Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apcoa clamped my car

• 05-08-2022 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

My car got clamped in a private complex with parking managed by apcoa. Does anyone know is there any additional charge for late payment? IE can I leave the car clamped for say 3 weeks and still pay the same? Sign mentions only charge of €125.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭JamBur

So youre considering dumping your car in some private car park near the airport for 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 onno

No

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

When we had Apcoa they definitely charged a daily fee because we used to have a few airport parkers and they'd come back to a bill of hundreds

@JamBur Since we have that one cleared, is there anything productive you can add to my issue, or are you one of those funny smart pants fellas?

@Caranica thank you for your answer.

For future reference- I rang apcoa directly and asked. They said there's no additional charge, just once off payment whatever it says on the receipt left on the car. Maybe it depends on the area then.

• Advertisement

If you are not dumping the car for a holiday then what is the issue with paying the fee as soon as possible?

As a poster above has mentioned the longer you leave it the more you will have to pay.

Why is it so awkward to get straight helpful answer from some people? Why all of a sudden everyone wants to know the history of my clamped car 😂

Ok, here it goes u nosy cows...

I am living in this private complex- I'm one of the tenants. It's nowhere near the airport btw 😂 I just bought a new car and left it in one of the spots that are communal (don't belong to any apartment). The car is awaiting logbook, tax disc, proper valet insurance etc. Also, I need to sell my current car that is parked next to it in the spot assigned to my apt. I don't want that bloody clamp removed asap for a reason that would give me a bit of satisfaction- the longer this clamp stays on my car, the less money apcoa is making on it. As I said, I rang and woman said there is only one charge of 125, no additional charges for late removal. Hope that satisfies anyone that has nothing better to do, but to ask silly questions of 'why this, why that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭User1998

If you got the clamp removed straight away theres also a chance it could be clamped again. Supposedly they just remove the clamp eventually if you don’t pay. Not sure how true it is. Anyway, you’ve got your answer directly from APCOA. So problem solved, just pay to get the clamp removed whenever it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Apcoa have the right to tow your car and impound it I think but i don;t they do that in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Really depends on the agreement between the management company and Apcoa. My estate has Apcoa clamping but it's far too lenient. Park in a visitor spot you get a warning to remove it then are eventually clamped but it's just left there until the owner pays. No towing. Immediate clamp if you're reported a second time or caught moving cars around and reusing spaces.

One car was clamped for several weeks which is counterproductive to those that need to use the space.

• Advertisement

As far as I read here on boards apcoa has no towing services available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Where are they going to tow it to? Then if they tow it and leave it stored wouldn't they be responsible for any damage to the car while in their possession?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

So if you'd already rang Apcoa and clarified it, what more confirmation were you looking for from Boards?

If I was you though, I'd get email confirmation. 'Somebody told me on the phone' is going to count for less if they try billing you for hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

Can you not just contact management company and explain situation. Last house I lived in was a similar situation and you were able to text to book a car into a visitor space for up to 2 weeks at time. Once management company knew it was a car belonging to a resident there was no issue

To answer your question- I didn't have all the details on hand at the time of creating this topic, I couldn't ring at the time and I was really hoping that you gonna see it and give me a straight and constructive answer... More luck next time maybe? 😉

Second part of your post is quite helpful - you are right, better to have it in writing. I suspect however that they won't answer to my email at all or delay it. Also, since I was told so over the phone (they say the calls are recorded) and signs in the area say nothing about additional charger nor time frame, is that not enough? Let's say I do write them an email and they answer after 3 weeks that there are additional charges of 150 euro per day, would they not claim then I was notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Maximum if clamped and moved to a pound is €150 and then a max of €50 per additional day...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/parking_fines_and_vehicle_clamping.html

Thanks, for suggestion. Tried that route at first. Visitors' parking spaces as well as few others (not really parking spaces, just gravel next to the wall where people can leave their cars without obstructing others) are all taken by tenants. Nobody sends texts to apcoa re parking (subject to visitors spots only), yet I was the lucky one to get jewellery on the car😉 I'm parked on that gravel next to my own 'proper' spot. Management says 'oh it's not us, it's apcoa' and apcoa doesn't want to hear anything about it, just 'give us your money and shut up' kinda approach. So the least I can do is make that clamp have a bit of holidays. I'm not rushing 😎

Yes, that's what apcoa prints on their sings as well. Thing is apparently they've no tow trucks nor yard for towed cars (as per boards.ie users). I think this would apply if a car is towed away due to obstruction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Appa hoca poha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I’d be careful and ring again for a second opinion OP. Apcoa manage parking in my estate and my exes car got clamped while we were away for the weekend. Decided to just leave it for an extra day and they charged 2 x €125.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. Does it say 125 per day on the signage tho? Where I am it only says release charge €125 and then some irrelevant made up charges for towing cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Leave it there until you need the car. Then phone them up and inform them that you are having the car towed to a different location outside the state (country) at your own expense, and ask them if they want their clamp back before it's gone.

They might come to the conclusion that they're not getting paid and will be down a clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Does this type of thing ever actually get tried or work? Sounds like wishful fantasy.

Yeah, sounds kinda unrealistic, but hey, any idea is a fuel to our brainstorm 😉

I considered different options. most reasonable for the moment imo is to leave it the way it is. I am still using my current car, I might postpone it's sale for a month if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'd imagine he's referring to the likes of an apartment complex, with gated access, and the roads therein aren't maintained by the local authority.

That’s what I was also thinking. And if that’s the case I think this vehicle driver/owner ( unless he/she lives in the complex) is being incredibly selfish thinking to leaving a vehicle there clamped for 3 weeks. Some other occupant in the complex might be having a party or celebration of some kind and a visitor needs to park their car but no spaces available.

For me if I was on the RA committee I would get the clamped vehicle removed to a secured parking lot and charge the owner for the cost of hiring a tow wagon as well as whatever clamping charges that would be incurred.

That will make this person think twice before leaving their vehicle for a length of time in a private complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But you can't do that as there are limits to the charges that can be made (see Atlantic Dawn's post) and someone is going to have to pay upfront.

Wake me up when it's all over.

You are only registered from August 5th, you have only started ( and commented) on this one thread and already you are calling people names just because their viewpoint doesn’t concur with yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

How do you figure they make less money the longer the clamp is on the car? Surely it's the same amount of money, but they just get it at a later date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement