Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭De Bhál

coming down Shantalla Road last night and will be turning right onto Beaumont road, 50m or so from lights which have just turned orange, I'm turning right at the junction ahead so getting into right hand side of the lane is the place to be, check over shoulder, Dublin bus lamping it a bit behind, i'll stay put thinks I, red light, bus reaches lights and barrels right around the corner through a well cooked red.

Brutal and dangerous driving through a very residential area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That whole junction is a disaster, has been for years with people trying to cut through Beaumont House and the garage to try and skip the lights

Yeah, It's a disaster. I've nearly been taken out of it before by someone doing BOTH at the the same time.

They were heading out of town when their light turned red, and skipped through the garage, crossed the road, then barreled through the BH carpark. The fact that the East-West traffic lights turned green meant they had to gun it slightly to make it into the carpark, which is what made me notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

The driver tried to explain that it was my fault she attempted to drive over me as I wasn't in the bike lane and was cycling too slowly holding her up. https://streamable.com/h3eiki I cut it short as it's mostly me and the driver cursing at each other which I'm not proud of at the end and you can't hear the driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

Ridiculous - she's practically in the junction there. Thats not swords road by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you were cycling too slowly towards a red light.

It's in Leixlip just at Intel.

I tried explaining that too but it was no use in her mind I had no right to be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Asshole, she goes across all the solid white lines and blocks the pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I had someone beeping me out of it. Probably thought I shouldn't have been on the road. Ah well, I took my time and completely slowed down without a care in the world.

Ok has the same useless bike lane that veers off to the left if you want to go straight on. A good spot for dumb f**k drivers to beep you out of it if on the road going straight lol

• Advertisement

Thats it and it's another argument why poor/bad infrastructure creates more issues than it solves. The cycle lanes all assume you want to go into Intel here if not you lose priority and have to negotiate 4 junctions vs keeping priority and 1 junction! The other side isn't as bad but I've given up using it as the merge back to road level is often blocked with cars/vans but the haters don't see that just a bike in their way and lay on the horn/punishment pass to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah it's a pain in the hoop along there.

Infrastructure that assumes a cyclist should stop at 2 pedestrian crossings (and cycle through the pedestrians?) to continue up the main road.

Before that point you've to cross the construction site enterance. Where I've had a couple of rows with bus drivers and the useless stop/go men.

Then invariably pedestrians walking on the bike lane around the roundabout. Then bike lane changes into just a white line at Lidl so every jackass comes in on top of you if a car heading right for Lidl.

The other way is as bad. Cycle lane just disappears at the roundabout and again pedestrian crossings at Jones. Lot better after Jones Eng. That's the only bit I use......

All conspires, as you point out, to drivers thinking you're in their way and should use the useless bike lane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Of interest (and probably to @tnegun and @Seth Brundle ) is the proposed scheme to upgrade the cycle lane ending at the roundabout, but from the other side. As far as I can make out, it will be segregated as you approach the roundabout, with no easy merge back onto the road to continue straight through toward Maynooth. Instead you'll have to come off at the pedestrian crossing into the queue of traffic (see below).

Experienced cyclists who know the area will probably move onto the road and take the lane from the business park entrance where the cycle track will be level with the road. But some giant bike signs on the road would be useful to let drivers know that not all cyclists can use the cycle track to reach their destination here. Consultation is open until 19th August.

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/consultation/section-38-roads-traffic-act-1994-proposed-interim-cycle-scheme-r148-station-road-leixlip-intel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Had one going down the Feltrim road yesterday and the turn to kettle's lane. It's right after a downhill so I wasn't going slow but one car had overtaken me safely between the bottom of the hill and the upcoming junction.

The next car I glance back and appears to be keeping back only to pull out and overtake me onto oncoming traffic at the junction, barely missing the oncoming car in the other lane and nearly forcing me into the cars waiting to turn onto the road.

