Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apcoa clamped my car

• 05-08-2022 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

My car got clamped in a private complex with parking managed by apcoa. Does anyone know is there any additional charge for late payment? IE can I leave the car clamped for say 3 weeks and still pay the same? Sign mentions only charge of €125.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭JamBur

So youre considering dumping your car in some private car park near the airport for 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 onno

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

When we had Apcoa they definitely charged a daily fee because we used to have a few airport parkers and they'd come back to a bill of hundreds

@JamBur Since we have that one cleared, is there anything productive you can add to my issue, or are you one of those funny smart pants fellas?

@Caranica thank you for your answer.

For future reference- I rang apcoa directly and asked. They said there's no additional charge, just once off payment whatever it says on the receipt left on the car. Maybe it depends on the area then.

• Advertisement

If you are not dumping the car for a holiday then what is the issue with paying the fee as soon as possible?

As a poster above has mentioned the longer you leave it the more you will have to pay.

Why is it so awkward to get straight helpful answer from some people? Why all of a sudden everyone wants to know the history of my clamped car 😂

Ok, here it goes u nosy cows...

I am living in this private complex- I'm one of the tenants. It's nowhere near the airport btw 😂 I just bought a new car and left it in one of the spots that are communal (don't belong to any apartment). The car is awaiting logbook, tax disc, proper valet insurance etc. Also, I need to sell my current car that is parked next to it in the spot assigned to my apt. I don't want that bloody clamp removed asap for a reason that would give me a bit of satisfaction- the longer this clamp stays on my car, the less money apcoa is making on it. As I said, I rang and woman said there is only one charge of 125, no additional charges for late removal. Hope that satisfies anyone that has nothing better to do, but to ask silly questions of 'why this, why that'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭User1998

If you got the clamp removed straight away theres also a chance it could be clamped again. Supposedly they just remove the clamp eventually if you don’t pay. Not sure how true it is. Anyway, you’ve got your answer directly from APCOA. So problem solved, just pay to get the clamp removed whenever it suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Apcoa have the right to tow your car and impound it I think but i don;t they do that in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Really depends on the agreement between the management company and Apcoa. My estate has Apcoa clamping but it's far too lenient. Park in a visitor spot you get a warning to remove it then are eventually clamped but it's just left there until the owner pays. No towing. Immediate clamp if you're reported a second time or caught moving cars around and reusing spaces.

One car was clamped for several weeks which is counterproductive to those that need to use the space.

• Advertisement

As far as I read here on boards apcoa has no towing services available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Where are they going to tow it to? Then if they tow it and leave it stored wouldn't they be responsible for any damage to the car while in their possession?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭josip

So if you'd already rang Apcoa and clarified it, what more confirmation were you looking for from Boards?

If I was you though, I'd get email confirmation. 'Somebody told me on the phone' is going to count for less if they try billing you for hundreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Can you not just contact management company and explain situation. Last house I lived in was a similar situation and you were able to text to book a car into a visitor space for up to 2 weeks at time. Once management company knew it was a car belonging to a resident there was no issue

To answer your question- I didn't have all the details on hand at the time of creating this topic, I couldn't ring at the time and I was really hoping that you gonna see it and give me a straight and constructive answer... More luck next time maybe? 😉

Second part of your post is quite helpful - you are right, better to have it in writing. I suspect however that they won't answer to my email at all or delay it. Also, since I was told so over the phone (they say the calls are recorded) and signs in the area say nothing about additional charger nor time frame, is that not enough? Let's say I do write them an email and they answer after 3 weeks that there are additional charges of 150 euro per day, would they not claim then I was notified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Maximum if clamped and moved to a pound is €150 and then a max of €50 per additional day...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/parking_fines_and_vehicle_clamping.html

