Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mo Farah is not Mo Farah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

More than missing the doorbell twice.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/mo-farah-would-have-had-to-miss-doorbell-ringing-several-times-over-an-hour-31317988.html

There's more than that allegations he received injections of the controversial supplement L-carnitine before the 2014 London Marathon.

His relationship with his banned, on doping charges, coach Alberto Salazar.

The Haile Gebrselassie Hotel story shows him in a poor light.

It wasn't red tops who questioned Farah's credibility on PED's.

Any word on juicing in the documentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭cmac2009

If you have some time then this is interesting in-depth read about his late development and the various controversies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement

Did he ever get his doorbell that he couldn't hear once of those 5 times fixed?

His Donegal agent even made and submitted a video about not being able to hear the doorbell up the top of the building!

"Farah" admitted lying about knowing dodgy coach Jama Aden when in fact he knew him for many years - why lie there?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Farah has been an inveterate liar over the years. There is every reason to suspect that this is another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not according to the program I watched. He told his PE teacher when in school. He was trafficked as a domestic slave. What is odd is it has taken nearly 20 years for the story to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not at all, it was a puff piece about how he was trafficked, there was nothing critical in it about him at all.

Kind of funny to now think that Chapter 1 of his autobiography on how get got from Somalia to the UK is basically a work of ficton. The doc also showed a short clip of him on the Jonathon Ross Show where Ross asked about his family background and he lied there too, Id guess there were many more media interviews where he told the same lies to journalists about his background.

Anyway if Farah was taking PEDs he has basically gotten away with it now. It puts huge question marks over anti doping in athletics if he got away with it for that long at the very top of the sport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For what purpose?

The visa he initially travelled on is shown, his family in Somaliland is shown (and was already known about before but they had kept quiet), the lawyers looked into his status and confirmed that there was a genuine risk of him losing his British nationality (although Olympic medal and knighthood protect him somewhat from that).

What would he have to gain by making up such a story as this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why do the two things need to be tied together with the accusations on doping having anything to do with him having been trafficked as a kid and obtaining UK citizenship in slightly unclear circumstances?

Nobody denies that Lance Armstrong cheated in cycling, but that has absolutely nothing to do with him having survived cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I don't know about that. There are levels of doping too.

The rider who came 20th in the TDF in 2005 probably doped. But he wasn't on the Armstrong top notch regieme. Some seem to have a blase attitude to doping, let them at it, they're all doping etc. Firstly i'd say i wouldn't think they are all doping. There are serious health risks involved etc. You look at Flo Jo etc dying of heart attacks at a young age. Young cyclists getting heart attacks from EPO thickened blood putting pressure on their hearts. Some are intelligent enough to know they could be doing themselves irreparable harm.

Also saying they all dope fails to recognise that doping isn't a level playing field, those with the most money will have the best regiemes and methods of hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The thing is with Armstrong, towards the end of his career when the drugs question was prominient he hid behind his cancer experience and charity work and muddied the waters.

It looks like that doucmentary last night was a foreward of something else that's coming, it wouldn't make sense to reveal all that and have nothing more from or about him again.

Often a deflection angle is put out prior to a doping story. Try and muddy the waters.

Like the way Armstrong turned Kimmage's 'the cancer of cycling has returned' into a spiel about his great efforts to fight the disease of cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd be very surprised if we are going to hear Mo doped. Or that he will admit to it. Not a chance.

This guy is the darling of English athletics. He's a Sir ffs. Can't see him ever admitting to being a doper.

In athletics I firmly believe the vast majority dope. Its just that some haven't been caught yet, or have retired and will never be exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Again though, I'd see his childhood experiences as playing a huge part in this. Imagine being a child taken away from everyone and thing you know and ending up in a strange country and told you had a new name and nobody could know your old name. That you had to lie to people - that the adults who took you away from your family and had control of your life in this strange place told you to lie and never tell anyone your real name or about your real family? That fear runs very very deep even into adulthood. Once you start with a lie it is very difficult to roll back on it

I fostered young people for a London Borough, I never had an unaccompanied asylum seeker but my friends did. One girl from Africa was very secretive about her background and people that she knew in London. The huge difference in her new life - she'd never seen escalators and was scared of them and had never seen a cooker and oven, they cooked on an open fire at home. Try to imagine the feelings that come with that change of life at such an early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The conflation here between his origins into the UK and doping accusations is bonkers.

He’s not a doper, and won’t be admitting to be something he’s not. This has 0 to do with his entry into the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Research is a skill. There are actually people out there who do it for a living. There’s a lot more involved than a quick Google and clicking on page 1 of the search result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That’s not the way the documentary format (film or TV versions) works. If anyone is ‘lying’ it would be the director. Don’t think Mo directed a doc about himself (although like many others here I haven’t actually seen it and could be wrong).

Not a Mo fan by the way, just a professional researcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Lazy observation on your part.

He is perhaps the most successful long-distance runner in British history and the first British track and field athlete to win four Olympic gold medals.

In 2017, Mr. Farah received a knighthood for his services to sports from Queen Elizabeth.

There are many reasons why victims of abuse don't reveal that abuse but clearly the fact that Mo Farah did not reveal he was stolen from his family as a child and trafficked to the UK had no affect on his services to British sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I knew Mo Farah personally. He is 100% a doper. It isnt a coincidence his agent isnt in the documentary. Same agent that took Mo in from the streets before his agent was a rich super agent

I am not sure Mo knew he was doping when he started. I have always thought that someone close to him may have organised it. I have my suspicions who. It wasnt his agent as he started to distance himself once he become sure he was doping and Mo is the reason he has gone semi retired

I knew most of this story in 2005. He told me that he was from Somaliland. I knew he had a twin long before it was common knowledge. I sense some of the "story" now may contain some half truths

This story coming out now has nothing about him hiding what happened when he went to Salazar. It is about his wife wanting attention. Dont get me started on her. She is a horrible piece of work. That story how she became part of his life should be the documentary. Mo was infatuated with her a teenager and she bullied him and treating like dirt until he came into money

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats an excellent article and eye opening the way Farah always stood by Salazar even when firm evidence of him being involved in doping came forward. Its speaks to me that Farah knew his success was down to Salazars doping program and he wanted more success himself so turned a blind eye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I used to like watching the various athletics championships, olympics etc. Can’t watch anymore because I just don’t believe in it. It’s hard to think that any elite level athletes are clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All the tests he has done that came back clean mean nothing to folks who so want an athlete to be dirty.

It's not particularly unusual.

Plenty of people track down lost relatives. Adoptees track down their blood relatives all the time, often from the other side of the planet.

Given that Farah is famous and wealthy, this all becomes much easier.

Read about BALCO?

Anyone with any knowledge at all knows NOP was filthy as hell. Listen to the people who left because they refused to break the rules

• Advertisement

Farah knows these people years. He has been visiting Somaliland for at least 15 years.

He has told me about these trips

Here is a story from 2013....and its a lie as I know of trips back to Somaliland dating back to 2016

This was essentially a Hello magazine piece directed by his wife. Loads of half truths

Advertisement