Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash is important

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Other than the over 65 account what free current account is AIB offering?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Have your mortgage with them it free

They also have a free no frills account

I’m no fan of Irish banking and would have loved kbc to stay FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Good. People who smoke or are obese should pay extra, they're more likely to out a burden on our health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

No surprise you've completely missed the point.

Do you ever:

drink alcohol

eat fast food

eat chocolate, crisps, anything with added sugar

run

swim

participate in contact sports?

Well it might seem insane now to say so, but if the insurer can gather any evidence to tie you to activities which could cause illness, or injury, they will void your policy when it comes time to making a claim. All they need is to access your spending history to find a connection to most of the above and society is slowly getting to that point. They already use social media to close down claims. Digital spending records is not a far stretch from SM.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Technology problems can cause electronic payments to fail

Examples

Ulster Bank down for weeks

Vodafone network went down nationwide for a day

When I was abroad my phone did not roam and so did not work for first 3 hours, meanwhile I was hiring a car.

Visa and other payment networks often go down particularly on Xmas Eve.

Broadband often goes down particularly in rural areas during storms and power cuts.

Without online internet most of these payment systems fail to work.

I was abroad and my credit card stopped working. The card was flagged for fraud due to maximum limit cash withdrawals. There was no fraud, just the algorithm suspected fraud and account was locked.

Criminals were using top up credit cards to launder cash along with various bitcoin and international currency transfers. Big business launders billions in legal and illegal ways, not using cash.

To get a loan for a house they require 6 months of bank statements and credit card statements. If you have any signs of gambling (such as bookie payments or bookie app on phone) you are considered high risk and refused a loan. Good brokers tell people to delete gambling apps and only gamble in cash for 6 months prior to getting a loan.

All these companies want to profile users, and if your bank has 100% of transactions they will know how much wine you drink, gym membership or not, and tailor offers and refuse loans based on an algorithm that suits them.

In terms of the 2km travel rule if society was cashless they could check the locations of businesses you use and if a "card present" payment is made to a business more than 2km from your home you could automatically be fined. We already had gardai at crossroads handing out fines and turning people back. They were even turning back pedestrians and cyclists.

Online accounts can be blocked by algorithms and customer service is typically terrible versus a bricks and mortar bank.

My modern phone refuses to run the revolut app, no idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I had to take out a few hundred euro for a tattoo over the weekend, Wasn't sure how long or much it would cost. But it didn't cost as much as I thought. But I have that cash in my pocket and it feels like money, even though I have lot's money in my account. It doesn't feel the same while swiping a card. Looking at and smelling a crisp note from the machine feels like it's worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

I always pay cash for my diesel & petrol the product is in the car so they cant refuse me i do this as the idea of doing every transaction on my phone abhors me.

Just to clarify, if I have a heart attack you're suggesting that my health insurer will renege on paying my hospital costs because I bought a round of pints and 2 packets of crisps in the pub on Friday using my debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Going by your own logic, unless you declare your intention to eat those salty goods and dose your body with a depressant which makes you more likely to become injured, or indeed more prone to heart attacks, then yes.

Insurance companies are catching people out all the time using social media. They have effectively banned our children from running in the school yard. So, next step is for you to sign permission for them to trawl your digital expenditure in the event you make a claim.

Or, you could buy your booze and crisps with cash; keep it off social media and have yourself an insured heart attack 😉

Stay Free

You're talking about liability insurance not health insurance. Companies are rightfully using social media to catch people out from making false claims for non existent injuries.

VHI, Irish Life and Laya are not doing this, and if a 21 year old fitness freak and a 45 year old morbidly obese person both ask the same health insurer for the same product they will pay the same price (unless the age loading applies) and receive the same coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭briany

There'd be practically no serious medical professional in the world who would argue that the consumption of a pint of beer and some crisps on a single night would be a major contributing factor to a heart attack soon after. I should think that the logic would be consistent lifestyle choices over a sustained period of time where the risks are established. Being obese or smoking would be two such examples, but anything that puts you at higher risk of needing medical care down the line could also apply even if aspects of it are regarded as healthy. Sports are a good way to maintain cardiovascular fitness, but some also carry a risk of chronic injury like CTE from rugby or boxing. Mountaineering increases your risk of catastrophic injury as a result of falling. Obviously, a health insurance company cannot raise a premium over every single potentially dangerous activity a person knowingly engages in because it would almost mean that anyone who does not wrap themselves in cotton wool would be penalised and it would all be a bit of a joke, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have you ever had to deal with an insurance company when you made a medium to large claim?