Thanks, for suggestion. Tried that route at first. Visitors' parking spaces as well as few others (not really parking spaces, just gravel next to the wall where people can leave their cars without obstructing others) are all taken by tenants. Nobody sends texts to apcoa re parking (subject to visitors spots only), yet I was the lucky one to get jewellery on the car😉 I'm parked on that gravel next to my own 'proper' spot. Management says 'oh it's not us, it's apcoa' and apcoa doesn't want to hear anything about it, just 'give us your money and shut up' kinda approach. So the least I can do is make that clamp have a bit of holidays. I'm not rushing 😎

Yes, that's what apcoa prints on their sings as well. Thing is apparently they've no tow trucks nor yard for towed cars (as per boards.ie users). I think this would apply if a car is towed away due to obstruction etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Appa hoca poha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I’d be careful and ring again for a second opinion OP. Apcoa manage parking in my estate and my exes car got clamped while we were away for the weekend. Decided to just leave it for an extra day and they charged 2 x €125.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. Does it say 125 per day on the signage tho? Where I am it only says release charge €125 and then some irrelevant made up charges for towing cars etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Leave it there until you need the car. Then phone them up and inform them that you are having the car towed to a different location outside the state (country) at your own expense, and ask them if they want their clamp back before it's gone.

They might come to the conclusion that they're not getting paid and will be down a clamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Does this type of thing ever actually get tried or work? Sounds like wishful fantasy.

Yeah, sounds kinda unrealistic, but hey, any idea is a fuel to our brainstorm 😉

I considered different options. most reasonable for the moment imo is to leave it the way it is. I am still using my current car, I might postpone it's sale for a month if needs be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'd imagine he's referring to the likes of an apartment complex, with gated access, and the roads therein aren't maintained by the local authority.

That’s what I was also thinking. And if that’s the case I think this vehicle driver/owner ( unless he/she lives in the complex) is being incredibly selfish thinking to leaving a vehicle there clamped for 3 weeks. Some other occupant in the complex might be having a party or celebration of some kind and a visitor needs to park their car but no spaces available.

For me if I was on the RA committee I would get the clamped vehicle removed to a secured parking lot and charge the owner for the cost of hiring a tow wagon as well as whatever clamping charges that would be incurred.

That will make this person think twice before leaving their vehicle for a length of time in a private complex.

But you can't do that as there are limits to the charges that can be made (see Atlantic Dawn's post) and someone is going to have to pay upfront.

You are only registered from August 5th, you have only started ( and commented) on this one thread and already you are calling people names just because their viewpoint doesn’t concur with yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

How do you figure they make less money the longer the clamp is on the car? Surely it's the same amount of money, but they just get it at a later date.

By private complex I mean blocks of APTS on private land owned by a land owner and not public grounds ie carpark in a town

I guess I'm lucky you are not living in my estate then. Try to read the whole topic for a change, it may help in better understanding the situation. Where would u like me to leave newly bought car awaiting discs and logbook? On the road? Once again, my car is not in visitors spot, also someone having a party is not my problem they can take a taxi or a bus. You'd like some random people to have more privilege than tenants paying big money for rent/ maintenance. What a joke.

There used to be a clamping firm that worked out of the industrial estate where I worked. From watching their offices and vans I'd be fairly sure they didn't have that many clamps. So one that is tied up for 3 weeks wouldn't be making the financial return they'd want.

Thank Goodness I’m not living in the same ‘private complex’ as you. Your attitude stinks here. As I already said, you are 3 days on Boards you contributed to one thread you have made 13 comments and already calling contributors names.

FYI, I have a brand new van on the road. No in’s disc, no tax disc as I’m waiting for procedures to take their course. I do carry my old ins cert as it’s the same policy number. You also said you are waiting for this new car to be valeted? You read what you wrote, who in their right mind buys a brand new car and takes it out of the showroom with it needing a valet?

Now, THAT is a joke.

You are totally wrong here.

First this is my new account, as from having a a long break from boards I forgot my details 😂

I'm not calling ppl names for having different opinion. I wouldnt care less if some had a different one to mine, it's actually constructive. What I always dosliked here was people like u deviating totally from the main subject so that topic that should take max 5 constructive posts becomes an elaborate for 1.5 hours read. PS I know I'm contributing to it now, but i was called to the blackboard, so there u go.

