Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash is important

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What are you basing that on?

My business accounts were audited in 2017, at no time did I feel that I was being treated as “guilty until proven innocent”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You think tax authorities of OECD countries don't exchange information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I'm not basing it on anything other than stuff I've heard so that's why I was asking as much as stating. I should rephrase it as, if they suspect you have been committing tax evasion and probably have some evidence for their suspicion, then isn't up to you to prove yourself innocent so to speak. Auditing you doesn't mean they have suspicions of evasion. I can't imagine you can refuse to show them your Revolut transactions if they have suspicions of evasion.

I agree with you when it comes to an audit, even if your business is cash, Revenue can use sector modelling to estimate what you earn/owe. But we are not talking about an audit here,

The poster’s contention is that by insisting on paying by Revulot rather than cash, he prevented fraud. But having a Revulot payment account is not like having an AIB account here. Since March, Revulot have a banking license in Ireland and if accounts are converted from payment to banking accounts, they are reported directly to Irish Revenue. But if the account remains a payment account, that remains located in Lithuania and Revulot do not report those accounts to Irish Revenue, only to their Lithuanian counterparts. That info may then be shared with Irish Revenue, but you can see where there is room for a fraudster to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Yes.

I know of one person, who works and lives in another EEA country, who got paid for a small amount of work (<€2k) paid into the bank account in his home country, and thought no more of it. The tax authorities in the country were he was living were straight onto him, asking where this €2k came from, and presented him with a bill.

The move towards a cashless society would by no means eliminate tax fraud, but it certainly makes it more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The Chinese social credit system has existed already for years - and people with poorer social credit, aswell as perceived critics of the regime have had their bank accounts frozen in the past. When you remove the option of cash, these people would starve if the government decides their accounts should be frozen. Total control over your life.

We have seen a possible future in China, this is not new. To say it isnt possible is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It's not impossible, but fairly improbable - I think that burglars breaking into someone's house and stealing all the cash in their safe is a lot more likely than Ireland turning into a one-party dictatorship with powers such as you are describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It doesnt take a one party dictatorship to get to that stage, sure all you have to do is convince people its for their safety or the greater good.

Look at what covid was like in this country, some of the most stringent restrictions on movement and businesses in the world with no criticism or opposition from anyone in or outside government. When the media dont question the government you might aswell have a 1 party state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Short term the prospect of a cashless society spells disaster insofar that it places the control of our spending on possibly only three main Banks. This is a very tight Oligopoly which will inevitably force higher rates and charges on their account holders, the competition is too sparse. It is already an ordeal trying to transfer accounts.

Cashless also undermines consumer confidentiality. Your privacy is a human right which a cashless society will compromise, one way or another. All your purchases will be subject to scrutiny, this may not matter to some people, but how do you feel about your spending habits been shared between multinationals who just see you as a money machine waiting to be farmed?

Hopefully in the Long term a cashless society will allow scope for more independent online banks or financial providers, think an evolved form of Revolut or Paypal, who offer complete anonymity on your purchasing. Such new forms of banking will also offer competition to the existing oligopoly which should in theory benefit demand and thus consumer options. As a matter of fact any new purchasing solution which is offering account holders more privacy is bound to be popular.

I also don't envisage an overnight collapse of the cash market. It will always have value to people who value it. The biggest danger to this is the 3 main remaining banks announcing they are no longer validating its' tenure, I just cannot see this happening due to Macro influences such as exchange mechanisms. You could in theory squeeze cash out of a closed economy, but in the capitalist world this is not possible due to the international nature of money valuation.

Money is intrinsically a value system and a medium of exchange. It needs face value documents like cash to enhance its' value to users. The main reason banks want to reduce its' circulation is that their business strategy has identified it as being less profitable and a drain on their resources. The long term retail strategy of all banks is automation, the provision of cash services inhibits this, as it means they need to employ actual people to manage it, the banks don't want that. They want to employ less people and make more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Tell that to Canadian truckers after their Covid protest, or have we all forgotten?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60383385

Doesn't matter if you agree with their stupid protest or not, their accounts got frozen.

Cashless = Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't really see an issue here, countries freeze the accounts and assets of criminals and terrorists all the time.

Ireland are in some way pioneers in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't use much cash, I find it inconvenient for the most part day to day. However if I go out for a night on the beer I only bring cash, its not good going out with your bank balance on your phone and checking the next morning your spend on your phone!

If your a business handling cash it a bit of a ball ache unless everything isn't above board.

I think its inevitable though the extinction of cash and it will be quicker than we expect, Covid sped it up certainly. ATM's will continue to be withdrawn as the usage declines and banks will close branches slowly. AIB mistake was making such a big show of it, if they just started gradually closing branches instead of announcing they are making 70 branches cashless no one would of bat an eyelid. AIB were the first to show their hand, the other banks will be slower with the transition.

These were not criminals though, these were people protesting.

Nope, they were terrorising the people of the locality and doing untold financial damage.

They were criminals.

Their protest cannot trump the quality of lives of others.

Let them fúck off out to an open field and protest all they want.

"untold financial damage" can you elaborate on that?

Perhaps I'm missing something, this was a protest about vaccine mandates for crossing the US/Canada border that ended up being a protest about COVID-19 mandates in general

Truckers blockaded highways and for the most part the protest was peaceful.

Do you believe people protesting in general are criminals or just these guys cause of the stupidity of it all?

Like I think they were ill informed about the vaccines (vaccines are safe) but under no way should they have been forced to take them. It's interesting as they actually didn't need to protest and it would have had the exact same effect (goods not moving)

"untold financial damage" can you elaborate on that?

