Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tomb Raider (Reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it tonight. Would have walked if not with others.

Just so damn boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I loved it, it is what it is. Much better than the Jolie versions that's for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's out on home release now, and out of curiosity thought I'd catch it; it made such little impact or noise I honestly forgot to give it a whirl while playing in cinemas.

Sure, in broader terms it was probably one of the better cinematic adaptations of a video-game, only insofar as its stunning mediocrity still put it leaps and bounds above the drek that populates the genre. On its own merits though, it just flailed around looking for a reason to exist, never good enough to raise a pulse, never bad enough to raise an eyebrow, and hobbled by its studio-mandated rating from embracing the dirt and griminess of the rebooted game. It just tottered along with its box-ticking; even the teasing of a sequel itself feeling a bit half-hearted, while the cribbing of Indiana Jones (admittedly unavoidable given the source material) wasn't particularly inspired either.

In fact it was so perfunctory, I had wondered if this was a licensing ploy; if MGM were about to lose the rights, necessitating a quick film knocked out before time ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I watched it and once again we got the problem with video game adaptations. Trying to fit a game story into a 2 hour movie.
    Like at no point did they actually explain how she was able to solve all those puzzles when it just showed her doing a codex or 2 as a kid. Especially that big one. Nothing actually implied she would know the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I haven't watched it yet.

but it's getting a Sequel..
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/oh-theres-gonna-be-a-tomb-raider-sequel-sure-ok-1834011271
    Oh, There's Gonna Be a Tomb Raider Sequel? Sure, OK

So I'm thinking I better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's on Netflix and it was ... just kinda boring. Wasn't overtly bad but just didn't engage on any front.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I can count on ONE hand the movies in my life I have turned off halfway through. This was one of them.

Was so bored. To put this into perspective, I sat through Suicide Squad. That move may have been awful, but at least it was fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree. I thought Tomb Raider was offensively bad and not just because it's horribly scripted and cheesy as hell....it also is completely devoid of any genuine sense of fun and adventure and honestly just pretty boring.

Someone above said it is one of the better video game adaptions. I though the complete opposite to be honest, that it's up there with the worst of them. It does get better in the last third of the movie but the first third is painful, second act barely watchable.

At least some of the classic video-game stinkers have a sense of fun about them that you can sort of scrape some guilty pleasure enjoyment from. This is just a totally sub-par, bad movie.

I was watching with friends so we got through it but there's no way I would have gotten past the half way mark on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I agree. I thought Tomb Raider was offensively bad and not just because it's horribly scripted and cheesy as hell....it also is completely devoid of any genuine sense of fun and adventure and honestly just pretty boring.

Someone above said it is one of the better video game adaptions. I though the complete opposite to be honest, that it's up there with the worst of them. It does get better in the last third of the movie but the first third is painful, second act barely watchable.

At least some of the classic video-game stinkers have a sense of fun about them that you can sort of scrape some guilty pleasure enjoyment from. This is just a totally sub-par, bad movie.

I was watching with friends so we got through it but there's no way I would have gotten past the half way mark on my own.

Seeing your AVI. reminded me that I would defo love to see a Max Payne 3 adaption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I remember Max Payne being kinda awful with some decent individual scenes. Will have to watch it again to get a proper sense of where it stands in the video game adaptions! But I think as just 'a movie' without thinking about the source material, it wasn't horrible.

• Advertisement

Bumping the thread, cos bizarrely this is getting a sequel. It gets further odd though, because Ben Wheatley is tipped to direct. His frequent writing collaborator, Amy Jump, is also on-board to write

https://deadline.com/2019/09/tomb-raider-sequel-ben-wheatley-director-alicia-vikander-lara-croft-mgm-march-19-2021-release-1202710550/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wanted to like it but this was a horrible movie. No sense of fun to it at all, just really tacky. Bad as they were, the Jolie ones were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

pixelburp wrote: »
    It gets further odd though, because Ben Wheatley is tipped to direct

What the hell?!?!

Well, people said the last one was boring, safe to say this one's unlikely to be!

I can believe one of that partnership taking a chance on a Hollywood Blockbuster, Wheatley has directed Dr. Who so he seems to have some measure of fondness for pop-culture, but both he & Amy Jump?

