catchment, so it limits any prospect of greater development of the facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭914

So your solution is to move the airport closer to dublin airport? Closer to it's competition, where we already have people say Waterford airport is too close to Dublin and cork airports but you want to move it closer to Dublin!

You are also not factoring in moving a half hour north, you are on land that is higher above sea level and more effected by fog which causes more diversions/cancellations.

Waterford Airports current location has a 600k population within 1hours drive of the airport, you can not tell me that is not convenient for those 600k people.

If you go back a few posts you will see times posted of how long it takes to travel from Carlow, Kilkenny, goery, enniscorthy, Wexford, rosslare, clonmel, carrick, dungarvan, Waterford and Tramore

Even take Carlow, the furthest away, 1hr 1min to Waterford airport, 1hr 3min to Dublin airport red long term car park, factor in the transport from the long term car park getting through Dublin airport and even Carlow had a saving of 30+ mins

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

To add to this the addition of the Waterford bypass and ring road makes the current airport location a lot more attractive for people coming from the north and north-east of the city. It used to be a ballache to get to for anyone not from Waterford alright but that's not really an issue anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Just keep in mind the 600k is a Rob Cass number that he has never back up and makes literally no sense to anyone who looks at the demographics and a map, there are 450k in the entire South East region based on this years census, you can add in Clonmel and a couple of villages around it but that's not getting you close to the 150k needed. Also putting Gorey as an hours drive from Waterford is extremely ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Some interesting comments...

I'd love to drive at 180kph to Cork to get there within a hour!... but I don't think the authorities would let me.

On a serious note, the new buyers can probably see the benefits post brexit of the location in relation to Europe regarding freight and also the great motorway links to take the freight onwards by lorry (with none of that Dublin traffic), the industrial park that comes with the airport is ripe for a freight sorting warehouse, it is all self contained within the airport.

Also Waterford has been successful in the past, even without a suitable runway so it's easy to see it being more successful in the future - the local population is growing and developments in Waterford are finally all going ahead, the amount of building work were seeing recently is amazing for the city.

Even if it didn't attract new flights, the new owners could easily afford to start an airline, akin to Stobart Air. If I had a billion euros, Waterford airport would make a great toy...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I'd pay the extra €50/€100 for convenience of not having to drive to Dublin or Cork and sure you'd save on fuel getting there. Saving on time travelling. Not seeing too many negatives here if your living in the south east or surrounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Another airport is needed, but closer to Dublin.

People will not drive this distance, even for cheaper air fares.

South Wicklow, near Arklow would be the limit for Dublin population to travel.

I think they have made a stupid investment decision.

If this was a Dragons Den pitch, I would be saying "Im out"

They bought a huge hotel and site near Kilternan, still nothing done with it, only for exercise of their horses.

I recall them asking the public for ideas on what to do with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

You never know, with the north quays development and a functioning airport, they may just build that bridge over the suir they've talked about for years to complete the ring road on the eastern side of the city and it would then be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

I remember travelling to a match in England in 2010 the time of the snow. Our flight home from Manchester got cancelled so the airline said we could wait for the next flight or they’d get us on a flight from Liverpool if we wanted. They looked after the transport to Liverpool and we paid I think it was €30 to get on the other flight. One of the guys with us said he wasn’t paying the money and he’d rather wait for the next flight out of Manchester. We paid the €30 and got a bus to Liverpool and had less than an hours wait for the flight there. Our friend was too mean to pay the €30 but spent €200+ in Manchester airport killing time. He got home nearly a full day later than we did.

Anyone who wouldn’t pay the extra to fly from Waterford is crazy. The time you’d save flying locally would be worth any money to avoid the hassle of Dublin airport.

This is the Waterford City forum. Perhaps you are lost and are looking for the Dublin or Wicklow fora. Waterford Airport is the South East's airport. This isn't a thread about Dublin people driving to Waterford airport.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

It isn't enough for Wicklow people to take a part of SETU, now they want our airport too!

Nah. Just a bit of geographically challenged edgelordism. :) This investment seems to have upset a lot of people and they are coming up with all sorts of reasons why it is not a good thing. An airport closer to Dublin is not exactly the best of them.

Regards...jmcc

Goery to Waterford airport 1hr 19 minutes (1hr to 24 minutes to Dublin red long term) transfer from long term car park to Dublin airport add on another 10 -15 minutes

If you are willing to travel 1hr 40mins to dublin then surely you would be happy driving 1hr 20mins to Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Remember Paudie Coffey talking about this kind of thing once when working with the south east regional assembly. Everything is fine until something comes up that is development for Waterford city. Soon as it does the reasons it should not happen and the blocking tactics start from surrounding counties. I know in the airports case other local authorises are putting money in. But the post above just highlights what Paudie Coffey was talking about. It is a complete, you have something we don’t have so lets do all we can to hold you back attitude. They can’t even see that the government is using this to deny the southeast it's far share. Like the opportunity for a full actual university in the south east was there for the taking and all the benefits that would have come from it for everybody. But Howlin and Hogan just stuck to the same old worn out script leaving the south east lagging behind again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If the flights are there people up the M9 corridor will use Waterford. No question . Re the location - for us in the SE Dublin is the arse side of Dublin- yet we all flock there without issue.

Take knock- I know for a fact people allover the north midlands and north west use it extensively- without the motorway connections WAT is linked to. lol

Are we also forgetting that the current Waterford airport handled 144k passengers in 2008 with turbo prop aircraft servicing Luton, Birmingham, Manchester, Lorient and the BAE146 for Malaga, Faro and Bordeaux.

144k passengers is fairly successfully for a limited runway.

A larger runway with flights to Spain, Portugal etc then a summer service would be very successful and winter your standing London and EU destinations.

That and we can also target tourists in Waterford and the South East region

• Advertisement

WAT seemed to be doing well there for a number of years then various small airline changes and collapses seemed to kill it. Were all the staff made redundant? They seemed to have a good team there which is a shame if lost

Look at the demographics and a map. It isn't simply a case using a population number for counties. Look at the satellite view on Google Maps. Where those populations are concentrated matters. Waterford airport is within a short distance of Waterford City, Dunmore, Tramore and Dungarvan. That's even before the Kilkenny, Tipperary and Wexford hinterland is considered. Galway, as pointed out above, is situated between two major airports (Shannon and Knock). Waterford does not have that kind of competition from two closely located airports. If this investment pays off and new routes are added for Waterford, Cork and Dublin airports may lose business. With the population of the SE expected to increase, Waterford airport makes a lot more sense than simply trying to overload Dublin and Cork.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The negativity is laughable (and totally predictable). The Comers are putting up more money than was initially needed for the various county councils and the government to come on board. The planning permission is already in place. I’m sure the many ministers for Cork, Kerry and Limerick are wondering how they slipped up but this extension is going to happen.

Which brings us to costs and demand. Waterford will be able to take any size aircraft. It is 160 KMs south of Dublin and will have a projected 3-4 flights a day. That means no takeoff delays nor circling waiting for a landing slot and about 40 minutes less flying time on all Spain, Portugal, southern France routes. Waterford, being privately owned, won’t have DAA bureaucracy and union practices to negotiate (a huge part of the sudden delays every now and again, do not kid yourself). In short, huge cost savings and predictable, reliable turnaround time . Exactly the model budget airlines look for.

So why would flights from Waterford be €100 dearer Dublin and, if they are the same or even cheaper who in their right minds would go up the M50 to Dublin Airport when you could stroll into Waterford an hour or two before the flight and chill. ( probably even less if you are very local) ?

Think people are hell bent on the cost of flights since Aer Arann days, forgetting that they were turbo prop aircraft which are going to be more expensive.

Even at that it was often possible to get Aer Arann for under €150 return, larger aircraft and a budget airline are there is no reason that flights would be more expensive in Waterford.

Most likely these flights will not be based aircraft and will be a drop in service meaning the airline will have no overheads with Waterford bar a landing fee and passenger charge, so one would expect flights to be similar costings to Dublin.

And so what even if they were more expensive, I generally book Cork airport where flights are sometimes more expensive than Dublin as I find Cork less hassle than Dublin when travelling with a family so why would others not take that approach with Waterford

I’ve never flown out of WAT but was there any (small) Duty Free/travel shop there at all? That’s one little thing I do like about Dublin. Pick up a few things for the kids or even myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No it was pretty much like the bus station, those flights to Malaga were great at the time. The only negative I recall was they finished them up a few weeks earlier than planned as the numbers were low towards the end of the season. This was 2008 though when everything started to go t*ts up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Malaga and Amsterdam were on bae146 jets, a model built for short runway performance over every other concern. These have mostly been retired since then, so would be a very unlikely option for future flights. And unneeded with a longer runway

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One thing good about Dublin Airport is the transport links from here. Where virtually no direct buses too Cork and Shannon Airports from Waterford

Let's hope for the best, be so nice to fly not having to worry about 3 hour bus/train down from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

I think expectations that this airport will ever have commercial flights again needs to be reigned in a bit.

As a galwegian I am fairly familiar with the modus operandi of the comer brothers which is to land hoard distressed assets, and in fairness it has obviously worked very well when flipping them after a few years particularly in Germany.

I will give you three examples of how they work.

Corrib great southern hotel Galway bought by them in 2015. It was left to go derilect and after multiple fires and was just raised to the ground this year.

Shannon oaks hotel Galway . Damaged by fire in 2011 and bought by comer's in 2015. Has had multiple planning applications for housing since then.

Of most concern to ye should be the case of Kenly aerodrome uk. Bought in 2005 and left to go derilect with again multiple fires on the property. Currently has planning permission for 32 houses .

I am sure they're other cases

Personally due to it's location near the coast i think you will see an application for housing going being submitted in a few years.

Advertisement