The City blew their budget on dealing with these fúckíng idiots, which has knock on effect to businesses, housing and society in general.

Do you believe people protesting in general are criminals or just these guys cause of the stupidity of it all?

The right to peaceful protest. That was well breached.

Again, it's not my opinion they are criminals, with the residents they terrorised also filing class action suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Is anyone suggesting that all of society should keep the sum of their wealth in cash at home?

The likelihood of a slide into inescapable tyranny might be small, but the consequences are not.

Total government control over monetary transactions will enable totalitarianism. Organised resistance to any government is impossible if one can be deprived of one's assets or ability to transact by the decree of authority.

I don't care if anonymous and untraceable cash (and the electronic equivalents) enables crime and tax evasion. It's a price worth paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I think the debate is over lads. We need a magnet and a magnifying glass now the use the €2 coins before we head to the shop for some milk or the local for a pint with some change. Cash needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭WealthyB

What about the single mother who donated $50CAD to the truckers protest - when the protest was still deemed LEGAL I might add - and had her accounts frozen? She didn't even attend any protests, she merely donated a few quid to what was at the time a legal protest. A Canadian MP cited this specific case in Parliament.

People who have no problem riding roughshod over the civil liberties of one group, just because they don't like that groups ideals.. They never imagine that one day they might find themselves in the very same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I don't need to run out and buy a magnet or a magnifying glass to see if a text or e mail is fake. The delete button on my phone works very well without having to leave the house. Bit of a coincidence too that the same day revenue are up €5bn the country is flooded with fake money sounds a bit iffy. Might explain the inflation. The lads over at the CT forum will know it. off I go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

You don't need to run out and buy a magnet or magnifying glass now. Worst case scenario is you'll be out a Twix.

Retailers may wish they scrutinised payment cards with a magnifying glass after they've been stung by a counterfeit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There are a numbet of reasons why cash should and will stay

About 3 years ago was in my local aldi and the card readers went down. The amount of people that abandoned their shopping at the till was crazy even those just doing a top up/grabbing a few bits for dinner on the way home from work.

The visa network crashed a few yrs ago too. I remember at a wedding that day and people had ordered drinks at the bar suddenly going around asking friends have any of ye cash i could borrow

With people struggling with the cost of living some will return to cash more as its easier to budget having x amount of cash in your purse. The visual concept of hard cash could help some stop overspending rather than tapping away.

Also physical cash is a great way to teach young kids the value of money. Not to mention the cash in the envelope at communion/confirmation time. Also grandparents love to hand a note to grandkids when the grandkids are heading off on holidaya or even the whole buy yourself something nice in the shop treat.

As the whole concept of cash being dirty/dodgy. Yes it can be questionable paying for something worth thousands fully in cash. But then again crypto has been used for a number of year for criminal purposes so going cashless wont stop that

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

THe sooner cash is gone the better.

For someone who pays their taxes etc I am sick of seeing people not paying their dues while complaining about everything in this country. It was amazing that during covid with so many unemployed and the tax take didn't decrease which goes to show how much money is flowing around with people not paying tax.

Also with the likes of revolut etc it is a lot easier to budget and save

For the scenario's of cash not working. They are tiny and the bigger issue is trying to find a working cash machine if you have to get cash. So the percentage times you might not be able to use a card is tiny.

Cash in envelopes, revolut has kids accounts and easier to teach kids the value of money when they can go in buy their own things without trying to make sure they don't lose the money etc. My kids are a disaster and before the day is even over they have no idea what cash they have or how much they have lost

The reasons to keep cash are tiny, mostly older people won't be able to use as if everyone over 50 is an idiot, then it is reduced to scenarios like above which are easily fixed.

You mean the single mother who didn't actually exist?

Spare me the the absolute horseshít, their protest severely negatively impacted on the lives of others.

Again none of this is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Marcos

This is the thing that some on here don't understand. It's the principle of the thing, not about whatever issue people are protesting about at the time.

This time it was the Truckers Protest in Canada, but what if the Republicans got into power in the US next time and decide to use those very tactics on people protesting Roe vs Wade? Would that be OK? It wouldn't for me.

Cheering because this is done to people who some on here disagree with parallels the views of Trump supporters who say that "He's not hurting the people he needs to be hurting" because they are just the other side of that coin right now. We've seen over the last couple of years how things can change dramatically overnight, the entire globe under lockdown and people limited to 2km from their homes and it was broadly accepted by the majority. If anyone had said that this would happen in 2019 they would have been labelled a lunatic, but it happened a year later.

I've been accused of scaremongering when all I've done is apply a what if, to recent events. Ones that I hope will never come to pass. I don't see why anyone should be denied access to their own money for whatever reason. Others on here have posted the most extreme examples i.e. people being denied access to their own money, whether it's due to government action, electricity or internet cuts or bank failures have all had the same effect

Use the precautionary principle and think of possible ramifications of such a move, while hoping it never comes to pass.

Remember, everything is fine, until it isn't.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

but what if the Republicans got into power in the US next time and decide to use those very tactics on people protesting Roe vs Wade?

Like Trump when he tear gassed a peaceful protest so he could finger a bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Marcos

Yes, but we're not just talking about tear gas here, bad and all as that is. Do you think if he had the power then to stop those protestors accessing their own money he wouldn't have done it? I think he would have revelled in it, and so would a lot of his supporters.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement

Hang on, you stated.

but what if the Republicans got into power

We already know what they are capable of when it comes to protest. They put it down violently.

Lets deal with that point first.

Advertisement