Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Will the general public know the list of candidates for the job and will the candidates have their backroom teams picked at that stage. My first choice would be Henry followed by the camogie management team, followed by present management team plus one and lastly Derek lyng. First two choices might be unlikely. Anyway whoever gets it will get full backing from everyone. The Sunday papers suggested there is always a long barren spell after an iconic Manager e.g. Ferguson and Micko, I hope we can prove this wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I would go for Henry and then Lyng myself. Henry due to his year in Galway and Shamrocks connection but will he do a Cahill last year and turn it down if offered. Personally i dont think Henry would turn it down. As for Lyng he has just won the U20 and has experience at senior level. I think he would be ideal if we needed a major rebuild. As for the Camogie Management team in all respect to them its a totally different game. The current backroom team have to be looked at but i am totally against a joint manager approach. That has not worked anywhere. Other than this your looking at DJ and Eddie.

TBF to Brian he has left us in a far better position than if he had left us after 2016 or 2019. Whoever comes in has the nucleous of a team capable of winning an All Ireland. Retiremnets and players travelling may alter this though.

TBH for KK hurling 8 years next year will be a barren spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Brian Cody saved the county board more than a million euro during his reign. For a lot of the years he operated on a shoestring. Times have changed and its obvious that many other counties are spending vast sums on managers and backroom teams. For the first time in 24 years we'll need to spend a lot more if we're to keep up.

The County Board need to assure the prospective candidates that the finance is there. Otherwise some, if not all, will be turned off, particularly Henry as he already has put a price tag on himself.

I hope those interested in taking over don't agree to do it on a similar shoestring to B Cody. It won't do into the future. The danger is that the Board will happily appoint someone who will cost them little, even if they aren't the best candidate.

great post and it is something that crossed my mind. I dont think the best financial candidate should get the job but also i dont think we should be breaking the bank. Its a very fine balancing act.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't know about Henry, I'd still have a big question mark about him as a manager. I know he did well with Ballyhale, but, that team had some outstanding players for a club team. I wouldn't have been that impressed with his management of Galway this year, the team really only performed against Limerick, very poor in Leinster final and Cork really should have beaten us. Cody got the absolute best out of Kilkenny this year, hard to see anyone get anymore out of this Kilkenny team. Limerick are the benchmark now, similar to Kilkenny 10-15 years ago, Kilkenny need to improve again next year ( as do all teams) if they are to stop this Limerick team.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Plenty of candidates in the county, any external candidates anyone would consider?

seen brennan, dj, brian dowling, fennelly, herity, lyng and shefflin, mcgarry/comerford all mentioned so far. My preference if shefflin wasn't available would be for comerford and the rest of the backroom team thats currently there to be given a go

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Martin Fogarty my preference. If he's interested..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Not sure. I would have thought a little younger ... Have no idea what difference that makes though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Martin Fogarty with DJ Carey.

Dont think Derek Lyng will take the reins if his intention was to stay with the U20s considering most of those are underage again this year.

Looking at the below starting U20 team in the alll ireland final this year how many of these are available to Lyng next year?

I know a lot of these are available again and this might have a part to play in Lyngs decision. Maybe someone can confirm exactly whi is unavailable to Lyng in 2023.

1. Aidan Tallis (Lisdowney)

2. Niall Rowe (Dicksboro)

3. Seán Purcell (Windgap)

4. Padraig Lennon (Carrickshock)

5. Joe Fitzpatrick (Dunnamaggin)

6. Pádraic Moylan (Dicksboro)

7. Paddy Langton (Young Irelands)

8. Killian Doyle (Emeralds)

9. Andy Hickey (Dunnamaggin)

10. Timmy Clifford (Dicksboro)

11. Denis Walsh (Dunnamaggin)

12. Peter McDonald (Thomastown)

13. Billy Drennan (Galmoy)

14. Gearóid Dunne (Tullaroan)

15. Harry Shine (Dicksboro)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think a statue would be appropriate but Cody is a humble man. Maybe not a full life size statue but something different.

