Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Try a smaller one, they usually will manually check out the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Full Bean

Hi. I am hoping you (or someone) can help, I am moving from Pure Telecom to Sky, I need an SIVF number but Pure only has an SIBT number, I have asked them 3 times, and they say this is all they have, Sky says the SIBT fails when it is used. The question is, is Pure messing me about, or do they genuinely not have an SIVF number? Any help is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭zg3409

If virgin is available at new house try moving your box and plugging it in. I did this from.one part of Dublin to.another part and it just worked. It was not a new house like yours so virgin may not have actually run in the cable. This way you keep your virgin contract (using old address) and switch to SIRO when it's enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Does anyone know what type of fibre cable siro use.

Trying to see if I can run my own from utility room to outside white box (there is a conduit there) but siro say it's too small for their cable. I could possibly convince them to splice it and sve them drilling..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

SIVF is a Vodafone account number. Each provider has different SIRO account prefixes - Westnet is SIWN, for example. I'm guessing Pure's is SIBT because they're white-labelling a BT product.

No idea why the SIBT number would be failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Full Bean

Thanks for that. I was thinking it might have been a Vodafone number, when I googled SIVF, only Vodafone came up but I wasn't 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sandman1212

Wouldn't Pure telecom have an SIPT number instead of an SIBT? You might check your bill as PureTelecom doesn't make it as clear as they should.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of Maynooth is now live, it seems. Unfortunately, not my gaff. Do hope they've not just done the easier estates with better ESB ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Living in Tallaght, will this service ever be available here or will I just have to wait until fibre is installed in my estate?

Newish build

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I've switched my SIRO from Sky to Vodafone. Does anyone know how long the switch over takes?

The Actavo engineer who brought me out the Vodafone box, literally just plugged it in (incorrectly) and left, said it takes 30 minutes for the broadband to be activated with the new provider. It's been three days and Vodafone are saying that Actavo forgot to close the order and that I just need to wait until the engineer closes the order.

Am a bit in the dark here.

Edit: Actavo now saying order is complete, contact Vodafone. Vodafone are saying they can't check anything as their systems are down.

I'll update this post later for future reference for anyone else in this same situation.

Edit 2 for anyone who might be in this situation: Vodafone saying the order is still not closed on the SIRO side.

Actavo are saying it is. They've since contacted SIRO who said "Due to a number of repairs ongoing, some customers orders have been affected". Given another week to wait.

Post edited by fifth on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

I just got Vodafone SIRO 500 Mbps installed.

After repeated testing, I've found the download speeds are great (~520 Mbps) but I'm consistently only getting ~51 Mbps upload when Voadafone claims the upload speed should be 90 Mbps.

Are these lower then advertised upload speeds typical?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just did a test here. I have gigabit - and on wifi I'm getting upload of nearly 200Mb/s so does seem to be slower than expected...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

An upload of 200 is normal for older gigabit packages. Current ones are only 100 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks to be. Digiweb are offering 500/50 so I’d presume the others are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

I didn't find much info about SIRO upload speeds on Vodafone's website except for this (under 'General information about broadband speed availability') which looks to be out of date for 500Mbps. 50Mb upload it is then rather than 100Mb.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/broadband-and-landline-hub/broadband-landline/data-speed-information.html

•  For 500Mbps service the maximum committed and normally available download speed is above 450 Mbps and upload speed is 90Mbps.
    • For 1 Gbps service the maximum committed and normally available download speed is above 900 Mbps and upload speed is 90Mbps. For 2 Gbps service the maximum committed and normally available speed is above 1800 Mbps and upload speed is 180Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oscan

Is there any sort of comparison of SIRO providers somewhere? Is there any substantial difference other than the prices/packages? Are any particularly **** at customer service etc? Searched for a bit and didn't find anything.