Can't see how the two of them won't clash when their inevitably edgy script clashes with the executives getting cold feet. If nothing else I suppose my interesting in a Tomb Raider 2 just shot up 1000%.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Misha Green To Write/Direct Next ‘Tomb Raider’ With Alicia Vikander Reprising As Lara Croft

Misha Replaces Ben Wheatley

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Misha Green To Write/Direct Next ‘Tomb Raider’ With Alicia Vikander Reprising As Lara Croft

Misha Replaces Ben Wheatley

I never really expected Wheatley to see this one through.

Misha Green was the show runner for Lovecraft Country. I found it a bit hit and miss as a series but individually lots of the episodes were amazing and it certainly had a very distinct style.

I'm more interested in seeing this version than I was in the Wheatley version, to be honest.

They'll keep trying to make this series happen I guess. The IP is just caught between two stools of being a trashy t&a indy Jones ripoff, but corporate owned and too valuable to its owners to not be a bland, 4 quadrant $150 million vehicle. But being a ripoff limits the appeal of the character; I know the reboot games are well thought of, so not sure if they add more charisma or character beyond "sassy, with daddy issues"

So this has been dropped completely now and apparently its heading for another complete reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It seems MGM lost the rights to it because they didn't start filming within the window they needed to start filming to keep the rights.

Maybe Amazon when they bought MGM this got lost in the shuffle.

The movies themselves were never box office smashes in anyway shape or form.

It might be better suited to a series than movies if they try and film it again.

At this stage they might be best trying their hand a TV series than another Indiana-Jones-but-not film. The Vikander film was the definition of mediocre.

• Advertisement

A few weeks ago Vikander said in an interview that Amazon buying MGM had left them up in the air and she didn't know what was happening with it. So the news it's been dropped completely isn't surprising.

These f**king mergers killing off so many things these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Tv series would work much better. Something like Blood and Treasure where you have Lara searching around the world for one treasure every season

Oh it'll be back. Mergers can mean stuff gets shuttered but I'd be surprised if this doesn't get a TV attempt. Especially if the Amazon Fallout TV show works out well. Suppose it depends on how valuable the Tomb Raider IP is seen to be.

Sounds like you quite enjoyed the Vikandar film?

I think it was alright but obviously have been better. I'm not sure I had strong feelings one way or the other, I was more interested in what Misha Green was going to do with it, having enjoyed a lot of Lovecraft Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, her writing would've given us a completely different thing to the last movie.

Ah, fair enough re. Green. Bit cautious myself these days of people with imagination getting hold of IPs. Haven't seen Lovecraft Country but had heard it didn't lack identity. Feels we're a long, long way past the days Tim Burton got a blank cheque to make Batman and its sequel. Think the old exception of late night be Noah Hawley allowed to make an Alien TV show, and even that's still a WIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know if a TV series would be the best move either. I don't know if Lara is a strong enough character or has a good enough story. Plus part of the appeal would be the locations and stunts, and the budget of a TV show would likely make all of that horrible and cheap.

I'd say a Netflix or Disney+ movie would be the best course of action. Reduce the budget and pressure of a big theatrical release, but not stretch it out so thin that it needs to support a series.

When I think Tomb Raider TV show my mind goes straight to one of those 90s or early 2000s TV shows like Relic Hunter. A different location/adventure every week, but it's just the same Styrofoam rocks shot from a slightly different angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Much more suited to a TV series. Disney have a "National Treasure" TV series coming out but, if it's anything like the (goofy guilty pleasure) Cage movies, they'll be family friendly romps. That leaves space for a slightly more adult series. I'm not saying go down Game of Thrones route or even a particularly violent angle but simply something a bit more serious and in depth.

And not even the perma-outraged anti-woke brigade could complain (Although I'm sure they'd find SOMETHING to complain about).

But yeah, it is much more suited to a TV series. And not a "tomb-of-the-week" type thing but maybe "Tomb-of-the-season" type thing. TBH, as said above, most game adaptations would be more suited to TV rather than movies. Certainly streaming services where they can put in the money and have 6 or 8 episode runs per season. Uncharted, Mass Effect (Much too big for a movie) etc. I mean if studios can take a slim novel like The Hobbit and turn it into about 24 hundred hours (it seems) of movies including a 2 hour sing-a-long-washing-dishes scene then how do they think they can compress a game with hours of back-story into one movie? Especially single-player games created in the last 20 years or so. My God, I think one of the Metal Gear games had one cutscene alone that was over 1 hour long

• Advertisement

We can't be that far from the point po culture starts rebooting 2000s properties anyway, so Relic Hunter Tomb Raider may not be that far away!

Advertisement