Lastly, my favourite- "you're only new here, so shut up and be grateful" 😁 how much time u want me to spend here on boards to be able to disagree with you?

• Advertisement

Sorry, but nosy cows isn’t calling people names?

Also IF You rang APCOA and confirmed there was only a one off payment of €12, why register on Noards and start a thread on the same topic?

Sorry but by nature I have a suspicious mind and something isn’t right here. Couldn’t you have put a piece of paper in the windscreen with contact details? It is a private complex as You say.

Where does ANYONE say ‘you’re only new here so shut up and be grateful’?

Well, if u have a clamp that's being fixed to one car for certain period of time, this clamp earns 125 euro. If the same clamp is used - within same period of time- on 4 different cars (owners of those cars paying right away for clamp being removed as they need their cars back on the road asap), will make 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You are misinterpreting the OP and derailing the thread.

OP, I think your approach to the clamping company is fine. Have it released when you need to.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

My last (maybe second last 😂) answer to your posts...

Again, you are new here so don't you dare...

People asking silly questions and right from the start accusing me of being bold and leaving my car somewhere next to the airport is not contributing, it only creates a mess in the topic.

You are so scrupulate with apcoa parking regulations, yet you drive a van that should not be on the road, you are supposed to have all your up to date discs clearly visible on the car. Btw, if u transferred your old ins (from a previous car to a new one) I'm fairly sure you should get new disc and new policy number, as that's exactly what I experienced.

Lastly valeting new car... 🤦‍♂️... I'm so, so, so sorry. This car is only new to me, but was manufactured few years back 😁 hope you will forgive me. If I only knew this carries such an importance on this matter...

Nosy cows- it was written with a gentle smile on my face, noticing how some people behave. No insulting intended. You are very gentle for a someone that drives a van... Have a good day pal.

Thanks for support, hope others feel the same. If someone reads the whole thread I think everything is clear here. No point rerouting the subject to 'is the car new or not' and 'why did you / didn't you'. If whoever has something constructive to say, let's hear it, otherwise why would you even waste your time...

Regards.

Hey only NOW you say it’s a new car to you. You never said it was a 2nd hand car. You are right about policies being transferred over but getting new discs cannot be done by a click of the fingers. Also the van is insured will be back faxed so it has every right to be on the road.

You jump to conclusions - where have I ever said I am ‘scrupulate with apcoa parking regulations’? I’m assuming btw scrupulate should be scrupulous?

Last reply as promised. this thread can't get any more messy anyways 😂

The car being new or 2nd hand is just irrelevant to the topic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a legal requirement to have valid discs on your windshield if using public roads?

I'm assuming your assumption is correct 😉

And as always, key points from my previous posts just neglected and not answered to. Inconvenient truth 🙂

What key points?

it is a legal requirement but if stopped one has 10 days to produce said certs at a nominated Garda Station.

And as for being new or 2nd hand relevance? I’d say it is relevant as when you mentioned your new car needed valeting, how was one reading that supposed to know it’s a 2nd hand car?

They only need to have one spare and it's no skin off their nose.

Your logic holds up if they only have one clamp. But they don't have just one clamp. You're not inconveniencing them, or costing them money, as much as you think you are.

I know they don't have one clamp, but hardly they have a surplus of them. Clamp on the back of a van hardly makes any money. Maybe someone from the industry could clarify this. Regardless, this is my little insignificant 'revenge', that makes me feel little better.

Spare clamp? It's not a wheel... You either make money using them or you don't.

Don't get me wrong, I know they won't go under because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lad I knew left his clamped motor in an apartment complex parking bay…not his.

Thought he could ‘tough it out’ with the company .

Came out after about a week and found the motor had been torched!!!!

Strangely nobody had seen anything.

Was about 10k out of pocket……..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement