Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

delete

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You're not in her position though as you chose not to have children.

That's not shouting you down btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Anyone can have someone,but this someone doesn't want just anyone

I can answer as a woman in your situation, but it would be shouted down, as others know better, obviously.

Shouted down = having different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well,the OP asked specifically for womens opinions, but men seem to know better. That is not having different opinions, that is not reading/respecting the brief.

I disappeard because this discussion is a heap of bullshit. I wanted to hear from women in a similar situation and all I've seen are people arguing over having kids. I dont care about their views on it and i tried to delete this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I gave my opinion and I'm a woman. Not all the original response you got were from men.

• Advertisement

Not all, but majority.

Bit weird to ask for womens opinions, and then for men to dispute/dissect those opinions as if the woman are not entitled to their opinion. But thats Boards for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Maybe the OP needs to realise that you cannot dictate who responds to a thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sparksps

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jay432

@jequ0n maybe you need to realise the OP(ME) hasn't replied to anyone because it's aggressive crap that everyone replied. I posted in the wrong forum and deletd the post so take your **** elsewhere. I don't want to read anymore opinions from anyone. A lot of people here need anger management. Not one person was relatable or gave proper advice. Enjoy arguing ✌

Bit weird to ask for womens opinions, and then for men to dispute/dissect those opinions as if the woman are not entitled to their opinion.

You're the one suggesting that men shouldn't have an opinion on the topic, or that their own viewpoints have no relevance. Sure, the OP asked for female opinions, but males contributing to the thread doesn't stop that from happening. Oh, and if the OP had asked the same question, directing it towards only men, you'd (along with other women) be in here voicing your opinions just as much as the males.

The point is that you're projecting. "Shouting women down. As if the woman is not entitled to her opinion." There's been very little if any, of that on the thread. The OP posted to AH.. which everyone knows isn't the place for a serious discussion.

• Advertisement

I don't want to read anymore opinions from anyone.

Then, might I suggest a different medium. Sites like boards, reddit, or whatever are not going to produce the answers you want. They're too open to posters of all types, and on the internet, everyone has an opinion.

As for aggressive crap.. err.. I suspect you're just looking for answers that match your own established viewpoints. I looked at your OP when it first opened up, and there was little there (or following) to suggest a personal issue, or any real personal stake in what you asked. Just another average thread on boards.. and any thread that involves the male/female positions in society, tends to produce "friction" with differing viewpoints.

TBH, Which is what I thought you wanted. To see that friction kick off, because you didn't try to steer the discussion.

Well, the OP said they were specifically asking for women's opinions. It is a straight enough question.

Agree re posting to After Hours is not the best place for either serious opinions and for women's opinions as the majority of posters are men.

OP seems to have realised that and deleted their question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I was not aggressive in my reply to you.. There were plenty of non aggressive replies. Now maybe you didn't like the replies. I'd reply in exactly the same fashion in P.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Men, up to their old tricks as usual.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Then just leave this thread and let us argue.

Posters weren’t aggressive, you just didn’t like their responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I don't think I replied aggressively OP but best of luck with your situation

Well your opinion was at first a smart comment about the OP being the poster's first post, then another "quelle surprise" about the OP disappearing.

You then said you could have offered advice as a woman in her position, when you've posted numerous times about being happily childfree by choice. So, not in her position.

Women have replied and, as is the nature of any discussion, the conversation meandered and didn't just revolve around finding the OP a man.

You view any thread that doesn't agree with your feminist views as 'shouting down'.

Where's the aggression? As for relatable advice, have you considered that none of us are in your position? We can't control that fact that other 37 year old women didn't reply, no more than you can control those of us who did.

I am not sure if the post was genuine from the outset, seemed like a strange first post but we can only take posters at face value that they put their post in the wrong forum and then deleted it, as is their right.

The OP has detailed the reason they deleted their post was due to aggressive replies. To me it looked like the mod deleted it first. I would not agree that all responses were aggressive either, but that is how the OP viewed them.