They will fight tooth and nail not to pay out. Trust me.

And while no, they wouldn't renege on paying out because you might have bought a round once in the Nag's Head, but it's certainly not beyond the realms of reality that, if they had their way entirely, that insurance companies could refuse you on the basis of your purchases over time, irrespective of your over all health.

Yep I have and got it paid, as the procedure was covered by my medical insurance policy. A bit of back and forth but got my money in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

That is the way health insurance will go, soon you will get cheaper health insurance if you link Apple Watch to provider so they can monitor you, are you doing exercise etc….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A few mates text me saying they had free beer and food. They said it was a nightmare and you could get no food or beer, people ended up wasting the money they paid to see the game to stand in a queue instead

Yeah free beer and all sounds great but if you have to queue for 45 mins to get four pints in hard plastic glasses that will be flat and warm and spilled by the time you get to your seat while all the time the event you went to see is going on on the field, then it's not as good a situation as it sounds like at first blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

I'd say the aviva made the (correct) decision to give away the goods yesterday instead of pissing off the wealthy yanks, good long term decision tbf and they'll reap it back next visit.

I'd imagine it cost 100k plus with all the free products given out so quite a big loss considering the cost of accepting/processing cash is minimal, the revival of cash is beautiful to see.

off topic - (I even seen a man put on latex gloves to use an atm earlier btw comical)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭irishproduce

It's a tough one. Accepting cash wouldn't have resolved it unless there was an ATM on site with enough for everyone in it.

Selling stuff to those with cash while rejecting others with cards due to technical fault would have been equally as bad if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

The price of sticking a atm in for the day is around 600 quid per unit they hold up to 170k, 3 or 4 of them should be placed around the stadium for future events imo, twas a good call by management to give the stuff away fans and sponors Aer Lingus would've been seething, not to mention the good promo this has garnished the aviva/ireland in.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I would be very surprised if the IDA or someone doesn’t reimburse them. A run-of-the-mill college game between two bang average teams was practically the talk of all the cable stations because the Irish were really sound and gave them free booze.

You can’t buy publicity like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not doing it cause they can't do it. Community rating is law here.

Also, considering that DNA evidence is banned from being used for life insurance calculations here - I'm fairly sure we'd ban dodgily sourced infosets too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I know this topic is 2 weeks old

But I think it's worth bringing this up. Electric Picnic was nearly entirely cashless.

Indeed there are many shops around Dublin which do not accept cash (At All!)

What's the law around this? (Probably as grey as the clouds seeing this is Ireland)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no law requiring anyone to accept cash except in very specific circumstances relating to settlement of a debt. And even that has limits (no bag of tens of thousands of 5c coins etc)

So if you went to a place for dinner, ate the dinner and then go to pay and they say they don't accept cash and you don't want to pay by card or don't have a card. What happens?

The same hypotheticals get brought up every time. That just isn't going to happen, so there is no need for a "what happens" answer.

Very, very few sit down food venues are card-only and those that are make it blatantly clear before you get to order. Takeaway places - well, you don't get the food.

True no person selling goods or services would allow a situation like that to happen and I suppose if push really did come to shove, they'd take the cash (Or indeed anything else of value you could offer in the event of not being able to pay electronically)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think they already do in the US.

I am nearly sure someone in NI does it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

With Dublin Airport IT systems crashing recently, causing 51 downed flights in a day, we're only one glitch away from Mad Max Thunderdome and Bartertown.

If only there were some way to transact abstract monetary value that didn't depend on fallible IT systems...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was an issue at the Aviva stadium for the American football match. Cashless went down. Free beer and food

Slava Ukrainii

Aer Lingus's IT systems (and it impacted Aer Lingus flights everywhere else too). Dublin Airport's were working fine.

• Advertisement

Its illegal here. Only discount that can be offered to an adult is 10% for being a group scheme, that's it. Everyone pays the same price for the same plan otherwise.

Advertisement