Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Awesome!!! Gimme all the Majima!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have Tony Hawks but good month.

If someone wanted to start out with the yakuza series which would be the best game to begin with in people's opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭jj880

Inside is one of my favourite games. Little Nightmares looks similar and with great reviews. Excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yakuza: Like A Dragon and Yakuza 0 are both good places to start.

Like A Dragon has a whole new cast of characters (with cameos from older ones) and basically hits the refresh button on the whole series' increasingly convoluted narrative. Its protagonist Ichiban is IMO a massive improvement over the previous protagonist Kiryu - a real loveable goofball, with a great supporting cast too. The only thing is that its turn-based JRPG combat is probably not as accessible as the brawling of the previous games, and not as refined as the brawling got after nearly a dozen games. It'd be my pick of the bunch though.

Yakuza 0, meanwhile, is probably the moment when the developers first hit the perfect balance between serious and silly in the main series. As a prequel it's also more accessible than the labyrinthine plot of the other main series games. It has aged a tad more than Like A Dragon graphically, but TBH it's a series that has taken only modest technological steps forward since the PS2 days! It's generally more representative of the other games in the series than LaD, set largely in the series mainstay setting Kamurocho (although also features Osaka prominently). As said, the real-time combat may be a better option if you're not into turn-based fighting.

Do be prepared for the series quirks whatever one you choose, though. The cutscenes often drag on for aaaggggeesss, all the games are very slow to start, often very long, and the plots are usually melodramatic nonsense. You're here for the characters, world-building, minigames, ludicrous subquests, and the incredibly accurate portrayal of Japanese cities. I'd also caution that the open worlds are much smaller and less dynamic than you'd expect in western games too... but that's a good thing for the most part :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

8 Yakuza games are getting added to Plus through the rest of the year.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 will arrive on PS Plus Extra in August

Later in the year, Yakuza 3: Remastered, Yakuza 4: Remastered and Yakuza 5: Remastered will arrive ONLY on PS Plus Premium, with Yakuza 6 coming to PS Plus Extra.

Pretty cool lineup except for one elephant.

Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 SHOULD NOT be exclusive for Premium. It goes against what the benefits of the Premium tier are, in that they are not PS1/2/3/P games. They were released on PS4 and as such should be added to the Extra tier. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? They shouldn't be just bending the rules like that, deciding what they consider "classics".

I had to double check what the tier is described as, and it does indeed state;

I know they're remastered from "PS2/3" games but they are natively playable on a PS4, on a PS4 disc, as such they are PS4 games.

I don't like that they're doing this, personally.

Update: I just found out these aren't the only PS4-native games they've locked to Premium (Bioshock Remastered, Borderlands Handsome Collection, etc.). Wow, I had no idea they did that. I think that's really sly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just to needlessly pile on, but go for Zero first and follow on from there in the Kiwamis. I would only recommend the remastered games if you really, really enjoy what you've already played because, as Johnny already said, it was definitely a series trying to find its balance between 3-5. With 3 being the worst in terms of gameplay (beautiful setting, though - even with the unfortunately titled orphanage) and 4 having some of the dumbest story beats (not always the good kind) you'll ever come across.

I'm actually half way though 5 as of writing and it's more of the Zero - Kiwami 2 vintage, so definitely feel like I'm out of the series' difficult teen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

That's as intended. Extra is for games originally released on PS4/5, Premium is for games originally released on older consoles. It doesn't matter if it's a PS4/5 native version, if it was on PS3 or earlier it's in Premium.

I disagree. Remastered games on PS4 are made specifically to be played on PS4 (and above in this case). It should absolutely matter if it's a PS4/5 native version.

The classic tier should remain as such, classic games that are the PS1, PS2, PS3 & PSP versions. That's literally what makes them classified as classics.

Adding remasters into the mix makes no sense.

It's like if I bought a Mega Drive Mini and it came with the Sega Ages version of Sonic 1 instead of the original. There's no reason to have it on there. The whole point of the classics selection was to play classic games, not modern ones or any modern version. Remaster or not, they were made to be played on PS4, and they shouldn't be on Premium. I think Sony should've been very clear on that. Now as a result of this, they've split the Yakuza series into two different tiers, which is a sleekit way of them trying to push people into buying the higher tier if they want to play all of them.

• Advertisement

Anyone know about the Tony Hawk ps4 to ps5 save transfer? I read you have to go into ps4 game, upload the data, go into ps5 game and download it. I wonder if we'll have to download the ps4 version first to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This could be the first time I try a Tony Hawks game... I wasn't into the skater scene, think it was mostly just after my time, so never played them when younger. Probably will be lost on me tbh, but might as well give it a go.

@Zero-Cool These look like the steps...

• Go into the PS4 version of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2.
    • Go to the Hub submenu and go to Options and hit “Accept.”
    • Go to “Upload Save” and hit “Accept.”
    • Confirm the prompt.
    • Download and launch the PS5 version of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2.
    • Go to the Hub submenu and go to Options and hit “Accept.”
    • Go to “Download Save” and hit “Accept.”
    • Confirm the prompt.

Interested to see what you think of it Potential. THPS games are easy to pick up, tough to master but a ton of fun to play. Easy for me to say though as i was always into skateboarding. Hoping to pick up my ps4 save and go for the platinum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ah, am guessing that’s why Heavy Rain is in premium? Always seemed so random why some games in particular were premium when majority (it seems) are ‘extra’

/edit Last of Us remastered is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah think it's simply the path of least resistance for them. The work's already done to get the games playable on modern systems so they stick them in Premium even though they're not the classic version.

Yeah, unfortunately anything originally released prior to the PS4 is in Premium even if it's a native release. You'll notice Uncharted is spread across both tiers too with 4 and Lost Legacy in Extra and Nathan Drake Collection in Premium.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What are the games worth playing on the back catalogue? I've picked up Death Stranding already.

This months Essential games are now live, just have to search for them. Tony Hawks (make sure you select product to make sure you are downloading the right version, PS4 first if you want to transfer your save to ps5 version), Like a Dragon & Little Nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really liked that Stray came with the PS PLUS, great little game. Started Bloodstained and i nearly threw my controller at the screen an hour in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭jj880

Little Nightmares is great. Creepy atmosphere and good puzzles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Stray is phenomenal. Love the decisions they made with this game.

Is Tony Hawk's available yet for Plus members?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭tigger123

If I didn't change anything about my PS subscription when the new system came in, what tier am I on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm happy that I spent the extra money on getting Playstation Plus Extra, so I can play games like Ghost of Tushima (an excellent game) and Returnal. Towards the end of my subscription, I might uograde to Premium so I can play Red Dead Redemption (another excellent game).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yea, extra has paid for itself already for me. I played a few games on my wish list and thankfully I didn’t buy them (WRC10 and Race4). I have been playing Returnal and The Division (both great games) for the last few days plus a few indie games out of curiosity. Pleasantly surprised at the value so far despite the extra €40 on top of lowest tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

A leak going round that Ghost Recon Wildlands will be one of the mid August games for the upper tiers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

No leak for once

PS Plus Extra:

• Metro Exodus
    • Yakuza 0
    • Yakuza Kiwami
    • Yakuza Kiwami 2
    • Dead by Daylight
    • Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    • Trials of Mana
    • Everspace
    • UNO
    • Monopoly Madness
    • Monopoly Plus
    • Bugsnax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Brilliant. I've been agonising for months about whether to get Monopoly Madness or Monopoly Plus. Best month ever.

Advertisement