Maybe two big bronze hands open and a silver glob of spit suspended over the open palms ready to be rubbed in. This could be put on a stone plinth outside Nolan Park and everyone will know who's being celebrated. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Realistically if he is 63/64 he's probably too old to be a successful intercounty manager.

Cody was probably the oldest all ireland winning manager back in 2015 at around 60/61. Similar to Jack o connor in kerry This year

It's a younger man's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭brookville

Tallis Purcell and moylan overage as far as I know

Think Hickey is overage. Not sure about Purcell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

The spend on intercounty is scary at the moment. With limerick having the equivalent of a man city backer.

Small things make huge differences. Before the all Ireland a member of the limerick backroom team had a sack and he poured out 3 heaps of sliotars on the 45 maybe 50 balls in each heap.while up the other end rackard was throwing out individual balls to players.

Our captain from what I here also had a tough week. They were given €500 per player clothes voucher but had to source everything themselves travelling around the country looking for matching outfits. Just seems a needless distraction. Maybe the quick turn around between simi and final added to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Kilkennyboy

I am 73 years old and I have supported Limerick all my life. I heartily agree with you we are well resourced now.

However, until about 15 years ago we had the most hopelessly funded county board in the country. We had to have Home/Away matches with Clare time and again to try to bolster the empty coffers. Even the poorest Clare teams, over the decades, have always proved hard to beat in Ennis. Gallingly after beating us there they often collapsed spectacularly in the next round. I might mention that Tipp went to Ennis back in '86 and lost by a point, as we also did there the same year. The following year Clare returned the compliment and went to Thurles and a draw with Tipp ensued. Clare asked them to play the replay in Ennis. As Cork and Limerick pitches were both unavailable, it should have been an easy decision. However, Tipperary correctly opted to play the game in Killarney, despite the huge inconvenience involved for their supporters and were not seen in Ennis, until '18, when the Round Robin Format forced them to go there. I might also add that Cork also did H/A with Waterford, back in the day. However after defeats in Walsh Park in '67 and '74, when they ended with 14 men each day, they stopped going there too. Kilkenny themselves had a H/A arrangement with Wexford, but one or other of the sides thought better and for decades Croke Park became the automatic venue for their meetings.

I think it is also significant that no real Home based organisation has sponsored the Limerick teams ,except Maddens Milk, a small dairy, when sponsorship came out first. At one stage we even had to get the Mid Western Health Board to sponsor our team. My point is we may be benefitting from JPs largesse now, but for years we certainly were underfunded in relation to Cork, Tipp Kerry or indeed most of the main counties.

Anyway, I honestly think that if all this sponsorship had been stopped Fifteen years ago this Limerick team would still be top of the pile now. As Mick Mackey said of his great side of the thirties and early forties, 'a great crop of talented players just all appeared at the one time'. This phenomenon was just repeated about 85 years later.

Good post and i dont begrudge Limk the sponsorship. My issue is other counties chasing this at the expense of underage developement in their counties. I think probably outside Dublin and Cork other counties struggle for money to keep up with Limk and putting themselves at financial risk. I think it needs to be addressed before some county goes broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

(Tipp lost by 2 pts in Ennis in 86 and not 1. Both Tipp/Clare games were in Killarney in 1987 and the drawn one was not in Thurles--i was at all of these. Limerick lost by 2 goals in Ennis in 1986 and not by 1pt.) this has nothing to do with KK GAA either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree, the costs are massive now, you can see with the great Dublin football team and now Limerick it makes a difference, they want for nothing and it gives them the best chance of success. Other counties aren't so lucky, most counties including my own ( Galway) are struggling to keep up financially, our footballers were struggling for a sponsor only a few years ago until Supermacs stepped in ( think they even went a year without a sponsor) and we'd be considered one of the more attractive counties sponsorshipwise in both codes, so hard to see how other smaller counties are managing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lynn and Gorta for me.....they had a huge input this year and appear to be very well versed on the present tactics. They also know this group of players which is always a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭red_diesel

With senior/intermediate club games starting at the weekend, anyone know if there are any plans to stream matches this year? Thought it was a really good initiative during Covid with benefits post Covid also.