What goes through these people's head? I get overtaken on that road on solid white lines going into blind bends or hills every day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cheers - quite a negative submission just made to Kildare Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

I get similar on this route. All you can do is take the lane which seems to discourage all but the loonies, but you probably already do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭I told ya

Last Wednesday saw two MAMILS cycling at speed on the footpath on the Upper Glen Road in the Phoenix Park, adjacent to the closed part of the road. They almost got hit by two pedestrians. Luckily for them the pedestrians were able to jump onto the grass verge. Very close call for the cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've taken to taking the lane when I can see oncoming traffic and up hills and bends but unless you're almost crossing the lane it seems some of them will still give it a go. The bigger the vehicle seems to be almost the worst.

Any chance you have a copy and could you share what you submitted I always struggle to try to articulate this sort of stuff properly! I'd put my own spin on it just to use as a template/guide would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sounds like a close call for the pedestrians, as being a path, they are legitimately on it, while the cyclists were not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

Made a submission myself about a month after it opened and it was clear how **** it was. I highlighted the loss of crossing points for pedestrians and cyclists across the M4 arm of the roundabout, the lack of clear route to continue towards maynooth from leixlip, and the danger introduced by the placement of tactile paving at the new dog-leg on the downhill approach from the M4, particularly in cold and frosty weather. and the danger introduced by the extra lanes for anyone trying to cross the road. Copied councillors on it, and they raised questions to the executive in one of the monthly council meetings. The response was essentially "It's done now, we're not changing anything"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Absolute w*nkers, particularly when they have the whole closed road beside them to use. Hope someone gave a roar at them

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Christ that's a bad one. Besides shouting like you did, the pettiness in me would have loved to move back in front of her and take my leisurely time in moving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I had a driving school car giving instruction at the time try to pass me on a pinch point bend, with on coming traffic. A safe pass at distance was impossible. I was in a cycle lane and moved out ahead of the bend to prevent an overtake. The vehicle slowed only directly behind me, passing safely after the bend.

I did l not know it was a driving school car until it passed. This was poor reading of the situation by the instructor, and sending the wrong message to the pupil.

I stopped at the next lights to question the instructor about awareness of road users and not telling the pupil to back off passing on a bend. His attitude shocked me. He said I should have stayed in the cycle lane, it was OK to pass me and I created the issue. I tried to explain that a safe distance pass could not be effected at that point without crossing over the centre line, which was not possible with oncoming traffic. Also did he not think overtaking a cyclist at a bend is not advisable. This was the reason I moved out, to take the lane, which is good awareness on my behalf. Basically he said that I must stay in the lane and he was permitted to pass I got a bit irate at his attitude and said his awareness of cyclists and knowledge of the rules of the road was sub-par for a professional instructor. I left after advising the pupil they should not waste their money with this school.

Is it possible to make a complaint to the RSA about the standard of instruction given by professional instructors? I have video and audio of the instructors comments. What hope have we got if passing cyclists correctly is not thought at foundation level?

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've not heard of someone doing so before, but their callcentre number is 096 25000 if you want to try...

Good one this morning cycling the canal path along the Nangor road and a white van with hazards on pushes past!! I know access is needed but with the road noise I never expected a van to pass me on the tow path and I could easily have moved out to avoid something on the path and gone under him. I think I'll message waterways as there's no way they should be passing cyclists doing 30kph there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Nothing I know off in Ireland but could be a good one to forward on to Ashley Neal on YouTube for some commentary and added exposure. He's a driving instructor in Liverpool and often does driving instructor tuition and general road safety and offers some pretty balanced comments, he's getting into cycling now also which should be interesting.

Post edited by Dr_Colossus on

• Advertisement

Not the worst pull out but I was already slowing from 55kph or so https://streamable.com/kyzwj2 I caught up with him and tried to be explain from my perspective but he told me to f off you can only hear his passenger saying there was loads of room! https://streamable.com/g9uj9d . Just an asshole but my blood was up from the van and I nearly caught him twice https://streamable.com/id5rsj . This mornings pass on a dedicated cycleway!!https://streamable.com/3qphpc

Advertisement