When I said I could give advice as a woman in her position it is not for you to question me on that either or put words into my mouth- I may be childfree by choice now but that might not have always been the case, so stop making assumptions /'judgements about other people and their lives.

If I said I could offer advice to a woman in her position now, then that is for me to decide if I can. It is not for you to dispute that. The decision to have / not have children is a complicated one and there can be many twists and turns before a person comes to their ultimate decision.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, but I know you're not in the same position as the OP. That point stands.

• Advertisement

It is bafflingly ironic that you tell people that you and you alone can decide whether or not your advice can/should be given while questioning others for doing the same thing.

I think you need to take that up with the OP - they have said they wanted women's opinions.

If I fit the criteria, then its not for anyone to tell me I don't.

So, this describes you?

Are there any single women in their 30s worried about finding someone and having kids? Has anyone noticed that irish men are awful at making an effort? They dont ask you on dates just squeeze u in for an hour for coffee if you're lucky. I've dated foreign men and they make an effort and always talk. I'm thinking of moving abroad!

Very human of you. Find something in life that is so personally profound and transformative that you genuinely wish everyone else finds the secret to life and happiness and fulfillment that you have. To the point you imagine them on death beds having revelations of regret for not having spent their life as you did.

So we can see paragraphs from such people that (emphasis mine) "You need to have kids. It's our entire reason for being. Your legacy will be your kids.". Somehow missing that 1) many people live fulfilled lives without, 2) there is seemingly no actual "reason" for being other than the reasons we find for ourselves, and 3) plenty of people have left legacies small and large not involving children.

Countless 1000s of people find the same effects from entirely different things. And many look at others with the same thoughts as you - that they just wish the world would discover what they have. Or your phrase that anyone without is somehow "ducking their responsibility" - a responsibility they do not actually have - but you have ascribed to them anyway?

Hell you get it in simple things like diets too. Some people discover a diet that works for them - sends their energy and health and well being through the roof - so they can not wait to preach the diet to everyone else. Telling them that it is _the_ path to better health and energy and drive and well being. They can not understand why others do not want to try it. Or when they do try it - it fails to have a similar effect.

Not to mention people who discover things like "god".

I have kids. 4 now. I do not feel they are my "legacy". I do not feel anyone else "needs" to have them because I did. They are life altering as you say sure but not _the most_ life altering thing I've ever done nor the most complex. In fact in many ways it has been incredibly simple and most of the complexities I have heard of were illusory.

All the things that have been life altering to me I discuss very often on this forum. But I never tell anyone they need to try it too or that doing so will enrich or change them. Rather I describe what has been transformative to me in the hopes it inspires others to find what is transformative to them. All the while realizing they might get absolutely nothing from what has been profound for me.

Your experience is your own, but I would imagine you are in the minority.

I personally can't imagine anything that could be more life altering than raising a child.

This is not saying you are wrong however.

It's also not up to you to tell anyone they don't fit the criteria.

Plus, by your own admission, you don't fit the criteria.

I think my post seems to have really riled a few people. My intentions were not to belittle, demean or patronise people.

I was addressing one poster (who I assumed was a young man) who seemed to casually dismiss the idea of having kids. Which is fine, but I just get frustrated when men dismiss the idea so frivolously. I was trying to use emotive language to emphasise the importance of having kids.

I think having kids is the be all and end all of our life on this planet. When you boil everything down that is. I think the fact that people get so riled up at my bluntness shows how emotive it is, and by extension, how important it is to all of us.

No, you've told people who don't have children that their lives have no purpose.

Not everyone wants children to be the purpose of their life.

I think it's a little unfair to take that ungenerous interpretation of what the poster said.

It does raise an interesting question though. What do you think that people who actively choose not to have children want the purpose of their life to be?

• Advertisement

It's a fair assumption based on all their posts.

What constitutes a purpose to life will vary widely from individual to individual, none are any less valid than choosing to have children.

Advertisement