I have Digiweb, Sky, Vodafone, fastcom and Pure available to me, so just trying to sort through the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Is anyone familiar with the SIRO installation process? My estate is due to come online over the coming months. I'm in the middle of building an extension and want to ensure I'm future proofing myself.

Anyone know if there's limitations as to where the internal SIRO box can go? I presume a cable has to be ran from the ESB box to the internal SIRO box? Is it possible to get that cable run internally before SIRO is even available in my area? I'm hoping to avoid chasing walls if I want to install SIRO down the line. The extension is a flat root, with no attic, so I'm afraid I might run into issues down the line. Should I consider running a fibre cable from my ESB box into my comms cabinet to future proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

I don't have experience but can offer general comments- expect a cable without joins from the SIRO distribution point (pole or chamber) to your termination point - you will need 13A socket for SIRO device and another for the router - I would install conduit big enough for the cable and with generous bend radius and draw wire (google fibre bend radius for guidance). Somebody can advise if installer will splice fibre at the meter box. SIRO probably has an online guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

There may be a maximum distance from the entry point to the termination point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

That's probably the best way to go. Another alternative might be to find an obvious location for the ONT inside the house not too far from the meter box that has a power socket and run ethernet from there back to the Comms room. ONT and router don't have to be beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Looking for some advice. I got SIRO 1Gbps installed today from Digiweb. When I do a Speedtest I get approx. 100Mbps down but a solid 90-100 upload too. While 100Mbps down would do me for now should it not be much faster than that cost aside? I'm connecting to the Fritzbox using an iPhone 13 Pro and it maxed at 101Mbps down. I cannot connect my Macbook via ethernet to check as I haven't the ethernet adapter to hand. Another family member is on Eir FTTH through Pure Telecom using the same iPhone and would always get 430+ on their 500Mbps plan. Does the download take some time to stabalise or should I call Digiweb support?

On a separate note I ordered phone as part of the package and was assigned an area code the opposite end of the county and was told they only assign one area code for the county when I rang them and they wouldn't be able to change it. Not the end of the world but I did find that strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hello. You should be getting at least 460 MB down on your WIFI connection, but that will depend on which server you carried out the test on when using Speedtest.net. Also it will depend on the WI FI network setting on the Fritzbox. To find this log in to the modem (https://fritz.box) and enter the password (found either on the base of the modem or on the quick start guide that came with it) When logged in click on WI FI - WI FI Network and scroll down to Active Frequency Bands. When there ensure 5 GHZ is ticked and click apply at the end of the page. Then test again after setting your iPhone and/or Macbook to 5 Ghz (if necessary). If you are still getting 100 Mb down then contact support on 1902 and highlight the issue. It is a shame you cannot connect to the Fritzbox using an Ethernet cable, as you should be getting at least 930-940 Mb on a 1 Gb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Quick question ?

Do all the fibre providers use the Fritzbox in their installations ?

Getting connected to Vodafone in a couple of weeks.

No Digiweb do and some Pure connections have the Fritzbox, I'm not sure about some of the smaller providers. Vodafone use the Gigabox modem. I'm currently with Vodafone FTTC and using a Gigabox. While I have zero issues with it I've read that the Gigabox is a mixed bag from other users on here.

Thanks @cunnijo for the response. I'll give them a call and see. Their customer service is a pleasure to deal with compared to the other larger providers too (not that Digiweb is all that small of a company either) Hopefully it's a simple fix

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When I do a Speedtest I get approx. 100Mbps down but a solid 90-100 upload too.

The connection from the Fritzbox to the ONT might be stuck at 100Mb/s rather than gigabit. Try a different (known good) cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Thanks for that Ah-Watch.

Do you have the Gigabox or Gigabox + modem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have Vodafone FTTH & the router provided is the Gigabox. I have had no issues with it since installation. Post installation I moved the router to a different location to improve WiFi distribution around the house. The reason for this being I wanted the ONT to be installed at a specific location but this wasn't the best spot for the router in respect of WiFi distribution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement