Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭914

Whenever a runway is built is the simple answer. If construction was to start now you would be hopefully for summer 2023.

That said at present we don't even know if the runway is going ahead or not. I'm not sure that the full private investment has been resolved as that was due to go to the board, which based on the newspaper report that should be happening soon.

If that's all good then it's down to getting the money from government, which I'm sure will take time.

So realistically at present, who knows when we would see flights, for me there are still too many unknowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

and remember the Government money will be based on submitting Invoices , showing payments etc.... so WAT will need to be spending to drawn it down. So - Investor monies will need to be in place as a cashflow to pay for same while awaiting repayment from Gov.

I doubt that the Gov. will be just issuing a one -off cheque up front.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

If Kerry and Knock can make it work you would imagine there is some market there.

Getting Ryanair in is the key tbh IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No reason as far as I know why they can’t operate immediately- albeit smaller turboprop planes. Have the likes of Aer Lingus regional or similar expressed any interest? I think it would be important to restart something as assuming business will suddenly appear back with a longer runway complete doesn’t seem like a sound business plan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fair points, but im actually not convinced this will happen, i just cant see how carriers as such will be interested, theyre probably happy enough with their current situation, i.e. cork etc

i think waterford should be looking at cargo, for the moment anyway, with the hope of expanding into passenger in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Massive breaking news. The billionaire Comer brothers are becoming majority shareholders for €20m. I can’t post links in the new site, but there are plans to build a hotel and solar farm as well as the extension.

These guys are serious players. The govt will struggle to put the kibosh on this one. We are going to have a proper regional airport lads. It’s happening!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So what is their angle? Seems odd that two Galway brothers would be interested when Galway airport is sitting pretty much idol.

There is very little profit in regional airports so it is hard to see them make a return on their investment, unless it is spin off businesses from the airport expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

The runway extension/expansion may have convinced them to invest. I think that some of the coverage mentioned that it would now have a longer runway than Cork. It also has the advantage of being closer to the UK and the continent than Cork. At least it is some good news.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Location. Dublin and Cork would get most of the passengers from the SE. Waterford as a regional airport for the SE would take a lot of those potential passengers away from Dublin and Cork. Perhaps in terms of fuel, Waterford airport will be slightly cheaper for airlines than Cork.

Regards...jmcc

Ye I get that, but where is the return on investing 20 million?

Lile Ryanair would look for either free or very low landing fee's.

Fuel, airlines will get that wherever is cheaper, so that maybe in other destinations that they fly to from Waterford.

Rental of shop/cafe space, and car parking would be income but would be put back into running and maintaining the airport.

If they go down the cargo route than handling of cargo and aircraft parking could generate nice income.

It is a long term investment in an airport that is having its runway extended. It already has a functional airport so much of the development work has already been completed.

Ryanair wouldn't be Ryanair if it didn't drive hard bargains.

The fuel issue means that aircraft could fly passengers from the UK or Europe to Waterford rather than Cork. Over a lot of flights, the savings on fuel for airlines would be considerable.

Cargo would also be a way to generate revenue as would maintenance and training. The longer runway would help with that too.

Business-wise, the deal has a lot of positive angles.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Mmm… why would two plasterers who literally made billions see value in acquiring an Airport serving the South East that is two hours away from the disaster zone that is Dublin Airport? Maybe they think it can’t go wrong? Maybe they are going to buy the North Wharf and want an international connection.

Anyway, seeing as they are billionaires and spectacularly clever at investing in property we probably don’t need to worry about them.

Rest assured though, the many ministers for Cork will be getting their ears roasted this morning. Possibly the only recourse at this stage will be to get Eamon Ryan in hard and early. You know the angle, green house gases will be lower if people from the SE continue to drive a hundred miles to Dublin. Maybe there’s a snail or something. All is not lost, just the excuses running out of road.

... Business-wise, the deal has a lot of positive angles.

Naw- can’t see it myself.

As Branson once said when he was asked how did he become a millionaire in aviation- he replied “you start out as a Billionaire “!!

