Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mo Farah is not Mo Farah

• 11-07-2022 11:19pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well wasn't expecting this twist:

BBC News - Sir Mo Farah reveals he was trafficked to the UK as a child

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Heard on the radio just now , fair play to him

should be an interesting doc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looks to have been pretty comfortable living a lie over the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Can see it now.

"...To cope with the pain I took to epo injections, the additional red blood cell production really helped with acceptance of my situation..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A child was smuggled into the UK and basically held as a slave, and some of you are now blaming the child????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mo Farah is fairly safe now in that he's a Sir, won Olympic medals and it happened as a kid when he couldn't possibly be held responsible. Hopeful there isn't any consequences for his teacher who helped him source the passport so he could travel to take part in schools competitions.

I'm sure there was articles previously discussing his twin brother, was that actually his brother and how come the detail about his dad bringing him to the UK didn't get spotted as fake at that point, seeing as his dad was killed when he was 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

He tends to go missing when certain people call to his house alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So he, as an adult, took a knighthood under false pretenses.

Should there be no repercussions?

Should he not have refused it and/or come clean at that time?

He has lived a lie all his adult life. I see no merit in that. Quite the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Priti Patel will have him on the next plane to Rawanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This is not the only lie hes been living with....

...maybe he is building up to reveal the whole truth....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Do you really think that backgrounds are not gone over with a fine tooth comb before knighthoods are given?

I don't see how he's lived a lie? He was taken into care by social services as a child when he confided in a teacher. From that point on officialdom knew his background. If he chose not to share it with the public - that's his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Had to turn off the documentry after 5 minutes.

I just don't believe a word he says.

He should probably refund anyone who bought his Autobiography

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What i don’t like is that he seems to be sensationalising things as his sporting career winds down. He had a hard upbringing one way or another. I don’t find him endearing but that doesn’t change much. I’m not overly interested in his story or whatever version he has currently decided to tell (with his team)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Can anyone who read his autobiography outline the version of his upbringing he gave at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Trafficked into slavery as a child but he shouldn’t be talking about it as no one cares and he probably deserved it because he’s a cheat - am I getting it right? Jesus this forum gets worse every time I visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Hi Lisha.

He has inconveniently not been at home several times when drug testers arrived. There's a lot of suspicion that he dopes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wouldn't trust his ''aunt'' or that other Mo Farah, if that is his real name...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Big admirer of Mo, but never considered him English/Britishs anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Not sure what to make of that. Given he was trafficked to the UK at such a young age under a false identity, I would have thought it would be hard to trace all parties involved. But every piece in the jigsaw was located (with one not wanting to comment when contacted).

He’s coming clean now because he was about to be exposed, I assume?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

So did he lie about his age when he was in or enrolled for school. He says it was 12 when he started school but stuff about him 11 when in school.

This is same bbc who said he’s a drug’s cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

So is he a drug cheat or not, there's subtle remarks here but is this what the 'hint hints' comments above are referring too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seemed like the documentary had been filmed over quite long while, didn't seem like a rush to get something out before being exposed. Had a trip to Somaliland with his kid discussion with wife about having lost contact with the "aunt" and discovering that there was a real Mo Farah at the school seemed to be news to him as well and discussing it with his family in Somaliland and another trip to Djibouti as well.

Didn't read the book, but previous story was that he'd travelled to the UK with his father from Somalia, not Somaliland which I think might not have been a recognised country. Stuff about his dad being killed hadn't come out before, but there had been journalists speaking to his twin brother before but he kept that bit about his dad secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭notAMember

Just to put that in proportion, as far as I remember he missed two tests, one in 2010, and one in 2011. Those are the tests where the testers show up at your house. In that same period, 9 other british athletes also missed two tests. He claimed to be using noisy high altitude training oxygen machines at the time and couldn't hear the doorbell. But either way, nothing ever came of that. Is 2 missed tests a year apart, a decade ago a lot of suspicion? Form what I remember it was the red tops hyping it up.

The story about him being trafficked is so shocking. It's verifiable, so I doubt he is making it up.

Advertisement