Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tomb Raider (Reboot)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah they're making a Metal Gear Solid movie, whereas it's far more suited to a TV show imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm kind of nostalgic for the older format of TV shows. I watched all 7 seasons of Legends of Tomorrow earlier this year, and bar an awful 1st season, it was basically an adventure of the week show/high concept comedy, and it was so much fun. Not saying they should go that specific route with Tomb Raider, but it would certainly be something different for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What do you mean how. I am not saying it will be any good but not that hard to make something out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'll be a 2 hour monologue about geopolitics then the movie ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I only played first 2 Metal Gear Solid games

A madam takes over an unnamed country (or name it as in the first game) and then tries to take over other places and a team go in to stop him. Was that not Top Gun 1 and 2. Replace earth for space you have star wars. Take out country you have James Bond, Kingsland, XXX and even Tomb Raider.

As an aside love an up to date version of the first metal gear solid for the PS5

How would it be more suited to a TV show? You could spend more time showing the likes of the Colonel, Mei Ling, Naomi etc, build up the history of Foxhound and give background info to the events of Big Boss, Outer Heaven and Zanzibarland (which was pretty confusing first time playing the game), and give more time to action scenes and the boss battles.

There is a lot in the first game to try squeeze into a 2.5-3 hour movie, and a lot of things that if they took their time with they could really expand upon. And that's just the first game. If it was successful, a season 2 where they do MGS2 would have so potential for a TV season where you could do the tanker section, plus show both Raiden and Plisken's journey through Big Shell.

Again, I'd be concerned that Tomb Raider is too thin to be spread across a TV series, whereas MGS actually has so much content that trying to condense it into a movie means you could lose or greatly diminish so much of the history and background that it ends up a mess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Metal Gear Solid is like Resident Evil in that the truth not admitted by fans is that the story is, to my eyes, utter absurd and ostentatious bollix. MGS isn't fresh in cinema; its subjects have been done dozens of times, albeit with fewer mechs and conveniently naked sniper women.

A direct translation of the story wouldn't work, especially since so many story beats are predicated on things you can only experience or are hidden in gameplay. But I think the MGS story has a decent enough base to build off. It'd need a decent writer though who understands what made the original story great, but can actually make it decent enough that it'd work as a show/movie.

Tomb Raider and Resident Evil are far more generic stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s only thin if you decide to leave it thin. There’s plenty of scope to move far beyond the constraints of the existing stories and make something really interesting. Just using the existing IP as the foundation to build a more interesting and nuanced story and world upon.

Oh, it's batshit crazy (as is the creator, Hideo Kojima.... But not enough to murder Japanese ex-PM) and, if you wanted to basically just take the general premise then you could quite easily adapt. But, in taking out the lunacy, you have a very bland IP.

I never played the Resident Evil games, they just didn't interest me, so I won't comment. And, cards on table, I only ever dabbled in Metal Gear but was enough to know that, yeah, I have no idea what's going on.

I mean, apparently the Uncharted movie is pretty ok (Tom Holland's youth being the biggest issue) because they basically just took the character names.

Of course there is that Halo series but again, I haven't played many of the halo games. Certainly not enough to know anything about the lore.

Tldr: faithful adaptations of genes or any long-form media like books, IMHO are more suited to TV

so... three shite to mediocre movies down (including a "reboot") and the previous movie franchise owner couldn't be arsed making a fourth...

fourth time lucky?

would there be many out there that care at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Each episode can be him hiding under a different box.

Well I wasn't expecting that. That'll tick off a lot of "gamers" and those allergic to Waller-Bridge, but not exactly sure what she might bring to what is, in effect, a very thin universe.

A TV series is the right move though, the movies have been tried and nobody bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

They're saying now it's a show and a film. I'd assume they're trying to set up some kind of MCU style connected universe. I dunno. Not sure I'd enjoy PWB actually playing Lara Croft, but she's a good writer, the first series of Killing Eve was fantastic, and she did some work on the last James Bond film too, which everyone seemed to enjoy.

Then it's doomed to fail cos the universe isn't that interesting, or really exists outside of Lara's perspective. One of those worlds where it's just a playground for the Main Character and that's it. It'd take a stroke of luck or genius to make something cohesive audiences might gravitate towards.

Wonder if Vikander is on the radar to return; might be too expensive, while the actor has probably moved on; Waller Bridge might entice though.

DJ2 are doing the film apparently. They made the first Sonic The Hedgehog film, and are apparently involved in an animated series of Tomb Raider with Hayley Atwell voicing Lara.

The film is somehow going to tie in with the series, so maybe it's going to introduce new characters or something. There's talk of a new game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the other side, the universe as it exists is sparse enough for them to flesh out and fill in the blanks themselves instead of being beholden to established nonsense that doesn't translate from games to film/tv. Having an excellent writer on board can only help that anyway.

Oh there's always a chance but Tomb Raider was just a playground for Lara to run around in, with even less external identity than Indy. Secret societies being less arresting IMO than Nazis. There's always a possibility it could be filled in with interesting characters, especially if Waller Bridge is attached to write, but the precedent for Indy-but-TV shows isn't great. If nothing else Amazon should bring more convincing foreign locales.

Advertisement