Perhaps because it is two hours away from the disaster zone that is Dublin Airport? Most investments are gambles and have an element of risk involved. The ones that pay off often do so because they make something easier for people. This would make it easier for people in the SE to get flights without having to go to Dublin or Cork The more overloaded Dublin and Cork airports become, the greater the opportunity for a regional airport like Waterford.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

If this happens it would be huge for Waterford. With Waterford Port providing container services globally now through Rotterdam. Now the airport expansion. It makes Waterford one of only three places in the country that can provide these to companies looking to invest. On top of the population growth shown in the census, you are seriously looking at Waterford overtaking Galway and regaining fourth place in Irish city terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...we better get cracking with building accommodation, and improving other critical infrastructure, including the local health system so......

...this is an interesting development though

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

Here is the WLR report based on the Independent article. Very significant news with a planned start in investments immediately, including runway extension.

There are even talks with Aer Lingus Regional as well as Ryanair. I think most people thought the pandemic would result in a long-term collapse in air traffic and viability of regional airports. The 'sh*t show' at Dublin airport over the summer means that there is now a big opportunity for a small convenient hassle free airport which Waterford can now become.

I remember in the 80's the location was seen as terrible. It could take hours from Carlow for example, to get to it. The motorway to Dublin, the outer ring road and the city bypass means that this is no longer a problem. I'm sure many in the region would be willing to pay a little bit more for flights from Waterford for the convenience rather than having to put up with the Dublin experience.

The freight and aircraft maintenance element is also important to viability. As others have said, there is a risk in the investment but the future 'seems' bright. There will be push back from the usual quarters though.

Would be brilliant to have an alternative to Dublin. Living in Kilkenny cork and Shannon are just too far away in my opinion. A semi decent airport down the M9 would be a huge draw. Let’s see now if cork don’t hobble it though? I go to England a but with work and would save a lot of hassle

• Advertisement

Galway itself has two good regional airports an hour either side with Knock and SNN. Dublin just over two. Was never very viable for those reasons

Thats true and don't get me wrong I am all for this, I guess I'm just a little skeptical due to the number of false dawn's in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

it certainly is fantastic news for Waterford if it can get across the line..

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Valhalla90

Galway couldn't compete with Shannon when the M18 opened and Knock also took a lot of its passengers! Great news for Waterford! This can be be a turning point for the region.

Don't see much difference here really...... Cork on one side (1 hr+++) and Dublin the other (2 hr++).

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

Airline prices in Waterford would have to be a lot cheaper than compared to before for them to have any chance of success tbh.. Here's hoping !!

There is a lot of 'la-la land' thinking in here.....

...... cheap fares

..... cheap fuel

..... multiple of flights

..... UK and Europe flights

.... discussions with Ryanair and Aer Lingus Regional on-going.

What next is coming ???..... free car parking?? In house Burgerking?? Louis Vuitton retail outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

Do you need to have a chat with someone..

No one expects free parking, but no one is going to be flying to a destination from Waterford that's fifty or a hundred euro dearer than Cork or Dublin..Nothing "la la thinking" about that..those are the facts.. Less of the smart comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

The same la-la land thinking that says Cork is one hour from Waterford? Do you work in the HSE's cardiac care department by any chance?

• Advertisement

Currently on Google maps a trip by car from the clock tower to cork airport is 1hr 55mins.

Clock tower to Dublin red long term carpark is 1hr 46 mins, factor in waiting on the shuttle etc and that would put you also over two hours.

Killarney is only 1hr and 16minutes to cork airport and 1hr and 58 minutes to Shannon airport and Farranfore (Kerry Airport) Airport is still successful, so why can Waterford not be successful?

Some interesting travel times below....

Kilkenny to Waterford airport 47minutes

Wexford to Waterford airport 59 minutes

Enniscorthy to Waterford airport 55 minutes

Goery to Waterford airport 1hr 19 minutes (1hr to 24 minutes to Dublin red long term)

Rosslare 1hr 10 minutes (freight)

Clonmel to Waterford Airport 52 minutes

Waterford City to Waterford airport 14 minutes

Tramore to Waterford airport 13 minutes

Dungarvan to Waterford airport 44 minutes

And all in-between the areas listed above most likely puts 600k population with an hour of Waterford Airport

Advertisement