Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ozark [Netflix] (***SPOILERS***)

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The fbi knew and didn’t stop it but didn’t arrange it, it was the sister

The internet isn’t for everyone

I don’t think anyone would take the series seriously, it’s a nice escape from the real world for a while

I think you might be over thinking the entire concept but each to their own and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Just finished it tonight. Overall I mostly enjoyed the series but it gradually ran out of steam for me, the last few episodes were a bit of a drag and the finale in particular was botched imo, sh*te ending.

It's draining to watch tbh because none of the Byrd's are likeable, I get that they're probably not supposed to be but that still gets tiresome after a while. The Sopranos was full of murdering mobsters yet the characters were still likeable in their own way. Not the case here. Marty, Jonah, Charlotte and (especially) Wendy, not a single redeemable characteristic between them.

Disappointed the Byrd's and in particular Wendy, didn't get their comeuppance. Seems a total cop out. Ruth was the only one of the main cast who seemed to be the most decent at heart and deserved a happy ending. I never liked the Byrd son throughout the entirety of the series, I just thought he was a poor character /badly acted, so for the show to end with another one of his moments, ugh.

Also, Camilla, what the hell was this character? She spoke in a normal voice in her first few scenes when Marty is in Mexico running the show in Omar's absence. Then the veil is lifted and Camilla is revealed as the big villain, and all of a sudden she speaks on this raspy, almost Batman like voice? It was irritating to watch and the actor did a terrible job, it was jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Couldn't get my head around the fact Ruth got out of her car with no gun knowing full well she was in some sort of danger. Lazy writing.

Pretty crap end to a great show.

The true victim of the whole series has got to be Three Langmore! He lost literally his entire family and he did feck all to deserve it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had no clue about that rapper. But the final song she was listening to is a hugely respected song from the early 90s, reminiscing over a friend who died. I thought it was a great choice.

They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Reminisce_Over_You_(T.R.O.Y.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mdRv0ZdR8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The ending for me was open ended as in who did Jonah actually shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

😁

It certainly leaves it open to a further series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Just finished this last night.

Disappointing final season and ending.

One minute Navarro wants Marty/Wendy dead. 10 mins later they pull something out of the bag and they’re friends again. This cycle pretty much continues every half hour for the whole series.

And the car crash…. One of the most silly things i’ve seen on a tv show. It’s like the writers wanted to be smart by having a flashforward scene in the first episode but then got to the final episode and realising they couldn’t fit it into the story but had to do it anyway.

I mean it contributed nothing and they all walked away from a fairly serious crash with NO injury. Got a taxi home ffs.

And no other car stopped to see if they were ok on a busy motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

there was something else odd about the car crash. I can't remember exactly but they arrive somewhere and had some minor cuts and told somebody (the priest?) that they were in a car accident, and that character was going on like they were cheating death or something, whatever it was the character appearred to be talking like he knew it was a very serious crash, which could have easily killed them, even though the evidence of the minor cuts would make you think otherwise.

why was that odd ? this wasnt the first time the priest had made these comments

he was a religious nut

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tom Pelphrey finally receives an Emmy nomination

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally finished this up. A very abrupt ending and never sure how I feel about those; always leave your audience wanting more I guess. But overall was a slightly disjointed, muddle final season.

My brain long since checked out when it came to internal logic; the show clearly existed for the purposes of watching the Byrds keep plates spinning while the ground would shake every time a single one was fixed. It was Crisis Management: The Series. That often meant "reality" took a pause purely for the sake of shock & drama - but that's fine. Once I accepted this I lived with it and if nothing else, the show was consistent with those loose dynamics. The "joy" was watching this cast of truly horrible characters try to stay ahead of each other. Many were out and out scenery chewing caricatures, tipping a hat towards that unreality: Darlene was insane, top to bottom; but I loved every scene this psychopath walked into. Her relationship with Wyatt gross but magnetic at the same time.

I'm sorry Wendy didn't meet a sticky end TBH; perhaps of all the characters her fall was the most pronounced, insofar as once she had a taste of power & violence, she couldn't let go, and even let her own brother fall into the blender. I could just about believe Marty only wanted to get out of the situation he found himself in, however passive he was in reaching for it. Wendy came to love it.

Ruth's death was a little cheap and lazy, but it was coming. I choose to read her compliance as an acknowledgement of that. She thought she was smarter than the Byrds, the cartel, the corporations; she realised at the last minute she was never going to win that battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I stopped watching for over a year but have to say the last season hooked me. Sure some of the plots we're a bit ridiculous. The whole premise of the show was . It was good entertainment though. I liked how Julie changed my from a bland nothing character to a cold hearted unlikeable badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The whole series has been enjoyable, in spite of some of the preposterous narratives concocted in the ‘4 steps forwards, three steps back’ route to the finale. It has been compared here as (obviously weaker) cousins to firstly (as an answer to) Breaking Bad, and latterly The Sopranos. The actual responses to the finale I’d compare to the mass responses to Games of Thrones - not as bad as I expected, probably because they were kindly lowered for me; ok, that’s pushing any analogy, but while its scope might not be as epic, it was sometimes as fantastical.

Just as the Sopranos and Dexter had us rooting for psychopaths, Ozark had us if not rooting for the Byrds, then interested in the rollercoaster fight for survival as the mother of escape artistry. The series seemed to be about the destruction left in their wake as they tried to keep the family together, and the ability to put moral ambiguity to one side to achieve this, at the same time as living out the American dream. Incredulity was stretched to breaking point, and often broken, but I enjoyed the rollercoaster, even if the last season and the finale felt like it was manufactured to fit the ending, instead of an organic but enjoyable mess similar to what had led up to it. I would have preferred an ugly but organic presentation, rather a gift-wrapped ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ruth resurrected to have a Nepresso with George Clooney 😁 just seen the ad

Advertisement