Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sinbadthesailor

Would anyone have any idea if OPW (Dublin George's Quay) offer blended model and what it is in summary? 3 days remote 2 in office for example? Considering Mobility offer but need something approaching clarity 🤔 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I know that their main office in Trim is doing 3 WFH and 2 WFO since returning to the office but the official policy isn't in there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sinbadthesailor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

When I did a survey on blended working policies (which I think was back in early June?), I only had one response identifying themselves as working in the OPW and as adelcrowsmel says, the person who responded said it was 2 days in the office, 3 WFH. That might vary depending on the nature of the work, though - an engineer, architect or surveyor might well have stints where they need to visit offices/buildings (even if not "their" office) more frequently? But for admin staff, it still seems to be 3WFH/2 office. I'd give their HR a call to check, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Officially it's 2 days WFO and 3 days WFH but that's not being rigidly enforced. If you have a sound line manager they rightly won't care where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

Anyone know the blended working policy for the courts service?

Post edited by mtb_sends on

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Lots of sections of Depts don't have blended working because it's not operationally feasible.

I'd imagine that is applicable to a lot of the courts service.

@HartsHat I should have mentioned I'm talking about their current ICT vacancies. I would have thought the ICT department was the most suitable for some form of blended working from an operational point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some ICT roles are among the best around for remote working, others (deskside support, etc) are the worst.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Can anyone explain to me the “standard office hours “ thing . Like who takes 1 hour 15 for lunch?

can they enforce that as long as you are doing your 7 hours a day and minimum half hour for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s a holdover from a bygone age. The vast majority of places have flexi time so it’s not an issue. Others have local arrangements (ie the boss/bosses are ok as long as the work is done)

But they can enforce the official hours if they want

Exactly as above...it's a legacy thing from before flexi-time was introduced but if Management/HR ever want to enforce it they can. At the moment we are still working flexi hours but not part of the new trails etc....but I imagine if/when a decision is finally made after the flexi/blended working trials are finished then a decision will also be made on what hours you can work if not technically on the clock anymore if that's the way it goes for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd say they're probably limited in the amount of WFM they can offer, but I don't think it's actually true that they can't offer it at all because it's not operationally feasible.

As far as I understand some of the Courts don't sit on Fridays for example, they might work a late Thursday and then Friday could be a lot more flexible.

I think employers are going to have to look at how they can facilitate WFM home in the future if they want to hire and retain staff. That might prompt some changes in how certain bodies operate.

Certain Districts Courts sit on Fridays. Even when Courts are not scheduled to sit the courts are open because the actual time the court is scheduled to be in session is just a fraction of their work. For example the courts still need to be open for the filing of pleadings etc.,

Any citizen facing roles are hard to make WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Therefore it's possible to allow staff to do some of that work remotely, or doing it on a rota basis.

But you're right that citizen facing roles are that bit more tricky to facilitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

My friend works in the Trim office and he said in both Trim and Georges Quay it is 2 days in office and 3 from working from home.

Although there are some local arrangements going on also.

Also, if it is deal breaker from you, at the moment there is no flexi leave in trim office, would asume it is across board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Don4214

Can confirm there has not yet been a WFH policy for OPW. Still 3 days from home and 2 in the office without any flexi. The chairman has always come across as a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to WFH and has always seemed against it which has concerned staff. Some frustration that the flexi option hasn't been introduced too as it's holiday season. No guidance as to what the delay is but the fear is that the policy is for more than the current 2 days in office which would be inappropriate to introduce during high Covid numbers.

COVID numbers are irrelevant as these policies are for non pandemic working.

Depts can and will deviate from the standard policy where epidemiological circumstances require.

Id be surprised if any Dept allows majority days WFH once we are post pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Don4214

There have been plenty of policies published favoring WFH already.

You might be correct regarding covid not being to blame for the delay with the policy. I dont think there has been any communication so who knows.

• Advertisement

Mine has been published.

It's 2 days in the office / 3 days at home with flexibility allowed over a four week period.

Flexi trial to include accrual of flexi leave whether WFH or WFO is beginning shortly.

I saw somewhere here on this thread that someone who works for Revenue said their policy will allow them to request 1 day office attendance minimum per month, NSSO someone said 20% WFO, so 1 day a week in the office and Dept of Social Protection will allow 4 days office attendance minimum per month. All these will be role specific of course but at least they are allowing staff to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

My dept still haven't got anything decided yet, but I know DAFM announced theirs a few weeks ago which nobody else seems to have posted about here!

Theirs is a max of 2 days WFH (40% for non fulltime) and only for suitable positions, which makes sense with the veterinary & food inspection sides, but local management can allow a bit of flexibility even in the non-WFH positions like allowing admin stuff to be done from home apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

Hi All.

Just wondering have all Departments who will be trialing the new Flexi leave accrual been notified? And if so when is it commencing?

I think someone mentioned previously Revenue were going ro be one of the departments.

Are there many others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

It’s starting from next Monday the 25th July

With the re-introduction of ‘flexi’ core hours are back & can’t start before 8am & 35 hrs within the 5 day period.

There was much more flexibility without the ‘flexi’ as you could start at 7am and clock in / clock out as often as needed during the day once you had your 35hrs done each week over the 7 day period.

Post edited by nhg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nico1990

Saw the Forsa bulletin in my emails this morning (Not around long enough to be allowed to post the link) and I have to say I'm increasingly disillusioned with the state of affairs regarding blended working. I'm currently a clerical officer in a Garda station but since March this year we all have been back in the office full time and there's a good few of us waiting for this policy to be implemented. Without getting ranty, we are told nothing or updated on anything and now this latest news is yet anther morale blow. I understand some people love working in the office 5 days a week etc but I came to love the better work life balance working from home and indeed found myself being far more productive.

I've been a long time lurker of this thread but haven't seen much in the way of other people working for the Justice Department and i'm unsure as to whether it's the same policy throughout the country or depending on management as regards working from home so any input would be appreciated as my colleagues and I are completely in the dark.

I presume you mean this article linked below? This delay only refers to the law that the government are due to introduce across the boards for all workers - so it's aimed at the private sector. The Civil Service/Public Sector policy framework was published in March so there is no delay there...the only delay for you seems to be with your Department altering this document to be specific to them and their staff and releasing this to you - I would imagine that would be at the latest by September for everyone but maybe I'm being optimistic.

https://forsatradeunion.newsweaver.com/designtest/1gtb9c3exaf?lang=en&a=1&p=61914322&t=30063856

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nico1990

Yes that's the one thank you, I really don't know I'd be surprised to even hear that a document specific to our department is being worked on apologies for moaning like but getting copy and paste vague answers from Forsa along with management refusing point blank any sort of engagement on the matter plus we will possibly be losing our civil service status over the coming months is a bit hard to take and makes me personally feel and assume that we will all be thrown under the bus and told tough back to your desks and that'll be the end of it. But sure can always hope there is some sort of correspondence out before the end of September with a bit of luck. Thanks anyway for your response its helpful hearing others outside the organisations thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

My advice re AGS and flexible working would be to look for a transfer out of AGS or into a section that's mostly staffed by civilians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

I used to work for AGS and worked in the office five days a week, no option for blended working. I have recently moved to another department and really dreaded the thought of it. I loved work in a Garda Station. It's only when I left (TCO to CO) and started working in an office where there is blended working and that there is so much communication between staff and management. In AGS we were always the last to know, if we were told anything at all. While I did make great friends in AGS and swore I would try to get back, the option for blended working will keep me where I am for now.

Advertisement