Any news on ticket arrangements. There was talk of no cash at the gates and no concessions. Hopefully the County Board had a rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭brookville

I see where galway are having a fundraiser tomorrow at the races and Henry and Mark landers are guest speakers. I'd be shocked if Henry gave up galway to come back to kk.

Derek Lyng looks in pole position for the job but there will be pressure on straight away. We see in other sports it's doesn't always work out although Tyrone broke a trend with their management. There will definitely be people who would prefer to let the dust settle for a few years.Some of the lads in the frame also know they wouldn't get the kinda money which would be available in other counties so this could deter some.It might be no harm if Peter Barry and Rice stayed with the u20s if Derek did take it. I would hope to see someone like herity brought in as a goal keeping coach for a start. I Actually think we're a poorly coached team and its a testament to the lads that we pushed Limerick with all their quality coaching and resources and that would have to give us supporters optimis.Our puckouts are atrocious a lot of the time and I'd be suprised if we ever worked on puckouts. Hopefully the county board had an idea this was Brian's last year and they had some kind of plan in place but I'd be suprised if they had any sort of foward thinking.

Ideally we need an interview process and not just give it to this lad or that and hope for the best. Club starting this weekend so the county board need to get their finger out.There should be no Stone left unturned. I heard where Lyng had to push hard for a second s&c person to help John Murphy at u20. There's no doubt they don't like spending money but things like this shouldn't be questioned.

I'm looking foward to the club this weekend and I'll try get to a few. I know a few clubs will be down lads for a few rounds because they're in America. I heard mikey butler picked up a serious enough injury the other night. Hopefully it's not too serious. Someone here from olg might know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Hawkwing

Basically- Tipp refused to renew a Home/Away agreement, as they put the interests of their own team first. They were dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Finance isn't deciding all ireland's but certainly can't be disputed alot of top teams are well resourced, 2 small things come to remember after Dublin got ambushed by Donegal in 2014 they brought in a basketball coach from DCU and his remit was basically help break down blanket defences, with Limerick told from a good source if any of their players need to go to Santry with injuries its usually from a helicopter journey from Adare Manor, this stuff would be out of reach for other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I've heard Gorta, McGarry and Phelan have thrown there hat in the ring and with our county boards aversion to spending money I think they would favour the lads over Derek. Derek has rightly tried to raise the standards at the U20 level and has been pushing hard but it wasn't until this year he got his players gym access which is absolutely bonkers. The gym they get to use is the new gym in Kierans which can only have about 12 players at a time not ideal for squad of 30+. Kierans own the gym but the county board have access to it after 4pm during the school year I assume anytime during summer if needed. While anything is a help the fact that the U20's and any grade below that can't get access to a gym easily shows how far off the reservation our county board are in their thinking of what a team today needs. From what I've heard Sean Kelly and others have spent a decade pushing for gym access or creation, for our younger players and this undersized gym was the most we could eke out of the County Board. Look at Dunmore as our "centre of excellence" the only thing it has going for it is flood lights.

The fact the county board have stuck with Glanbia who have got the best sponsorship deal in history, when other companies are falling over themselves to get a piece of the Kilkenny brand beggars belief. Every county would love a JP who has so much money he can just throw it at your setup and wait for the results. We don't and likely won't ever have that kind of input from an individual. I know for a fact that there are companies who have offered in the past multiples of what Glanbia give to Kilkenny in sponsorship. There's a reason Wexford and Waterford moved away from Glanbia sponsorship years ago and that is, it's not very good. Glanbia are a global company now with a global outlook and while their based in Kilkenny and their roots are here and the south east they really have moved beyond looking at the local on the ground issues as being of much import. I don't blame Glanbia this is a legacy issue for them, they have always done it and I'm sure there are still Kilkenny people on the board advocating for it to be retained. However they see no huge value in it for them hence why their not willing to offer anymore.

Personally I think the county board needs to change our sponsor and to get in more money from those deals and use that to resource our teams setup. We could hire a full time S&C and bring in some top hurling coaches for the senior team at the least. I don't really mind who gets the management job as they'll all bring passion and drive to it but for me it's the backroom team that will make all the difference and whether the county board will resource the new managers vision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Great interview and insight form Eddie and Mick Fennelly

Advertisement